HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Malone

Old
06-06-2008, 08:07 PM
torrencemd

vCash: 500
funny thing is, we arent in cap trouble yet. All the talk around here is as if the pens are like less than a mill from the cap already. I mean I understand its not a one yr at a time business and that you have to look forward to the future and all. However, we are still under the cap by a pretty decent number. We will be shedding some unneeded salary in Roberts and Sydor soon, And half of our UFAs are extremely relplacable with AHL players. Honestly Im not worried about the cap issue at all as it will continue to rise 1-3 mill a yr for a couple years. Lets just let the professionals figure this out.

torrencemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

3rd round pick or I'd wait till July 1st and then try to sign him for nothing. If Pitt resigns him or a sign & trade by then, then we look somewhere else. There is alot out there in UFA. Although Malone is good, he is nothing you wouldn't be able to find in UFA.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 02:59 PM
93xxGilmourxx93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
If he goes elsewhere than Pittsburgh there will be bidding for his services and yes someone will overpay and likely regret the signing at those numbers. He may prove me wrong, but the vast majority of these turn out this way where by next year we will see on the team that signs him's board 'now if we can trade Malone for a bag of pucks, we will have this amount of cap room to sign the next Ryan Malone.' Check out the boards of those who signed the last couple years of Ryan Malones to see this going on now.

You're dead on. I love Malone, and I love that he plays with as much heart as he does, but if he goes UFA he will DEFINITELY get overpaid. Seems like everyone is on the Malone bandwagon right now, and if they're expecting him to be as productive when he doesn't have Malkin and Sykora and his line, they're in for a rude awakening.

It will be just like TO signing Jason Blake - overpay a UFA based on them having a career year, stick them with lower-quality linemates than they played with before, act all surprised that they don't score as much, and by the end of the season, they're public enemy #1.

93xxGilmourxx93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
3rd round pick or I'd wait till July 1st and then try to sign him for nothing. If Pitt resigns him or a sign & trade by then, then we look somewhere else. There is alot out there in UFA. Although Malone is good, he is nothing you wouldn't be able to find in UFA.
I don't know. There aren't a lot of players that can fight, give you 20+ goals a year, kill penalties, and take a beating in front of the net on the powerplay.

He's a pretty versatile player that's useful even if he isn't scoring. This isn't Anson Carter we're talking about

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Peter Griffin

Malone will get $4M+ quite easily if he doesn't take less to re-sign in Pittsburgh. The closest comparable to him IMO is Scott Hartnell, and he got $4M per when the cap was lower. Malone has had multiple 20+ goal seasons and brings the style of game that every team is looking for. I'd be shocked if he signed for less than $4M per.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Malone will not re-sign in Pittsburgh unless he is willing to take less than $4M. I could see that happening, but Pittsburgh needs Hossa and Oprik far more than they need Malone, and I think he will sign elsewhere for around $4-5M, which obviously would be a pretty large overpayment, but I think it's not a bad overpayment for what he brings to a team.

Physicality, heart, and probably 20-25 goals, depending on who he plays with.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I think it's funny how the knock on Malone used to be he couldn't play with stars, now it's that he can only play with stars.

Old
06-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Leroux 66

Malone is the most likely of our trio of big ufa's to take a hometown discount as he is from pittsburgh, grew up in pittsburgh, is married to a pittsburgh girl and has a son in the burgh. With that said, i don't see him signing under 4 million and thats as far as i would go if i was shero, malone is easier to replace than hossa and orpik.

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:48 AM
detredWINgs

I was a big fan of Malone before I watched him in the Finals. Then all of a sudden, I really wasnt that impressed. Thats not to say that I didnt like his game. He stood out on several occasions. I just thought hed be more of a game-breaker or momentum-changer than he was. Not enough tough guy goals, no enough big hits. He was consistent throughout, and a good player, but I wasnt exactly wowed by him. Hes definitely getting the benefit of the doubt playing on the top 2 with all star centers and putting up the points.

That said, i could see him getting something ridiculous like 4.5 million. He reminds me a lot of Dan Cleary after Clears got his attitude issues under control and finally found his work ethic. I know people will talk all about how Dan Cleary was a bust and a waste of a 1st rounder, but for the past two years hes turned his game around and easily wouldve had 50+ points on the season if he wasnt out with a broken jaw for 19 games. In fact, if Cleary had played 77 games like Malone this year, he was on pace for a little over 51 points. Same as Malone. Then when you figure theyre only a year apart in age, are good defensively, and do the dirty work, they come out to be pretty similar. Cleary signed relatively long-term for 2.8 per a few months ago. Due to his size, and younger age, Id give him a 500k edge on Cleary, so 3.3 seems like the magic number on a 4-5 year deal.

Too bad you KNOW hes going to go for at least 4 million per.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Leroux 66

Much more was expected of cleary than of malone when they were drafted, malone was always fairly good defensively and on the pk, but has had 2 maybe 3 good offensive years, his rookie year, last year and this year.

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 06:06 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

If I'm Shero, I'm offering $3.0M, admittedly this is a discount, and my hardline would be $3.5M. If he wants more than that, we'll miss him but we'll replace him with someone cheaper.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:46 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
I think he'd probably take 4 to stay in Pittsburgh, and it would take 5 to make him go elsewhere.

Not that Pittsburgh will offer him 4. If they offer him 3.5, I could see his number to go to Minnesota being 4.25 or something.
Way too much. I don't doubt he can score goals in this league, but his inconsistencies from season to season scare me.

When you are in a situation like the Pens you cannot overpay for marginal talent. I think, though Malone has all the intangibles you look for in a hockey player, his talent is easily replaced.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:57 AM
crazyforhockey

Fact - He's a 45-55 pt guy,20-25 goals a season,6'4" 220lbs,has decent hands,can take alot of punishment.

With the shortage of good power forward types expect min of 4-4.5 mil for his services if he doesnt sign with Pitts.Bidding will be strong. I see 4.8 overpayment but making a strong contributtion to his new team.Or he signs for 3.8-4.0 in Pitts.Not only is he from there but the potential to win is so good in Pitts.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:33 PM
jr99svt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU View Post
I'm amazed that the Pen fans here have so little regard for Malone, who, regardless who he played with, had a very nice year...A real heart & soul guy in the finals...As I said in another thread, I'd like to see him play with Toews/Kane...
Robbie Brown, V2.0

jr99svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr99svt View Post
Robbie Brown, V2.0
Haha, they couldn't be more different.

Old
06-08-2008, 12:52 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
yeah yeah. He will take 4 from Pitts and hossa will take 6 cause they love the Penguins! Get your head out of your @ss and realize your players will be going to the highest bidders pretty much..
Umm. . . sorry dude, but some players give hometown discounts, and I think Malone is one that would, considering the circumstances.

And it isn't that he'd give a 1 mill discount, but I think if he gets offered 4 he'll stay in Pittsburgh and not explore free agency. If he doesn't like his offer, he'll explore free agency and get 5. Is that so freaking hard to understand?

Hossa wouldn't take 6 to stay in Pittsburgh, that's crazy talk. I'd say 7.5 at the least. If he gets that from Pittsburgh he'll might stay. If they can't touch that number, bye-bye.

It's a simple concept, I'm not saying they will stay in Pittsburgh, but if they do, it wouldn't be for as much as they could get on the open market.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 01:01 PM
ktownhockey

what he's worth and what he gets are two different things... I wouldnt pay more than 3 million a year for him.. that being said .. he'll get more

ktownhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 04:34 PM
aliboy

He'll get 4-5M easy.

aliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 05:12 PM
FruityPants3*

Honestly, wouldn't be shocked if he gets over 5 from desperate GM.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 05:32 PM
backs4mvp

Value... 3.5mil.

Value on the FA market 4.8mil.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 06:55 PM
GernerPSU

Send a message via AIM to GernerPSU
One thing of note is that a local beat writer Rob Rossi who is pretty close to the team said a lot of people are probably overrating what Malone will get. He said before this season, Malone was offended by the offer the team gave(which according to him, was justified), but that was a different Malone back then. He then went on and said he would expect something like 2.5 but it only takes one crazy GM. This was all on ESPN 1250 locally on Friday.

GernerPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extradited View Post
Ryan Malone is not worth a single cent over 3m. His stats are inflated because he was on a line with Petr Sykora and Evgeni Malkin for a better part of a year.

While this is true you can't finish plays without some talent and skill. He's a goal scoring grinder.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernerPSU View Post
One thing of note is that a local beat writer Rob Rossi who is pretty close to the team said a lot of people are probably overrating what Malone will get. He said before this season, Malone was offended by the offer the team gave(which according to him, was justified), but that was a different Malone back then. He then went on and said he would expect something like 2.5 but it only takes one crazy GM. This was all on ESPN 1250 locally on Friday.
After the contract Martin Erat just signed, Malone is a minimum 4 million per year player.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:51 AM
wahoyaho

It won't be inflated if you move him to a similiar situation (e.g. Sedins)

wahoyaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:38 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I was a big fan of Malone before I watched him in the Finals. Then all of a sudden, I really wasnt that impressed. Thats not to say that I didnt like his game. He stood out on several occasions. I just thought hed be more of a game-breaker or momentum-changer than he was. Not enough tough guy goals, no enough big hits. He was consistent throughout, and a good player, but I wasnt exactly wowed by him. Hes definitely getting the benefit of the doubt playing on the top 2 with all star centers and putting up the points.

That said, i could see him getting something ridiculous like 4.5 million. He reminds me a lot of Dan Cleary after Clears got his attitude issues under control and finally found his work ethic. I know people will talk all about how Dan Cleary was a bust and a waste of a 1st rounder, but for the past two years hes turned his game around and easily wouldve had 50+ points on the season if he wasnt out with a broken jaw for 19 games. In fact, if Cleary had played 77 games like Malone this year, he was on pace for a little over 51 points. Same as Malone. Then when you figure theyre only a year apart in age, are good defensively, and do the dirty work, they come out to be pretty similar. Cleary signed relatively long-term for 2.8 per a few months ago. Due to his size, and younger age, Id give him a 500k edge on Cleary, so 3.3 seems like the magic number on a 4-5 year deal.

Too bad you KNOW hes going to go for at least 4 million per
You've hit the nail on the head right there. Malone will get 4M from somebody, but it won't be more than 3M from the Pens.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote