HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ot-A-Rod to the yankees rumor

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2004, 01:32 PM
  #1
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,893
vCash: 500
ot-A-Rod to the yankees A DONE DEAL


http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...homepage-promo


Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 02-16-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 01:56 PM
  #2
Theoren Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Christ they're as bad, if not worse then the Rangers ...except for the whole winning part.

I don't think the Yankees should trade Soriano. They already made a deal for one big name in Giambi and look how he turned out to be a choker.

EDIT: Also "Ranger like" is that the Yankee's biggest problem is pitching. Way to tackle the issue, Yanks...

Theoren Fan is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 03:09 PM
  #3
Stajan Fan
Registered User
 
Stajan Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Daysland, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 881
vCash: 500
Wait a minute, I just heard A-Rod rumored going to the Devil Rays, Brewers, oh, wait, its now the Expos. Every team is in very serious talk with the Rangers about acquiring this guy. They are reported to trade every player they have to make up for A-Rod's salary. Good move for whoever gets him, though.

Stajan Fan is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 03:44 PM
  #4
Kluivert4Ever
Registered User
 
Kluivert4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
www.foxsports.com

A-Rod to Yanks book it!

Kluivert4Ever is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 03:47 PM
  #5
Kluivert4Ever
Registered User
 
Kluivert4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Christ they're as bad, if not worse then the Rangers ...except for the whole winning part.

I don't think the Yankees should trade Soriano. They already made a deal for one big name in Giambi and look how he turned out to be a choker.

EDIT: Also "Ranger like" is that the Yankee's biggest problem is pitching. Way to tackle the issue, Yanks...

Number one the Yanks have a great staff Vaz and Brown are better then Clemens and Pettitte alotough Andy I would love to have kept, Clemens was going downhill.
Having Contrerars for a full year in the rotation will do wonders.


Number two what you mean way to tackle the issue? What pitchers were we gonna get if we play with the assumtion that SP is a weakness?
There are however ALOT of quality SP in the coming off-season? Why deal a guy like Sori for a pitching that can be had next winter?
Also if someone says you can get A-Rod for Sori you don´t say wait gotta see what I can get for pitching first YOU JUST DO IT.

Kluivert4Ever is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 04:12 PM
  #6
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Christ they're as bad, if not worse then the Rangers ...except for the whole winning part.

I don't think the Yankees should trade Soriano. They already made a deal for one big name in Giambi and look how he turned out to be a choker.

EDIT: Also "Ranger like" is that the Yankee's biggest problem is pitching. Way to tackle the issue, Yanks...
yeah giambi has only hit 82 homeruns in his two seasons as a yankee. a guy that played with a hurt knee for all of last season. soriano is a guy i wouldn't trade for anybody other than a-rod but a-rod is clearly the best player in baseball. the yankees biggest problem isn't pitching. the starters are more than proven and the yankees have the best bullpen in baseball.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 04:18 PM
  #7
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
A-Rod should play SS if the Yankees get him, but we wouldn't want to hurt Jeter's ego.

A-Rod = gold glove shortstop
Jeter = average SS, good arm, glove is a bit suspect

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 05:00 PM
  #8
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 59,669
vCash: 50
god

well, back to our 12th strait losing season as a Pirates fan, god knows one superstar short stop isn't enough...

I hate Major League Baseball

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 05:14 PM
  #9
barnaby63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Long Island
Posts: 860
vCash: 500
1 - Kenny Lofton
2 - Derek Jeter
3 - Alex Rodriguez
4 - Gary Sheffield
5 - Jason Giambi
6 - Jorge Posada
7 - Hideki Matsui
8 - Travis Lee/Bernie Williams
9 - Tyler Houston/Enrique Wilson


1 - Mike Mussina
2 - Kevin Brown
3 - Javier Vazquez
4 - Jose Contreras
5 - Jon Lieber


1 - Gabe White
2 - Steve Karsay
3 - Felix Heredia
4 - Tom Gordon
5 - Paul Quantrill
6 - Mariano Rivera


OH BABY!

barnaby63 is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 05:16 PM
  #10
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 59,669
vCash: 50
How many of those are home grown?

Jeter, Posada, Williams, Rivera...that's about it...damn...

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 05:19 PM
  #11
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
How many of those are home grown?

Jeter, Posada, Williams, Rivera...that's about it...damn...
yeah every team in baseball has all home grown guys and the yankees dont

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 05:23 PM
  #12
Theoren Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
the starters are more than proven and the yankees have the best bullpen in baseball.
Well, I don't know about that

From what I understand, one big thing proven about Kevin Brown is that he's damaged goods.

Either way, the Redsox bullpen was better then the Yanks in the postseason and since then NY's has only been downgraded, meanwhile Boston has improved.

Theoren Fan is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 05:28 PM
  #13
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Well, I don't know about that

From what I understand, one big thing proven about Kevin Brown is that he's damaged goods.

Either way, the Redsox bullpen was better then the Yanks in the postseason and since then NY's has only been downgraded, meanwhile Boston has improved.
kevin brown could have won the nl cy young last season

the yankees bullpen didnt improve it has been downgraded? yeah paul quantrill and flash gordon suck i mean quantrill is only one of the best set up guys in baseball and gordon just throws 95 mph. plus karsay is back this season and wait a second the yankees finally have some decent leftys. gabe white and felex heridia but yeah keith foulke is so much better than the best closer in baseball history.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 06:21 PM
  #14
JCProdigy
Registered User
 
JCProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: I want what I want
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
A-Rod should play SS if the Yankees get him, but we wouldn't want to hurt Jeter's ego.

A-Rod = gold glove shortstop
Jeter = average SS, good arm, glove is a bit suspect
I think it's more like you don't move your CAPTAIN and leader of your team out of his natural position that he's earned (with his four world series rings) to accommodate a newcomer....even if it's a-rod. Ego or not that is a major slap in the face. When A-Rod helps the Yankees win 4 world championships then we'll talk.

On the move...mixed feelings about it. Yankees pulling a Rangers (NY) and trying to fit a square peg (SS) into a round hole (3B). Trading the homegrown "superstar" and Soriano is a superstar, for another older, superstar.....and taking on a ridiculous amount of Salary.

Last year stats: Sori .290 38 91
Arod .298 47 118

defense becomes a wash because Arod is switching positions. Those offensive numbers almost become a wash because Sori's would go up hitting in cleanup instead of leading off. Sori's faster but doesn't walk as much. They both strike out alot with both over 120 last year.

A-Rod is the better player currently but I think Sori is only gonna get better and soon his numbers will equal A-Rods and he's two years younger. I guess the major sticking point is who are the other players. If it's Contreras and Navarro then it's a horrible trade for the Yanks. The bosox would have only given up Manny so I hope they aren't in the deal. Plus this also leads to another Rangerism and that's creating a hole to plug up another. We'll still be short a starting infielder come opening day.

Just a note to remember that nobody else has come up with any evidence that the trade is "close to done". All these places are leaching off of Newsday and their story. None have found collaborating evidence that would suggest its a done deal.

BTW I'm up here in Boston and it's hilarious the way the fans and the media is reacting to this...One sports reporter on the local ABC news started out by saying the really A-Rod isn't that much of an improvement over Sori. (which I sort of agree with) then he says he'll fail at third base and this trade shows, and get this, that the Yanks are running scared because they know the Redsox are better than them! ..........MUAHAHAHAH!! And this is from the same guys that were creaming over the Manny for A-Rod trade saying how it was the final piece for the Red Sox world series roster.....De Nile ain't just a river in Egypt.....

JCProdigy is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 06:36 PM
  #15
FrankieD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Some Line-up

I like the move for the following reasons:

1.) Boston doesn't get the best player in baseball....We do.
2.) Arod is better defencively than Soriano.
3.) Arod is a better hitter in the playoffs. Soriano struck out 25% of the time in the playoffs. Not a good stat.
4.) Good 3rd basemen are hard to come by.
5.) I believe Erik Almonte is a pritty good Yankee prospect that can fill in for Soriano. He played great when Jeter was out last year.
6.) Hes not that old.

FrankieD is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 06:48 PM
  #16
JCProdigy
Registered User
 
JCProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: I want what I want
Posts: 1,232
vCash: 500
JUST PLAYIN DEVILS ADVOCATE....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD
I like the move for the following reasons:

1.) Boston doesn't get the best player in baseball....We do. Boston wouldn't get him anyways.

2.) Arod is better defencively than Soriano. At Shortstop but who knows at third.....three years experience for Sori to one all-star game for A-rod.

3.) Arod is a better hitter in the playoffs. Soriano struck out 25% of the time in the playoffs. Not a good stat. Here's another couple of stats: Sori has a game winning homerun against A-Rods Mariners in the ALCS. Has a game winning WS hit. and hit a homer off of Schilling in the same series that should've won game seven.

4.) Good 3rd basemen are hard to come by. So are young, homegrown, 40/40, second basemen....

5.) I believe Erik Almonte is a pritty good Yankee prospect that can fill in for Soriano. He played great when Jeter was out last year. Eh...I wouldn't go that far. Almonte is horrible in the field and doesn't have experience at 2nd and he hasn't shown he can hit major league pitching for more then a week.

6.) Hes not that old. True but still older then Sori....and Kovie wasn't that old....Jagr wasn't that old....Lindros wasn't that old

JCProdigy is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 08:30 PM
  #17
barnaby63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Long Island
Posts: 860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Well, I don't know about that

From what I understand, one big thing proven about Kevin Brown is that he's damaged goods.

Either way, the Redsox bullpen was better then the Yanks in the postseason and since then NY's has only been downgraded, meanwhile Boston has improved.
Do you even know what your talking about? Getting Tom Gordon, Paul Quantrill, Steve Karsay, Gabe White and Felix Heredia for a full season and a healthy Mariano Rivera is downgrading?

But the Sox signing one guy in Keith Foulke is that much of an improvement?

People...

barnaby63 is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 10:01 PM
  #18
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,955
vCash: 500
Here's the biggest joke of them all

George Said to the Commishoner and to all of the other owners in the league:

"If I'm going to subsidize the league with the exorbitant payroll tax then have at it"

Payroll will now start looking like the year we are in $200,400,000.00.

Because with this deal the Yanke Payroll will be close to 170-180 million and then tax on the amount over and above 123mil and we have our first ever 200+ million dollar payroll.

For all of you small market fans, either shut up, or give George back his subsidy money from the Tax/Revenue Sharing.


pld459666 is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 10:12 PM
  #19
Theoren Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
But the Sox signing one guy in Keith Foulke is that much of an improvement?

People...
Yeah hey look over there, it's Curt Schilling

Yankees lose Roger, Wells and Andy Pettitte and they gain Vazquez and Brown.

From what I'm aware of, Red Sox lose nobody really special in the penn and they gain Schilling and Foulke.

Yankee's relievers might not be a problem, but if you think the starting pitchers here are better then what they have, you're just being a homer. I'm not even big into baseball and I can still see that.

Part of the reason the Yankee's struggled and fell apart in the series last season was because of their pitching. Now their payroll is pathetic and they still don't have a complete team that can win the series, and they won't.

Now that's funny.

Theoren Fan is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 10:25 PM
  #20
Burberry Manning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Summit NJ-The Elite
Country: United States
Posts: 2,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Yeah hey look over there, it's Curt Schilling

Yankees lose Roger, Wells and Andy Pettitte and they gain Vazquez and Brown.

From what I'm aware of, Red Sox lose nobody really special in the penn and they gain Schilling and Foulke.

Yankee's relievers might not be a problem, but if you think the starting pitchers here are better then what they have, you're just being a homer. I'm not even big into baseball and I can still see that.

Part of the reason the Yankee's struggled and fell apart in the series last season was because of their pitching. Now their payroll is pathetic and they still don't have a complete team that can win the series, and they won't.

Now that's funny.
Right because Mike Mussina isnt a top-notch starter every year. And because Javier Vazquez didnt excell on a poor Montreal club. And then there is that guy Contreras who Epstein was on his knees for. What else....oh Jon Leiber who won 20 games in 2001, and then that Kevin Brown guy who just happened to be on of the best pitchers in baseball throughout his career. Damaged good? Why, because he had ONE decent injury in the past 5 years and came back to be nasty last year.

Part of the reason the Yanks struggles and fell apart in the WS was because of pitching?! Well great, according to commercials part of the reason Bin Laden thrived was because some teenage kid in the USA bought some marijuana. Whats your point? Yea pitching contributed but wasnt the main problem at all. The main ingredient to their failure was that the Yanks failed to recieve timely clutch hitting from big producers in their lineup. Soriano striking out 25% in the playoffs, Giambi struggling, ect. And they still made it to the World Series, hardly a total dissappointment.

Burberry Manning is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 10:50 PM
  #21
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,890
vCash: 500
wow, i didnt see this coming or expect it to move this fast. though i did have a feeling his post season performance sealed soriano's fate.

the yankees look more like a baseball mogul video game lineup than anything else.....wow.

Edge is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 11:01 PM
  #22
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,955
vCash: 500
Do you know that Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Yeah hey look over there, it's Curt Schilling

Yankees lose Roger, Wells and Andy Pettitte and they gain Vazquez and Brown.

From what I'm aware of, Red Sox lose nobody really special in the penn and they gain Schilling and Foulke.

Yankee's relievers might not be a problem, but if you think the starting pitchers here are better then what they have, you're just being a homer. I'm not even big into baseball and I can still see that.

Part of the reason the Yankee's struggled and fell apart in the series last season was because of their pitching. Now their payroll is pathetic and they still don't have a complete team that can win the series, and they won't.

Now that's funny.

Received the least run support of almost any pitcher in the NL last year and still won 14 games? Had he received another paltry 1 run a game he would have won another 6-10 games based on the 9 no-decisions he had and the games where his BP blew games for him.

Yes, Boston got Curt, but how healthy is he? With the exception of last year and 1999 he's thrown a ton of innings and there's as much of a chance that he falls off as there is that Brown falls off as well.

But the issue here isn't Curt v Brown, it's Pettitte v. Brown and Brown is the better Pitcher.

Pettitte isn't even the #1 or #2 starter in Houston. Oswalt and Miller hold down those 2 spots.

Then we look at Clemens for Vasquez and based off of last year, I'll take Vasques thank you very much.

Lower ERA, more K's, pitched 1 more game but only lost 4 less on a team that was not that good. Put Vazquez on the Yanks with their offense last year and you have another pitcher with close to 20 wins. Now that he is here, and our offense will be better than last year the two guys coming in are bette rthan the ones leaving.

Numbers don't lie.

pld459666 is offline  
Old
02-14-2004, 11:13 PM
  #23
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Yeah hey look over there, it's Curt Schilling

Yankees lose Roger, Wells and Andy Pettitte and they gain Vazquez and Brown.

From what I'm aware of, Red Sox lose nobody really special in the penn and they gain Schilling and Foulke.

Yankee's relievers might not be a problem, but if you think the starting pitchers here are better then what they have, you're just being a homer. I'm not even big into baseball and I can still see that.

Part of the reason the Yankee's struggled and fell apart in the series last season was because of their pitching. Now their payroll is pathetic and they still don't have a complete team that can win the series, and they won't.

Now that's funny.

stop using rangers logic while judging the yankees the yankees expect winning and expect players like a-rod to come in and perform. the yankees didnt fail last season because of pitching perhaps you didnt watch the world series. the yankees couldn't hit in the clutch at all. sorianno killed the yankees in the post season. boone killed the yankees in the post season except for his cowboone up at bat. this move is a no brainer for the yankees. the yankees will be just fine you are right they don't have a complete team.

at the trading deadline expect randy johnson and bret boone to become yankees the lefty starter and the second baseman.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
02-15-2004, 12:03 AM
  #24
NYRBlaznBure9
Registered User
 
NYRBlaznBure9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to NYRBlaznBure9
I really can't beleive all these mindless remarks I see about this deal, but since this is a hockey board, I'll ignore some of them. The Yankees focus on pitching? Ha, the rotation is Mussina, Vazquez, Contreras, Lieber, Brown...they need to focus on pitching? Vazquez I would take over Clemens, Lieber over the fat old and constantly injured Wells, and Brown for Pettite is kind of even, only cause Pettite was huge in the clutch. Personally, I feel better about this rotation that what we started with last season. The Yankees now have a full season out of Contreras, who showed how excellent he is when starting last season, the few times he did.
As for a possible Soriano and prospect for A-Rod deal, I would do it in a heartbeat. Without a doubt, A-rod is the best in baseball. At times last post-season, I wanted to kill Soriano, who I think set the all time post-season strike out record or something. It was ridiculous. I would take the constant clutch performance in A-Rod, over a streaky hitting Soriano. Yes, he was close to 40-40 two seasons back, but a 50 homerun guy period, let alone a 3rd baseman is non-exisent, unless A-Rod comes to New York.
As far as the Yanks not winning the World Series. Honestly, I think the way the Yankees beat Boston, comming back over Pedro, he dirty ******* he is and winning at the stadium in extra, was just as good as winning a World Series, for the fans at least. The Yankees were nothing less than excellent last year. They didn't lose cause of bad piching, they lost as a resul of lack of performance from there bats, in particular Soriano.
The only problems I forsee this season, even without A-Rod, would be the bullpen. Although it is not even weak, it is not what it use to be. Ever since Stanton left. The bullpen is no longer as relieble in long extra inning games. But get through the secenth inning with any lead and we have two words: Mariano Rivera.

Look at the Yankees starting lineups, and it looks like the All-Star team...oh yea, Torre will be coaching that again, hahah!

Lofton
Jeter
Rodriguez
Giambi
Sheffield
Williams
Almonte maybe?
Posada
Matsui

I don't care how good ANY pitching staff or BP is, when you go against a lineup like that, you're shtting your pants and gonna have a really togh time. Thats a list of some of the most prolific hitters of todays game.

When was Bostons last WS Title? I really don't care how much they add to their club or anything, because its proven that they cant win at all, the curse lives, the drought still wont end. The Yankees will win the 2004 World Series, and end their amazing drought...of 3 years.

NYRBlaznBure9 is offline  
Old
02-15-2004, 04:10 AM
  #25
X8oD
Registered User
 
X8oD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 612 Warf Ave.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,300
vCash: 500
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1735039

according to this article, quotting the post

"The Post reported that the Yankees would likely have to give up Jose Contreras as well as minor-league catcher Dioner Navarro in such a trade."

so it would be A-Rod with Texas Eating a lot of cash for Soriano, Contreras and the minor League catcher.

X8oD is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.