HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

HAJ's 2008 Mock Draft

Old
06-07-2008, 09:59 PM
McDoused

vCash: 500
HAJ's 2008 Mock Draft

Hey everyone, I put a lot of effort into this mock draft. This isn't how I see the future potential but a draft based on who I think each team will select. I would appreciate any suggestions of information!!!

1. TB – Steve Stamkos, C Sarnia (OHL): Stamoks is the BPA and he will be taken first overall. The question is does Stamkos find himself in a different jersey come draft day? Only way I see this happening is if the penguins can't sign Malkin.

2. LA – Drew Doughty, D Guelph (OHL): Has become a leaner more NHL ready defenceman and has the right attitude to play in the NHL. Since he is a hometown boy I could see it being better for marketing and reveunes as well.
Potential Picks: Zach Bogosian

3. ATL – Zach Bogosian, D Peterborough (OHL): Atlanta needs to rebuild their franchise in the worst way. They have a potential franchise goaltender and already a franchise goalscorer but have very little on the backend. If doughty doesn't drop to this spot they will be happy to select the most well rounded defenceman in the draft. Although, Atlanta might be tempted to go off the board and get Filatov to play alongside Kovalchuk.

Potential Picks: Drew Doughty, Nikita Filatov

4. STL – : Alex Pietrangelo, D Niagara (OHL) Being compared to a Chris Pronger mold it will be interesting to see if the blues opt for the BPA in Pietrangelo or the player that best compliments EJ in Luke Schenn. If they want to go BPA I believe that Pietrangelo has the most upside (beside meyers) and is the best asset here.

Potential Picks: Luke Schenn, Mikkel Boedker

5. NYI – Nikita Filatov, C/W CSKA-2 (Russia): Islanders need offence in the worst way and are probably one of the few teams in the top 10 that are desperate enough to pick him considering his potential. They will also be willing to pay him a redonkulous contract and add the extra effort that most teams wouldn't. Snow might want to build from the net out but Schenn probably won't be a franchise player and Pietrangelo doesn't drop this far.

Potential Picks: Alex Pietrangelo

6. CBJ – Luke Schenn, D Kelowna (WHL): Will thrive with the style of game that Columbus has set in place right now and will be able to make the jump. Columbus doesn't need anymore forward prospects and will most likely be picking a dman.

Potential Picks: Tyler Meyers, Alex Pietrangelo

7. TOR – : Cody Hodgson, C Brampton (OHL): Toronto serious lacks in speed and will want to pick Boedker here. However, being a local kid and playing against other teams top lines while still being able to produce is what Toronto needs. Hodgson might not be as flashy as Boedker but he will be a guy that will add some stability within the organization. He also brings leadership that Boedker doesn't bring.

Potential Picks: Mikkel Boedker, Tyler Meyers

8. PHX – Mikkel Boedker, LW Kitchner (OHL): If phoenix can't move up in the draft they will be wanting to add some depth on defence. With some decent prospects that can move the puck they might want a shutdown physical defenceman. However, Boedker is just too good to pass on at this point.

Potential Pick: Tyler Meyers

9. NAS – Colin Wilson, C Boston University (NCAA): Nashville will want to bring in a forward here and will want to add some size in Wilson that could replace arnott a couple years down the road.

Potential Picks: Mikkel Boedker, Kyle Beach

10. VAN - Zach Boychuk, C Lethbridge (WHL): Vancouver needs some help at center for the future but doesn't have a legit centerpeice. Beach would be tempting as he is a local kid but Boychuk has more upside and talent here to build around. Meyers might be tempting because of the death of Luc Bourdon but they draft based on need and not BPA.

11. CHI – Kyle Beach, C/W Everett (WHL): Questionable that Beach will ever become a franchise player and drops this far because of attitude problems but Chicago is looking to add some size down the middle to compliment towes.

Potential Picks: Zach Boychuk, Tyler Meyers

12. ANA – Tyler Myers, D Kelowna (WHL): Burkie will be pissed that his guy (Kyle Beach) was picked one slot ahead of where he wanted him. With pronger having a few more years in him anaheim can take the time to develop Myers.

Potential Picks: Colten Tuebert, Kyle Beach

13. BUF – Michael Del Zotto, D Oshawa (OHL): Del Zotto is an offensive minded defenceman that buffalo is lacking since campbell was moved at the trade deadline. Definitly looking for a dman they pick Del Zotto based on his numbers and upside. Will fit in well as he can move the puck.

Potential Picks: Luca Sbisa, John Carlson

14. CAR – Josh Bailey, C Windsor (OHL): Will be looking for help on the foward position and as a solid #2 behind Eric Staal with some size. Carolina seems like to North American players. Bailey seems like a safe pick and will be a great addition that will thrive behind Staal.

Potential Picks: Joe Colborne, Mattias Tedenby

15. NAS – Mattias Tedenby, C/W HV71 (SWE): Another small gifted forward that can help nashville in a couple years that is fast with soft hands.

Potential Picks: Joe Colborne

16. BOS – Colten Teubert, D Regina (WHL)
17. CGY – Joe Colborne, C (AJHL)
18. OTT – Luca Sbisa, D Lethbridge (WHL)
19. CBJ – Greg Nemisz, C Windsor (OHL)
20. NYR – John Carlson, D Indiana (USHL)
21. NJD – Zac Dalpe, C Penticton (BCHL)
22. EDM – Jordan Eberle, C Regina (WHL)
23. WAS – Colby Robak, D Brandon (WHL)
24. MIN – Jake Gardiner, D Minnetonka (Minn. HS)
25. MTL – Anton Gustafsson, C Frolunda Jr. (Swe. Jr.)
26. BUF – Corey Trivino, C Stouffville (Jr.A)
27. PHI – Tom McCollum, G Guelph (OHL)
28. LA – David Toews, C Shattuck-St (MN-HS)
29. ATL – Yann Sauve, D Saint John (QMJHL)
30. DET – Erik Karlsson, D Vastra Frolunda (SweJE)

Honorable Mentions:
1. Tyler Ennis
2. David Toews
3. Chet Pickard
4. Aaron Ness
5. Mitch Wahl

Last edited by McDoused: 06-08-2008 at 04:30 PM.
McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Normally, I'd say the Leafs have to pick boedker, but since Hodgson is a backyard boy, they might take him instead, after seeing what they missed in Cogliano.

I wouldn't be mad with Gustafsson, but Montreal seems to be the antithesis of Detroit and don't/hardly draft Swedes.

There's a chance, but I see it as a slim one.

Good mock, though.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 02:30 AM
Angelo25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemmersaJemmer View Post
Hey everyone, I put a lot of effort into this mock draft. This isn't how I see the future potential but a draft based on who I think each team will select. I would appreciate any suggestions of information!!!

1. TB – Steve Stamkos, C Sarnia (OHL): Stamoks is the BPA and he will be taken first overall. The question is does Stamkos find himself in a different jersey come draft day? Only way I see this happening is if the penguins can't sign Malkin.

2. LA – Drew Doughty, D Guelph (OHL): Has become a leaner more NHL ready defenceman and has the right attitude to play in the NHL. Since he is a hometown boy I could see it being better for marketing and reveunes as well.

3. ATL – Zach Bogosian, D Peterborough (OHL): Atlanta needs to rebuild their franchise in the worst way. They have a potential franchise goaltender and already a franchise goalscorer but have very little on the backend. If doughty doesn't drop to this spot they will be happy to select the most well rounded defenceman in the draft. Although, Atlanta might be tempted to go off the board and get Filatov to play alongside Kovalchuk.

Potential Picks: Drew Doughty, Nikita Filatov

4. STL – : Alex Pietrangelo, D Niagara (OHL) Being compared to a Chris Pronger mold it will be interesting to see if the blues opt for the BPA in Pietrangelo or the player that best compliments EJ in Luke Schenn. If they want to go BPA I believe that Pietrangelo has the most upside (beside meyers) and is the best asset here.

Potential Picks: Luke Schenn, Mikkel Boedker

5. NYI – Nikita Filatov, C/W CSKA-2 (Russia): Islanders need offence in the worst way and are probably one of the few teams in the top 10 that are desperate enough to pick him considering his potential. They will also be willing to pay him a redonkulous contract and add the extra effort that most teams wouldn't. Snow might want to build from the net out but Schenn probably won't be a franchise player and Pietrangelo doesn't drop this far.

Potential Picks: Alex Pietrangelo

6. CBJ – Luke Schenn, D Kelowna (WHL): Will thrive with the style of game that Columbus has set in place right now and will be able to make the jump. Columbus doesn't need anymore forward prospects and will most likely be picking a dman.

Potential Picks: Tyler Meyers, Alex Pietrangelo

7. TOR – : Cody Hodgson, C Brampton (OHL): Toronto serious lacks in speed and will want to pick Boedker here. However, being a local kid and playing against other teams top lines while still being able to produce is what Toronto needs. Hodgson might not be as flashy as Boedker but he will be a guy that will add some stability within the organization. He also brings leadership that Boedker doesn't bring.

8. PHX – VAN – Mikkel Boedker, LW Kitchner (OHL): If phoenix can't move up in the draft they will be wanting to add some depth on defence. With some decent prospects that can move the puck they might want a shutdown physical defenceman. However, Boedker is just too good to pass on at this point.

Potential Pick: Tyler Meyers

9. NAS – Colin Wilson, C Boston University (NCAA): Nashville will want to bring in a forward here and will want to add some size in Wilson that could replace arnott a couple years down the road.

Potential Picks: Mikkel Boedker, Kyle Beach

10. VAN - Zach Boychuk, C Lethbridge (WHL): Vancouver needs some help at center for the future but doesn't have a legit centerpeice. Beach would be tempting as he is a local kid but Boychuk has more upside and talent here to build around. Meyers might be tempting because of the death of Luc Bourdon but they draft based on need and not BPA.

11. CHI – Kyle Beach, C/W Everett (WHL): Questionable that Beach will ever become a franchise player and drops this far because of attitude problems but Chicago is looking to add some size down the middle to compliment towes.

Potential Picks: Zach Boychuk, Tyler Meyers

12. ANA – Tyler Myers, D Kelowna (WHL): Burkie will be pissed that his guy (Kyle Beach) was picked one slot ahead of where he wanted him. With pronger having a few more years in him anaheim can take the time to develop Myers.

Potential Picks: Colten Tuebert, Kyle Beach

13. BUF – Michael Del Zotto, D Oshawa (OHL): Del Zotto is an offensive minded defenceman that buffalo is lacking since campbell was moved at the trade deadline. Definitly looking for a dman they pick Del Zotto based on his numbers and upside. Will fit in well as he can move the puck.

Potential Picks: Luca Sbisa, John Carlson

14. CAR – Josh Bailey, C Windsor (OHL): Will be looking for help on the foward position and as a solid #2 behind Eric Staal with some size. Carolina seems like to North American players. Bailey seems like a safe pick and will be a great addition that will thrive behind Staal.

Potential Picks: Joe Colborne, Mattias Tedenby

15. NAS – Mattias Tedenby, C/W HV71 (SWE): Another small gifted forward that can help nashville in a couple years that is fast with soft hands.

Potential Picks: Joe Colborne

16. BOS – Colten Teubert, D Regina (WHL)
17. CGY – Joe Colborne, C (AJHL)
18. OTT – Luca Sbisa, D Lethbridge (WHL)
19. CBJ – Greg Nemisz, C Windsor (OHL)
21. NJD – Zac Dalpe, C Penticton (BCHL)
23. WAS – Colby Robak, D Brandon (WHL)
24. MIN – Jake Gardiner, D Minnetonka (Minn. HS)
25. MTL – Anton Gustafsson, C Frolunda Jr. (Swe. Jr.)
26. BUF – Corey Trivino, C Stouffville (Jr.A)
27. PHI – Tom McCollum, G Guelph (OHL)
28. LA – David Toews, C Shattuck-St (MN-HS)
29. ATL – Yann Sauve, D Saint John (QMJHL)
30. DET – Erik Karlsson, D Vastra Frolunda (SweJE)

Honorable Mentions:
1. Tyler Ennis
2. David Toews
3. Chet Pickard
4. Aaron Ness
5. Mitch Wahl

you might want to change this to advoid confusion

Angelo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:48 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
13. BUF Michael Del Zotto, D Oshawa (OHL): Del Zotto is an offensive minded defenceman that buffalo is lacking since campbell was moved at the trade deadline. Definitly looking for a dman they pick Del Zotto based on his numbers and upside. Will fit in well as he can move the puck.
There seems to be debate about the need for a defensemen in Buffalo but I think it is not even close to being their biggest need. The kneejerk reaction is that they lost Campbell therefore they must be desperate for a Dman. However, Sekera has looked nothing short of fantastic. He is the Campbell replacement. Silky smooth, amazingly calm for a rookie, passes very well and pinches in on the play at the right times. Less timid than Brian in the D zone. Brian has more exp and higher end skating, but Sekera is going to be close and I think a more complete version of BC in the long run.

In addition Weber has looked very good as well and seems to be that solid stay at home Dman that has size and grit to go with sound positional play.

Add in Gragnani and TJ Brennan and they are not in as bad of shape on the backend as first glace might suggest.

I think the bigger problem is size and skill at center and depth skill at LW. Roy is solid as a 1/2 center but they have no one, and no one with the size and skill to fill in the other top 2 center spot.

I would say the development of MacArthur and Zagrapan are still in the question mark in terms of where they will end up, and neither is the real big body I think the Sabres need at C.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 09:52 AM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
There seems to be debate about the need for a defensemen in Buffalo but I think it is not even close to being their biggest need. The kneejerk reaction is that they lost Campbell therefore they must be desperate for a Dman. However, Sekera has looked nothing short of fantastic. He is the Campbell replacement. Silky smooth, amazingly calm for a rookie, passes very well and pinches in on the play at the right times. Less timid than Brian in the D zone. Brian has more exp and higher end skating, but Sekera is going to be close and I think a more complete version of BC in the long run.

In addition Weber has looked very good as well and seems to be that solid stay at home Dman that has size and grit to go with sound positional play.

Add in Gragnani and TJ Brennan and they are not in as bad of shape on the backend as first glace might suggest.

I think the bigger problem is size and skill at center and depth skill at LW. Roy is solid as a 1/2 center but they have no one, and no one with the size and skill to fill in the other top 2 center spot.

I would say the development of MacArthur and Zagrapan are still in the question mark in terms of where they will end up, and neither is the real big body I think the Sabres need at C.
While your right that they need some top end forward depth, D depth is still of the most importance. Look at how many D-men went down with injuries the last few years for us. Not to mention the fact we have so many young NHL forwards and about 10 waiting in the wings as it is. D is the first priority IMO. 2 of our 1st 3 picks will be defenseman, possibly even both first rounders.

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 04:31 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo25 View Post
you might want to change this to advoid confusion
Thanks.

Old
06-08-2008, 04:38 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Normally, I'd say the Leafs have to pick boedker, but since Hodgson is a backyard boy, they might take him instead, after seeing what they missed in Cogliano.

I wouldn't be mad with Gustafsson, but Montreal seems to be the antithesis of Detroit and don't/hardly draft Swedes.

There's a chance, but I see it as a slim one.

Good mock, though.
I think that Toronto and Montreal will be 2 of the 5 most interesting teams to watch come draft day. Phoenix, Columbus and Los Angeles being the other 3.

Toronto has a big decision to be made but like I said they will be looking for someone to build a team around. Assuming Doughty, Bogosian and Pietrangelo are all gone I dobut they draft a defenceman. I don't think you can build a team around a guy like Schenn. He is very good but too one demensional at the moment. Myers is still a project and would take too long imo for their organization. Boedker is great but I don't see him having the leadership capabilities that Hodgson has. Boedker is more risky but definitly has more upside imo.

Montreal always goes off the board when selecting players. Honestly, they have enough prospects already and I think they might be wheeling and dealing come trade deadline day to strengthen their team. Perhaps a veteran goaltender (ala Roloson is brought in to back up Price).

Columbus might make a move for a #1 center (ala Marleau) and Los Angeles has like 1,000,000 picks. Phoenix will also be interesting to see if keep with developing kids or they trade for some immidate help.

Old
06-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
When you say "hometown boy" what are you referring to? He has said he likes the Kings....but he is definitely not from LA and has never even lived there.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 04:43 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post

The more I think about it he more I could see Carlson being drafted ahead of Del Zotto. Teams might fall in love with his overall ability and the fact that he is going to london. I just might be too high on Del Zotto. Having said that Buffalo does have 2 picks in the first round and I think that only Bailey and Tedenby come close to fitting their style of game. Tedenby might still be a couple years down the road and Bailey is more of a #2 center (behind Roy) but I think the sabres will address that issue via trades and free agency.

Old
06-08-2008, 04:44 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
When you say "hometown boy" what are you referring to? He has said he likes the Kings....but he is definitely not from LA and has never even lived there.
My bad, he is originally from london but grew up loving the kings as a child.

Old
06-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemmersaJemmer View Post
I think that Toronto and Montreal will be 2 of the 5 most interesting teams to watch come draft day. Phoenix, Columbus and Los Angeles being the other 3.

Toronto has a big decision to be made but like I said they will be looking for someone to build a team around. Assuming Doughty, Bogosian and Pietrangelo are all gone I dobut they draft a defenceman. I don't think you can build a team around a guy like Schenn. He is very good but too one demensional at the moment. Myers is still a project and would take too long imo for their organization. Boedker is great but I don't see him having the leadership capabilities that Hodgson has. Boedker is more risky but definitly has more upside imo.

Montreal always goes off the board when selecting players. Honestly, they have enough prospects already and I think they might be wheeling and dealing come trade deadline day to strengthen their team. Perhaps a veteran goaltender (ala Roloson is brought in to back up Price).

Columbus might make a move for a #1 center (ala Marleau) and Los Angeles has like 1,000,000 picks. Phoenix will also be interesting to see if keep with developing kids or they trade for some immidate help.
Yeah, Schenn would be a great shutdown guy.

A report on RDS a little while ago, said they'd be looking for a veteran goalie, but for Hamilton who could be used as a backup incase of injury. Danis might be let go and Cederic Deslaurier would go to Hamilton as a backup.

I agree that Montreal might trade their first, but I hope it's for 2nds and such. The chance of Roloson is a possibility, but Edmonton would have to give more to get rid of him, cause he's make like 3, or 4 mill, something like that?

Away from the team now, Montreal's forward prospect pool isn't that strong, but the team now has young forwards, but most are projected two-way forwards, like Gustafsson. If I'm not mistaken, he is a big player, or bigish.. 6'3? Good potential and size and could add to a solid defensive forward core, possibly a version of Zetterberg ( I could only hope)

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:56 AM
topshelf20

Ness won't fall past the Wings.

They have already told him that he will be their pick if he falls that far.

topshelf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:21 AM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf20 View Post
Ness won't fall past the Wings.

They have already told him that he will be their pick if he falls that far.
Only reason I had them not picking Ness was because Karlsson was still available. Honestly, Ness has some amazing skill and would fit nicely in the system but he will never be a top pairing defenceman.

Old
02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post

8. PHX – Mikkel Boedker, LW Kitchner (OHL): If phoenix can't move up in the draft they will be wanting to add some depth on defence. With some decent prospects that can move the puck they might want a shutdown physical defenceman. However, Boedker is just too good to pass on at this point.

Looks like I got a few players bang on haha. Just thought it was kinda fun to go back and check out what I thought at the time and see how it help up. Kind of went downhill once trades started happening with the leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Haha I totally also called Myers being available at 12 and that Anaheim wouldn't be to happy with it. I just didn't think that they would have traded away the pick.

I would say that 24/28 is a pretty good track record for the draft since I excluded goaltenders in the first round.

Old
02-13-2010, 08:15 PM
CanuckFAN16

wow man, really good job!
now see how you do for the 2010 draft class!

still happy we picked Hodgson, but man, Tyler myers turned into a gem.. wow

CanuckFAN16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:50 AM
alexanderovechkin8

vCash: 1373
thats good

alexanderovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote