HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ot-A-Rod to the yankees rumor

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

vCash: 500
Why is A-Rod moving to 3B and not 2B? I would think he'd have an easier adjustment to 2B, since SS and 2B are similar positions. Imagine a DP combo of A-Rod and Jeter??

Old
02-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Edge

i would like to think part of it is do to size. not many 6'3 , 210 second basemen.

Old
02-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Burberry Manning

I love how everyone tries to find ways to compare the Yankees to the Rangers. Will you people get over the damn fact that our hockey team sucks and has no good youth but our baseball team is nasty and doesnt have the need for any youth. Understand that a weak defense in baseball is just a tad differant than a weak defense in hockey. I swear that some people are just obsessed about age and not ability and production at this point. Not just in baseball but sports in general, including hockey. There are some people who would be inclined to trade Mussina or ARod or Rivera for some hot young prospects just because those prospects are young and have potential. But the potential they have can only hope to one day match the current performance of those guys. People are complaining about the A-Rod deal saying that Soriano is two years younger than Alex. Holy horses. If you think that two years is all that is seperating Alfonso Soriano and the Greatest Player to Ever Man His Position then you are beyond reality. So the Yankees are now centered around the 28 year old superstars Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez. They have Javier Vazquez in the rotation as a 27 yr old stud. They in fact are younger than their last World Series winning team. Now how are they threatened by age?

Defensively they added a Gold Glove to the hot corner. Cal Ripken jr did quite well in his adjustment, my money says A-Rod can too. Jeter's defense can really only improve at this point, Jason Giambi is nothing more than an average 1st baseman but it's not like the position requires Ozzie Smith-like defense. And then we have Soriano's replacement. Arguably the worst defensive infielder in the big leagues is gone so one would have to assume that his replacement can only be an upgrade.In center field you have an upgrade with Kenny Lofton allowing the weak armed and somewhat slow Bernie Williams (hard to remember he was once considered a 40/40 prospect) to DH, in left field there is Matsui who from all accounts I considered pretty solid out there, and in right field there is the Sheff who brings a nice arm with him. We might not have any Mondesi arms out there but I think we will be alright.

Old
02-17-2004, 01:02 AM
Edge

my question is where travis lee fits into the equation. we already have clark and bernie figures to spend time at dh.

Old
02-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
my question is where travis lee fits into the equation. we already have clark and bernie figures to spend time at dh.
Clark will mostly be a PH. Lee will actually be used to play 1B quite often while Giambi is a DH. I think Bernie will seperate himself from Lofton and as long as he's in good health will be in center. The Yankees should just go out and get a very good defensive 2B with speed.... I dont care if he hits .200.... Id love to get an Adam Kennedy type but oh well.

Old
02-17-2004, 07:55 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
TB you are cranky today. I think someone needs a nap.....
Morgan was rambunctious the night before. There is someone whose avatar says "2 minutes for drooling". Can I give a match penalty for keeping Mommy and Daddy up between 3 and 4 am? She actually has not been bad at all, just some nights she chooses to voice her displeasure about the Rangers. Much like her Dad.

"my question is where travis lee fits into the equation. we already have clark and bernie figures to spend time at dh."

Lee moves up the ladder ahead of Clark. When one of Bernie or Lofton is not in the lineup (you know the both of them will never miss a game together), I suspect that Giambi will be the DH and Lee will play 1st. Lee also becomes the late inning replacement for Giambi. He's an EXCELLENT fielder. On the nights when both Williams and Giambi are out of the lineup, Lee plays the field and Clard DHes.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:00 AM
barnaby63

WABC and the Bergen Record are reporting that the Yankees are close to signing pitcher Greg Maddux.

Mussina
Vazquez
Brown
Maddux
Contreras

1918!!!!!1918!!!!

Old
02-17-2004, 11:17 AM
nj666

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
WABC and the Bergen Record are reporting that the Yankees are close to signing pitcher Greg Maddux.

Mussina
Vazquez
Brown
Maddux
Contreras

1918!!!!!1918!!!!
man, why even play next season? let's just have the world series parade the day after the yanks sign maddux.

basically, the yanks have great pitching (both starters and relievers) and an insane amount of tnt in their bats

Old
02-17-2004, 11:28 AM
nj666

the yanks could potentially have 3 batters that hit a total of 130-150 homeruns! I'm not even factoring posada in those numbers and he hit about 30 last season!

Old
02-17-2004, 11:28 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
No way are the 'Yanks going to pay him the $12-15m that he wants. Plus he does not want to leave the NL.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
No way are the 'Yanks going to pay him the $12-15m that he wants. Plus he does not want to leave the NL.
I also think that Maddux would get lit up in Yankee Stadium.

02-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Edge

I dunno, never underestimate a veteran pitcher who is known as a thinker.

Now if he were a flame thrower who just pulled back and fired possibly, but if Maddux were to sign, i wouldnt write him off just yet.

Funny thing is Travis Lee might just come here and we're forgetting that even he can hit about 20 homeruns and bat in the .255-.270 range.

I dont think Loften is bench fodder either, the guy has more speed than williams {in terms of baserunning} and unless the yanks lead off with jeter they dont really have another true leadoff man and even jeter isnt really a leadoff man.

my guess is williams is gonna DH and Lee is gonna make sure Giambi gets some rest while loften takes second and the leadoff spot.

Loften,Jeter,Arod,Giambi,Sheff,Posada, Matsui, Williams, whoever plays second.

Nothing against Bernie but that lineup is just so stacked.

Old
02-17-2004, 05:23 PM
JCProdigy

Just watching ESPN and they had Media surrounding Steinbrenner in his car. It was funny. He also said he respects Maddux but that they've had no contact with him.

Biggest word for the Yankees this year. HEALTH If they stay relatively healthy, this team is gonna win and win alot. Awesome lineup and really, a scary pitching staff if you look at it. Any huge injuries will also probably be met with another huge trade no doubt.

OH these Redsox fans up here in Bawston....So silly. Man are they thinking up every excuse in the book right now.

BTW. Happiest Man in New York right now? Donnie Baseball. His new hitting coaching gig just got alot easier. No doubt that Soriano and Boone would have been his biggest projects this season and he won't have to worry about either of em.....well is Boone officially done for the season yet???? I know that he was suppose to have sugery but all that news got pushed aside once A-Rod came up. If he is able to come back then the Yanks just got a 2nd baseman (used to play there right?) late in the season that, even with his faults, can put up great numbers from the 9 spot.

Old
02-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Edge

Ya know i've thought about Boone as a second baseman. He's played there before and some would argue it might be his best position. If he can make it back for the second half it might be reasonable to keep him on as a second baseman.

I mean what is the alternative? Releasing him?

The guy got off to a rough start as a yankee but he's not a bad player at all. He should be capable of at least hitting .270 and hitting 15-20 homeruns and stolen bases.

I think the yanks overpaid for him but he's not a bad player, he just hasnt had any luck since the trade.

Closed Thread