HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I Hate Stupid Adult League Refs

Old
06-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
I Hate Stupid Adult League Refs

Get this. It comes down between my team and another team with three people who work at the rink on the team. Its a 4-4 tie (thanks to my break out pass for a break away goal ) Anyway. Last 5 minutes left and the ref is calling us on **** we're not even doing. I got a 4 minute minor because I got drilled against the boards and the guys visor came down and cut the bride of his nose. He gets nothing. We are shorthanded all through out the OT period and finally it gets to the shootout. They shot first and missed. I shot second and slid the puck between the goalies legs. next guy scored. we missed. next guy scored. we scored. It took like 7 rounds and we eventually won it.

But the hole point here is stupid refs who favor a team and give them breaks because their buddies are on that team. Any of you have this problem?

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 02:29 AM
MG91

vCash: 500
Dude, you won who gives a ****

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:48 AM
ShowmeHawks

I agree to a point with the original poster. I don't care if the refs are biased one way or another. I do care if they aren't calling things that put the players in danger of injury.

We played against a team with a guy that was checking our guys and not getting called. We lay a hand on the other team and get whistled. I about blew a gasket, and let the refs know what they were missing, still they didn't call anything on the guy. We won, but we wound up losing one of our most potent offensive players, because he got a pulled groin when he got hit by that d-bag. That got us knocked out of the playoffs the NEXT game.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Gino 14

You guys that hate refs so much should just play without them then you won't have anyone to blame for all your game woes. I'm sure that no one who's doing the complaining has ever committed a penalty so there's really no need to have the refs in the first place.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

The beauty of not liking the way the refs operate or the way the league runs is that you don't pay to play next year. Simple as that. You are not getting paid to play, so just pack up your bag and move on. If you do continue to play then you should not *****.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Doctor No
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
Last 5 minutes left and the ref is calling us on **** we're not even doing. I got a 4 minute minor because I got drilled against the boards and the guys visor came down and cut the bride of his nose. He gets nothing.
First of all, we're hearing your side of the story only. I guarantee that the other player would describe it differently.

Second, you make it sound like the refs were out to get you. Assuming that your version of the events is 100% accurate, it's an honest and easy mistake for an official to make. There aren't enouh officials on the ice for them to have a perfect accounting of the events even if they're hustling.

Have you officiated before?

I'll admit, I used to feel the way that you do (not with every ref - or even most refs - but I always thought that one or two refs were trying to conspire against us). But they aren't. And as long as they're hustling and trying to get into good position, I think they had a good game.

The day you play a perfect game, that's the day you can blame the officials for making a mistake.

You won the game. Enjoy it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Did you ever stop and consider that they are reffing men's league hockey for a reason? If they were a great ref they would be in the NHL or AHL, if they were a very good ref they would be in the ECHL or canadian juniors, if they were even a good ref they would be doing low level college, junior B or high level HS or club hockey. These guys are most likely just some guys that are trying to make a couple extra bucks and people have to complain about it. The refs are the same as the level of play in each league, if you dont like the refs in your league, get better and play in a better league where the reffing is better. Do you expect the same guys that are reffing Junior A in your area to be reffing your men's league? And no they dont care who wins the game, they just arent the best refs.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I do hate when refs tilt the ice towards one team, but in my experience they usually call it fairly even. If anything, the team that's acting like a bunch of ***** and whining at every call is only going to get more. Don't piss off the ref and he won't be a dick 9 times out of 10. Of course there are some ass hole refs out there though.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 01:02 PM
ShowmeHawks

Just to clear up my statements above, incase they got misunderstood. The ONLY problem that I have with the refs in my league, is that they don't protect the players. When one of my teammates gets hurt, because they didn't make calls early to set a tempo/level, then I get pissed. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for refs coming and earning a couple extra bucks, but not when they don't even call the very obvious things that will get people hurt.

Not only that, but when the game gets "out of control," we then have the option of protecting ourselves. What do you think that entails? I try to keep my players safe first and foremost. If that means I have to go out and pick a fight, so be it. I'd rather the refs do the protecting, so I can concentrate on actually playing hockey.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:38 PM
predhead1

I agree that most refs don't tend to be biased towards either team, but what does tick me off is when the refs decide not to call ANY penalties against either team.

This frequently happens when your game starts at 10:00pm or later and the refs just want to speed the game along and get the hell outta there. I appreciate they have a crappy job, but no one is forcing them to be there - if you're going to officiate, do it properly.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

He called us for seriously probably 6 penalties. Them? Maybe 2 or 3. It was pathetic. I ref up there for the high school kids and I call anything that slows the pace of the game. Interference and what not. High sticking, boarding and stuff like that. But someone hits another kid and the kids own mask makes him bleed. You dont call the other kid. My neck is still hurts from getting hit. No you don't see everything but when a ref is calling crap to help the other team and its obvious like he was. Its ridiculous. The guys waiting to play after us we're even talking about it.

Old
06-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Heat McManus

I played in a game a few months back and the puck went out of play. Only after about 10 seconds of players on each team screaming, "Blow the ****ing whistle, it's over the boards!!!!!!!!!!!" did the refs stop looking at each other blindly and call it.

Great way to officiate the championship game.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Last night in a game I go to the boards to get the puck and a defender comes near me. The guy comes in with his stick high, and his stick catches me in the throat. I have a huge cut on my throat and nothing was called. I yelled at the ref "His stick hit me in the ****ing throat", and got some ******** answer. Do your job refs. It was an obvious call.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

They go for the extra money. Not because they love the game. I dont get paid to ref. I volunteer. I love the game. I could ref forever and be happy with it. But some guys do it just to get paid and that pisses me off. Because they could care less unless their buds are playing.

Old
06-10-2008, 09:04 AM
stick9

Only Montreal fans are allowed to complain about the officiating after a win.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:42 AM
lemieux32*

In the leagues I play in I understand they aren't the best refs, so all I ask for is knowledge of the rules, consistency and professionalism. This spring I had the same ref try to argue with me about what makes an offside call have a faceoff all the way down in the opposite zone. Finally after the ref clearly did not know the rule, I said, "ok, fine, thanks" and skated to the bench to talk to my teammates in between periods...he follows me over and keeps trying to argue about it. The same ref gives me a penalty in another game after the opposing player loses his stick next to the crease, as he goes behind the net to get the puck I clear the stick out of the crease to the boards claiming I did not give him the chance to pick his stick up (he never even tried to pick it up, skating after the puck immediately). After I went to the box the ref proceeded to talk ***** to me about a mistake I made in a previous game (I yelled at the ref during play about too many men when the other team had the right number).

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 09:49 AM
MeHateHe

Oh look, a thread where someone *****es about refereeing. That's new.

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Doctor No
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
He called us for seriously probably 6 penalties. Them? Maybe 2 or 3. It was pathetic. I ref up there for the high school kids and I call anything that slows the pace of the game. Interference and what not. High sticking, boarding and stuff like that. But someone hits another kid and the kids own mask makes him bleed. You dont call the other kid. My neck is still hurts from getting hit. No you don't see everything but when a ref is calling crap to help the other team and its obvious like he was. Its ridiculous. The guys waiting to play after us we're even talking about it.
Is it possible that, you know, your team actually committed more penalties?

Understand for a minute that you have a very biased point of view in this situation.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:17 AM
lemieux32*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Smith View Post
Wow, thanks for contributing something to the topic. If you don't like it don't read it.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Smith View Post
Oh look, somebody adding absolutely nothing to a thread. That's a novel concept.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Raven25

My sole complaint with rec. league refereeing here is this:

It infuriates me when referees call cross-checks, roughing etc. on defencemen who are doing their job on forwards who are screening the goalie in front of the net - and then retort to complaints with "it's rec league...". *** - so because it's rec league it's okay for my goaltender to be screened and it's okay that we may be scored upon?

Any level of hockey, and completely irrelevant of whether it's "rec." or not, if you go to the front of the net you should expect to get the business full-bore. That's the game and it's totally wrong that referees penalize d-men for doing all they can to abuse the parasite that's screening their goalie.

Really don't understand how you remove that part of the game because it's "rec league" - Don't want to pay the price - Don't stand in front of the net. If you want it you should have to pay for it

Raven25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:33 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

You can't clear someone from the from of the net without using a crosscheck?

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post

It infuriates me when referees call cross-checks, roughing etc. on defencemen who are doing their job on forwards who are screening the goalie in front of the net - and then retort to complaints with "it's rec league...". *** - so because it's rec league it's okay for my goaltender to be screened and it's okay that we may be scored upon?

Any level of hockey, and completely irrelevant of whether it's "rec." or not, if you go to the front of the net you should expect to get the business full-bore. That's the game and it's totally wrong that referees penalize d-men for doing all they can to abuse the parasite that's screening their goalie.

Really don't understand how you remove that part of the game because it's "rec league" - Don't want to pay the price - Don't stand in front of the net. If you want it you should have to pay for it
You don't understand the rules or the point of the game.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:50 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post

Two things.

First, that sort of thing is no longer allowed at the NHL so it's no longer "part of the game".

Second, rec leagues are for recreational purposes. No one is getting paid to play and most everyone has a job to go to the next day. But hey I guess it's ok to abuse someone and have them possibly miss some work as long as it doesn't lower your plus/minus.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Raven25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
You don't understand the rules or the point of the game.
Is that so? What do you base that on?

FWIW - I played Junior B hockey and continue to play high level rec. league to this day. So please explain how I don't understand the rules or "point" (even more perplexing) of the game.

And to the previous post - valid question, but if you've played competitive hockey you will surely agree there are times you are mismatched physically with a player and should be allowed to use means at your disposal to compete. It happens in every level of hockey I have played in (Rep. league from the age of 7 to VIJHL Junior B 18-20) but somehow once you get to rec. leagues it's not an acceptable part of the game.

What - should I just lift his stick when the point shot comes in and hope my goalie sees through the screen?

Raven25 is offline   Reply With Quote