HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

If it is GlenX Vs Torres, I take Torres

Old
06-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
I'm quite content with this roster if we have to roll with it

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Cogs Gagner Nilsson
Moreau Stoll Pisani
Glencross Brodziak Torres

Schremp
Pouliot

I know our bottom six shouldn't be so salary heavy, but exactly what are we saving this money for?

It's not like Hossa is signing here. Eventually our bottom 6 will thin out as Pisani and Torres contracts run out and they're replaced by the raises Gagner/Cogliano will need.

Until then, since we don't have a Kovalchuk or Nash on our top line, we might as well just make our team 4 lines deep IMO.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:43 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

[double post removed]

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:45 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Cogs Gagner Nilsson
Moreau Stoll Pisani
Glencross Brodziak Stortini
Pouliot
Potulny
Schremp
Edited for my preferences.

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Julio18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Cogs Gagner Nilsson
Moreau Stoll Pisani
Glencross Brodziak Torres

Schremp
Pouliot

I know our bottom six shouldn't be so salary heavy, but exactly what are we saving this money for?

It's not like Hossa is signing here. Eventually our bottom 6 will thin out as Pisani and Torres contracts run out and they're replaced by the raises Gagner/Cogliano will need.

Until then, since we don't have a Kovalchuk or Nash on our top line, we might as well just make our team 4 lines deep IMO.
That is a nice balance and it affords us the ability to get the match-ups we need in the event we experience some slumping. The fourth line could be a monster, an expensive monster, but the speed and muscle would be devastating.

I can hear Marty Sakic crying in the distance.

Julio18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Raffi is a proven commodity and I like what he brings, before this year as well he played 82 games each of the past three years. Same age, same money and Raffi has done a lot more.
The only thing Raffi has proven is that he does more to help this team lose than win. I would trade him for a couple of rolls of tape. He hurts this team.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:51 PM
Lessy

If it came down to it, which I think it will, I'd probably have to take Torres over GlenX. I've hated his play as much as anyone over the past two seasons but the fact is, when he's got his head screwed on right he's a beast of a player that can play literally anywhere. The question remains, can he bring consistency. Ever since his hit on Jason Williams when he was the Wings, he just hasn't been the same player in my eyes. All the potential in the world and the body to be a 25+ goal scoring power forward but that hasn't panned out on a yearly basis yet.

Glencross was awesome down the stretch but to expect that kind of offensive output again I think is unreasonable given the shooting percentage. I'd be shocked to see him put up much more than 15 next year. However, if we do let Glencross walk somewhere else there will be two things that we could regret:

1. The return on Torres, assuming he is moved, I think would be higher than most people think. Stoll and Torres packaged together could land us something interesting or at the very least, land us a few picks in the draft that Lowe has talked about wanting to grab. We have enough depth up front to let one of these guys go and not really be significantly effected.

2. Glencross' forecheck. I haven't seen this mentioned yet but his abilities in the offensive zone and forechecking are underappreciated. He is the one and only guy on this team that on dump in's is sure to get a solid hit in. I don't think I've ever seen him just pass up a hit and keep skating along. If Torres could play with that edge this decision would be a no-brainer. Glencross' abilities on the cycle and his heady plays are also very underrated around here in my mind. You just have to wonder whether it was the dollar signs in his view in the second half of the year or if that's the same player that would be showing up year after year regardless of contract status.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Ever since his hit on Jason Williams when he was the Wings, he just hasn't been the same player in my eyes. All the potential in the world and the body to be a 25+ goal scoring power forward but that hasn't panned out on a yearly basis yet.
This Torres left town a long time ago....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=liD4j5YUgg8&feature=related

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post

Torres needs to find that balance of physically punishing people without nearly killing them. I remember that hit and for a moment (just a moment) I thought the Red Wings player might actually be dead.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

Nasty and crazy Raffi Torres died that night with the hit. He was very sheepish about that hit afterwards. I mentioned previously I have not seen him make a really big hit since. His hitting across the board seems more inconsistent and has lost that old zip. A lot more bump than punish in his hits now.

Glencross on the other hand goes at you like a kamikaze and with his speed he gets in on you so fast it is often hard for guys to adjust or avoid the hit.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:08 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
If it came down to it, which I think it will, I'd probably have to take Torres over GlenX. I've hated his play as much as anyone over the past two seasons but the fact is, when he's got his head screwed on right he's a beast of a player that can play literally anywhere. The question remains, can he bring consistency. Ever since his hit on Jason Williams when he was the Wings, he just hasn't been the same player in my eyes. All the potential in the world and the body to be a 25+ goal scoring power forward but that hasn't panned out on a yearly basis yet.

Glencross was awesome down the stretch but to expect that kind of offensive output again I think is unreasonable given the shooting percentage. I'd be shocked to see him put up much more than 15 next year. However, if we do let Glencross walk somewhere else there will be two things that we could regret:

1. The return on Torres, assuming he is moved, I think would be higher than most people think. Stoll and Torres packaged together could land us something interesting or at the very least, land us a few picks in the draft that Lowe has talked about wanting to grab. We have enough depth up front to let one of these guys go and not really be significantly effected.

2. Glencross' forecheck. I haven't seen this mentioned yet but his abilities in the offensive zone and forechecking are underappreciated. He is the one and only guy on this team that on dump in's is sure to get a solid hit in. I don't think I've ever seen him just pass up a hit and keep skating along. If Torres could play with that edge this decision would be a no-brainer. Glencross' abilities on the cycle and his heady plays are also very underrated around here in my mind. You just have to wonder whether it was the dollar signs in his view in the second half of the year or if that's the same player that would be showing up year after year regardless of contract status.
Glencross scoring goals is just gravy for this team. We really need hitters on the 4th line.

Last edited by DangerMan: 06-07-2008 at 11:53 AM.
DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Would it not be Glencross + the trade return for Torres versus just keep Torres?
Yup.

I've been one of Raffi's biggest fans here and I've defended his play for long enough, Glenx for the last two months was just flat out a better player for us than Raffi has ever been since the '06 playoffs.

If it was just a question of keeping Raffi or Glenx it would be a tough call but I'd keep Glenx. If it's:
Glenx plus (Raffi's trade return)
vs
Raffi

it's a no-brainer.

The Oilers could trade their 22nd plus Raffi to pick ahead of the Ducks

Like someone said earlier, I'm not even sure that Raffi is ahead of Nilsson in the lineup (why would he be, Nilsson has already matched Raffi's best ever point total and he's 3 years younger) and he's definitely not ahead of Penner, what can we even do with him?

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
Nilsson Gagner Cogliano
Moreau Stoll Pisani
Glenx Brodziak Stortini
MAP Schremp (Reasoner)

IMO we have a full roster at fwds sans sleeping bull. It's debatable whether or not we even keep Stoll.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:

For all the working out Torres did before the last off-season his hitting game sure suffered. He wasn't nearly as solid as he was on his skates previously.

This one cracks me up every time. The hit by Torres on Michalek came one game after Michalek elbowed Smyth in the face but these whiners don't remember that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D0KC91Wuz2k&feature=related

Compare it to this hit which a lot of people will call clean...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TaYcmcD1vkY

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 01:51 PM
finn

I should admit up-front that I'm NOT an Oiler's fan (Canucks fan) but I watch alot of NWest Div. games and I would love to have Torres on the Canucks. Perhaps it is a case of some/many Oiler's fans growing disenchanted with Raffi's game, (and Stoll's as well I notice)? But Torres would look awesome alongside Kesler and Burrows in the blue and green - even @ $2.2m. I know that many of you are privately heartsick about Matt Cooke's trade to the Capitals - No? Fear not, Kesler and Burrows will no-doubt give you something to talk about this season at the water cooler!

Easily a make or break year for Torres, AND Stoll imo. There's alot of organizational depth among the forwards pushing those two for roster spots.

As for Glencross, I'd take Stortini ahead of him any day. I think that Stortini's is among your most effective players against the Canucks and the rest of the NW.

that;s just my $0.02

fiinn

finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I should admit up-front that I'm NOT an Oiler's fan (Canucks fan) but I watch alot of NWest Div. games and I would love to have Torres on the Canucks. Perhaps it is a case of some/many Oiler's fans growing disenchanted with Raffi's game, (and Stoll's as well I notice)? But Torres would look awesome alongside Kesler and Burrows in the blue and green - even @ $2.2m. I know that many of you are privately heartsick about Matt Cooke's trade to the Capitals - No? Fear not, Kesler and Burrows will no-doubt give you something to talk about this season at the water cooler!

Easily a make or break year for Torres, AND Stoll imo. There's alot of organizational depth among the forwards pushing those two for roster spots.

As for Glencross, I'd take Stortini ahead of him any day. I think that Stortini's is among your most effective players against the Canucks and the rest of the NW.

that;s just my $0.02

fiinn
Yes, I agree the Canucks have built quite the tradition for themselves from Ruutu and Cooke to Kesler and Burrows. I think they have some words printed in the locker room acknowledging this, something like, "To you from falling hands we throw the torch of hitting from behind and then ducking and running behind the ref for protection; be yours to hold it high."

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Laraque4PM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
For the record Glencross had a 22.0% shooting percentage with the Oilers this year and Torres had a 5.7% shooting percentage.

I ask you, which one is sustainable over the long run?
Torres just shoots from anywhere. Glencross' shooting percentage was so high because he time after time put himself in good scoring positions. Glencross had our fourth line playing like a second line. Lets not forget the playmaking aspect of all this. I believe Glencross can create alot more chemistry with our guys do to his ability to pass the puck. Torres is not the greatest passer as we all know and that instantly hurts a lines chemistry. After what Glencross showed me last year I have no idea how we wouldnt want him over Torres. I bet Stortini and Brodziak are just praying he gets signed.

Laraque4PM* is offline   Reply With Quote