HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Game Thread: NYR @ PHI

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2004, 10:27 PM
blah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255
He clearly said it was Fedoruk's comment. As far as the timing goes, don't you generally make comments about something when its relevant, like just afrer something happened ( as with the whole Holik thing when he was screaming from the bench at Brashear after Brashear's fight). Thats when your going to mention somethiing like that, when its relevant to whats going on. Your not going to stick the comment in after a goal was scored.
Pang was bashing the Rangers for most of the game. It was a national broadcast and therefore unacceptable. He is supposed to be unbiased in his calling of the game and he obviously wasn't. Some of things, and the frequency in which he said them, I wouldn't expect the biggest homer announcers to say about the opposition. If he hates the Rangers that's fine, but don't spend the entire game bashing them. At worst, if he's that biased, he should've built up the Flyers instead of tearing apart the Rangers. How does the NHL expect to bring more fans into the game if you have announcers openly saying how horrible a certain team is.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:38 PM
pld459666

Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue381
For some reason I decided to watch the end of the game again, and still think that there is no need for Holik to fight. Rangers pay him $9 million a year to play hockey, not spend time in the penalty box. We have Lindros and Jagr out, so what's the point in risking Holik getting injured in a fight. Especially since if that happened Sather would go out and trade Tjutin or Lundmark or both to pick up a center to replace him. Simon is getting paid good money to fight. When Scott Stevens injured everybody with high hits, I don't remember hearing how he needs to fight to gain respect. Number 1 centers and top defensemen do not fight. That's what the goons are for.
It has to do with long built fustrations over the last 10+ years.

****, I'd feel the same way had a big 230Lbs guy knocked out my Captain (well not Messier today, I pray for that) with a hit that could have been mis-construed as a cheapshot.

I'd want someone to go after him that game and this game and I'd want to see him drop the gloves as well, but I realize now and would if the shoe was on the other foot that it doesn't serve any real purpose for that player to oblige.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:40 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlue381
When Scott Stevens injured everybody with high hits, I don't remember hearing how he needs to fight to gain respect. Number 1 centers and top defensemen do not fight. That's what the goons are for.
#1. Stevens has dropped the gloves plenty of times ocer the course of his career. Now that he's older he'll only fight about once a year or so, but when he was younger he was a very willing combatant.

#2. Holik is not a #1 center. Ideally he's a #3 center

#3. Some #1 centers do fight, usually the ones that are Holik's size (Thornton, Lindros)

Old
02-14-2004, 10:44 PM
pld459666

My last comment on the subject is this

The guys that made the comments are hacks.

In any profession you aspire to be the best at what you do.

Have we ever heard Doc Emrick make a comment such as this? How about John Davidson? Even Howie Rose has class and sense enough not to do that.

The fact of the matter is that neither has an established gig with another team and they hooked up with a network and get rotated through the league.

There's probably a reason for that.

I would really like to hear how they broadcast the next game for ABC as their opinions may have a much lower profile.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

if the players showed as much emotion about the game as their fans do, the score wouldnt have been what it was.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:12 PM
dvaske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Somers- I can't make out what the crowd is saying, something about the Rangers...

Pang- Their saying the Rangers SUCK!

Think he's just abit biased?
No bias.... there's more than enough empirical evidence to support that assertion.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:19 PM
pld459666

Nice avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaske
No bias.... there's more than enough empirical evidence to support that assertion.

there's one pig, but the rest are cute

Old
02-14-2004, 11:26 PM
dvaske

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Still not getting the point.

In order for any broadcaster to have any credibility whatsoever they have to be able to seperate themselves from the action they are covering.
JD and Sam are the biggest shills in broadcasting. Saw them both wearing (and shilling) $tRanger$ 70s retro jerseys as they broad cast the game against Boston a few weeks ago.
But then again that's probably the least of the damage they've done to their credibility.
Over the last 4 years I think i've heard JD and sam promote all the following great aquistions that would end their playoff drought:
Bure
Fluery
Holik
Poti
Dunam
Kovalov
Jagr

Old
02-14-2004, 11:37 PM
pld459666

I have a question for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaske
JD and Sam are the biggest shills in broadcasting. Saw them both wearing (and shilling) $tRanger$ 70s retro jerseys as they broad cast the game against Boston a few weeks ago.
But then again that's probably the least of the damage they've done to their credibility.
Over the last 4 years I think i've heard JD and sam promote all the following great aquistions that would end their playoff drought:
Bure
Fluery
Holik
Poti
Dunam
Kovalov
Jagr

what has the above have to do with calling out a player and questioning a players manhood on National TV and disguise it in the form of "so and so said blah blah blah"

Yes they are shills yes they are homers, but they have never called out a player while broadcasting a game, and that is what we are talking about here.

Let's get with the program shall we?

Old
02-15-2004, 06:03 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
Yes they are shills yes they are homers, but they have never called out a player while broadcasting a game, and that is what we are talking about here.
A couple of years ago, JD called Oleg Kvasha a wuss during a broadcast. That falls under this category.

Old
02-15-2004, 07:01 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
if the players showed as much emotion about the game as their fans do, the score wouldnt have been what it was.
True but I for one am glad the score is what it is. Ranger fans owe the Flyers a debt of gratitude. This morning the team is 10 points behind the Isles and in 11th place. ESPN did the math yesterday and revealed that if the Isles play .500 hockey, the Rangers still need to win 18 of 25. It's over.

Now if only Ottawa can make it more official ....

Which begs another question, while the team is eliminated for practical purposes, anybody know when it the playoffs become mathmetically impossible? Tragic number, anyone?

Old
02-15-2004, 07:28 AM
tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
A couple of years ago, JD called Oleg Kvasha a wuss during a broadcast. That falls under this category.
if he did say that then he was wrong but at least he said it on a local broadcast viewed by mostly ranger fans. i've never heard j.d. or sam for that matter say anything as stupid as pang's "ranger's suck" comment during a NATIONAL broadcast. it's bad enough that our team does suck but pang repeating a flyer fan chant was uncalled for. the players don't watch the broadcast the fans do so if he's got something to say along those lines let him say directly to the players or the management. maybe in his eyes he's no different than holik....he's got no balls.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Fletch

No problem with Holik...

not being a fighter. It's hockey, not boxing. There's a reason why guys like Domi, et al, have made it to the NHL and have stuck.

As for Stevens...as a youngin', he was a hothead and would fight almost anybody. During the last 10 years, he's mostly stayed away from fighting. Nothing wrong with that.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:36 AM
pld459666

You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
That is of course if he infact said it.

JD had every opportunuity to comment about the time when Yashin broke Kloucek's nose while Kloucek was being held and didn't comment, so while I didn't hear JD call Kvasha a wuss, if he said it he is was and remains wrong for the comment.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:37 AM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
In that article Fedoruk also said it'd be in the back of Holik's mind that he was looking for him. It was, Holik obviously played scared the entire game. I don't see how you can possibly defend Holik. Mr. 9 mil let a 4th line goon throw him off his game before the game even started. What is that?

Holik broke his stick at the end of the first game like he was pissed and would handle business today. Instead of coming up big he allowed Markov, Brashear, and Fedoruk to just abuse the Rags all game long. This was a statement game for Holik unfortunately he made the wrong one.

If you think Holik fighting Brash would've just been for the sake of fighting then you're the one who needs to grow up, or least open your eyes a tad.

They have to wear the same jersey Holik does. I thought Holik thoroughly embarrassed himself and the team he plays for today. He let a rookie and top line prospect fight his battles.
-
Also, Pang was very biased against the Rangers all game long. Why does he have an axe to grind against them?
My friend, you're the one with his eyes fully closed. Who's Fedoruk to say what Holik is thinking? Who's the rookie and top line prospect that fought for HoliK? Lundmark? He fought Markhov after a shift where they were going after each other for a full min. That had nothing to do with Holik. What was the reason to fight Fedoruk/Brashear? Why? WHy did he have to defend himself against something he didn't do in a 6-2 game? He embarrassed this team? Who the **** cares....they embarassed themselves enough with there play over this entire season. Like I said, well just have to disagree on the issue because in my eyes Holik shouldn't have to answer the bell when he didn't do anything dirty in the first place.

Last edited by JCProdigy: 02-15-2004 at 08:51 AM.
Old
02-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
True but I for one am glad the score is what it is. Ranger fans owe the Flyers a debt of gratitude. This morning the team is 10 points behind the Isles and in 11th place. ESPN did the math yesterday and revealed that if the Isles play .500 hockey, the Rangers still need to win 18 of 25. It's over.

Now if only Ottawa can make it more official ....

Which begs another question, while the team is eliminated for practical purposes, anybody know when it the playoffs become mathmetically impossible? Tragic number, anyone?

---And that doesn't even take into account that we have two other teams to pass, one of which (Buffalo) has now opened up a 5-point lead on us. Not sure of a tragic number, but it seems to me that mathematical elimination is probably a couple of weeks away at this point.

My worst fear is that this team beats ths Isles twice later this month, pulls within 5-6 points, gives everyone false hope that the playoffs are still within reach, and Sather becomes a buyer rather than a seller at the deadline.

The best thing for this team would be to get eliminated ASAP. I hate to root against the Rangers, but the madness has to stop, this whole damn thing needs to be blown to smithereens, and we need to start fresh. Two losses to the Isles would surely be the final nail in the coffin. Even a split might do that depending on what else happens. If it were up to me every (and I do mean every) veteran would get shopped at the deadline. A fire sale like the league has never seen. And yes, it would include Messier and Leetch. It would even include guys like Jagr and Holik whose contracts would have to be partially eaten. I'd finish out the season with whoever I could get in return, and callups from the Pack. They couldn't possibly do any worse than the current roster has.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:55 AM
JCProdigy

Sorry but I have to be selfish when it comes to Leetch and being trade. I want him to get his 1000th point with this team. I want Leetch to retire a life time Ranger. He's the only thing left in this organization that makes me want to turn the game on every night. Take that away and there isn't much reason for me to watch the Ranger's get their butts beat every game.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:59 AM
anonymous*

For clarification, Darren Pang is there for color commentary, and he was colorful.

Primeau is the captain of the Flyers and the most important thing is keeping cool and getting the win. If he said Holik didn't intend it, it is just as possible he said that to make sure his team focused on the game and not just Holik. If you actually watch the replay you will notice that Holik was looking in the same direction as Primeau, in fact Primeau was between the play and Holik. It's not a stretch to believe he didn't change course so he would hit him, but even still it wouldn't fall under the catagory of intent to injure, just intent to be a jerk***.

You're paying Holik 9 mil. to be a *****? NJ doesn't miss him, a Cup without him certainly proved his worth to them, and he hasn't helped the Rangers much. Defend him all you like, but he is just another problem with the team. Try to remeber the psychology of the game and how players actions, or inactions, affect that, then maybe you can understand why a 9 mil a year guy should drop the gloves once in a while.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
Sorry but I have to be selfish when it comes to Leetch and being trade. I want him to get his 1000th point with this team. I want Leetch to retire a life time Ranger. He's the only thing left in this organization that makes me want to turn the game on every night. Take that away and there isn't much reason for me to watch the Ranger's get their butts beat every game.

---I too would hate to see Leetch elsewhere, but moving him is something I'd have to consider. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade him just to get rid of him, something I'd do with some of the others slobs on this team, I'd only do it if I got a good enough return. It would be hard to see him go, but if a team came calling with a package that I thought made the organization's future brighter, it would be hard for me not to pull the trigger.

Old
02-15-2004, 09:02 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
I'd like to see Leetch win another Cup. Hell, I'd like see to him in a ****ing playoff game. Ain't gonna do that here.

Old
02-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Fletch

Primeau said Holik didn't intend it...

and he meant it. It had nothing to do with keeping cool, etc., because Primeau made a comment about Holik's penchant for dirty play as a preface to saying this was legal. A stupid comment might I add and it didn't really give color to the situation.

Old
02-15-2004, 09:07 AM
anonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and he meant it. It had nothing to do with keeping cool, etc., because Primeau made a comment about Holik's penchant for dirty play as a preface to saying this was legal. A stupid comment might I add and it didn't really give color to the situation.
Got proof of Primeau's intent? No you don't do you?

I can only assume you meant Pang's comment. If you weren't a Rangers fan you would see how colorful that was.

Old
02-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Fletch

Got proof?

of course not. I'm not friends with Primeau and all I can do is make an educated guess. I made the guess from this quote:

Philadelphia Inquirer:

The puck was along the wall; I turned the wrong way and skated into Holik," Primeau said.

Hitchcock and Primeau's teammates intimated that it was a cheap hit.

"That is commonplace for him," Primeau said of Holik. "This particular one, I don't think was intentional."

Primeau has no problem calling Holik cheap in this, but said the most recent one wasn't intentional. Now, why would he say it's not intentional if he has no problem saying things like that about Holik? Not sure, and his teammates went after Holik anyways. You pontificated about what Primeau's intent was in regards to saying or not saying anything about the hit, and I'm doing the same.

And no, I'm not talking about Pang's comments. And personally, most in here aren't looking at the world through Rangers-colored glasses. Most of us whole-heartedly recognize the shortcomings of this team and most have said that this team does in fact suck.

Old
02-15-2004, 09:25 AM
anonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
of course not. I'm not friends with Primeau and all I can do is make an educated guess. I made the guess from this quote:

Philadelphia Inquirer:

The puck was along the wall; I turned the wrong way and skated into Holik," Primeau said.

Hitchcock and Primeau's teammates intimated that it was a cheap hit.

"That is commonplace for him," Primeau said of Holik. "This particular one, I don't think was intentional."

Primeau has no problem calling Holik cheap in this, but said the most recent one wasn't intentional. Now, why would he say it's not intentional if he has no problem saying things like that about Holik? Not sure, and his teammates went after Holik anyways. You pontificated about what Primeau's intent was in regards to saying or not saying anything about the hit, and I'm doing the same.

And no, I'm not talking about Pang's comments. And personally, most in here aren't looking at the world through Rangers-colored glasses. Most of us whole-heartedly recognize the shortcomings of this team and most have said that this team does in fact suck.
Quote:
If he said Holik didn't intend it, it is just as possible he said that to make sure his team focused on the game and not just Holik
It is a suggestion of possible intent.

Quote:
and he meant it. It had nothing to do with keeping cool, etc
It is stating your opinion as fact. See the difference?

What colorless comment were you referring to?

Old
02-15-2004, 11:10 AM
GBailey93

Send a message via AIM to GBailey93
Bobby Holik

[QUOTE=Fletch]No problem with Holik....not being a fighter. It's hockey, not boxing. There's a reason why guys like Domi, et al, have made it to the NHL and have stuck.

Let me preface this with me saying that I am a Flyers fan...

You're right about Holik. Normally, I would say that Holik shouldn't fight. I remember Rich Pilon and how ticked off everyone would be at him when he would go low on Lindros. Then guys would slash at him and run him and he would draw penalties. He was a dirty player, but he would give his team PP opportunities. I think that Holik plays the same way. But, in a 6-2 game, and him being 6'5", he needs to drop his gloves. I remember Claude Lemieux and Darren McCarty, where the first time Lemieux turtled (I believe that is what he did, but he wouldn't fight). The next time they played, he asked to switch wings so he could line up against McCarty, on the opening faceoff, and fight him. Now, I don't like Claude Lemieux, but at least he had the guts once in his career to answer the bell. McCarty later admitted that he had some respect for him now as a hockey player (but not as a human being). Why won't Holik do the same? He doesn't need to fight every game, but once in a while he should drop the gloves, IMO.

Closed Thread