HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help me with my workout regime please..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2008, 04:08 PM
  #1
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,670
vCash: 1550
Help me with my workout regime please..

I'm a bit of a hurry but here it is.

I want to lose some weight, and gain some definition in the arms. I want to lose the belly, and the boobs.

I'm 5'11, 17 and weight around 175. I'm a big guy but I am not visibly fat. I look about average weight.

I had a one week pass for the gym but it ran out, so I'm exercising at home until my dad gets me the corporate plan at the gym.

At home:
I run 20mins on the treadmill at 5-5.5 speed..burning around 200-225 calories in the process.
Do 50sit ups.
12lb curls, 5 sets of 10.
8lb butterfly, 5 sets of 10
Use an weight machine for arms, which involves three exercised. Moderate weight, 5 sets of 10. Note: By the end my arms burn to a point where I want to stop (I hear this is a good thing).

At the gym:

I run 20mins on the treadmill at 5-5.5 speed..burning around 200-225 calories in the process.
5mins of the kayak machine
Do 50sits ups
12.5lb curls, 5 sets of 10.
8lb butterfly, 5 sets of 10
Do 4 machines for arms
Do 4 machines for legs
Do an ab workout machine

Notes:
I exercise everyday for about an hour and a half on this regime. I will be going back to the gym by next week.

Questions:
How can I improve the workout as a whole?
How can I lose more weight?(as in what do I increase)
What is better for definition? Low weights, high reps or high weight, low reps?

Thanks,
-Arjun.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 05:28 PM
  #2
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Ok so if you want definition high reps low weight you want bulk high weight low reps. I would say you are kind of in the middle with your 10 reps, personally I use a pyramid scheme of 15 reps on low weight 10 on middle weight and 6 on high weight for most exercises anyway.

No idea what 5-5.5 rate is on that treadmill but it is about keeping your heartrate at a relatively low but constant level if you want to lose maximum fat, most treadmills have heartrate monitors, so that should be able to tell you. You also want to make sure you are doing exercises that are for your back and shoulders, not just your arms and legs.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 11:20 PM
  #3
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 7,080
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I would double your cardio.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 06:03 PM
  #4
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,670
vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Ok so if you want definition high reps low weight you want bulk high weight low reps. I would say you are kind of in the middle with your 10 reps, personally I use a pyramid scheme of 15 reps on low weight 10 on middle weight and 6 on high weight for most exercises anyway.

No idea what 5-5.5 rate is on that treadmill but it is about keeping your heartrate at a relatively low but constant level if you want to lose maximum fat, most treadmills have heartrate monitors, so that should be able to tell you. You also want to make sure you are doing exercises that are for your back and shoulders, not just your arms and legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I would double your cardio.
Okay I'll keep this all in mind thanks guys.

So I will run a lot more, and I will monitor my heartrate. I will also rework my rep system.

Sounds good.

Any other advice anyone?

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 07:12 PM
  #5
Cannonation
Registered User
 
Cannonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fairless Hills
Country: United States
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
well, if you want to get rid of that extra weight, running is the way to go, nothing beats it. Remember, distance isn't about speed, at least until you get to the point. I run minimum 4 miles a day, 5 days a week, and have had a long run of just over 15 miles, and right now, I'm sitting at 150 lbs at 5'10". Just go out, get yourself use to a tempo (9 minute mile to start), and then build up your mileage each week. Run 3 days, take a day off, then two more days, and take another day off and repeat. On the two day set, make the second day a longer run, if you are doing 3 miles, make it 4.
Now what I like to do for abs is do incline sit ups. I use my bench and put it declined all the way, and then lock my legs in the leg curls, and do 30 or so sit ups, and man, does it burn. Gives you full range of motion, not those ****** ass half reps, try it out, you'll feel it right away, just make sure you don't hurt your back.

Cannonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 03:01 PM
  #6
bmbojc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
for losing a bit of weight i found interval training really good - sprint 30 seconds jog 30 seconds kind of thing. for me this worked better than long middle speed runs, but you could always combine the two. as a bonus this is helpful for hockey too!

bmbojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 07:21 PM
  #7
Devils Pride 26
BrickCityHockey*****
 
Devils Pride 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
Jumping rope is quick, easy, and not only will you lose weight, it will improve your agility.

Devils Pride 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 08:46 PM
  #8
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,670
vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Pride 26 View Post
Jumping rope is quick, easy, and not only will you lose weight, it will improve your agility.
How many sets, and reps do you suggest I do? I have always heard jumping rope is good but never knew what a good amount is.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:40 PM
  #9
Devils Pride 26
BrickCityHockey*****
 
Devils Pride 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
How many sets, and reps do you suggest I do? I have always heard jumping rope is good but never knew what a good amount is.
I normally do 2 or 2:30 minutes and see how many I can do in that time. Try a search on google or something.

Devils Pride 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:32 AM
  #10
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,670
vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Pride 26 View Post
I normally do 2 or 2:30 minutes and see how many I can do in that time. Try a search on google or something.
Sounds good.

I think I'm going to just rework my routine to put more running and throw in jump rope every day or every other day.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:05 AM
  #11
ShowmeHawks
Registered User
 
ShowmeHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
You're leaving out one key piece of information. What does your diet look like? I ask because you can do all the running and working out you want, but if you're not eatting right it doesn't matter. Skip MacDonalds or Tim Horton's etc...pretty much all of the "fast food" joints.

Depending on how much weight you want to lose (shouldn't be that much), a diet might be something to look into too. Look more into the total calorie count, and not any of the fad diets (i.e. south-beach, atkins).

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:04 AM
  #12
dirtydevs9
Registered User
 
dirtydevs9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
- how about running outside instead of the treadmill? it works a lot better for me, i see more definition in the legs (i know you aren't looking for legs, but it's a plus) and

- non structured cardio is good for you (ex. basketball, roller hockey)

- how are you eating? this is a big factor along with your exercise.



good luck

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:13 PM
  #13
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,670
vCash: 1550
Yeah i've tried cutting down the junk food lately. I still eat some, but its about half of what I used to eat. Lately i've been trying to take the healthier route.

I do play road hockey for a few hours every Friday..But with work, school, homework..etc I don't have time to do too much.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:52 PM
  #14
dirtydevs9
Registered User
 
dirtydevs9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 181
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
That's very good about your diet, it shows you have control.
Now if you can only stay focused, and cut down even more on the junk food it is only a matter of time my friend.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:12 PM
  #15
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,196
vCash: 500
It's all about achievable goals. Many people try to go there doing WAY too much and exert themselves way too hard. While it's usually with good intentions, most usually quit. Working out is fun, but it doesn't need to be torture.

First step, assess what you eat. Not a quick look, but a thorough, complete log. If you eat 4 chips, write it down. Write everything down. There are wonderful websites online that can give you caloric and nutritional information for every food you will encounter. Knowing how much goes in is a very important part of the equation.

Along the lines of diet, most people forget to factor in their beverage habits. Sodas (while diet soda doesn't have sugars, it's not necessarily good for you either), juices (lots of sugar), and other beverages easily can be a 1/3 of some people's daily caloric intake. Water is your friend. So many people are afraid of fats, excessive sugars are the biggest threat in my mind.

Stay far away from fad diets. Anything program that says you can eat as much of "X" as you want is a complete waste. Healthy living is about balance and moderation, not gorging on some items and completely avoiding others. With a balanced diet and decent exercise program, 1-2 lbs a week is what you should be targeting.

Best of luck.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:31 AM
  #16
ShowmeHawks
Registered User
 
ShowmeHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
http://www.fitday.com

That is a site that I use to track what I eat. Although it doesn't have every possible thing we can cram down our throats, it is pretty helpful at tracking what you eat and how many calories those foods are. You can also add special items if you have the nutritional info handy.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:26 PM
  #17
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,670
vCash: 1550
Thanks for the support guys!

This is awesome, the first few posts were the workout regime and then the next few posts were the diet.

I'll make sure to check out that website ShowmeHawks.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:12 PM
  #18
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
At home:
I run 20mins on the treadmill at 5-5.5 speed..burning around 200-225 calories in the process. Why not run out side? For one, you get to see different things and breathe fresh air (maybe).
Do 50sit ups. Try the sit ups with a pillow behind the lower end of your back. This will increase the range just a little.
12lb curls, 5 sets of 10. Increase weight every once in a while and do 4 reps. Then go back to the normal weight. This increase will shock the muscle a little, making it think that you are changing weight. Decrease sets a little and increase weight, just a little as time goes on.
8lb butterfly, 5 sets of 10 Go 10 lbs and 3 sets.
Use an weight machine for arms, which involves three exercised. Moderate weight, 5 sets of 10. Note: By the end my arms burn to a point where I want to stop (I hear this is a good thing). Same increase weight and do 3 sets

At the gym:

I run 20mins on the treadmill at 5-5.5 speed..burning around 200-225 calories in the process.
5mins of the kayak machine Nice!
Do 50sits ups Use a sit up bench/Roman Chair. This will take you past the stop point
12.5lb curls, 5 sets of 10. Slowly increase weight (13.lbs and reduce sets to 3
8lb butterfly, 5 sets of 10 Same, increase weight and reduce sets
Do 4 machines for arms Good
Do 4 machines for legs Good
Do an ab workout machine Good

Notes:
I exercise everyday for about an hour and a half on this regime. I will be going back to the gym by next week.

Questions:
How can I improve the workout as a whole? Yep! Send me a PM and I will send you an Ab workout that's pretty good.
How can I lose more weight?(as in what do I increase) increase cadio. Running is the way to do it or riding a bike.
What is better for definition? Low weights, high reps or high weight, low reps? Definition: High reps, low weight. To build muscle, high weight, low reps. However, you have to get muscle first before you can define them.

Thanks, You are welcome!
-Arjun.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:52 PM
  #19
Biscuit Bullet
Registered User
 
Biscuit Bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,423
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Use free weights, not machines. Focus on legs (especially if you want to strengthen your skating stride), back and chest. For cardio just do whatever you enjoy.

It's all about finding a workout you can at least mildly enjoy. If you prefer cardio, focus on that, but I wouldn't ignore resistance training.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:09 PM
  #20
Leroux 66
Registered User
 
Leroux 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
Use free weights, not machines. Focus on legs (especially if you want to strengthen your skating stride), back and chest. For cardio just do whatever you enjoy.

It's all about finding a workout you can at least mildly enjoy. If you prefer cardio, focus on that, but I wouldn't ignore resistance training.
agreed the only stuff i use machines for is leg extensions, leg curls and leg press, everything else i do free weights. Leg Press and Squat really help for skating stride and lower body power, i found that my stride was a bit smoother after really focusing on my legs, repping 365 on squats and leg pressing 410. For cardio jump rope and running stairs with dumbells in your hand helps.

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:33 PM
  #21
Wantsumcheezwyrwine
Registered User
 
Wantsumcheezwyrwine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nashvegas
Country: Poland
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
Use free weights, not machines. Focus on legs (especially if you want to strengthen your skating stride), back and chest. For cardio just do whatever you enjoy.

It's all about finding a workout you can at least mildly enjoy. If you prefer cardio, focus on that, but I wouldn't ignore resistance training.
Agreed--resistance training is the best.

Wantsumcheezwyrwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:08 AM
  #22
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?
 
BogsDiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Ok so if you want definition high reps low weight you want bulk high weight low reps. I would say you are kind of in the middle with your 10 reps, personally I use a pyramid scheme of 15 reps on low weight 10 on middle weight and 6 on high weight for most exercises anyway.

No idea what 5-5.5 rate is on that treadmill but it is about keeping your heartrate at a relatively low but constant level if you want to lose maximum fat, most treadmills have heartrate monitors, so that should be able to tell you. You also want to make sure you are doing exercises that are for your back and shoulders, not just your arms and legs.
This is completely inaccurate.
It's already been stated on these boards and throughout the globe several times that low weights and high reps will NOT HELP YOU GET MORE RIPPED.
You want to be ripped? Get bigger muscles and lose fat - that's done through heavy lifting, low reps and diet.

Furthermore, 10 reps is far too many as are 5 sets of each.
6-8 reps is usually the norm but I've gotten great success on doing 4-6 reps. And I never do more than 3 sets for any one given exercise.

Also, it's not recommended to perform abs before a workout. It weakens the core - which is needed to perform weight training.

And like so many here have suggested, stick to free weights if you can. Certain body parts can respond well to cables (Triceps for instance) but for the most part if you want strength and size, stick with old fashion iron.
There is no machine on this planet that can give you what the flat bench or squat can with free weights..

EDIT: Sorry I had to add this one last time. I really don't mean to insult anyone, but any person that states, "To get defined you need to use lower weight and higher reps" doesn't know what they're talking about.
I have 7% body fat and have never been more ripped in my life and I haven't done an exerice above 6 reps in the past 3 years.
What give you more definition is less fat. And what would stretch your skin out more? Small muscles or big muscles?
The only thing smaller weights and higher reps will do for anyone is build small muscles.
Think of it this way. Take a tube sock and stuff a hardball in it. It'll stretch the sock somewhat and show off a small, hard round ball in there.
Now stuff a football in there. How much more would it be stretched out? Wouldn't it look far more impressive than the hardball?
So if you had only 8% body fat, but had huge boulder's for biceps, wouldn't that make your skin stretch and bulge more than if you had 14" arms? Of course.
But the only way you can decrease fat, which will help show off those large muscles better, is to eat right and perform cardio.
Eat 6 small meals a day high in protein, veggies and some fruits. Sub at least two of those meals with protein shakes as well.
And also remember that the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be to burn fat.
Again, having small muscles from lifting a 15 lb dumbbell 10 or 15 times won't burn as much fat as having 18" guns from lifting a 120lb barbell 4 times.

One last time; low weight and high reps does not have anything to do with how defined or ripped you will become.
This old wives tale has been circulating for years because when woman join a gym they say "I want to be toned, not big" so the trainers give them lower weights and higher reps. But the only reason why they give them that routine is to prevent them from getting big. And they tell them to do more cardio to stay toned. It has nothing to do with performing a lot of reps with lower weights.
So for years everyone thought, "To get defined, do lower weights". What a huge mistake for anyone to make. Look how ripped Arnold was. Do you think he got that way from curling 20lb dumbells 20 times?


Last edited by BogsDiamond: 06-24-2008 at 09:20 AM.
BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:48 AM
  #23
Kamus
Registered User
 
Kamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
This is completely inaccurate.
It's already been stated on these boards and throughout the globe several times that low weights and high reps will NOT HELP YOU GET MORE RIPPED.
You want to be ripped? Get bigger muscles and lose fat - that's done through heavy lifting, low reps and diet.

Furthermore, 10 reps is far too many as are 5 sets of each.
6-8 reps is usually the norm but I've gotten great success on doing 4-6 reps. And I never do more than 3 sets for any one given exercise.

Also, it's not recommended to perform abs before a workout. It weakens the core - which is needed to perform weight training.

And like so many here have suggested, stick to free weights if you can. Certain body parts can respond well to cables (Triceps for instance) but for the most part if you want strength and size, stick with old fashion iron.
There is no machine on this planet that can give you what the flat bench or squat can with free weights..

EDIT: Sorry I had to add this one last time. I really don't mean to insult anyone, but any person that states, "To get defined you need to use lower weight and higher reps" doesn't know what they're talking about.
I have 7% body fat and have never been more ripped in my life and I haven't done an exerice above 6 reps in the past 3 years.
What give you more definition is less fat. And what would stretch your skin out more? Small muscles or big muscles?
The only thing smaller weights and higher reps will do for anyone is build small muscles.
Think of it this way. Take a tube sock and stuff a hardball in it. It'll stretch the sock somewhat and show off a small, hard round ball in there.
Now stuff a football in there. How much more would it be stretched out? Wouldn't it look far more impressive than the hardball?
So if you had only 8% body fat, but had huge boulder's for biceps, wouldn't that make your skin stretch and bulge more than if you had 14" arms? Of course.
But the only way you can decrease fat, which will help show off those large muscles better, is to eat right and perform cardio.
Eat 6 small meals a day high in protein, veggies and some fruits. Sub at least two of those meals with protein shakes as well.
And also remember that the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be to burn fat.
Again, having small muscles from lifting a 15 lb dumbbell 10 or 15 times won't burn as much fat as having 18" guns from lifting a 120lb barbell 4 times.

One last time; low weight and high reps does not have anything to do with how defined or ripped you will become.
This old wives tale has been circulating for years because when woman join a gym they say "I want to be toned, not big" so the trainers give them lower weights and higher reps. But the only reason why they give them that routine is to prevent them from getting big. And they tell them to do more cardio to stay toned. It has nothing to do with performing a lot of reps with lower weights.
So for years everyone thought, "To get defined, do lower weights". What a huge mistake for anyone to make. Look how ripped Arnold was. Do you think he got that way from curling 20lb dumbells 20 times?
Thank you great post.
Just to restate because it always comes up
Low weight, high rep routines decrease muscle size

Kamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:12 AM
  #24
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
I want to lose some weight,
HIT training for 45-1hr 4-5 times a week will do it!

High weight and lower reps i find is better. You want to work your muscles to failure! Also try taking a protein shake after the workout to help the muscles recover.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:29 AM
  #25
Biscuit Bullet
Registered User
 
Biscuit Bullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,423
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
This is completely inaccurate.
It's already been stated on these boards and throughout the globe several times that low weights and high reps will NOT HELP YOU GET MORE RIPPED.
You want to be ripped? Get bigger muscles and lose fat - that's done through heavy lifting, low reps and diet.

Furthermore, 10 reps is far too many as are 5 sets of each.
6-8 reps is usually the norm but I've gotten great success on doing 4-6 reps. And I never do more than 3 sets for any one given exercise.

Also, it's not recommended to perform abs before a workout. It weakens the core - which is needed to perform weight training.

And like so many here have suggested, stick to free weights if you can. Certain body parts can respond well to cables (Triceps for instance) but for the most part if you want strength and size, stick with old fashion iron.
There is no machine on this planet that can give you what the flat bench or squat can with free weights..

EDIT: Sorry I had to add this one last time. I really don't mean to insult anyone, but any person that states, "To get defined you need to use lower weight and higher reps" doesn't know what they're talking about.
I have 7% body fat and have never been more ripped in my life and I haven't done an exerice above 6 reps in the past 3 years.
What give you more definition is less fat. And what would stretch your skin out more? Small muscles or big muscles?
The only thing smaller weights and higher reps will do for anyone is build small muscles.
Think of it this way. Take a tube sock and stuff a hardball in it. It'll stretch the sock somewhat and show off a small, hard round ball in there.
Now stuff a football in there. How much more would it be stretched out? Wouldn't it look far more impressive than the hardball?
So if you had only 8% body fat, but had huge boulder's for biceps, wouldn't that make your skin stretch and bulge more than if you had 14" arms? Of course.
But the only way you can decrease fat, which will help show off those large muscles better, is to eat right and perform cardio.
Eat 6 small meals a day high in protein, veggies and some fruits. Sub at least two of those meals with protein shakes as well.
And also remember that the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be to burn fat.
Again, having small muscles from lifting a 15 lb dumbbell 10 or 15 times won't burn as much fat as having 18" guns from lifting a 120lb barbell 4 times.

One last time; low weight and high reps does not have anything to do with how defined or ripped you will become.
This old wives tale has been circulating for years because when woman join a gym they say "I want to be toned, not big" so the trainers give them lower weights and higher reps. But the only reason why they give them that routine is to prevent them from getting big. And they tell them to do more cardio to stay toned. It has nothing to do with performing a lot of reps with lower weights.
So for years everyone thought, "To get defined, do lower weights". What a huge mistake for anyone to make. Look how ripped Arnold was. Do you think he got that way from curling 20lb dumbells 20 times?

In general, you're right, but low weight/high reps is almost a form of cardio, which does make you toned.

There is definitely a misconception out there though. Muscles cannot get more defined. They can either grow or shrink. That's it. Definition is just low body fat.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.