HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What the Habs need MOST!

Old
06-09-2008, 06:38 PM
sampollock

vCash: 500
i say this folks, we can shake the dice all day, and it rolls the same.

a couple of pieces missing to make this team stand out.

i have watched the habs for 35 years.

and the habs have had that superstar figure at some point, right now we are lacking that big stud, that big scorer , that other teams fear.

yes they are hard to find, but at some point we need to land that fish, and make 2 wild lines of scoring....

this team has prided it self, on power, speed, and scoring, we are getting there, but not yet.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Uwey

I'm gonna shift gears here a bit, but it is being mentioned that the Oil may be interested in moving Jarret Stoll. The reason I mention this guy, is because that Dougie Jarvis truly loved this guy when he coached the Bulldogs & Stoll was playing for him.

Now we all know that somehow Bob & Doug are joined at the hip, so depending on the price, I wonder if Stoll might be of interest to the Habs?

He can play the wing as well as center. I don't what his faceoff %is, but I wouldn't be against such a move if we are snubbed once again by FAs.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:08 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
See I don't see it as taking that much.....

1) To me its one big UFA signing.... (Sundin).....
2) The defence is fine IMO..... Bouillion as a 5-6 is not as big a liability as you say... and I liked Bouillion-Gorges last year.... maybe we are on depth D away; or a replacement for streit.
3) I like the three offensive lines Idea, but you already have 5 offensive wingers... and Sundin gives you three offensive centres..... While a Rolston signing would be nice you don't have to get him.... That last spot can be a competition between Grabovski/D'Ago/MaxPac/Stewart/Lapierre/Streit (if resigned)/Chipchura etc.... If Lapierre or Chips win insert Begin on the fourth line....

Your lines look like this

Akost - Plek - Kovy
Higgins - Sundin - Sergei
Latendresse - Koivu - (see point 3)
Kosto - Chips - Lappierre
Extra: Begin + 2nd place in point 3

Markov - Komi
Hammer - O'Byrne
Bouillion - Gorges
Extra: Breezy or Tank

Price
Halak...

Now Rolston could still be a good signing... and its one I actually like a lot, cause i think he has the shot and ability to replace Streit on the point on the first PP unit.
Bouillon is far from being a liability but if we are to improve our D he should be the first to be out. Hes a fan favorite and i understand that but man some people just overrate his value to the team too damn much. As ive said many times, he would be a perfect 7th Dman.

Instead of targeting Sundin, i think we should look for a D in the UFA market. Campbell and Liles ould be great in our system. A good D brings more offense than just Sundin alone for instance. Look at Detroit, with th D they have, their forwards alawys have the puck. That makes any offense look good.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
I beg to differ on the subject of the D.

I was huge supporter of Gorges during training & early in the season, plus I believe he will be a top 4 D-man in this league, but not just yet. Cube, is at best, #7 D-man for the Habs.

There is room for improvement to make this team a true contender next season. We have Markov, Komi & Hammer as the top three. IMO, if we add another experienced D-man, along with the two kids Valentenko & O'Bryne & keep Cube as the 7th D-man, our defense would be solidified for a couple more seasons.

Now there was & is no bigger supporter of growing a team from within than I
, but I also believe we are at the point where there is more than enough future players & that without disrupting the main core, some of the others can be used to make at least a decent, which I would say is needed on D. Example, a prospects like Grabber, who IMO, is extra piece to this puzzle, can be moved on as part of a deal for either the forementioned or to invest into the future as in an upcoming draft pick.

From what I have read, Rolston wants to resign with the Wild, unlike Demitra.
Easy there big fella, if you check our other site...I was and still am for the prospects. heck I was first to say on that board that Plekanec was more then ready to replace someone named ribs lol

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
I'm gonna shift gears here a bit...
Me too. I think the Habs need a team set of these:

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Bouillon is far from being a liability but if we are to improve our D he should be the first to be out. Hes a fan favorite and i understand that but man some people just overrate his value to the team too damn much. As ive said many times, he would be a perfect 7th Dman.

Instead of targeting Sundin, i think we should look for a D in the UFA market. Campbell and Liles ould be great in our system. A good D brings more offense than just Sundin alone for instance. Look at Detroit, with th D they have, their forwards alawys have the puck. That makes any offense look good.
As fantastic as Campbell would be, I really don't see the caproom in the next 2 years to accommodate a free agent defenceman. That money needs to go to Komisarek.

I believe the solution lies in a trade for a cheaper Dman, or even waiting until the deadline.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 06:37 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Yes I hear that they are on sale at Wal-Mart this weekend. Hopefully Gainey gets on his pogo stick (he doesn't drive a car because he is an idiot who doesn't know what he is doing) and goes there. I don't know if he'll be willing to spend that extra 10$ for that big centre that guarantees a cup but hopefully he takes his idiot proof medication.
+1 even if some people here cannot understand sarcasm.

EVERY team needs a big strong tough scoring center. Just like every guy needs a super model nympho for a girlfriend. They just stop growing on trees because of global warming.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:48 AM
sampollock

other teams have them, does not mean bob can't.

if he lands one, i will remind all of these posts.

and i hope we get one, we are all after the same goal, cup!

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:51 AM
nORRis8*

Habs would be better off drafting and developing and staying young.
Looking at a guy like Sundin, a career average player who plays soft is now going to help.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nORRis8 View Post
Looking at a guy like Sundin, a career average player who plays soft is now going to help.

You can't be serious?

06-11-2008, 09:10 PM
nORRis8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
You can't be serious?

What would you call him?
Only once he got over 100 points and that was like his 3rd year in Quebec. Other than that he bounces just below or barely above a point a game in a season. When he tries,he's good. Sadly he coasts alot.
The leaf driven media anointed him as their savior hoping he would lead them to the promised land once Clark and Gilmour left. 10 years later, the leafs have won sniff, Sundin has one trophy to his name {the laughable Messier award} and loads of cash for achieving nothing.

Now hes 38 years old with a blank resume. Nice.

Old
06-11-2008, 10:34 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
[/B]

What would you call him?
Only once he got over 100 points and that was like his 3rd year in Quebec. Other than that he bounces just below or barely above a point a game in a season. When he tries,he's good. Sadly he coasts alot.
The leaf driven media anointed him as their savior hoping he would lead them to the promised land once Clark and Gilmour left. 10 years later, the leafs have won sniff, Sundin has one trophy to his name {the laughable Messier award} and loads of cash for achieving nothing.

Playing with Antropov and other superstars on Toronto he should've won at least 10 Art Ross trophies by now and at least 5 stanley cups. It's laughable how Toronto has surrounded Mats with such great talent over the years and he hasn't led them to anything...

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:24 PM
le_sean

Quote:
[/B]

What would you call him?

On pace to be the 2nd highest scoring European player of all-time with 600+ goals. #1 in points and goals for an Original 6 franchise. Yeah what an awful player.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:56 AM
nORRis8*

Funny how good players let alone great players make make average players better.
Thornton had Samsonov running shotgun on his line. Thornton left and hat happened to Sammy?
Thornton also had Muzz on his other side. How has Muzz done since J-Tho left?

Joe goes to SJ and instantly Cheechoo has a career year. Marleau went nuts.

Sundin has had some decent players play with him, but did they become better? Hardly. Did Mogilny become even better playing with Sundin. Nope.

So what would Sundin do for Montreal? Nada. Hes big but hes soft. He never plays hard in front of the net. Never gets dirty. So if guys want a big physical centreman in a Montreal uniform, why get Sundin? With the Habs I see a very physical team with even their top scoreers contribing, Kovalev and Koivu. How would Sundin fit into the chemistry then?
He's gonna look for about 7-8 million a year and possibly a 2 year deal. Owch!!!! Quite a bit for a guy who's resume says "I've won nothing."

But if some of you guys ant him, hey, whatever floats your boat.

Old
06-12-2008, 09:03 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Funny how good players let alone great players make make average players better.
Thornton had Samsonov running shotgun on his line. Thornton left and hat happened to Sammy?

Sundin has had some decent players play with him, but did they become better? Hardly. Did Mogilny become even better playing with Sundin. Nope.

So what would Sundin do for Montreal? Nada. Hes big but hes soft. He never plays hard in front of the net. Never gets dirty. So if guys want a big physical centreman in a Montreal uniform, why get Sundin? With the Habs I see a very physical team with even their top scoreers contribing, Kovalev and Koivu. How would Sundin fit into the chemistry then?
He's gonna look for about 7-8 million a year and possibly a 2 year deal. Owch!!!! Quite a bit for a guy who's resume says "I've won nothing."

Ever herd of Jonas Hoglund? The guy who scored 8 goals with the Habs, goes to the Leafs and scores 29 while playing with Sundin?

He has won an Olympic gold as the Captain od Sweden.

And Sundin is much more of a physical player than Kovalev.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:47 AM
nORRis8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
Ever herd of Jonas Hoglund? The guy who scored 8 goals with the Habs, goes to the Leafs and scores 29 while playing with Sundin?

He has won an Olympic gold as the Captain od Sweden.

And Sundin is much more of a physical player than Kovalev.
Hoglund???? Didn't realize he became such an All-star playing with Mats.

Winning Olympic Gold is basically a 2 week all-star tournament vs an 82 game schedule and a few months of playoffs. No cpmparison. Big whoop.

And no, Sundin is not even close to the type of physical player Kovalev is. I'm saying this and I'm not even a Habs fan.

Anyways, what do the Habs need? Not much. They need time to develop. Thats all.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-12-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old
06-12-2008, 10:31 AM
le_sean

Quote:

Please don't ****ing compare Joe "No Heart" Thornton to Mats Sundin. If you don't think Mats plays rough I guess you didn't see him battling Komi all last year.

Mogilny had some great numbers playing in Toronto, considering he was older and had injuries. Roberts broke his neck and turned it around playing with him. Steve Thomas too. Sergei Berezin. Add Ponikarovsky and Antropov.

Please in that list find me actual first line wingers Sundin had to play with. One in Mogilny? That's it. Yet he's still going to reach huge plateaus in points.

You should probably watch him play before making ridiculous statements.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:15 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:

Sundin can take a pounding with the best. He battles for the puck and is very strong and fast and skilled and plays with heart. Have you watched him play? Have you seen his backhand going to the net?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 05:22 PM
nORRis8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Please don't ****ing compare Joe "No Heart" Thornton to Mats Sundin. If you don't think Mats plays rough I guess you didn't see him battling Komi all last year.
Ya, what a poor comparison that was.
Son, you need to watch more hockey and less soccer. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Sundin can take a pounding with the best. He battles for the puck and is very strong and fast and skilled and plays with heart. Have you watched him play? Have you seen his backhand going to the net?
Wow. Sounds like Sundin is a power-forward. Who knew? Move over Cam Neely.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-12-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old
06-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Blades 0f Steel

As if it wasn't glaringly obvious...

this kid is just a Bruins troll trying to make us look bad.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=151

Please stop replying to him.

Old
06-12-2008, 05:41 PM
nORRis8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
As if it wasn't glaringly obvious...

this kid is just a Bruins troll trying to make us look bad.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=151

Please stop replying to him.
Thats nice. Great post. But heres a thought...whats it to you?
We're talking about a player that doesn't even play for the Habs or the Bruins.

And as for that post you hi-lited...where did I post that? Oh ya, the Bruins forum.
Thanks troll-police.

Old
06-12-2008, 06:01 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
yeah ! career average player ;

All time NHL Career Leaders and Records for Goals

1. Wayne Gretzky* 894
2. Gordie Howe* 801
3. Brett Hull 741
4. Marcel Dionne* 731
5. Phil Esposito* 717
6. Mike Gartner* 708
7. Mark Messier* 694
8. Steve Yzerman 692
9. Mario Lemieux* 690
10. Luc Robitaille 668
11. Brendan Shanahan 650
12. Jaromir Jagr 646
13. Dave Andreychuk 640
14. Joe Sakic 623
15. Bobby Hull* 610
16. Dino Ciccarelli 608
17. Jari Kurri* 601
18. Mike Bossy* 573
19. Joe Nieuwendyk 564
20. Guy Lafleur* 560
21. John Bucyk* 556
22. Mats Sundin 555

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

And as for that post you hi-lited...where did I post that? Oh ya, the Bruins forum.
Thanks troll-police.
Can you blame me for assuming that? I seriously thought you were pulling our legs by coming here to say the Habs don't need Sundin because he's soft. It's not like you'd be the 1st Bruin poster to pretend to be a Hab homer.

OK I see in your other post you say you're a Bruins fan. I apologize...but it should shed some light on how bad your assessment of Sundin is.

Old
06-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Maxpac

Quote:

Thanks troll-police.
lol, he's even admitted he's nothing else but a troll, nice...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 06:41 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
Hi there, I am a habs fan for 34 years.

And this team needs a big centre, scoring......

At what point will Bob go and find one?

no question, its been our heel for years , did you see Umberger kill us ??????

in tough games, we lack the muscle down the middle. Like I said before if we are relying on #11 to win , you are in trouble. And its not a knock on Koivu ,but he will never do what Umberger did in a series score the big goals .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote