HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hossa would take less to stay in Pittsburgh

Old
06-06-2008, 08:21 PM
likea

vCash: 500
Hossa would take less to stay in Pittsburgh

Quote:
A year ago, Crosby re-signed for less money - an average of $8.7 million per season through 2012-13 - to help keep the Penguins together. Hossa, who meshed so well with Crosby after being added at the Feb. 26 trading deadline, is willing to do the same thing.

Hossa expects his agent, Rich Winter, to start talking with Shero soon.

"I'd rather take less and play on a good team," Hossa said. "Hopefully, I can return here and be part of this organization but, with the salary cap, I know how hard it is. There's lots of players to be signed, so we'll see what's going to happen."

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid...e&service=page

likea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Hammerwise

To be honest, players say that all the time. Malone said it the other day. But they all say it in this day and age, and what player coming off a cup appearance is gonna say "i'm following the money"?

Will hossa, malone, orpik, fleury all take pay cuts to stay in PITTS?

Really doubtful.

(i think the decision is really to re-sign Hossa for 7mil OR re-sign malone AND orpik for 7mil)

Hammerwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:33 PM
MuffinMan*

I remember when Redden said that about playing for the Sens......Hossa is going to the highest bidder for ~ 8-9million.

MuffinMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:39 PM
likea

its funny because he said if he wanted to make a ton of money he would of just stayed with Atlanta.....

sure, highest bidder....

Old
06-06-2008, 08:43 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by likea View Post
its funny because he said if he wanted to make a ton of money he would of just stayed with Atlanta.....

sure, highest bidder....
Exactly.

Anyway i hope he's true to his word. 8M for 3 years perhaps. The Hossa trade was EASILY worth it even if he goes someplace else, we made it 2 games away from the cup while being dominated every game. he was one of our best players, both him, and Fleury easily shed their playoff choker labels people have gave them.

People keep thinking everyone playes in the NHL to get rich, and only play where the money is. I hate that.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:44 PM
fizban

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan15 View Post
I remember when Redden said that about playing for the Sens......Hossa is going to the highest bidder for ~ 8-9million.
Redden would take a discount too. The problem is that they want him to take a 50% pay cut. I don't blame him for not agreeing to it. I'd bet that he'd have taken 4.5-5.5 though.

Edit: Oh yeah, then there's the obvious difference that they're asking Redden to take a decrease in pay whereas Hossa is just being asked to take a smaller increase than he otherwise would get on the open market. The difference there alone is huge.

Quote:

sure, highest bidder....
Apparently they offered him a really large contract just before the deadline and he declined.

Last edited by fizban: 06-06-2008 at 09:02 PM.
fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:44 PM
SomeDude

I'm not going to get my hopes up, as many players say the right things until the cash is in their hands, but imagine HFboards if the Pens retained the majority of their FA's, including Hossa.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 08:54 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:

sure, highest bidder....
Show me where he said that.

Hossa never signed with Atlanta because he wanted to test the open market. The Thrashers didn't even get into serious financial discussions with him.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:00 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post

Hossa never signed with Atlanta because he wanted to test the open market. The Thrashers didn't even get into serious financial discussions with him.
no problem.

go to pittsburghpenguins.com

now click on the Hossa interview on the front page. its the second question.

he says even if i wanted to make a couple more dollars i would of just re-signed with Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now eat some crow!!!

"

Old
06-06-2008, 09:02 PM
ThatGuy

Send a message via MSN to ThatGuy
Quote:
no problem.

he says even if i wanted to make a couple more dollars i would of just re-signed with Atlanta!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now eat some crow!!!

"
No reason to be a jerk...

ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:03 PM
5H4RK5

It would be nice to see the Pens keep there team together. If they are loaded at one position in there farm system maybe they can let a few guys go and bring up some youth. It would be nice to keep Crosby and Hossa together because all I hear is we need a scoring winger in Pittsburgh now you have one of the best 2 way playing winger in Hossa. I would say that Pitt's top 3 to keep IMO are Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and Hossa would be my next choice if they were to have a top 4.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
no problem.

now eat some crow!!!

"
A link would be nice. Anyway...

...Drury and Briere said the exact same thing last year. They are no longer members of the Sabres.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:04 PM
66-29-33

Quote:

http://www.wpxi.com/video/16529993/index.html

He says it at 210.

Old
06-06-2008, 09:05 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovanek View Post
A link would be nice. Anyway...

...Drury and Briere said the exact same thing last year. They are no longer members of the Sabres.
sorry, i forgot the www. in front of Pittsburghpenguins.com when i made a link. most people realize it goes there.

Old
06-06-2008, 09:08 PM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Hossa's beyond gone. It looked like a ridiculously good fit for him in Pittsburgh, from a scoring point of view and a solid team perspective, but Shero's got way more things to worry about: re-signing Fleury to a bigger contract being the biggest one. I highly doubt he lets Orpik walk, but at the same time I see Malone gone.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Hemsky4PM

Basically all he is saying is that a good team doesn't necessarily have to match the money offered by a bad team. I'm sure he'd go to another very competitive team like San Jose or Minnesota if they were offering a million more a season or a longer deal.

The only way I think the Pens could keep Hossa would be on a one year deal, and that isn't nearly enough security for a guy looking for a home run deal.

I say he signs with a good team for $8M average and at least 6 years.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:09 PM
fizban

Quote:
sorry, i forgot the www. in front of Pittsburghpenguins.com when i made a link. most people realize it goes there.
You're such an ass.

fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:10 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Well then he is lying, the Thrashers never even got into serious financials. They made one preliminary offer, at which point he said he wanted to go to UFA. The only offer I heard the Thrashers make was in the $7 million range, which is well below what many think he is worth after his strong playoff run.

We in Atlanta have been through Hossa's song and dance before, don't be fooled.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Trends Analyst
Squirrel!

players just say that so when they do jet to another team for more money it helps them save face.

would be nice though i guess, he would stay in the east and he looked pretty good with crosby.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Isn't there a condition where if Hossa re-ups with the Pens they give up another pick to Atlanta?

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2008, 09:14 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Basically all he is saying is that a good team doesn't necessarily have to match the money offered by a bad team. I'm sure he'd go to another very competitive team like San Jose or Minnesota if they were offering a million more a season or a longer deal.

The only way I think the Pens could keep Hossa would be on a one year deal, and that isn't nearly enough security for a guy looking for a home run deal.

I say he signs with a good team for $8M average and at least 6 years.
What he is saying is he has had fun here, he likes it ehre and he would take a few dollars less to stay on the team, but there is a limit to his paycut. 7.5-8M i see him signing for, for 3 years. 3 more years at a chance to get the cup, then he gets his dreampay at age 32 untill he retires. I'd **** a goat if we could keep Hossa for 3 more years.

Old
06-06-2008, 09:15 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMozzie View Post
players just say that so when they do jet to another team for more money it helps them save face.

would be nice though i guess, he would stay in the east and he looked pretty good with crosby.
Yeah, some do. Like Kariya.

Old
06-06-2008, 09:15 PM
likea

Quote:
Well then he is lying, the Thrashers never even got into serious financials. They made one preliminary offer, at which point he said he wanted to go to UFA. The only offer I heard the Thrashers make was in the $7 million range, which is well below what many think he is worth after his strong playoff run.

We in Atlanta have been through Hossa's song and dance before, don't be fooled.
so now that we have a link and it is true he is a liar....maybe he wanted to play for a team that has a chance to win.

Old
06-06-2008, 09:16 PM
likea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Isn't there a condition where if Hossa re-ups with the Pens they give up another pick to Atlanta?
no, the deal is done.

Old
06-06-2008, 09:19 PM
nmbr_24

I don't see how anyone wouldn't like playing on a line with Crosby.
One other thing to keep in mind, Hossa has also said that he would very much like to play with his good friend Zdeno Chara.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote