HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Avery's focus be on hockey next season?

Old
06-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Will Avery's focus be on hockey next season?

In a report from Fashion week daily which I found at blue shirt bulletin, Sean Avery apparently has started up his own fashion company with a Calvin Klein executive who he claims to be his best friend.

Now, is it me or does A. Sean seem like the type of player who would let this distract him, and B would we really want Avery back with this huge distraction?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:16 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
just means he will want to stay in NY, sign him for less because he will be getting money from that....2.5-3 million

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:22 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Sounds like Sather gets a deal to me. Expect Averys signing to drag out though. Darth Sather is a patient man these days

06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
sign him for less because he will be getting money from that
You really see that working?

06-06-2008, 10:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'm pretty sure Avery loves to play hockey too.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You really see that working?
with negotiations between sather and avery, nothing would surprise me.....he could get 10 million or 1 dollar and i would sya to myself...well its avery and sather

Old
06-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Fletch

I'm not sure how far-out...

Sather can drag negotiations - I'm guessing there will be at least one team willing to overpay him for his services.

As for the distraction - I don't really know. I don't think I'm as concerned with him being distracted as I am with him being such a Jekyll and Hyde on the ice - one minute he wants to be a quality hockey player and the other he's a bonehead.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I'm pretty sure Avery loves to play hockey too.
Has nothing to do with that.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:39 AM
beastly115

Avery is nothing without hockey. He's not well known enough outside of hockey to make a big enough name for himself to satisfy his ego.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
with negotiations between sather and avery, nothing would surprise me.....he could get 10 million or 1 dollar and i would sya to myself...well its avery and sather
My point is do you really think that Avery would agree to less because of any money he might be making on a side project? And Sather would be a moron to even bring that up.

If I make money aside from my job, my employer is in position to pay or offer me less because I'm earning additional income in on my own time in an unrelated venture.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

Quote:
My point is do you really think that Avery would agree to less because of any money he might be making on a side project? And Sather would be a moron to even bring that up.

If I make money aside from my job, my employer is in position to pay or offer me less because I'm earning additional income in on my own time in an unrelated venture.
And you know Avery, it will affect his play. He is not one of those players who can have a side venture and keep it away from the game of hockey.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:

yes, i know, i shouldve put the sarcasm smiley next to it..my apologies....i was just saying how nothing would surprise me if it was talked about in the negotiations

Old
06-06-2008, 10:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubinsky4Calder08 View Post
And you know Avery, it will affect his play. He is not one of those players who can have a side venture and keep it away from the game of hockey.
I have no reason to believe that this is the case.

Old
06-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

Quote:
I have no reason to believe that this is the case.
Why not?

Old
06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
this sounds cool. Maybe now he will make that Rule No 16 shirt and other ranger related clothes.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Why not?
Why not? Because he's a professional athlete. I have no reason to believe that it "will affect his play."

Quote:
He is not one of those players who can have a side venture and keep it away from the game of hockey.
What are you basing this on? He's been nothing but focused on hockey here. He's been nothing but a hard working and dedicated member of this team.

All of this is pure conjecture.

Old
06-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

Quote:
Why not? Because he's a professional athlete. I have no reason to believe that it "will affect his play."

What are you basing this on? He's been nothing but focused on hockey here. He's been nothing but a hard working and dedicated member of this team.

All of this is pure conjecture.
I hear what your sayin' but something tells me that it could very well be a distraction.

No, theres nothing to base it off of and sure its all pure conjecture, so i guess well just have to wait and see.

Old
06-06-2008, 11:05 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i think the reason that he partnered with someone from Calvin Klein is so that he won't have to worry about it during his playing career.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Don't Zetterberg and Mike Green also have clothing lines? Granted, I can see why some people might think Avery is more likely to be distracted by a side project - although I don't see him doing so - but that's why he has a business partner. She'll take care of the day-to-day stuff and he'll probably just sign off on designs, maybe make a few promo appearances here and there.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
How could you or anyone else possibly know this.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki Tawdry View Post
Don't Zetterberg and Mike Green also have clothing lines? Granted, I can see why some people might think Avery is more likely to be distracted by a side project - although I don't see him doing so - but that's why he has a business partner. She'll take care of the day-to-day stuff and he'll probably just sign off on designs, maybe make a few promo appearances here and there.
what about crosby with all the commercials he does, does he get distracted??? it should not be a problem. now if avery promotes his clothing line during the intermission interviews and starts to model them well that would be a problem but also pretty funny.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

I don't think Avery's off ice stuff has ever interferred with his play on the ice. I think he'll be motivated to win here if he re-signs.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

He's just like any other professional athlete. He's investing some of his money in something he loves. When athletes retire, they still need something to make money from. I don't see Avery being the endorsement guy for anything, so why not take a cut of a potentially prominent fashion company?

I can't exactly see him taking a break from the regular season to pick out colors for his new spring line. If dating Elisha Cuthbert can't take his mind off hockey, I don't think we have much to worry about.

The only reason we're hearing about this is because it's strange hobby for a hockey player to have.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Ehh, these days with laptops and Wi-Fi everywhere... I don't think it will "distract" him. He'll spend his 3-4 hours playing a game... say 3-4 times a week. He'll practice another 3-4 hours for that week total (just estimating). Then the rest is free time.

He'll be able to hold everything down with wireless internet and a cell phone. His base will be in New York, where the majority of his time will be spent. And if anything should arise in his situation, he'll be connected.

It's not like he'll start missing games to go to fashion shows or anything. I think he'll be fine, and it might even drive him to be more dedicated to hockey than he is now (as a by product of scheduling and making sure he doesn't lose that focus)

I used to run my college paper, and other various little " zines" while in school. I thought about it all the time, but i still went to class and my real job. Succeeded in all aspects. It just drives you to make sure you do each thing right, whereas maybe you can be lazy when all you have to do is one thing.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 01:25 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki Tawdry View Post
I believe Briere does as well. And doesn't Crosby have one through Reebok?

People have thought that Avery was going to be a distraction since day one. The only thing he has done is taken the spotlight off of his young and inexperienced teammates, allowing them to play without the suffocating pressure that comes in NY. These are all assumptions based on other assumptions and stories that were formed before his stint in NY, not based on anything from here.

Of course we can all assume that Avery will be the first and only athlete to be distracted by a side venture. (this stuff isn't a response to you Suki, just most of the thread)

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote