HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roenick talking retirement?

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 11:42 AM
MPFly

vCash: 500
Roenick talking retirement?

Here is the tread from SI.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ick/index.html

Is it just talk as Hitch thinks?

Old
02-15-2004, 11:43 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Roenick wouldn't just bring serious talks up in his interviews out of the blue if he wasn't at least considering it in some form or another.

I do think there is more than a 50% chance that this is his last season in the NHL, even if he does play in the playoffs.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:55 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
He seems to be really shaken off...

Old
02-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Rex88

That and the article in the Philly paper this am were very sad. To have him talk of retirement when he is still very good and one of the true characters that bring life to the NHL is sad.
Say it aint so JR.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:21 PM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
hey said on ABC with Darren Pang that he is considering it because it's his 9th concussion. that would SUCK big time, he's got a ton of good hockey in him still

Old
02-15-2004, 12:21 PM
nucks2001

vCash:
He has had 9 concussions now. Isn't that more than Lindros? Either way, 9 concussions is an awful lot.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:44 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

We're going to lose the bulk of our roster sooner or later...

Mark Recchi: 36 years old
Eric Desjardins: 34 years old
John Leclair: 34 years old
Jeremy Roenick: 34 years old
Tony Amonte: 33 years old
Keith Primeau: 33 years old

Even assuming everyone besides Roenick stays healthy, all these men should be in retirement within 3 years.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
We're going to lose the bulk of our roster sooner or later...

Mark Recchi: 36 years old
Eric Desjardins: 34 years old
John Leclair: 34 years old
Jeremy Roenick: 34 years old
Tony Amonte: 33 years old
Keith Primeau: 33 years old

Even assuming everyone besides Roenick stays healthy, all these men should be in retirement within 3 years.

Hopefully, just in time for our young guys. I think you're right about Roenick though. He may open his mouth without thinking a lot but I also don't believe he'd be talking about it if he wasn't contemplating it.

Old
02-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Charge_Seven

Sad to hear from a hockey perspective, but it's crazy how many injuries in the past week or so have been good news for the Leafs...normally all the injuries happen to the Leafs, so we're upset about them. lol

Hopefully this is just him being a little cautious and he changes his mind, he adds to the league in his own special way, both positive and negative, but definitely a guy the league is better with than without.

Old
02-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

I agree, it's extremely sad to hear. Love him or hate him, Roenick is a class guy, and one of the best personalities the game has now. I would hate to see him retire, but seeing what a great personality he has, It would be horible to see a "freak" injury take that away from him.

My prediction is JR will return for the playoffs and play like a man on a mission. JR sees this team as his best chance at a cup(regardless of what cynical Flyer fans may say, this is how JR sees it.), and I expect him to do everything he can to win it this year.

If we somehow win it this year JR would likely retire, and he'd go down as a legend in Philadelphia.

Old
02-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Brokencow

JR is my favorite hockey player and im a san jose fan. The guy is grit, finness, strength, and heart all put into one player. I also kinda like him cause hes one of the few great american players.

Not to sound bad but i didn't even see what happened to him. I mean i heard, but is there any video or pictures? It's weird to see your favorite hockey player just dissapear. I need closure

Old
02-15-2004, 05:14 PM
dedalus

I'll say one thing, whether or not he retires this year, JR will ne day make a great color analyst. He knows his hockey, he's political, he speaks his mind.

Actually all that might be too dangerous for ESPN.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:23 PM
stanley

I don't know. On the rare occasion when I tie on a good one, I find myself swearing off liquor the next morning like Pat Robertson does Satan. When I find myself completely incapacitated, I REALLY mean it - for a couple of days. I'm not a big drinker by any means, but I've been known to tip a few from time to time.

My point is that I am going to wait a few days until JR has a chance to think about his situation. If he feels he's had enough and wants to retire, then so be it - after all, it's his life. But count me as one who will be surprised if he chooses to bow out.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:26 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll stop talking about the Flyers franchise in general and stop to say that I do have an enormous amount of respect for Roenick, seeing how he's my favorite Flyer and probably my favorite NHL player. He's not afraid to speak his mind, and has an extreme amount of grit that no one else in the NHL could match if they were his age or in the same physical shape that he is due to his series of concussions.

Closed Thread