HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey advice

Old
06-07-2008, 10:25 AM
redman

vCash: 500
Hockey advice

My six year old son started playing ice hockey this past year, and absoultly loves it. We use to have to drag him to other sports, but with hockey he completely fell in love with it the first time he got on the ice, and all he wants to do is play hockey!

Growing up in NE Philly I only played street / roller hockey and can't really help him out much on the ice as I am now just learning to skate!

We now live in Maryland, and the ice rink he plays at has stick and puck nights that we attend. Can anybody recommend a good child friendly video hockey program that we can watch and incorporate the workouts into the stick and puck nights?

Also, can anybody recommend a good hockey camp for kids in the Philly area?

redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 10:44 AM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Check out "The Rink" section of these forums. They have some guys in there who know more than NHL coaches.... I'm sure they could help you out alot.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:07 AM
redman

thank you!

Old
06-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Chainsaw

A great book is "The Hockey Handbook" by Loyd Percival
This book was written a long time ago and was scoffed by North America coaches at the time. It stressed individual skill training. The book was adopted by Russian Coaches and well we all seen what happened there. Good Luck.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:34 AM
flyersfan97

You should ask around at the rink you normally go to. There should be people there that will offer private lessons for your son. It may cost and arm and a leg, but it will really get him to progress quickly, then you can get him on competitive teams where the coaching improves dramatically.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Power skating camps are the best for that age. They teach you how to use the inside and outside edged right, how to take turns correctly and mainly the best balanvce on your skates to get the most power out of each stride.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 02:16 PM
phlacheesesteak

http://www.robbyglantz.com/

check that out and see if they come to your area at all. its a quality camp for skating fundamentals, and good hockey related habits altogether. I enjoyed it when i went, but that was over a decade ago now, i think. haha.

anyway, good luck.

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Power skating camps are the best for that age. They teach you how to use the inside and outside edged right, how to take turns correctly and mainly the best balanvce on your skates to get the most power out of each stride.
Yeah, have to agree with you. Too many kids don't focus enough on skating at a young age.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 03:29 PM
redman

should we be focusing more on skating skills now rather than hockey skills?

Old
06-07-2008, 03:54 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by redman View Post
You can't always teach hands, but if your son has the ability to skate around, through, or out of harms way it'll more than make up for a lack of hands. If he can get to the net quicker than anyone he can pop in the rebounds. Dekeing is nice and all, but skating is what you need to be a good player.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
100% work on skating first. think about it, how do you expect to be able to use your hard shot or your smooth hands if you cant get yourself into a position to get the puck, or if you cant skate well enough to get the puck yourself. Not only that but the reason moves work so well is not always your hands, its the way you sell a move by leaning to one side or another, its the way you cross over while making your move and its that burst of acceleration you use to get by your opponent and leave him behind you.

Hands, shooting and everything else will come after hes a good skater. I have played hockey a long time and at high levels and i am yet to come across a player that is very smooth while skating that cannot control the puck. Some may be better than others but that will come. I have on the other hand played with and against players that lack speed and skating skills but had great hands and a great shot. The ones with great hands and poor skating skills are the ones that stopped playing while the smooth skaters that later developed hands were the ones who had success.

Get him a street hockey net and some cones and let him rollerblade in the driveway. Give him a stick and a ball and have him skate around the cones or pretend the cones are defenders and to try to make a move on each of them before shooting. Kids that young have a great imagination and will have a good time, I used to actually think cones were players and i would make the best move i had to get around them. Get some string and make targets as well. My dad when i was a little kid got 4 cheap frisbees and drilled a little hole on the top of each, then he took a short piece of string for two of them and made tergets that hung about 6 inches down from the crossbar and 6 inches in from the left post and another from the right post. The he took a longer piece of string and had it hang about 4 inches off the ground and 4 inches or so inside each post. You can also make one that hangs 4 inches from the ground in the middle to simulate the five hole. He would come outside with me and shoot at the targets with me, we would play games and see who could hit all 5 targets first. I started doing this when i was about 3 and by the time i was 6 i could hit all 5 target in a row sometimes. To this day i have great hands and great accuracy and I learned most of it off the ice and for FREE.

Skating is something that he needs to be taught, they will teach him how to maintain better balance and make sure he doesnt use extra energy in his stride that will not help him skate faster, they will make his stride the right length for maximum speed. Puck skills and shooting are something kids are going to do on their own. If you give a kid a stick and a puck on the ice you can bet hes going to go out and try to work on his moves and his shot but I bet anything he wont leave the puck and work on his skating. The hands will come and like I said its easy to work on that kind of stuff off the ice first, it may not be exactly the same but it will really help his timing and his hand eye coordination which will translate to the ice.

Old
06-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Yes, I would put an emphasis on skating right now and all through his development. His hands will develop the more he practices, anyway. But skating is the foundation of the sport.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2008, 11:45 PM
redman

WOW! thanks for tips! I know my son will love the target idea! Thank again!

Old
06-08-2008, 02:54 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
WOW! thanks for tips! I know my son will love the target idea! Thank again!
lol, its so fun for the kids but at the same time he will really be learning a lot. If yuo just give a kid a pall and stci he will shoot it into the middle every time and not have fun but you know how kids are, they things like thats very serious. If hes anything like me he will be working his butt of tryng to beat you. Let us know what you decide on and maybe how things went.

Old
06-08-2008, 08:44 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
You really can't practice real ice hockey skating at home, but at home in the summer every day you can go out in the driveway and shoot for 20 minutes, so yes you should focus on skating for now.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 05:07 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlacheesesteak View Post
http://www.robbyglantz.com/

check that out and see if they come to your area at all. its a quality camp for skating fundamentals, and good hockey related habits altogether. I enjoyed it when i went, but that was over a decade ago now, i think. haha.

anyway, good luck.
Going to that camp absolutely destroyed my skating technique.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 05:11 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Going to that camp absolutely destroyed my skating technique.
really? i thought it was pretty good.. why didnt u like it?

when i took it i got a ton of good advice and thought it was def worthwhile.

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 05:27 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlacheesesteak View Post
really? i thought it was pretty good.. why didnt u like it?

when i took it i got a ton of good advice and thought it was def worthwhile.
It's been ages since I was there, so I can't remember for sure, but I feel like one thing was that he tried to completely transform my style in just a few sessions, which obviously isn't enough time. When I then went off on my own everything was just all over the place. In a short camp like that I feel like he should make much smaller changes. I also didn't like how big the camp was. There was very little individual attention.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote