HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: First Look at NHL 09....

Old
06-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Bunka Gurndeep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
so uhm, what kind of information is being released...

The embargo has been lifted so everything the community leaders know about the game (which is a lot more then has been released so far) will be known. There's only one thing still kept a secret

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
True, it actually seems like more work to screw with the game that much doesn't it?

Face it, for EA Sports the PC is not the priority. It's a simple fact of their business, sadly. I'd just give up and buy a console!
I do have an Xbox 360, got it mainly for Rock Band. Thing is I'd rather have a pc version because the community tends to come up with mods and editors that enhance the experience.

Go back to NHL... 04, I think it was? Before it was a direct port. Back then, the interface was made in HTML/javascript, and the community released a whole slew of new screens and interface changes. I remember there was a trade tracker that would build up trade histories, store then in text files and then allow you to view trades going back multiple years, directly within the game's interface (something missing from that game). I also remember they had tweaked the trade offer window to show a lot more info so you didn't blindly press Accept or Refuse when a GM threw you a proposal out of the blue.

Then they came out with a direct port in 05 or so, so you couldn't really make the interface any good anymore. And I don't think you could even use the mouse to navigate it. But at least there was still the user-created roster updates, and Nhlview which kicked all sorts of ass.

And then in 07 they started the new trend of releasing shoddy, underwhelming versions. I actually bought NHL 07 and played it for about 10 days, then I gave up because I was tired of goalies getting about .850 sv% when I played games. And since there was no new feature worthy of the name, NHL 07 was flat-out worse than 06 on pc. They called NHL 07 on Xbox360 "next-gen".

I haven't been keeping up-to-date with 08 because I discovered EHM in the meantime, but it was apparently the same thing (can anyone confirm?). Besides, I was really made about 07 for pc and absolutely had to skip the next game as a consequence.

I think by now we can agree that if they release the same old crap on pc, it has become "old-gen". And I would really like to be able to play the next one, but it can be so much more fun on pc, so why go with console? I'd settle for a port. It wouldn't be as great as 04 as far as community improvements go, but it would at least be better than console.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
I do have an Xbox 360, got it mainly for Rock Band. Thing is I'd rather have a pc version because the community tends to come up with mods and editors that enhance the experience.

Go back to NHL... 04, I think it was? Before it was a direct port. Back then, the interface was made in HTML/javascript, and the community released a whole slew of new screens and interface changes. I remember there was a trade tracker that would build up trade histories, store then in text files and then allow you to view trades going back multiple years, directly within the game's interface (something missing from that game). I also remember they had tweaked the trade offer window to show a lot more info so you didn't blindly press Accept or Refuse when a GM threw you a proposal out of the blue.

Then they came out with a direct port in 05 or so, so you couldn't really make the interface any good anymore. And I don't think you could even use the mouse to navigate it. But at least there was still the user-created roster updates, and Nhlview which kicked all sorts of ass.

And then in 07 they started the new trend of releasing shoddy, underwhelming versions. I actually bought NHL 07 and played it for about 10 days, then I gave up because I was tired of goalies getting about .850 sv% when I played games. And since there was no new feature worthy of the name, NHL 07 was flat-out worse than 06 on pc. They called NHL 07 on Xbox360 "next-gen".

I haven't been keeping up-to-date with 08 because I discovered EHM in the meantime, but it was apparently the same thing (can anyone confirm?). Besides, I was really made about 07 for pc and absolutely had to skip the next game as a consequence.

I think by now we can agree that if they release the same old crap on pc, it has become "old-gen". And I would really like to be able to play the next one, but it can be so much more fun on pc, so why go with console? I'd settle for a port. It wouldn't be as great as 04 as far as community improvements go, but it would at least be better than console.
The sad fact is, the PC sports market is limited and big AAA titles don't sell well. That's why less money (and quality) goes into the PC versions and it's also why EA has discontinued a few of them. I suspect that they're just letting their PC licenses run out.

NHL EHM is also canceled, no future versions, due to rampant piracy and bad sales.

You cannot really (to any great degree) pirate a console game.

NHL 08 for the 360 was spectacular, but you sound like you're more of a manager fan than playing the game. That's unfortunate given what happened with EHM.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Montrealer

The exclusive content is up now at crashthenet... it looks like they're answering a lot of my personal complaints... a lot of nice little improvements to the presentation, and some impressive gameplay ones as well.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:38 PM
ari1160

Quote:
I bought an Xbox 360 precisely for NHL, so I don't mind. Turns out to be a useful console anyway
lol.. i bought an xbox 360 just cause of nhl 07. it looked to sick. cant wait for 09

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:41 PM
ari1160

i was hoping the goalies mask would be the real once that the nhl goalies have it right now but looks like they are not going to do it.
in nhl 07 half of the goalies had their real mask at least. but who cares i'll still buy no matter what.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:46 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I hope the one-handed deking thing isn't a tease.. the goal in the video, it looks like he just lets the puck slide in. I hope this is true, but it'll probably be glitchy like before and you have to actually SHOOT the puck.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Nobak

Quote:
The sad fact is, the PC sports market is limited and big AAA titles don't sell well. That's why less money (and quality) goes into the PC versions and it's also why EA has discontinued a few of them. I suspect that they're just letting their PC licenses run out.

NHL EHM is also canceled, no future versions, due to rampant piracy and bad sales.

You cannot really (to any great degree) pirate a console game.

NHL 08 for the 360 was spectacular, but you sound like you're more of a manager fan than playing the game. That's unfortunate given what happened with EHM.
Lack of marketing probably hurt EHM a lot as well. I mean... the average hockey fan has no clue the series ever existed. Knowledge of the game spread almost exclusively through word of mouth.

I suppose I'll have a look at 09... I'd refuse to buy a console for it, but the console is already sitting there, and I won't have played an actual hockey game via video gaming in two years by the time it comes out.

Have they improved player development any? I looked at how 4 consecutive draft crops from NHL06 (pc) evolved, and found out potential has a really minimal effect on how a player's OVR goes up/ends up.

The rule of thumb I found was disappointingly stupid: whoever started out better ended up better, on average (at least, with maximum upgrades to player development). Players reached their peak in 5 to 7 years (so at 23 to 25 years old...) at which point their overall tended to start going down...

Old
06-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Lack of marketing probably hurt EHM a lot as well. I mean... the average hockey fan has no clue the series ever existed. Knowledge of the game spread almost exclusively through word of mouth.

I suppose I'll have a look at 09... I'd refuse to buy a console for it, but the console is already sitting there, and I won't have played an actual hockey game via video gaming in two years by the time it comes out.

Have they improved player development any? I looked at how 4 consecutive draft crops from NHL06 (pc) evolved, and found out potential has a really minimal effect on how a player's OVR goes up/ends up.

The rule of thumb I found was disappointingly stupid: whoever started out better ended up better, on average (at least, with maximum upgrades to player development). Players reached their peak in 5 to 7 years (so at 23 to 25 years old...) at which point their overall tended to start going down...
Well, honestly, I've never played NHL series for player development. I'd love a good manager game, but I like my manager games and my on-ice games separate. Thus, I still play EHM for manager and NHL for on ice.

I hope they improve that aspect, I truly do, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Their bread and butter is the on ice product.

EHM did have bad marketing, but it also got perfect scores from every gaming publication on the web. It's not all banner ads. It should have sold better than it did. Even EA has not been able to make football (NFL) managers work. Fact is, the market for text based sports games is tiny. The market for text based hockey games is nothing.

Old
06-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Habitants

wow the be a pro feature seems cool! i mihgt finally crack down and get a 360 or PS3 for xmas to play fifa 09 and nhl 09 among other games! cant wait to see it!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:54 AM
neofury*

My friends and I in NHL 08 have a thing called 7 game shootout series'. We go to shoot out mode, pick a team each, and play a game. First to 4 wins. Then the person who won has to keep that team, and the other person has to change team. Then it goes first to 4 series'. Well this one time, within the course of a 20 minute period, I won a shootout where the goalie actually clearly made the save. It showed the replay, goalie (brodeur) gloves the puck CLEARLY and it called it a goal. Then maximum 20 minutes later my friend was going in on me after I scored a goal, it was his final chance to tie it, he goes in dekes my goalie and scores, but no goal was awarded, we see the replay, puck goes STRAIGHT INTO THE NET. NO GOAL. Both times in my favor but we didn't count the shootouts cuz of it. My friend got screwed twice in 20 minutes tho lol.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Magic33

is there anywhere on the habs board where people have listed their xbox live usernames?! i just got live so im excited to play

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Nobak

Quote:
Well, honestly, I've never played NHL series for player development. I'd love a good manager game, but I like my manager games and my on-ice games separate. Thus, I still play EHM for manager and NHL for on ice.
That's a fair point. I'll probably enjoy the NHL series more now that I've played and can still play EHM - after all, I only found out about EHM after I quit on NHL 07, and in so doing found something I'd been looking for in the EASports titles for about 6 years.

Quote:
EHM did have bad marketing, but it also got perfect scores from every gaming publication on the web. It's not all banner ads. It should have sold better than it did. Even EA has not been able to make football (NFL) managers work. Fact is, the market for text based sports games is tiny. The market for text based hockey games is nothing.
I wouldn't actually bet on that, though I wouldn't bet against it either. Sports Interactive is based in London, On, so I'm unsure why they didn't try to get the name out at least in Canada. I think the game could at least have done decent north of the border... but there's no way of knowing that.

I guess maybe I just think there was more untapped latent demand for a hockey sim than there actually was.

It's a shame either way. EHM 07 is great, but I've come to the point where I just follow a routine every year (my draft preparation is especially tedious) so I wish another one was forthcoming.

But all in all, what interests me the most about 09 is Be a Pro. In that mode I won't feel like I'm half-managing, half-playing, so it's all good.
But I better not get traded to Toronto.

Old
06-10-2008, 04:08 PM
dlandry77

I think I might have to buy a PS3. I think the computer will always beat the crap of a console but it seems the PC game is Dead.

The only problem I have is EA sports is so secretive about the PC game. If it is crap, let people know so everyone can buy a PS3 or XBox 360 now. Personally If the PC game was next generation I would never buy either console. I just hate you have to wait till it comes out to see if it is going to be a good game or not. Why can't they just tell everyone now. They know, why can't we.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Lucius

Quote:
That's a fair point. I'll probably enjoy the NHL series more now that I've played and can still play EHM - after all, I only found out about EHM after I quit on NHL 07, and in so doing found something I'd been looking for in the EASports titles for about 6 years.

I wouldn't actually bet on that, though I wouldn't bet against it either. Sports Interactive is based in London, On, so I'm unsure why they didn't try to get the name out at least in Canada. I think the game could at least have done decent north of the border... but there's no way of knowing that.

I guess maybe I just think there was more untapped latent demand for a hockey sim than there actually was.

It's a shame either way. EHM 07 is great, but I've come to the point where I just follow a routine every year (my draft preparation is especially tedious) so I wish another one was forthcoming.

But all in all, what interests me the most about 09 is Be a Pro. In that mode I won't feel like I'm half-managing, half-playing, so it's all good.
But I better not get traded to Toronto.
SI is in London, but their publisher (and this is key here) is SEGA. Admittedly, most a European company now, but they should have been able to get the word out. The game could have been marketed better no doubt, but the market really isn't huge for this kind of game.

I mean, most my male friends like sports and video games. I'm one of only two I can think of that have the brain wiring for a text based manager simulation

It takes a certain type of person!