HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help me with my workout regime please..

Old
06-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Robin Hood

vCash: 500
If I were you, I would cut down on the machines and start using handweights instead, because then you get to use the supporting muscles as well, which tend to be isolated from the workout when using machines.

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:01 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
In general, you're right, but low weight/high reps is almost a form of cardio, which does make you toned.

There is definitely a misconception out there though. Muscles cannot get more defined. They can either grow or shrink. That's it. Definition is just low body fat.
You're right. But if you're lifting weights to get more toned, then it would be better to simply do cardio and then weight train on seperate days.

By doing the way he has, he's not getting the better of either world. He's fatiguing his muscles but they're not growing enough due to the high volume and low resistance. And then while he is getting some form of cardio from his high-rep workouts, it's not as much if he was simply running.

He would be better off doing cardio on separate days and then hit the weights in between.

I've also read some excellent articles that shows doing 3 sets compared to 1 or 2 isn't necessarily more beneficial. In most of these studies they've found that subjects that only performed 1 set for each exercise compared to 3, grew just as much as the '3' group.

Rest is the biggest key. Rest at least 2-3 minutes in between each exercise. Rest is what builds muscle. The more rested, the stronger the muscle recovers and rebuilds. That's why doing the same body part twice a week is frowned upon.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I didn't read any other post other than the first one, but if you are trying to get rid of love handles, everything I've read online has said the only way to get rid of this is to do cardio (run, etc). Any of those ab machines, including crunches, will strengthen your abs, but if you have fat in the way, they won't show.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Opeth11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
HIT training for 45-1hr 4-5 times a week will do it!
Most people who just start off with HIIT will barely be even able to handle 5 minutes, let alone 45-60 minutes of it. But yes, HIIT would be a good start to losing weight; and yes, it will suck.

Opeth11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 08:14 PM
bodangleroo28

I actually have the complete opposite of your little dilema, i am about 5'8" and only weigh about 120lbs. I need desperatly to gain weight, i lift about 3 times a week and eat as much as i can, any suggestions?

bodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Lars

Send a message via MSN to Lars
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer6 View Post
I actually have the complete opposite of your little dilema, i am about 5'8" and only weigh about 120lbs. I need desperatly to gain weight, i lift about 3 times a week and eat as much as i can, any suggestions?
eat more

Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Lars

most of your success in bodybuilding is attributed to diet.
alot of these workouts mentioned will work with a good diet.

if you have a relatively slower metabolism make sure u dont eat carbs a couple hours before bed, make sure u eat fats, don't shy away... but don't go to town with them aswell lol. (aslong as they are good fats.... peanut butter is good... -protein+fat). Keep your cals to a certain amount each day and be consistant. Drink protein shakes, and try to get about 150g of protein per day. Drink water, and rest.

Old
06-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Lars

heres a great weightlifting/diet/bodybuilding forum.
goodluck!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/

Old
06-25-2008, 01:16 PM
AngryBoss

Anyone who performs HIIT training for more than 15 minutes is asking for punishment.
HIIT is specifically designed to be harder and shorter than regular cario workouts.

It's usually good to mix up the two. HIIT twice a week and then regular running or cardio another 2-3 times a week.

Heck, just try to sprint 100 meters more than 4 times with a minute rest inbetween runs. You'll be on the ground staring at what you ate the day before.

Old
06-25-2008, 01:22 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer6 View Post
Like Lars said, eat a lot more.
Try to consume 2:1 ratio of protein to body weight.
So if you're 120, eat 240 grams of protein a day. At the very minimum, eat 150 grams.

On top of that, lift heavy weights and as soon as you hit 6 reps per exercise move up in weight.

Don't perform cardio 8 hours before or after lifting. It will eat up muscle for energy. Try to do your cardio on off-days.
And HIIT training is far better to retain muscle than typical long-distance or long winded cardio.

You'll gain in no time.

Old
06-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opeth11 View Post
Most people who just start off with HIIT will barely be even able to handle 5 minutes, let alone 45-60 minutes of it. But yes, HIIT would be a good start to losing weight; and yes, it will suck.
Yes HIIT sucks...Im 6'5 225lbs so i have alot of weight to support.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote