HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Power Play ?

View Poll Results: Who is to fault for the unsuccessful Power Play in the 07-08 season?
The coaching staff, they should be able to fix this. 7 21.88%
The players, they are the ones out there. 7 21.88%
It is a combined fault, they both need to get better. 11 34.38%
Henrik Lundqvist, for being so distractingly good looking. 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-11-2008, 05:01 PM
newyorkrangers11

vCash: 500
Power Play ?

Did not find any posts about this anywhere so sorry if there already was one. I was just wondering who you guys thought was to fault at the Rangers sub-par powerplay this past season. I hope to see improvements, for the teams sake.. and also.. well the fans sakes

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 05:04 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrangers11 View Post
Did not find any posts about this anywhere so sorry if there already was one. I was just wondering who you guys thought was to fault at the Rangers sub-par powerplay this past season. I hope to see improvements, for the teams sake.. and also.. well the fans sakes
well moving their feet instead of standing still and being predictable will help. when i see other teams pp i notice its totally different like the sharks or wings they move around the ice and not stand still in one spot.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 05:05 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
the coaches have to come up with a better system but these players have played long enough that when something doesn't work, you improvise on the PP.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 05:06 PM
newyorkrangers11

at the same time, the players need to be more confident and shoot the gosh darn puck.. just get it to the net.

Old
06-11-2008, 05:43 PM
beastly115

I voted for the coaching staff. There is absolutely no reason for a powerplay consisting of Jagr, Gomez, Drury, Shanahan, and Straka to not score.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 05:50 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I voted for the coaching staff. There is absolutely no reason for a powerplay consisting of Jagr, Gomez, Drury, Shanahan, and Straka to not score.
Pretty much

They saw for long periods of time that it wasn't working, and didn't do much to alleviate the problem. Not saying that the players are in no way responsible, but it's up to the coaching staff when nothing seems to be working.

Either that, or we have the most stubborn group of players I've ever seen.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 05:52 PM
newyorkrangers11

i also think part of the problem is that we realize the skill level on the PP and try to make the picture perfect play. The empty net tap it goal bc of the beautiful pass, the unbelievable one-timer.. when instead that is just getting us into trouble and we are barely even getting pucks to the net.

Old
06-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

I say its both coaching and players. The power play just wasnt clicking the way they wanted it too. Detroit/Pittsburgh move the puck so well and shoot the puck towards the net.

Last edited by Dredden: 06-11-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

The coaching staff no doubt.

With the lineup we had we should have been able to do MUCH better then what we did. You can blame the players all you want, but the PP is pretty much pure strategy, and that is the job of the coaching staff.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The PP was so predictable, especially with Jagr on the ice.

Its kinda silly to hold the coaches responsible, you can only teach so much, the PP is about puck possession and getting a man open for a shot, especially these days where almost every lane is defended. The players were either too transparent with their passing and shooting or they just plain missed the net(Shanahan anyone?).

How do you fix that as a coach? Oh yeah, you put Cullen on the point

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I voted the players are the ones out there....

The staff for the most part put the right guys in the right postion the players didn't execute. I'm not sure why Pearn has all of a sudden become the poster boy for all things wrong with the Rangers. He also coaches the penalty kill and the Rangers special teams under his watch is night and day what it was during the dark times (98-04)

I'd personaly hate to see Pearn move on....I think with the another years worth of chemistry and probably with a power play qb the power play will be much improved next season..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:04 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
The coaching staff no doubt.

With the lineup we had we should have been able to do MUCH better then what we did. You can blame the players all you want, but the PP is pretty much pure strategy, and that is the job of the coaching staff.
I agree, but at the same time with all that skill out there in Jagr, Shanahan, Drury, Gomez, ect., they should be able to score on thier own. I voted both players and coaches They all stink!

06-11-2008, 07:51 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I agree, but at the same time with all that skill out there in Jagr, Shanahan, Drury, Gomez, ect., they should be able to score on thier own. I voted both players and coaches They all stink!
They should, but who knows what kind of garbage the coaches were feeding them or telling them to do. We saw the same exact crap all season from the PP, which is nobody ever in front, no shots from the point, and everyone standing around. Who's job is it COACH the players and tell them what to do?

When a player is playing bad...its on him, but when everyone is playing bad..its on the coaches.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
They should, but who knows what kind of garbage the coaches were feeding them or telling them to do. We saw the same exact crap all season from the PP, which is nobody ever in front, no shots from the point, and everyone standing around. Who's job is it COACH the players and tell them what to do?

When a player is playing bad...its on him, but when everyone is playing bad..its on the coaches.
I personally think coaches can only do so much....I doubt they were feeding the players "garbage" simply because if it was just bad coaching we would've seen bad coaching in other areas..

I think and I know i'm probably in the minority the failure of the power play is on the players. Could Renney/Pearn have done more? maybe, but I'm not sure what they could've done diffrent. They preached the right things in the media about what they were telling the players what to do...the players didn't execute...it's not renney/pearns fault the rangers would play keep away with the puck more then they would shoot...

The power play was at it's best when Dawes Gomez Drury were one power play unit and Avery Dubinsky Jagr were the other unit. When Shanny was out..I'm not blaming Shanny at all this but the units showed much more chemstry....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:24 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
With the skill we have, putting the puck in the net isn't the problem. It's up to the coaches to devise a PP strategy that allows the players to do their job. They didn't do that.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Smashley

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote