HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

New York Yankees or Montreal Canadiens- More storied history?

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2004, 12:22 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
New York Yankees or Montreal Canadiens- More storied history?

It is obvious that the Montreal Canadiens and New York Yankees are the two franchises in the history of North American sports with the most prestige, championships, and detailed histories.

Which team do you think has the more storied history, and why?

Old
02-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
It is obvious that the Montreal Canadiens and New York Yankees are the two franchises in the history of North American sports with the most prestige, championships, and detailed histories.

I think I've heard of the New York Yankees. Aren't they a basketball team?

Old
02-14-2004, 01:44 PM
degroat*

Wow... what a great response.

Old
02-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

As great as the Canadiens are, the Yankees win this one in a walk.

Old
02-14-2004, 02:28 PM
BigMac1212

This seems to be fitting the phrase "comparing apples to oranges." If I was forced with chosing 1, I would go with Montreal, since the Canadiens haven't ruined hockey that we know it.

Old
02-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:

Habs because they play a real sport with athletes, not a friggen game for tubbies.

Old
02-14-2004, 02:52 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Habs because they play a real sport with athletes, not a friggen game for tubbies.
What does that have to do with which is the more storied franchise?

Old
02-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
What does that have to do with which is the more storied franchise?
Everything

Old
02-14-2004, 03:29 PM
degroat*

Uh... not really.

Old
02-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Uh... not really.
Yes, really.

Old
02-14-2004, 04:39 PM
stumpyfan32

Wow, the intelligence in this room just went through the roof.

I personally do not think that they are they far off in terms of prestige, both have the most championships in their respective sports, both have countless legends, ie Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle, Richard, Plante, Lafleur, Morenz. And both have had a number of dominating dynasties in which they dominated the league.
So I dont know, flip a coin on it.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Big Phil

It's funny because I've thought of this as well. If you asked me this ten or twenty years ago I'd have said the Montreal Canadiens. But now........ I probably would have to say the Yankees.
There are similarities: Both teams have won by far the most Championships of any other team. Both have a team that they always can beat in the playoffs, and they are both from Boston.
I think Yankee Stadium has more of a mystique than the Forum did though. And the Forum had a great feel about it. Also the Yankees had Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Ford, even Maris. Also Reggie Jackson, Henderson, Clemens, Jeter, Giambi, and now of course A-Rod.
If you compare that to Montreal who had Vezina, Morenz, Richard, Beliveau, Plante, H.Richard, Cournoyer, Lafleur, Savard, Dryden, Robinson, Roy, I think the Yankees definelty beat them. Also Montreal has had no one in nine years since Roy left that has been great. Vinnie Damphousse and Pierre Turgeon are not great by the way, and neither is Shayne Corson.
So for sure the Yankees win this one.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:16 PM
electric

The Yankees have money, the Canadiens don't. When a superstar is available, the Yankees can just outbid everyone... meanwhile, the Canadiens are on their knees to get a tax relief from the province. Why do you think we got a backup goalie and two third liners for one of the greatest goaltenders of all time? And throw in Mike Keane as well, one of the best leaders the team had.

Not to mention that baseball is a sport where building a team with money is a lot easier than hockey (see the Rangers).

Old
02-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Malefic74

This is apples to oranges. They are very similar teams in their pasts in that both built thier dynasties largely from within with a few trades to fill in holes. Both teams were blessed with excellent front office staffs as well as gifted coaches and managers. They both had stars who were larger than life, and both teams had a mystique to them and to their home stadiums.

Up until the mid-90's I would have called it a dead heat. Now with the free agency aspects of baseball, the inept CBA in hockey, it is nearly impossible to reconcile the two sports.

In terms of the propaganda and the myth the Yankees have it easily. The media in New York is far more pervasive than that of Montreal. Recent successes also have the Yankees ahead in the championships department. Yankee Stadium still stands, The Forum is gone.

In all ways the Yankees win this on paper, but I am a hockey fan, and I vote with my heart on this one, I still consider the Montreal Canadiens the best sports franchise in North America.

Old
02-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

Tha Yankees

It was much more difficult for the Yankees to win because they were competing with more than six teams as when the first Montreal dynasties came along. The Habs of the 1970's had more teams to beat out but still not as difficult as the Yankees.

Also remember for many of those championships the Yankees were not in play-offs, they had to win the pennant to make the World Series.

In hockey as long as you made the play-offs (4 of 6 in the good old days) you had a shot. In baseball you had to grind it out and win the regular season to get a ticket to the dance. Of course that has changed in recent years with basebal going to a play-oof format.

Old
02-17-2004, 06:57 PM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
The Yankees have money, the Canadiens don't. When a superstar is available, the Yankees can just outbid everyone... meanwhile, the Canadiens are on their knees to get a tax relief from the province. Why do you think we got a backup goalie and two third liners for one of the greatest goaltenders of all time? And throw in Mike Keane as well, one of the best leaders the team had.

Not to mention that baseball is a sport where building a team with money is a lot easier than hockey (see the Rangers).
The Canadiens also got first dibs on every French Canadian player that came along pre-1967...M. Richard, Morenz, Lach, Lafleur, Beliveau, Plante, Savard, H. Richard, etc. - an advantage no other team could match.

Old
02-17-2004, 08:21 PM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
The Canadiens also got first dibs on every French Canadian player that came along pre-1967...M. Richard, Morenz, Lach, Lafleur, Beliveau, Plante, Savard, H. Richard, etc. - an advantage no other team could match.

They got Lafleur by trading for the 1st overall pick in 71, not because he was from Quebec. Lach was from Saskatchewan, and Howie Morenz was from Ontario. Beliveau they got because they bought the entire Quebec Senior league (similar to Boston buying the Oshawa Generals to get Orr, someone please correct me if I am wrong here).

Montreal did have advatages that other teams didn't have, but I think the idea that they were able to have first dibs on Quebec players isn't as big a factor as most people think. I believe they are the greatest Hockey franchise because they had the best men in their front office (Sam Pollick anyone?) and that is the most important reason.

Having said all that, I think the Yankee's are the most storried franchise. Not just because they have more championships, but the whole Yankee "mystique" carry's more weight, in my opinion. And I am a Habs fan.

Old
02-17-2004, 08:26 PM
guinness
those were the days

I think it depends more on what side of the border you're from, so I'll have to go with the Yankees, even if you leave out most of the Steinbrenner-bought players and titles, they still have guys like Mantle, Ruth, DiMaggio, etc to go along with all the pennants and WS wins.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:50 AM
Darz

Up til ten years ago I would of said the Canadiens no doubt, but in the last ten years the Yankees might have surpassed them. But any discussion about the Yankees greatness in the last 10 years should have a reminder that the team has been basically playing with such a financial advantage over its counterparts to the point where they have ruined the game for many fans. But I guess that's just another part of their storied history.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:42 PM
jiggs 10

As much as I hate to say this (cause I HATE the Spankees), the Yankees are ever-so-slightly ahead as of now. 15 years ago, before all the World Series' they have won in the past 8 years, I'd have said the Habs. The Forum had a mystique that Yankee Stadium can NEVER match, even with all plaques and pillars and such. But since the Forum closed, the Habs have had their problems. It's just so much easier to win the World Series than the Stanley Cup. You only have to win 2 series to win it. That's 8 games. That's half as many as in hockey, and hockey is 10x tougher to play (I played both for many, many years).

It's too bad that money has to come into it, because the Yankees have the resources to buy what they need every year. Hockey teams don't (not even the Rangers :p ).

Old
02-19-2004, 05:19 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Up til ten years ago I would of said the Canadiens no doubt, but in the last ten years the Yankees might have surpassed them. But any discussion about the Yankees greatness in the last 10 years should have a reminder that the team has been basically playing with such a financial advantage over its counterparts to the point where they have ruined the game for many fans. But I guess that's just another part of their storied history.
Basically any dynasty in the history of any of the 4 major sports had a great financial situation to back up their championships, so I don't know that it's so fair to pick out the Yankees for having the same.

Old
02-19-2004, 06:26 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Basically any dynasty in the history of any of the 4 major sports had a great financial situation to back up their championships, so I don't know that it's so fair to pick out the Yankees for having the same.
nope this makes no sence there never really waz a big financial advantage "back in da day"
it started to become an advantage in the late 80's then became a huge factor in the mid 90's

before then it waz pure organizational prestige and smarts that made winners
people like pollack are legends becuase of it, while people like ballard ruined there club for years.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:59 PM
Luigi Lemieux

If you ask anyone living in Canada, they would say Montreal.

Ask anyone in the US, and they say Yanks.

Everyone in the US, regardless of being a baseball fan, knows who Babe Ruth is. I think maybe less than 1% of the US population would be able to tell you who Jean Beliveau was.

Old
02-20-2004, 11:39 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Montreal Canadien's.

Old
02-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Dr Love

The Yankees, but I do agree that Americans will say the Yankees and the Canadiens will say the Habs, which is fair. The Canadiens have a great history, no denying that, but the Yankees, in no small part due to the Red Sox, have moments that are still talked about to this day. The Canadiens didn't get the greatest player ever from their rival, or have a Bucky Dent-like moment. There's no Reggie Jackson in the 1977 WS like event (3 HRs on 3 straight pitches in one game, and to be technical, in his last at bat before that game... he hit a HR), Montreal doesn't have a Billy Martin character or a George Steinbrenner. The Canadiens have some epic moments/memories as well, from Ken Dryden to Patrick Roy and all those in between and before, but are they talked about as much as the Yankee moments are today? I think it's safe to say that the Yankees have the better lore.

Closed Thread