HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Redden to Florida?

Old
06-07-2008, 04:52 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

vCash: 500
Wade Redden isn't the player he was when many considered him a top 5,6 defenseman. That is true. That being said, it's a complete insult to him to call him a liability on the ice like some bitter Sens fans have been doing for the past season.

He hasn't been the same since his mom passed away two years ago. When you watch him play, you see a guy that is just going through the motions, a player that knows what he's suppose to do on the ice, but doesn't really have the intense competitive fire an elite player has.

That being said, it's entirely possible that he regains that passion for hockey he once had in a new environment, but that risk really isn't worth the money he will get on the open market.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:15 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
Wade Redden isn't the player he was when many considered him a top 5,6 defenseman. That is true. That being said, it's a complete insult to him to call him a liability on the ice like some bitter Sens fans have been doing for the past season.

He hasn't been the same since his mom passed away two years ago. When you watch him play, you see a guy that is just going through the motions, a player that knows what he's suppose to do on the ice, but doesn't really have the intense competitive fire an elite player has.

That being said, it's entirely possible that he regains that passion for hockey he once had in a new environment, but that risk really isn't worth the money he will get on the open market.
So we need to sign him and get torts as our coach....he'll light a fire under his ass.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
I pity whichever team gives Wade Redden the type of money he's asking for.
I'm in complete agreement. I'm so happy to not see L.A. connected to Redden whatsoever.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 06:57 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

LOL. I'm a habs fan and the second team I've seen the most this year is Ottawa, I've seen like 14 to 16 Sens games this year. That's 1/5 of their season and Redden was as bad as some Sens fans on this thread pointed out. I think that 3.5 million is actually way too much. The player I've seen this year wouldn't even be on my team at all. No heart and brings nothing.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 07:04 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
i've said it before and i'll say it again - the martin connection, plus a genuine need for a top defenceman, makes florida a prime candidate for signing redden.

Redden NEEDS a structured system, something he did not have in ottawa post-martin. I hope he will take that into account when considering which team to sign with, which probably means waiting until florida has a coach.

My favorites for redden still are NJ, Columbus, and Florida. NYR has been thrown in their by some, but i dont buy it, especially beacuse it would require letting roszival leave.

edit: i forgot to say that redden will get between 4.75-5M minimum.

06-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by weownoctober View Post
Reds will find his game once again in Florida, if that's where he goes. He played his best hockey under Martin, and i can only assume that Martin will hire someone who shares his coaching philosophy.

Be Redden gets somewhere between 5.5-6.5 if Hainsey is looking for/getting 5
I pity the team that signs Hainsey if the money is anything over 3 million. He may be good, but thats a huge overpayment.

As for Redden, I think he'll net about 5.5 on a 4-5 year deal. If he turns is game around(which I think he will) it'll will be worth it for the team.

06-07-2008, 09:54 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by weownoctober View Post
Reds will find his game once again in Florida, if that's where he goes. He played his best hockey under Martin, and i can only assume that Martin will hire someone who shares his coaching philosophy.

Be Redden gets somewhere between 5.5-6.5 if Hainsey is looking for/getting 5
In what distorted world is Hainsey getting 5 million dollars? I pray for the fans of that team that give him even 3.5 million. No way a second pairing defenseman gets 5 million.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I hope he adds Redden to play along with Bouw, not as a substitute. If he is signed and Bouw resigned, Florida suddenly has a very formidable top four pairing in:

Bouwmeester - Allen
Redden - Skrastins
Was Skrastins good for you guys last season? He was just brutal last season when with the Avs. However we appreciate getting Ruslan Salei from you guys. Huge upgrade.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:21 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Was Skrastins good for you guys last season? He was just brutal last season when with the Avs. However we appreciate getting Ruslan Salei from you guys. Huge upgrade.
Thats funny, because we can say the same thing.

I guess you can reference this trade when you mention players needing a change in scenery. Salei was amazing for us the season before last, but last season, he did a complete 180. Skrastins was awesome from the first game for us, and was playing top pairing minutes with Bouwmeester. Im sure you can say the exact same two sentences I just did, but with the names reversed. I think I can speak for all of us down here when I say we loved the move.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Reddens game had dropped off significantly since his mother passed away.

Maybe he can find his game again in a new situation.
There were rumored off-ice issues beyond that.

He's a liability, he's soft and he has no heart. About the only good things about him are that he's a steady passer and doesn't lose his cool.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Leroux 66

Quote:
He's incredibly soft (two words, Ryan Whitney ), bad defensively and no longer the offensive force he once was. He was poor in '06-'07 and got even worse this year...basically a liability for the Sens in every way.

Getting rid of Redden won't hurt the Senators' blueline at all. He wasn't helping them last year, IMO, and that's an understatement. The Phillips-Volchenkov pairing is always sturdy, but the Redden-Meszaros pairing was an absolute dissapointment.
wade redden should not be getting anywhere near 5 million, 4 million would be about right, the man got his ass whooped by arguably one of the softest players in the league in ryan whitney and was absolutely atrocious in the pens sens series this year.

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I know Redden had a terrible season but a 3.5M offer is just an insult
Are you kidding me. Redden has been on a decline for quite some time. 3.5 is the max he should get, but some team will be stupid enough to offer more.

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Thats funny, because we can say the same thing.

I guess you can reference this trade when you mention players needing a change in scenery. Salei was amazing for us the season before last, but last season, he did a complete 180. Skrastins was awesome from the first game for us, and was playing top pairing minutes with Bouwmeester. Im sure you can say the exact same two sentences I just did, but with the names reversed. I think I can speak for all of us down here when I say we loved the move.
Yep, good trade for both teams. Plus, we got a 3rd rounder out of it.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Yep, good trade for both teams. Plus, we got a 3rd rounder out of it.
Agreed, this is a nice case where a trade worked out for both teams. I certainly was impressed with Salei when we first got him because no one expected him to have the offensive game he displayed. I guess Anaheim never used him like that but Martin thought to put him on the PP and it worked.

But last year he regressed and took stupid penalty after stupid penalty, often costing us the game in the process (penalty with 2 minutes left, other team score to take the lead). Skrastins did a great job though, obviously not as offensively gifted though he did score at least once, he got back to his smart defensive ways and was blocking shots like mad. This also allowed Bouwmeester to once again be more confident offensively and he started to pick that part of his game back up.

That's why, while I'm hesitant to get Redden, you can't assume he can't get his game back, especially under the eyes of Martin. Outside of the Kilger trade, he's yet to do anything that actually harmed the team. Redden is another case of a player in need of a change of scenery.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:36 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat View Post
Are you kidding me. Redden has been on a decline for quite some time. 3.5 is the max he should get, but some team will be stupid enough to offer more.
No mater what your opinion or Ottawa's GM is, Ottawa has to know somebody will pay him 5Mish, so giving him a 3.5M offer is just like a slap in the face(not saying he doesn't deserves it from an Ottawa perspective).

It will be funny to see this summer if he gets a NTC in his deal, also how long the deal he will sign for(i am guessing he will get a 3 year deal after the past couple seasons)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:27 AM
zenator

It's not just mental with Wade (even though that part of his game declined).

Redden has lost a ton of the mobility he used to have. I don't know if it's groin injuries or something else. Redden was never a fast skater, but he was very agile and quick. He has definitely lost a step, and can't get rid of the puck before the forecheckers paste him into the glass anymore. Because it takes him longer to get to the puck, he doesn't have as much time to make decisions, and is always hurried. The guy went from being quick and agile to being below average. He's not exactly Luke Richardson turning like an aircraft carrier, but he's far from what he used to be.

The guy may recover his mental game in a new city, but the physical decline is irreversable.

Redden can still be a decent 3-4 d-man.

As for the Sens' $3.5 million offer, why should they pay Redden more than Phillips who is a better player ??? Wade should feel lucky they offered him Phillips money. It is amusing that Redden thinks he's better than Phillips, but maybe if he watched some film of himself, he's realize he needs to work on his game.

If Jay-Bo wants out, we'll take him (as will every other team). Should be a decent bidding war for him. For Florida's sake, Martin can't be as stupid as Keenan was in the Luongo-Bertuzzi trade.

zenator is offline   Reply With Quote