HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Markov?

Old
06-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Paul wins the thread, guys. You can stop posting.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAbbott View Post
It's actually "when the going gets tough, the tough get going"
Yeah, they actually made a song named like that:

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Sthabs

Wasnt Markov replaced by Korneev on the PP?
That s actually more of a proof that he was injured

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 03:59 AM
Philanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Yeah, they actually made a song named like that:

this video has changed my outlook on life

Philanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:46 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
And this is why this dude is on my ignore list.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:40 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
LMAO @ This TOPIC. If we trade Markov (Our Allstar Defender) then we better get someone we will use out of it. but otherwise....ROFLMAO.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:45 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
i would trade markov for a top 3 forward. The center we need.

We have plenty of d-depth. Sign Campbell and we are set.
I like Campbell ok, but not at the $8 million his agent is supposedly looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post

Markov has a NTC doesn't he??? He also clearly stated in interviews he wants to play here or in his home country. He became a canadian citizen because he loves MTL and wants to stay. He is a shy guy that doesn't want to play anywhere else in the NHL. He doesn't want to learn a new system, meet new players and live in another city. It is MTL or RSL. Andrei is also really grateful we gave him the chance to play and time to get at the level he is now. He is a top 10 d-man in this league easily and that is more valuable than a equal forward. His contract is pretty good too...If Timonen got 6.3, imagine Andrei... he could have fetched 7 pretty easily on the free agent market.

This team NEEDS Markov more than we need forwards. Some people should think before posting.
Partial NTC, I think, so he'd at least have some say in where he went, but I agree with everything else you said- it seems as though in Markov we have a guy who really likes Montreal and wants to play here long-term.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
I really have no problem trading him. You better come to me with a serious return, read overpayment though. There's no reasons to trade what this game is all about as far as hockey sense, and transition game. Game of hockey was and is more and more going in that direction so why would you want to be less effective in that department.......unless somebody thinks he's more than a Norris winner and want to overpay, I would listen....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:05 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
I like Campbell ok, but not at the $8 million his agent is supposedly looking for.
Indeed, he is a good dman for sure but nowhere near $8M.

Last edited by beowulf: 06-09-2008 at 10:25 AM.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:25 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Indeed, he is a good dman for sure but nowhere neat $8M.
IMO, Markov > Campbell to begin with, and even more so at 2/3rds of the price.

Besides, Campbell was such a dominant playoff performer this year.

The very premise is ridiculous. All-star number one defensemen are more important to any team than any other player short of a franchise goalie. Yes, even including the mythical big first line center. Markov is the lynchpin of the Habs.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:54 AM
mcphee

All jokes aside, Markov didn't have a great post season. Neither did Komisarek. Hamrlik wore down against Philly, I thought.

I don't like to use the, 'Im older so therefore ' tact, but I often expect a lack of patinence with younger posters because they haven't seen enough full careers to really 'get' how many ups and downs there are. Good years,bad years, it happens.

Plafeur you aren't a young guy though, so I'm surprised. I'm not sure how signing a guy who probably at this moment in Redden, isn't Markov's equal, or Orpik who sure as hell isn't, improves you. You can't trade away high calibre d locked in at a good price. If you replaced Markov with Markov in this year's markey, you'd pay more.

I don't see who would help on offense in a deal, keeping in mind that the team scopred a lot of goals last year. The team needs a solid 3rd line C, and a guy can create offense in a different way than they did last year. It seems a lot simpler to exploe the ufa market for a forward and develop your existing D than to make multiple moves and hope for the best.

Bad management teams over react.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Well, it's perfect to trade Markov, because he's on an epic contract too. 5.75 mill a season if I'm not mistaken. Campbell will more than likely get more...probably a million more. Kubina makes 5mill a year.

So, let's trade Markov for Malkin

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Licou

In my most humble opinion, I think Montreal played somewhat poorly in these playoffs for the only reason that Markov was playing like crap.

From what I have seen, having watched Markov closely from the beggining of his career, he became my favorite Habs player, he did not play like he usually does in the Playoffs, and for a couple weeks at the end of the season. I am pretty confident when I say Markov was injured probably somewhere in his legs and on his left shoulder. He was poorly efficient at separating himself from forecheck, something that he usually does so well, and thus could not properly set up outlet passes. His shot was weak and he never tried and fancy agile moves at the blueline to find some space. Again, something that is not familiar with the play of Andrei

Theses playoffs have proved me that when Markov isn't at the top of his game, the habs are FAR from a 1st seed in the east. The cliche : being the backbone of your team, well Markov defines it... If we traded Markov, we would downgrade the team for a few years, as simple as that... Markov is simple one of the top 5 offensive defensemen in the league while being way above average in his own zone.

I would only trade Markov for such players like Sydney Crosby, Ovechkin or what ever elite forward in the league. Even a guy like Phaneuf, that obviously has a higher trade value than Markov, would actually make our team worse if he would replace Andrei.

We need the offense from our favorite Russian Dman, as simple as that....

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Fido22

I don't think the Habs should trade Markov for offensive help and sign Orpik or Redden to replace him.

I think that would be wrong.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:43 AM
goliath5151

I dont see why any habs fan would want to trade away Markov unless the other team is getting totally fleeced. The team might need more toughness, but they can do that by adding tough forwards or a tough Dman without having to lose Markov.

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:51 AM
BigTimer*

Well his awful PO performance doesnt warrant a trade but it should warrant a kick in the ass. No excuse for him to play as poorly as he did and then turn around and play for Russia. So what if he doesnt get to play in the Olympics, team Russia isnt the one paying his salary and this makes me question Markies integrity.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I really have no problem trading him. You better come to me with a serious return, read overpayment though. There's no reasons to trade what this game is all about as far as hockey sense, and transition game. Game of hockey was and is more and more going in that direction so why would you want to be less effective in that department.......unless somebody thinks he's more than a Norris winner and want to overpay, I would listen....
Same here. There won't be a worthwhile offer, though.

Still, there's an important point raised by the OP. Markov has never proven himself to be a gamer. He just doesn't bring that bellyfire makes otherwise ordinary or good players winners.

But you can't have a team full of guys like that anyway. Some guys have good hockey sense. Others have bravado. It takes all kinds to win.

The key is to find the few guys like that who fit with the team and bring out the best in guys like Markov in situations where they normally wilt. Maybe Komisarek is that guy. I think he was too banged up last playoffs to really know.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Pascal

Markov was obviously injured in the last playoffs. He was slower and kept getting beaten to the puck. There was something missing.

I think he's too proud of a player to blame injuries, and he doesn't want to make excuses for himself.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:21 PM
MaKi
Marschak's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
Playing with Russia in the World Championship confirmed Markov was not seriously hurt and had only himself to blame for his awful play in both Rounds of the playoffs.

If the Habs seriously want to aim for the Cup in 2009, Markov showed he cannot be counted on as a dependable No. 1 defenseman in the playoffs. As the saying goes, “when the going gets rough, the rough get going”. Markov did the exact opposite, putting on a disappearing act when the play got rougher this Spring, which cannot have gone unnoticed by the Habs’ brass…

So we cannot rule out that a wild card scenario has the Habs signing guys like Redden and/or Orpik, then trading Markov for offensive help. Curious what he would fetch?
So basically because he's Russian he was just a ***** in the playoffs and wasn't hurt.
BUT if he was North American he would be a warrior who manage to battle through the pain and play for his country like a true CANADIAN!

Give me a break.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Playing with Russia in the World Championship confirmed Markov was not seriously hurt and had only himself to blame for his awful play in both Rounds of the playoffs.

If the Habs seriously want to aim for the Cup in 2009, Markov showed he cannot be counted on as a dependable No. 1 defenseman in the playoffs. As the saying goes, “when the going gets rough, the rough get going”. Markov did the exact opposite, putting on a disappearing act when the play got rougher this Spring, which cannot have gone unnoticed by the Habs’ brass…

So we cannot rule out that a wild card scenario has the Habs signing guys like Redden and/or Orpik, then trading Markov for offensive help. Curious what he would fetch?
check out this mutha*****

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Corey

Another naive attempt to deconstruct le Canadien. What's next?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:44 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
So basically because he's Russian he was just a ***** in the playoffs and wasn't hurt.
BUT if he was North American he would be a warrior who manage to battle through the pain and play for his country like a true CANADIAN!

Give me a break.
It doesn't matter if hes Canadian, Russian, Welsh, or Tunisian... if you played like **** you played like ****. I call a spade a spade. Markov played like **** and then went off to gallivant around with team Russia.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Not sure why I even bother replaying to this crap, I guess Carey Price Mike Komisarek Chris Higgins Thomas Plekanec are also gone as they had bad nights in the playoffs.

Dumbass!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:03 AM
emb24*

let's package him with higgins and our 25th overall to the leafs for their first rounder. that way we can be perpetually rebuilding.

i mean markov is only a top ten dman in the entire NHL, and those types of players grow on trees.

some fellow hab fans can be downright embarrassing

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote