HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Colorado @ Detroit

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2004, 04:51 PM
MeN_Ace2

vCash: 500
Some sour posts in this thread.

Teemu played an excellent game, and it was great to see Kariya - Selanne get time together. I hope this becomes a trend, cause it is so much fun watching the two on ice together.

Colorado looked dynamic today. Great win.

Old
02-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Stastny

Send a message via AIM to Stastny
Great, great win for the Avs. Both teams played very well, but the Avs managed to bury the puck when it counted and walked away with 2 points.

Old
02-14-2004, 05:58 PM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21
Selanne is fast becoming the biggest five million dollar bust in Avs franchise history. We still don't have the talent depth that's plagued us vs the wings for years. Not having Nikolishin is hurting as well. Time to get another decent third liner PL.
Selšnne was amazing today. He plays with stonehands Worrell for crying out loud.

Teemu needs time in decent lines and not with goons. Every time he was on the ice, he made something happen. Scored a goal and was close on few occasions. Set up Worrell and Kariya, saved a goal...

Yeah, a bust.

Old
02-14-2004, 07:57 PM
avfan#21

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad
Selšnne was amazing today. He plays with stonehands Worrell for crying out loud.

Teemu needs time in decent lines and not with goons. Every time he was on the ice, he made something happen. Scored a goal and was close on few occasions. Set up Worrell and Kariya, saved a goal...

Yeah, a bust.
And if he was playing up to his capabilities one could also argue that he wouldn't be playing with goons.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:13 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
And if he was playing up to his capabilities one could also argue that he wouldn't be playing with goons.
I think it's becoming pretty clear after the numerous comments he's made that he really is trying hard, and I think it's just that physically his knee won't let him do it, and that effects all aspects of his game, including backchecking. Tonight, and the last game, Teemu seemed to be skating much better, and he had much better games, so hopefully he will continue to progress, because he could be a big asset for us in the playoffs.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
lol. Thomas Holmstrom got him to take a penalty, and the wings scored a goal. The first game this past Wednesday, Worrell believed he could get Maltby to fight after Maltby hit I THINK Tanguay with a clean check. He took a penalty then and the wings scored as well.

Hes proving why Goons never play in the play-offs, and why Detroit doesnt go out and get one.
Yea that interference penalty sure was a result of Holmstrom getting him off his game. You're right that is pretty funny that he thought Maltby would be a man and fight, instead of just yelling, "I'll do whatever I want" in the pussiest voice I've heard in a long time.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:57 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

A great game, my buddy thought it was of the elusive 60-minute-effort variety. I'm inclined to agree. The Avs didn't make many mistakes and didn't let up for any extended periods of time. Aebischer deserves first star for those phenomenal saves on Hull. Skrastins gets the second because while his goal wasn't the game-winner, it was the most important. We don't score and the 2nd ends, the momentum is completely different going into the 3rd.

Really looking forward to Monday's tilt against the Canucks. Vancouver'll be hungry with their run of bad luck going into this one.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
A great game, my buddy thought it was of the elusive 60-minute-effort variety. I'm inclined to agree.
I think you and your buddy are right. I guess if it had to be one team to play a full 60 minues against, it should be the Wings. Just another indication that this team needs that playoff adrenaline rush, to play the game they are capable of.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:16 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Legace was pretty good tonight, but damn, Aebischer was better.

Dear Brett Hull,

You're my batch.

Sincerely,
Davie Aebischer

PS - Wear a dress next time, it'll make you feel a bit better about it all.

Great effort by the boys.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:23 PM
CanadaAvalanche

I was at the game today and it was one of the greatest hockey experiences of my life. The Avs played great and Aebby an absolutely amazing save that sent the place into mayhem. I was surrounded by Wings fans and I was wearing an Avs jersey. After the first goal I jumped yelling and yelled "How about that?!". Then this Wings fan yells back "Sit down Freak Show! you root for the Avalanche!", I just laughed at him. Then all throughout the game people were yelling "Forsberg's a woman" and when Foote got the puck people would say "crack his teeth!' or "Break his foot!". It was a great experience and I think I'm gonna go again next year.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Should be a pretty pissed Vancouver team coming into Pepsi Center on Monday night (just lost to Anaheim tonight).

I wont go into a long song and dance about the game this afternoon in Detroit. I felt the play overall between both teams was even. The Avs better capitalized on their opportunities than Detroit. Good special teams for Colorado was huge and that turned out to be one of the deciding factors. Of course the spectacular saves by Aebischer cannot go unmentioned. I felt he had to turn in a better performance than he did in the Feb. 5th game.

On another note....I would just like to thank Gabe Gauthier for saving DU's collective ***** from near embarrassment tonight....what is it about Minnesota State and erasing huge 3rd period leads

Cazzy feels my pain!

Old
02-15-2004, 12:49 AM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
Should be a pretty pissed Vancouver team coming into Pepsi Center on Monday night (just lost to Anaheim tonight).

I wont go into a long song and dance about the game this afternoon in Detroit. I felt the play overall between both teams was even. The Avs better capitalized on their opportunities than Detroit. Good special teams for Colorado was huge and that turned out to be one of the deciding factors. Of course the spectacular saves by Aebischer cannot go unmentioned. I felt he had to turn in a better performance than he did in the Feb. 5th game.
Damn Jori, you're tough to please .

Old
02-15-2004, 01:24 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeN_Ace2
I havent seen Selanne skate that good for years.
He was flying tonight! Backchecking, forchecking, shooting, everything. I was really impressed with the way he played tonight.

Also, Aebischer saved the Avs points on two seperate occasions. WOW!

Old
02-15-2004, 01:31 AM
fcbarcelona

i have to agree with you guys about selanne. my homeboy certainly looked like the finnish flash of old. kariya and him even provided the avs with some duo-style scoring chances. this is why selanne's worth the 6 mill he's getting paid right now (also helps of course that paul's only making 1.2 mill). selanne has the potential to be a real impact player for the avs in the playoffs. it would be perfect if he and peter could leave the game with the cup.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23

On another note....I would just like to thank Gabe Gauthier for saving DU's collective ***** from near embarrassment tonight....what is it about Minnesota State and erasing huge 3rd period leads

Cazzy feels my pain!
Aye, did Gauthier go undrafted or did he just opt out?

Old
02-15-2004, 04:21 AM
Upon1

As a Ducks fan from as far back as the 1997-2000 Kariya-Selanne era who decided to watch two stanley cup contenders go at it today all I can say is wow! These Avs are freakin scary!

On a personal note what a joy to see Kariya and Selanne out there together doing there thing. Looked like a lot of fun.

Old
02-15-2004, 04:48 AM
MeN_Ace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upon1
As a Ducks fan from as far back as the 1997-2000 Kariya-Selanne era who decided to watch two stanley cup contenders go at it today all I can say is wow! These Avs are freakin scary!

On a personal note what a joy to see Kariya and Selanne out there together doing there thing. Looked like a lot of fun.

I hope this is only sign of things to come, and Kariya - Selanne see lots more ice-time together.

What a wondeful game today! Such a joy to watch!

Old
02-15-2004, 05:03 AM
eboz

According to NHL.com's shift chart it seems that Kariya and Selšnne played with Steve Moore pretty much at least in third period. I think that's a good solution, because now they have a "corner-player" like Steve Rucchin was in Anaheim. That's what they need.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:57 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboz
According to NHL.com's shift chart it seems that Kariya and Selšnne played with Steve Moore pretty much at least in third period. I think that's a good solution, because now they have a "corner-player" like Steve Rucchin was in Anaheim. That's what they need.

I've been thinking they should be put with Niko when he comes back,
and with a full lineup put Kono and Svatos (well... might be wishful thinking) with Sakic.

And btw. I'm probably not the first to think of this, but watching the highlights, one of the commentators said 'collision'...
If you say Ni before saying collision you'd have a nice nickname

Old
02-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboz
Yeah Moore didn't look out of place with them...he is somewhat like a very poor man's Rucchin. Good defensively, will take the body, and just enough ability to not throw Kariya and Selanne out of whack when they are in the offensive zone.

Liles continues to impress. Does he have a good sense of when to jump into the play or what? And here's my favorite part...he shoots. All the time. Anywhere on the ice. If there's nothing open, he doesn't dally around with the puck or try to make the impossible pass. He just gets it on net. It seems like every team he gets the puck on net, something good happens, even if he isn't directly involved on the scoresheet. I'm beginning to think it was a travesty he wasn't in the Young Stars game. And here's the biggest joke...on HF's rookie watch, he rates neither in their top 10 nor in the honorable mention section. Granted, this is a great rookie crop, but seeing some of those honorable mentions and not seeing Liles is just a kick in the crotch.

Seems like few outside of Denver have any concept of how good this kid is, because most seem to think he's just the token 6th man on a powerhouse team.

Last edited by Foppa: 02-15-2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old
02-15-2004, 08:29 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Moore did set up Selanne on a nice opportunity (in the third period I believe)...but you heard the broadcast yesterday, the Avs used at least 30 different forward combinations. Not surprising due to the lost personnel.

Somebody mentioned Gabe Gauthier....no he didn't get drafted last year and I'm 99% sure that he did opt in. I believe he is still draft eligible (he turned 20 in January of this year...so if he isn't eligible please clear that up for me somebody) for this year. Wouldn't mind seeing the Avs nab him with a late pick....Colorado hasn't drafted players from DU or CC....there is some talent there (hate to admit it about CC though ).

BTW Breck...I resemble that remark

Old
02-15-2004, 09:14 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Or maybe you could argue, that if he replaced Kono in 2nd line, 3rd line would be no threat at all anymore.

Old
02-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Mr. Avalanche

Just got done watching the game as I was out of town and man did Morris stink yesterday. The whole first period he played terrible. Zetterberg on a 1 on 1 situation undressed him and almost scored. A few bad clear outs, misplays on the puck, I coulda swore he had the # 41 on last night.

Closed Thread