HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather's views on Jagr and Avery

Old
06-02-2008, 06:17 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Glen Sather's views on Jagr and Avery

Sather plans on having more substantial talks with Jagr and Avery camps when he returns to New York.He was at the draft camp in TO last week and is currently attending the NHL GM meetings in Detroit.

Quote:
Sather reiterated his personal affection for Jagr and desire to re-sign him. But he said he has not been told what Jagr was offered by Avangard-Omsk of the Russian Super League and hasn’t spoken with Jagr since their exit interview on break-up day four weeks ago.

“It’s clear he’s a good player,” Sather said of Jagr. “It’s clear that we like him. And it’s clear that we’d like to have him back also.

“There are so many other free agents that are going to be available. But if you have the option of getting Jaromir the way he played at the end of the year and in the playoffs, he was a pretty dangerous hockey player. And we could wind up with no one.

“So you’ve got to be careful.

“I like him. He’s a good guy. He’s been respectful to me and done whatever I’ve asked him. He’s been very good
.”
Quote:
Clearly, a difference of opinion still exists between what Sather believes Avery is worth and what Avery believes he is worth. As for whether he is concerned that the abrasive Avery could be wearing out his welcome in the Rangers’ dressing room after two seasons, Sather laughed and replied: “The Avery Factor?

“He’s an interesting guy and that’s going to be an interesting one.

“I respect Sean as a player. I think he’s a dynamic asset to any organization. Just to let him go into free agency is a mistake. But on the other hand, you have to make sure that when you sign anybody you’re not making a mistake for the rest of the team.

“I’m going to try to get him signed. But there is a limit
.”
Sean is going have to give up his visions of getting Scott Hartnell $$$ if he wants to stay in Manhattan.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...-gm-meeti.html

Sounds like both players are no better than 50/50 on staying with the Rangers

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 06:22 PM
beastly115

Ultimately, it sounds like it will be Jagr's decision if he wants to come back. Obviously Slats wants him here and the RSL wants him there. It's going to come down to where he'd rather play.

As for Avery, well, he can either lower his price or go play for someone else.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 06:23 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sather plans on having more substantial talks with Jagr and Avery camps when he returns to New York.He was at the draft camp in TO last week and is currently attending the NHL GM meetings in Detroit.

Sean is going have to give up his visions of getting Scott Hartnell $$$ if he wants to stay in Manhattan.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...-gm-meeti.html

Sounds like both players are no better than 50/50 on staying with the Rangers
Sather has to put out remarks like that..if he comes out and says "We will do everything in our power to get him resigned, no matter what the cost" then Avery or Jagr will just play hardball and keep raising what they want.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Sather has to put out remarks like that..if he comes out and says "We will do everything in our power to get him resigned, no matter what the cost" then Avery or Jagr will just play hardball and keep raising what they want.
this is huge.....both players now know that sather wants to sign them and the ball is in their court....now we know if they dont sign it wasnt because sather didnt offer them a fair deal.....im sure sather knows what players are worth as he has been in the league for a long time....i would say 5.5-6 for jagr is fair and 3-3.3 is fair for avery...although that injury might lower his value

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

You can bet that Avery and his agent are asking for $4 mil +....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-02-2008 at 08:58 PM.
wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Then he can gladly go to the Islanders.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
goodbye mr. avery

Old
06-02-2008, 08:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
goodbye mr. avery
You start off high so you can compromise at a higher rate.. If he gets signed it'll probably be between $3.5-3.75 mil

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 08:58 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
You start off high so you can compromise at a higher rate.. If he gets signed it'll probably be between $3.5-3.75 mil
if he will take 3.3...okay...if not for a player who played 60 or so games this season and is a borderline second liner or else he can walk....tucker got that money...he can too

Old
06-02-2008, 09:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I personally don't think Avery is worth 4 mil.

If he were a sure bet for 20+ goals, and to stay healthy, i would say sure, go for it.

But i don't think either of those things will happen.

The way he plays, he is always at risk of getting injured.

And because of that he will not score 20 or more in a season.

If he CAN stay healthy, he could score 20 I'm sure. He did have 18 two years ago.

I love what the guy brings to the team, but there HAS to be a limit, as Sather said.

If he won't come back for 2.5 - 3 mil, forget it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I don't think Avery is worth more than 2.8 per. He's great for about 1/3rd of the games each season, the rest he's either injured or invisible. Then of course he likes to disappear in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I personally don't think Avery is worth 4 mil.

If he were a sure bet for 20+ goals, and to stay healthy, i would say sure, go for it.

But i don't think either of those things will happen.

The way he plays, he is always at risk of getting injured.

And because of that he will not score 20 or more in a season.

If he CAN stay healthy, he could score 20 I'm sure. He did have 18 two years ago.

I love what the guy brings to the team, but there HAS to be a limit, as Sather said.

If he won't come back for 2.5 - 3 mil, forget it.
you said everything i wanted to say

Old
06-02-2008, 09:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think Avery is worth more than 2.8 per. He's great for about 1/3rd of the games each season, the rest he's either injured or invisible. Then of course he likes to disappear in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
i agree with everything although avery did get hurt this year....although he wasnt playing well in the games he played in in the second round, no one did for those games....

Old
06-02-2008, 09:19 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Why do I feel, all of a sudden, that neither Jagr or Avery will be back with the Rangers next season?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:22 PM
True Blue

Quote:
IF that is the market price for a 2nd line winger of his ilk, then that is exactly what Sather should pay for him.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2008, 09:25 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Invisible? Hardly. Look at his numbers in the chronological year that he has spent here. Further, look at the record of the Rangers with him as opposed to without him. How can you even dispute it?

You want a comparison? Take a look at what Malone will get in free agency. That is what Avery should be looking at.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Invisible? Hardly. Look at his numbers in the chronological year that he has spent here. Further, look at the record of the Rangers with him as opposed to without him. How can you even dispute it?

You want a comparison? Take a look at what Malone will get in free agency. That is what Avery should be looking at.
Well, the Rangers record with and without Avery can also be explained just by virtue of having a good player in the lineup versus having that player sit out. He certainly helps the team, but I don't think there's anything mystical about it. He's a good hockey player, and he helps the team a lot when he plays well. But he's not irreplaceable and he's not worth whatever he wants just to keep him. If he walks, the Rangers will find a replacement and move on.

As for comparing him and Malone, Malone generally has better numbers and is increasing his stock by playing well through the entirety of the playoffs. That's going to pump his stock up more than it's worth

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I don't even think he's worth that much, but that's a number I think the team could live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
...look at the record of the Rangers with him as opposed to without him. How can you even dispute it?
It has less to do with Avery and more to do with a non-functional set of forward lines. The fact that he is the make or break forward really illustrates the failures of those around him. If Jagr played all season the way he in the playoffs, or Shanny didn't have one foot into retirement, or Straka could just put one out of 25 quality scoring chances on net, Avery wouldn't be a first liner on this team. He'd be what he really is, a very effective and flexible role player, and would be compensated as such.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 09:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I don't think you can deny that the Rangers were a better team with him in the lineup. They seem to feed off him.

That said, you don't break the bank for a guy like Avery. He's made his off-the-ice interests clear and he seems to only flourish on winning teams. What other situation is going offer him both those situations? I think if Sather makes him a fair offer and negotiates in good faith, he will resign.

06-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I don't even think he's worth that much, but that's a number I think the team could live with.

It has less to do with Avery and more to do with a non-functional set of forward lines. The fact that he is the make or break forward really illustrates the failures of those around him. If Jagr played all season the way he in the playoffs, or Shanny didn't have one foot into retirement, or Straka could just put one out of 25 quality scoring chances on net, Avery wouldn't be a first liner on this team. He'd be what he really is, a very effective and flexible role player, and would be compensated as such.

Exactly. The fact is that when Avery is out of the lineup, we're missing a guy who can shake things up and get under the other teams skin. Avery does that very well obviously, which is a help to our team. However, there are plenty of other agitators/grinders in the league that we could get for less than 4 mil. I think Bourret or Byers could replace what Avery does.

Like it's been said, Avery has made it very clear that he has priorities beyond hockey. Now thats not the kind of player I want on this team, but at the same time, that might help him as much as hurt him. The media LOVES Avery, and in a market like NY, anything a team can do to get media attention (read: The Knicks) is generally a blessing for the higher-ups.

Sather isn't an idiot (most of the time). I can't see him throwing a ton of money at Avery when he knows how many other needs the team has this season. If Avery gets more than 3, I think Slats is going to have to deal some players to clear some cap room.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:08 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
if the guy wants extra money then give him incentives. sign him to a base 2.5 million contract. Give him another .5 if the rangers make the playoffs and another .5 if the rangers make it past the 2nd round....since he always seems to disappear there.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
if the guy wants extra money then give him incentives. sign him to a base 2.5 million contract. Give him another .5 if the rangers make the playoffs and another .5 if the rangers make it past the 2nd round....since he always seems to disappear there.
No incentives on multi-year contracts or for players under 35. It's in the CBA.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:19 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
I don't think you can... only on older players (35+ i think) or ELC's can there be bonuses I believe.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 10:35 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
oh fluffernutter.....well then i doubt Avery is getting anything that he wants.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
If that is the price tag on Avery then that makes the 4.25 that Dustin Penner is making look small.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote