HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers articles

Old
06-07-2008, 08:56 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Oilers articles

Potulny joins Oilers in swap of prospects

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Oi...89831-sun.html

Oilers swap prospects with Philly

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Oi...02851-sun.html

prospects pushed to limits

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Co...03651-sun.html

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Oilerdiehard

Thanks HA101. It is always appreciated.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:01 PM
theoil

"Any time you're looking at athletes of this nature they're physically very capable people," said Serdachny. "So biomechanics and technique really play an important role. It's about teaching them the techniques they need to become quicker, stronger and faster. They're fast now, but a lot of the guys are not ready for NHL speed, so we're teaching them acceleration and first-step speed techniques, dynamic balance and agility, and puck skills they need to practice."

And like the broken record I can be I ask again. Why isn't this guy employed by the Oilers full time to work with all their players and prospects?

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:07 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
"Any time you're looking at athletes of this nature they're physically very capable people," said Serdachny. "So biomechanics and technique really play an important role. It's about teaching them the techniques they need to become quicker, stronger and faster. They're fast now, but a lot of the guys are not ready for NHL speed, so we're teaching them acceleration and first-step speed techniques, dynamic balance and agility, and puck skills they need to practice."

And like the broken record I can be I ask again. Why isn't this guy employed by the Oilers full time to work with all their players and prospects?

Because they're holding that job open for Moreau's second-cousin.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
He is.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:23 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:

From the Oilers website:

Q: What are some of your duties with the Oilers during the season?

A: Iíve got a really great job, itís working with professional athletes. My jobs are varied from running prospects camp to doing rookie camp and main training camp to Mac-T having me work with the D sometimes or working with the whole team. Also, working with our young prospects throughout the year in Wilkes-Barre and Stockton.

Sounds full time to me.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 02:06 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
From the Oilers website:

Q: What are some of your duties with the Oilers during the season?

A: Iíve got a really great job, itís working with professional athletes. My jobs are varied from running prospects camp to doing rookie camp and main training camp to Mac-T having me work with the D sometimes or working with the whole team. Also, working with our young prospects throughout the year in Wilkes-Barre and Stockton.

Sounds full time to me.
Maybe I am wrong but on his website I saw a lot of camps and training that had nothing to do with the Oilers. I saw him as an independant with the Oilers being one (and maybe a major) of his clients.

Old
06-07-2008, 02:27 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Maybe I am wrong but on his website I saw a lot of camps and training that had nothing to do with the Oilers. I saw him as an independant with the Oilers being one (and maybe a major) of his clients.
I'm sure that's true....are you asking why the Oilers don't get him to work with their players from 9 to 5 Monday through Friday? Most teams don't even have a dedicated skating coach, I'm fairly certain that no team has one that only works with their team and nothing else.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

We already employ a guy that does work with the prospects through the year (it was Ward, then Bucky and was it not Mancini last year?). But I am not so sure there should not be two of them. One for the on ice, game fundamentals, mental side and this kind of guy as well that is all conditioning, technique and physical mechanics.

Old
06-07-2008, 03:34 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
We already employ a guy that does work with the prospects through the year (it was Ward, then Bucky and was it not Mancini last year?). But I am not so sure there should not be two of them. One for the on ice, game fundamentals, mental side and this kind of guy as well that is all conditioning, technique and physical mechanics.
It's been my argument since Katz came along with his money to spend that the easiest way to improve a team under a capped system is to increase coaching and scouting budgets. This is just one of the areas where I think the Oilers could really help their players for relatively little money compared to, for example, UFA signings after they fail to develop their own players. How much could this guy want to be a fulltime Oilers only skating coach? Far less than Stortini makes is my guess and Stortini, for one, could use the help.

Old
06-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

It may be that he does not want to be a full-time employee of the Oilers, believing that he can get a better return on his skill set through a contracted basis. The Oilers may have very well offered him such an opportunity, but he turned it down to stay as his own boss and have freedom to offer his skills to a wider community.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
It's been my argument since Katz came along with his money to spend that the easiest way to improve a team under a capped system is to increase coaching and scouting budgets. This is just one of the areas where I think the Oilers could really help their players for relatively little money compared to, for example, UFA signings after they fail to develop their own players. How much could this guy want to be a fulltime Oilers only skating coach? Far less than Stortini makes is my guess and Stortini, for one, could use the help.
Oh for sure. I agree we also need to beef up our scouting department. Maybe even make a video scouting division (ala Buffalo but that is mainly all they do is video scouting I think) of the scouting staff and we need more eyes in Europe IMO.

I think we may have seen the beginnings of this with us seemingly being more aggressive with NCAA free agents and the like this off-season. I just wonder if the scouts that are already ingrained in our system would resist this like their territories are being infringed upon? That is the only road block I could see to something like this. I recall a Prendergast quote saying he thought they had things nicely covered or something to that effect. As you say we have the money now that we should be a little more diligent in these areas to give us any advantage on the ice we can get.

Old
06-07-2008, 08:35 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Oh for sure. I agree we also need to beef up our scouting department. Maybe even make a video scouting division (ala Buffalo but that is mainly all they do is video scouting I think) of the scouting staff and we need more eyes in Europe IMO.

I think we may have seen the beginnings of this with us seemingly being more aggressive with NCAA free agents and the like this off-season. I just wonder if the scouts that are already ingrained in our system would resist this like their territories are being infringed upon? That is the only road block I could see to something like this. I recall a Prendergast quote saying he thought they had things nicely covered or something to that effect. As you say we have the money now that we should be a little more diligent in these areas to give us any advantage on the ice we can get.
I am waiting to see what Lowe and Daum agree on. Your suggestion sounds like a perfect job for him if breaking down other teams was what he did last year. I recall Lowe said there were things he wanted to do when the right person came along.

Old
06-07-2008, 08:37 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
It may be that he does not want to be a full-time employee of the Oilers, believing that he can get a better return on his skill set through a contracted basis. The Oilers may have very well offered him such an opportunity, but he turned it down to stay as his own boss and have freedom to offer his skills to a wider community.
Could be. I obviously wouldn't know that but an NHL team has a lot of salary money available to it compared to most businesses.

Old
06-08-2008, 04:06 AM
Rin

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he is. Everytime I make a GDT I go through the 'game notes' and it lists like the GM, Coach, Assistant Coaches, then he is listed on that page as the Skating & Skills Coach.

http://oilers.nhl.com/preview/gamenotes859.htm

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote