HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mouthguards

Old
06-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Breakaway23*

vCash: 500
Mouthguards

I just transistioned to a visor from a full-cage. Decided to wear a mouthguard. Definitely big breathing difference. I bought one mostly as a pad incase I get a stick or puck in the face.

Granted I have not played drop-in for 2 almost 3 years until now, but I found the mouthguard to be highly restrictive when it comes to breathing..

I bought a shock-doctor gel-max mouthguard.

I have seen Chris Drury wear a mouthguard that seems to be molded to his teeth better than what I have. I did actually boil it and mold it...I just found the one I bought to be kind of restrictive.

Anyone have any insights? I'll probably see my Dentist in a couple of weeks, maybe he has something better he could get?

Breakaway23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Balmer15

Send a message via MSN to Balmer15
A dental mouthgaurd should let you breathe a bit easier, but it would cost loads more. I had to get a more bulky mouthgaurd when I got my braces, it's just something you get used to. Give it a few more sessions, see if you can get used to it. If not either go back to a cage, or spend more money on a dental gaurd. I'd go with the cage.

Balmer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Mackee

Agreed. A dental mouthguard is LOADS better than a "boil and mold" mouthguard but you pay a lot more for it. I think if you can afford it, get a dental one. I don't ever play without one anymore (even when playing ball hockey). Not only do they protect your teeth, they reduce the risk of a concussion as well. Definitely a worthwhile investment.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 05:02 PM
deanosaur

Dental mouth guards are thinner and better mold, if it's done "right" the damn thing is nearly impossible to get off.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Breakaway23*

I just found this:
http://www.guardkit.com/en/

I don't know how good they are, anyone interested in going in, maybe on a group order to get a reduced price?

Says we would require a heavy model.
http://www.guardkit.com/en/categories.asp

Old
06-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Terror91
Lets Do It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmer15 View Post
A dental mouthgaurd should let you breathe a bit easier, but it would cost loads more. I had to get a more bulky mouthgaurd when I got my braces, it's just something you get used to. Give it a few more sessions, see if you can get used to it. If not either go back to a cage, or spend more money on a dental gaurd. I'd go with the cage.
I need the mouthguards you guys got? I have one but don't wear it due the fact that I can't breathe.

Terror91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Laoghaire

Maybe boiling it underground to get it to a higher temperature would melt it more and make it fit better. Or adding something with a higher boiling point to the water so it melts the mouthpiece more. Putting enough salt in the water can bring the boiling point to 120 degrees which will allow the mouthguard to more accurately mold to your teeth.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Balmer15

Send a message via MSN to Balmer15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
I need the mouthguards you guys got? I have one but don't wear it due the fact that I can't breathe.

That's only a thought, as they are very usually thinner. You should get used to any mouthguard over time though.

Balmer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:25 PM
frito

First off, a mouth guard isn't just to protect your teeth. Its primary purpose is to prevent a concussion. That is why you see youth hockey players who are required to wear a full cage are also required to wear a mouth guard.

That being said, you want to get this - http://customguards.com/. It is custom fit, dental quality mouth guard. Both of my daughters weear one. I, even with a full cage, wear a dental prepared guard as a few years ago, a dentist in our youth hokey organization provided custom fit mouth guards at a rediculously low price. Their Custom guards are exactly the same thing. I can tell you first hand, a properly fit custom guard doesn't restrict your ariflow in any way. In fact, you can hold normal conversation while wearing one.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway23 View Post
I just transistioned to a visor from a full-cage. Decided to wear a mouthguard. Definitely big breathing difference. I bought one mostly as a pad incase I get a stick or puck in the face.

Granted I have not played drop-in for 2 almost 3 years until now, but I found the mouthguard to be highly restrictive when it comes to breathing..

I have seen Chris Drury wear a mouthguard that seems to be molded to his teeth better than what I have. I did actually boil it and mold it...I just found the one I bought to be kind of restrictive.

Anyone have any insights? I'll probably see my Dentist in a couple of weeks, maybe he has something better he could get?
Just wondering why you would not keep wearing a full cage? They protect your eyes, teeth and face much better and you are less likely to be concussed, even without the mouthguard, though I know that can be helpful as well.

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:58 PM
bmbojc

i have been wearing a visor now for about 2 years and i'm seriously thinking of going back to a cage. i keep fogging up and even worse i can't shout properly with a mouth guard in!

has anyone gone back like this? i'm worried i'll find it hard with the grid back in front of me!

bmbojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 04:20 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway23 View Post

Just get one from the dentist like everyone else said.

They fit so tight you hardly notice them being on and offer a lot more protection than the boil 'n' bites.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Breakaway23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbojc View Post
i have been wearing a visor now for about 2 years and i'm seriously thinking of going back to a cage. i keep fogging up and even worse i can't shout properly with a mouth guard in!

has anyone gone back like this? i'm worried i'll find it hard with the grid back in front of me!
You might need a new visor.

At the very least clean your visor with dishwasher soap, that should solve the problem.

I have an Itech X100, used it twice, it hasn't fogged once. You can also move the visor forward a bit to give it a gap a little bit in the top this should help too.

Old
06-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Breakaway23*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Just wondering why you would not keep wearing a full cage? They protect your eyes, teeth and face much better and you are less likely to be concussed, even without the mouthguard, though I know that can be helpful as well.
Well I play in a non-contact Adult rec-league. Like most rec leagues they are no-contact.

With that said there is incidental contact. I honestly think my vision is better with the visor than the cage. Maybe it's just a helmet difference but I also thought my head was cooler and ventilated better with my Mission Intake helmet.

The mouthguard is just a further protective piece from the possibility of a puck or stick coming my way.

Old
06-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Breakaway23*

I went ahead and ordered a custom mouth-guard today from my dentist. It wasn't cheap about $150, but a whole lot cheaper than the dental work I am going to need in the near future about $500 worth.

Gotta love wisdom teeth for that one. Yay for extractions!

I'll post pics of it when I get it if you guys want to see it. I should have it by the end of this week, if not sometime this week.

Old
06-18-2008, 05:17 PM
MikeD

WOW...that was steep. The dentists here locally charge around 35US for them.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:15 PM
togahcky21

who needs them

if you play in a league where refs check for them, just put a piece of tap on you're front 2 teeth and you're good to go

togahcky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:53 PM
JumboJoe19
Hank027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ference View Post
who needs them

if you play in a league where refs check for them, just put a piece of tap on you're front 2 teeth and you're good to go
Exactly.

JumboJoe19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 05:24 PM
MikeD

You can sure try that but be prepared for the penalty should you get busted. From a 2 minute minor to a 10 misconduct at the Refs discretion. Personally, your nuts to play with out one. While I do not agree that the Mouthguard has any significant impact on reduction of concussions they sure do help keep your chompers intact.

Having several of your lower or upper teeth shattered......painfull and expensive.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
icedog11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
WOW...that was steep. The dentists here locally charge around 35US for them.
be careful there are different types of custom mouthguards,considered to be the best is a heat and pressure laminated mouthguard this is the type made by http://www.customguards.com. Many dentists offer a vacuum formed custom that is not nearly as protective or form fitting as a heat and pressure laminated mouthguard, make sure you ask what type of processing they use. You can expect to pay several hundred dollars for a heat and pressure laminated guard from a dentist or you can buy manufacturer direct from a company like customguards.comand spend $50.

icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:19 PM
MG91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ference View Post
who needs them

People who want to keep their teeth

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Breakaway23*

Hey guys I got some pics. The guard on the left is the custom fit one, the one on the right is the boil in bite.

If you see the boil in bite towards the rear molars, the guard is already deteriorating, you can tell: