HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby's agent whining about lack of attention for Sid

Old
06-08-2008, 10:36 PM
newyorkrangers11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacity View Post
Evidently, ESPN didn't want to cast their net wider when it was Lecavalier and Thornton a few years back, pre-lockout, given that they passed on the NHL license.

That also adds to the point; the post-lockout NHL started with Crosby. He was the initial poster-boy, and now they are starting to cast it wider; the isocams with Ovechkin, Malkin, etc. Do you really think a ton of Americans knew Alexander Ovechkin would be a superstar and a face of the NHL? Didn't think so. He is now, though.

You may think it's a losing cause, and ultimately it might, but did you see the viewer ratings for game five? I deal in facts, son.
You're a smart man. Can't argue with numbers. However is it that everyone is watching Crosby cause they love him, or cause they wanna see him near tears? Either way he draws a crowd, and attention, which this thread was ultimately about. His "lack" of attention. Whether it is negative or positive attention, it is still attention. and too much of it.

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:38 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Players like Ovechkin do get as much attention as Crosby but when Ovy or another player gets it, they're not hated for that.

When Ovechkin was on a tear, the board was filled with how awesome he is. All the front page was with his threads.

Now, based on this board, Crosby rarely gets any attention. He's hated as much as Chris Pronger.....

Now, on TV, it is a different story but they like a story that 20 yr old captain is in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I'm 200% sure that if it was Ovechkin [Just using him as an example], he would get same kind of treatment.
I don't think it's just the media attention that makes Crosby disliked on the boards.
(although in alk honesy, it's hard to ague that Ovechkin gets as much media exposure).

There might also be something about Crosby's public demeanor and on ice behavior that rubs people the wrong way. I, for my part, was not impressed (to say the least) with Crosby's getting into the verbal match-ups with veteran players (e.g. his less than respectful handling of Forsberg, who at the time was/is one of the most respected players around the league).

That just seems wrong (not to mention the ire that from the other team's players when a cocky 18 year slings insults at somebody who's almost old enough to be his father).

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:42 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I do hate the attention he receives. But I hate him (and his family) for personal reasons that I have time and time again said that I will not delve into on this board or divulge information to anyone outside of my immediate family.
How is it wrong to be sickened by them overreacting to one player making a routine play? I have no problem with them praising Crosby if he makes an amazing skilled play. However if he's just making a routine pass to Malkin on the point who drills it home, that's no different than Aaron ****ing Downey for christ-sakes.
phil kessel is that you?

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
albathegreat*

I agree, its sickening the attention he gets.

I swear if I have to hear strong strong his legs are or how great his edges on his skates are I will fly through my t.v.

albathegreat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post

There might also be something about Crosby's public demeanor and on ice behavior that rubs people the wrong way. I, for my part, was not impressed (to say the least) with Crosby's getting into the verbal match-ups with veteran players (e.g. his less than respectful handling of Forsberg, who at the time was/is one of the most respected players around the league).

That just seems wrong (not to mention the ire that from the other team's players when a cocky 18 year slings insults at somebody who's almost old enough to be his father).
If Peter Forsberg (of all people) had made a diving gesture at me after a game where I had my teeth broken, and then got ripped apart by the Flyers, their coach, and the Philly media I would've told him to **** off too.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:53 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
No, there would be comments made. No, I didn't voice my opinion on here about how sick I was of hearing only about Carey Price in the Boston series. But, I was. I don't like when one player gets all the attention and that's even with how much I love Carey Price as a player and a person. Put Crosby in a Habs jersey, I'll hate the guy, I always will, I'll be sick of hearing all about him but I'll have to cheer for him as a Montreal Canadiens, but that's about as far as it will go.
It's amazing hating someone for that lol...are you jalous or something? Jesus christ.. are you 8 years old?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:54 PM
AK

What is with all the Crosby hate? He has done nothing to ask for all of the attention he gets, and has said on multiple occasions that he wishes he did not have to deal with the media circus. I just get tired of hearing all the time about how he is a whiner and a diver, how he is a disgrace to the game, and how in some cases, people say he's not a team player (look at the assist totals). Sid is an excellent ambassador to the game, and I realize that the press rides him sometimes for the benefit of the league, but he does not ask for it. It's just angry fans of other teams who cannot get over what a great player and person he is, so they resort to looking for any possible flaw.

It's getting old.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:54 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

If he didn't like the lack of attention on CBC, why didn't he just watch NBC/VS. ?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Rayne*

This thread is incomplete without this emoticon.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The most anoying thing by far on hf is the people crying about Crosby all the time.
Jealousy

HF is around 20yrs old

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 10:58 PM
AK

And yes, for people to call out Brisson or Crosby for whining is hypocritical, as many hockey fans devote much of their time to WHINING about Crosby and Brisson.

Old
06-08-2008, 10:58 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
If Peter Forsberg (of all people) had made a diving gesture at me after a game where I had my teeth broken, and then got ripped apart by the Flyers, their coach, and the Philly media I would've told him to **** off too.
Well, it's not like Crosby never dives and it's not like Forsberg is the only veteran player on whom Crosby dropped an F-bomb early in his career.

Either way, I am not saying Crosby is always to blame in such situations, but these have to be kept in mind why Crosby gets negative rep with some fans.

Old
06-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

The NHL picked the perfect player to base its marketing around. Love him or hate him, he has you talking.

How many people can be so controversial without really doing anything that's, well, controversial?

Old
06-08-2008, 11:00 PM
AK

Quote:
The NHL picked the perfect player to base its marketing around. Love him or hate him, he has you talking.

How many people can be so controversial without really doing anything that's, well, controversial?
Good point.

Old
06-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Well, it's not like Crosby never dives and it's not like Forsberg is the only veteran player on whom Crosby dropped an F-bomb early in his career.

Either way, I am not saying Crosby is always to blame in such situations, but these have to be kept in mind why Crosby gets negative rep with some fans.
But disrespect is a two way street, that's what I'm saying. Forsberg disrespected Crosby so Crosby gave him the same treatment in return. Forsberg is no angel himself.

Every thing Crosby does gets magnified, not just the good stuff. No one cares if Tom Kostopolous makes a nice pass to the blueline for a goal from the point, but it's also not an international incident if Tom Kostopolous' head goes back when he gets high sticked.

Old
06-08-2008, 11:10 PM
5H4RK5

Tell Crosby's agent to lose the ego and just sit there and get the contract details done buddy.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:14 PM
tiger_80

Quote:

Every thing Crosby does gets magnified, not just the good stuff. No one cares if Tom Kostopolous makes a nice pass to the blueline for a goal from the point, but it's also not an international incident if Tom Kostopolous' head goes back when he gets high sticked.
very true. But I wonder why there is no similar backlash against other star players.

The argument that people are really envious of Crosby because he's so young and have so much money, IMO, does not hold any water. The truth is Ovechkin is not much older, is as famous and makes just as much money as Crosby.

Old
06-08-2008, 11:15 PM
octopi

Commiting crimes=all the attention he'll want and then some

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Jacob

I see more threads relating to Crosby on the Canadiens forum than I do on the Penguins forum. Now why is that...

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:20 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I see more threads relating to Crosby on the Canadiens forum than I do on the Penguins forum. Now why is that...

because that's where the thread appeared and fans of other teams post here.

Go away, troll...

Old
06-08-2008, 11:21 PM
ThisYearsModel

The US coverage was all-Crosby, all the time. The announcers, especially Pierre McGuire, sounded like his agents. It was like the Wings were the road team and NBC were the Penguins announcers.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:23 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
I never even heard of Stephen Crosby.

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Jacob

Quote:
because that's where the thread appeared and fans of other teams post here.

Go away, troll...

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:08 AM
backs4mvp

Quote:
How is Crosby the most marketable player in the NHL? It must be Canadian bias because Ovechkin is more exciting, is the better goal scorer, has the better personality and has overall more likability than Crosby. So the only coherent reason (even though the reasoning itself is incoherent) I can come up with is it's just because Crosby is North American and Ovechkin is Russian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhockey View Post
your posts are hilarious... can we hate crosby any more? bias is one thing, but degrading the best player in the world because he doesn't double everyone in points... its not his fault that the media says his name all the time...

not trying to get mad at you I know this is a crosby hate thread but he is an absurd player to watch .... Ovechkin is unreal.. Sid is just better at using his teammates which in turn makes you win more... IMO..
Actually, what's hilarious is that you can in some way claim that he's degrading Crosby. This is what I hate about some Crosby fans... if someone claims Ovechkin's better in multiple areas, it's defined as hating/degrading/insulting Crosby. I read the entire thread.. and no where did I see anyone degrading Crosby(Unless calling him a whiner is degrading?), I read posts denying his Gretzky type hype... What I didn't see was anyone saying he sucks, he's an idiot, etc, which is what degrading would be.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:25 AM
bigeasy

I think part of the reason for the anti-Crosby feeling is that the NHL decided, with good reason, he was the face of the "New" NHL - Sid is going to be the complete focus. But then Sid, who is a great player, is rather bland - he doesn't have a lot of personality - he comes off as a whiner, IMHO. Because of this people get sick of him being shoved down our throats. While you look at Ovechkin, and yes I am a Caps fan, His popularity was not because the NHL decided to promote him it was because of not only the way his plays but his personality. Remember the All-Star game even though he missed the spin around shot people loved it and him. The fans chose Ovechkin and that is why there is not the complaining when people talk about him. The NHL chose Sid not the people.

bigeasy is offline   Reply With Quote