HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I Hate Stupid Adult League Refs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2008, 01:53 PM
  #26
BlackBiRd5
Registered User
 
BlackBiRd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
But hey I guess it's ok to abuse someone and have them possibly miss some work as long as it doesn't lower your plus/minus.
My +/- is the last of my interests let me assure you - I'm only playing for fun just like the next guy, but we all want to compete don't we? I want to win and my teammates want to win. Don't want to "miss work" as you put it? - With all due respect then, think twice about standing in front of my goaltender. I really don't think there's anything of being a ***** by saying that IMO. I'm not some belligerent thug out there - I just want to play the game the way it's meant to be played and banging hard in front of the net is and always has been part of it

Am I wrong?

BlackBiRd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:14 PM
  #27
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
but if you've played competitive hockey you will surely agree there are times you are mismatched physically with a player and should be allowed to use means at your disposal to compete.

The rules are in place to protect others from players with your line of thinking. If you're mismatched, you need to play harder within the rules to stay competitive, not dirtier. It seems you proved the point that you really don't understand the rules of the game.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:19 PM
  #28
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
I was playing in a summer league a couple of years ago.

I play in a high level winter league, but I just wanted to go out and play hockey, not worry about stats ect...

Anyway, first game of the year I go behind our net to pick up the puck and this girl comes in and I turn to protect the puck and chip it up the boards. She falls.

I get 2 minutes for body checking.

So I argue a bit and go to the box. I get out, and the next shift I go and rub the girl out along the boards. Her feet were still moving, as were mine. Clean rub.

I get 2 minutes for roughing.

A few shifts later after I had scored I went and made sure that if I was going to get called I would get called for something worthwhile.

Collided at centre ice with their biggest and best player.

Granted I got another 2 min for bodychecking and kicked out because I had 3 penalties, but that one was worth it.

Turns out, I played against the ref when I was playing Mens and he doesn't like me. At all.

__________________
"I channeled my inner Morneau, took the stick and hit the mother****** to the moooon!"
Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:32 PM
  #29
BlackBiRd5
Registered User
 
BlackBiRd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
It seems you proved the point that you really don't understand the rules of the game.
No, it doesn't. What part of my post where I explain I'm an ex-Junior hockey player with 25 + years of high-level playing experience doesn't dispel that notion?

It seems many of you are making my post out to be much more than I intended. All I'm saying, quite simply, is IN MY OPINION (and we are entitled to that, no?) d-men should not have to compromise their ability to defend the crease vigorously but legally (seems like you all think I'm tomahawking legs, punching, mad cross-checks - I'm not) with pushes, forearms and cross-check pushing to clear the goalies sight-line - because it's "rec league"

A month ago I took a wicked point shot off my chest and it cracked a rib right through my shoulder pad. Did I miss work? no. Did I complain that it's "rec league" and people shouldn't be getting hurt by slapshots? No.

Maybe slap shots should be a penalty too - someone might get hurt

BlackBiRd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 02:43 PM
  #30
weezman
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to weezman
I guess since the NHL is done now and we can't ***** about the Ref's there, we'll move on to *****ing about adult league refs now?



This is the "if you're not with us you're against us" mentality in it's full glory.

weezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:05 PM
  #31
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Other team's player takes his stick and whacks our player's leg and takes him out. Our player gets called for tripping

Eventually the other team's coach admitted it was the wrong call, which was cool of him so we got the PP. Of course the Ref then ****s that up and we lose 30 seconds of our PP.

And yes, I know that refs are far from perfect, and we shouldn't expect them to be, but this guy couldn't get a damn call right. And as for the "what do you expect at this level" comments, I've had very good refs in the past.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:06 PM
  #32
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
 
Bear of Bad News's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
No, it doesn't. What part of my post where I explain I'm an ex-Junior hockey player with 25 + years of high-level playing experience doesn't dispel that notion?
Lots of players with "high-level playing experience" don't understand the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
It seems many of you are making my post out to be much more than I intended. All I'm saying, quite simply, is IN MY OPINION (and we are entitled to that, no?) d-men should not have to compromise their ability to defend the crease vigorously but legally (seems like you all think I'm tomahawking legs, punching, mad cross-checks - I'm not) with pushes, forearms and cross-check pushing to clear the goalies sight-line - because it's "rec league"
Your argument seems to be that we shouldn't attack your opinion because it's your opinion. By that same token, why are you getting so defensive when it comes to hearing other peoples' opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
A month ago I took a wicked point shot off my chest and it cracked a rib right through my shoulder pad. Did I miss work? no. Did I complain that it's "rec league" and people shouldn't be getting hurt by slapshots? No.
Point shots are not penalties in rec leagues. Crosschecking is a penalty in rec leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
Maybe slap shots should be a penalty too - someone might get hurt
Slapshots are not penalties in rec leagues. Crosschecking is a penalty in rec leagues.

You are demonstrating a surprising lack of knowledge regarding the rulebook. More naive people might assume that you're trolling.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:48 PM
  #33
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 10,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
My +/- is the last of my interests let me assure you - I'm only playing for fun just like the next guy, but we all want to compete don't we? I want to win and my teammates want to win. Don't want to "miss work" as you put it? - With all due respect then, think twice about standing in front of my goaltender. I really don't think there's anything of being a ***** by saying that IMO. I'm not some belligerent thug out there - I just want to play the game the way it's meant to be played and banging hard in front of the net is and always has been part of it

Am I wrong?
You shouldn't be working guys over in a rec league, regardless of where it is. Saying you are playing the game the way it was meant to be played doesn't apply to rec league hockey because it's no check.

Let me ask this. Do you feel you are playing within the rules of the league, or are you simply playing the way you think the game should be played?

If you are playing within league rules, then yeah you got hosed. Of you aren't then you deserve a trip to the box.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
  #34
Wooty
Registered User
 
Wooty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Harbor City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,027
vCash: 500
Raven25, the object of the game is to score more goals then other team. Cross checking in front of your goaltender is still cross checking and is illegal.

A slap shot is legal, cross checking is not.
The goaltender stopping a shot is legal, the goaltender slashing the forward is not.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:58 PM
  #35
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
I always did like the Adult League refs..
They would call stupid **** on me... Anytime I'd clear the puck I would shoot it off the glass and shoot it "towards" the ref without actually hitting him. Did it all game and after that, I never got a penalty again

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:49 PM
  #36
BlackBiRd5
Registered User
 
BlackBiRd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
I'm not going to continue this any farther - not that I take any issue with anything any of you have said but rather that it's not worth extending the thread this way. I'm surprised I got the # of responses I did

I'll just summarize by saying this - I'm well aware of the rules and I understand the concept of "rec" league hockey equally as well. I feel, and I'm sure there are many like me who have considerable experience playing the game, that the rec league game would be better IN SOME INSTANCES if referees were to be more lenient with physical play by defenders in front of the net. It makes for good, hard-fought hockey IMO

That's all I'm saying guys - I'm out for now

BlackBiRd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
  #37
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 10,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
My sole complaint with rec. league refereeing here is this:

It infuriates me when referees call cross-checks, roughing etc. on defencemen who are doing their job on forwards who are screening the goalie in front of the net - and then retort to complaints with "it's rec league...". *** - so because it's rec league it's okay for my goaltender to be screened and it's okay that we may be scored upon?

Any level of hockey, and completely irrelevant of whether it's "rec." or not, if you go to the front of the net you should expect to get the business full-bore. That's the game and it's totally wrong that referees penalize d-men for doing all they can to abuse the parasite that's screening their goalie.

Really don't understand how you remove that part of the game because it's "rec league" - Don't want to pay the price - Don't stand in front of the net. If you want it you should have to pay for it
I know exactly what you mean. Most of these things are illegal and get called at most levels of contact hockey and here they go calling it in "rec" league as well.

So where can we take advantage of our physical strength and size when we are not good enough to play in the pro's? What's next? Will they stop us from abusing the children in Father and Son games?

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:21 AM
  #38
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Place stick on the lower back of player, then push hard. Not a cross-check and clears the crease.

Pull shaft back and, yes, cross-check the guy? 2 minutes. No one cares if you played WHL or bantam house league. You play rec now and no one likes a Derian Hatcher wannabe.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:13 AM
  #39
lemieux32*
 
lemieux32*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Sounds like raven read the book on how to try to feel cool on the internet He told us his great experience, he told us how tough he is and now he is trying to take his ball and go home since everyone did not agree with him.

Weezman- If you don't like the thread don't read it and certainly do not respond and bump it back to the top.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:15 AM
  #40
weezman
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to weezman
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32 View Post
Sounds like raven read the book on how to try to feel cool on the internet He told us his great experience, he told us how tough he is and now he is trying to take his ball and go home since everyone did not agree with him.

Weezman- If you don't like the thread don't read it and certainly do not respond and bump it back to the top.
Since you missed it, I'll spell it out for you:
The Ref's aren't on your team. The Ref's aren't on the other team. They don't make calls that favor one team or the other. If you complain to them, they're not going to feel sorry for you. You're an adult, at least I'm making that assumption, deal with adversity and quit complaining.

weezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:39 PM
  #41
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezman View Post
Since you missed it, I'll spell it out for you:
The Ref's aren't on your team. The Ref's aren't on the other team. They don't make calls that favor one team or the other. If you complain to them, they're not going to feel sorry for you. You're an adult, at least I'm making that assumption, deal with adversity and quit complaining.
Haha. I definitely pay good money to join leagues that require me to deal with adversity.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 02:54 PM
  #42
lemieux32*
 
lemieux32*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezman View Post
Since you missed it, I'll spell it out for you:
The Ref's aren't on your team. The Ref's aren't on the other team. They don't make calls that favor one team or the other. If you complain to them, they're not going to feel sorry for you. You're an adult, at least I'm making that assumption, deal with adversity and quit complaining.
I also assume you are an adult...in which case be mature enough to not open a thread discussing refs only to whine about people complaining about refs. All you are doing is trolling.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:06 PM
  #43
jiggs 10
Registered User
 
jiggs 10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hockeytown, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 3,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
My sole complaint with rec. league refereeing here is this:

It infuriates me when referees call cross-checks, roughing etc. on defencemen who are doing their job on forwards who are screening the goalie in front of the net - and then retort to complaints with "it's rec league...". *** - so because it's rec league it's okay for my goaltender to be screened and it's okay that we may be scored upon?

Any level of hockey, and completely irrelevant of whether it's "rec." or not, if you go to the front of the net you should expect to get the business full-bore. That's the game and it's totally wrong that referees penalize d-men for doing all they can to abuse the parasite that's screening their goalie.

Really don't understand how you remove that part of the game because it's "rec league" - Don't want to pay the price - Don't stand in front of the net. If you want it you should have to pay for it
Maybe because in most rec leagues, it's against the rules to cross-check anyone at any time? Maybe it isn't in the league you play in, but it is also part of the game to screen the goalie, so if your poor goalie is getting screened, well, tough crap, it's part of the game! And I know what happens to jerk defensemen who "give me the business" in front of the net...if the ref doesn't call it, he's going to get a stick in the face. Simple as that, you want to play cheap and dirty against the rules, I'll do the same back to you.

Now, on topic...my rec league is terrible with refs, too. They are mostly there just to help out, but they are scared to call anything against one of their friends (who's feelings might get hurt or something!), and they don't even call offsides most of the time! I'd rather play a rental without a ref, at least then everyone shows sportsmanship and goes back onside on their own. Many games seem one-sided on the calls (which is strange, because my team is a bunch of 40-somethings who are extremely clean players), but again i feel it is because the refs are 22-year-old kids who are afraid of cheesing off anyone in the league, so they don't call ANYTHING. Wrong way to do it, guys. You'll get respect faster by making the tough calls against everyone than by not calling anything.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:16 AM
  #44
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
Place stick on the lower back of player, then push hard. Not a cross-check and clears the crease.
....

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:24 AM
  #45
Stripes
Registered User
 
Stripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
He called us for seriously probably 6 penalties. Them? Maybe 2 or 3. It was pathetic. I ref up there for the high school kids and I call anything that slows the pace of the game. Interference and what not. High sticking, boarding and stuff like that. But someone hits another kid and the kids own mask makes him bleed. You dont call the other kid. My neck is still hurts from getting hit. No you don't see everything but when a ref is calling crap to help the other team and its obvious like he was. Its ridiculous. The guys waiting to play after us we're even talking about it.
I'm guessing you never bothered to ask the referee (after your penalty was over) how he saw the play happen. I've officiated many games over 10 years, and there have been a few times where a supervisor told me I made a few BS calls. One of those was a high sticking penalty where both players in with their sticks up. From my angle, one player hit the other with his stick, but my supervisor confirmed to me after the game that the player who got hit did it to himself.

Hockey is a game of angles. What you see depends on where you see it from. Referees in rec leagues have no reason to be bias. Where is the money they would get for doing such a thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
My sole complaint with rec. league refereeing here is this:

It infuriates me when referees call cross-checks, roughing etc. on defencemen who are doing their job on forwards who are screening the goalie in front of the net - and then retort to complaints with "it's rec league...". *** - so because it's rec league it's okay for my goaltender to be screened and it's okay that we may be scored upon?

Any level of hockey, and completely irrelevant of whether it's "rec." or not, if you go to the front of the net you should expect to get the business full-bore. That's the game and it's totally wrong that referees penalize d-men for doing all they can to abuse the parasite that's screening their goalie.

Really don't understand how you remove that part of the game because it's "rec league" - Don't want to pay the price - Don't stand in front of the net. If you want it you should have to pay for it
Last I checked, cross checking is a penalty. Roughing is a penalty. You can battle for position in front of the net, but where in the rulebook does it say you have open season to do anything you want to an opponent in front of your net?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
My +/- is the last of my interests let me assure you - I'm only playing for fun just like the next guy, but we all want to compete don't we? I want to win and my teammates want to win. Don't want to "miss work" as you put it? - With all due respect then, think twice about standing in front of my goaltender. I really don't think there's anything of being a ***** by saying that IMO. I'm not some belligerent thug out there - I just want to play the game the way it's meant to be played and banging hard in front of the net is and always has been part of it

Am I wrong?
Yes you are wrong. Recreational leagues are just that... recreational. If I go in front of the net with you, and you put me out of work with a cross check or any other method of injuring me with rough play, I am charging you with assault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
Maybe slap shots should be a penalty too - someone might get hurt
There are some rec leagues out there where it is a penalty to raise your stick above your waist. Be happy you don't play in one of those leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
I always did like the Adult League refs..
They would call stupid **** on me... Anytime I'd clear the puck I would shoot it off the glass and shoot it "towards" the ref without actually hitting him. Did it all game and after that, I never got a penalty again
That ref doesn't know his job. If you did that to me, you wouldn't be finishing the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
Place stick on the lower back of player, then push hard. Not a cross-check and clears the crease.
As long as you have the motion with both hands on your stick, it is cross-checking. It doesn't have to be an actual strike IE: bat hitting ball. Also, under Hockey Canada's new standard (going into the 3rd season of it), all stick fouls in front of the net are to be penalized with strict enforcement.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:55 AM
  #46
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
You're right if we're talking about the reffing in amateur leagues. But in rec leagues, pushing a player with a stick is usually still allowed within reason.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 06:55 AM
  #47
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25 View Post
No, it doesn't. What part of my post where I explain I'm an ex-Junior hockey player with 25 + years of high-level playing experience doesn't dispel that notion?
Why is it that someone with that type of experience is playing rec league hockey? It always seems these era the players that feel they're entitled to special rules and treatment.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 07:00 AM
  #48
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin
I always did like the Adult League refs..
They would call stupid **** on me... Anytime I'd clear the puck I would shoot it off the glass and shoot it "towards" the ref without actually hitting him. Did it all game and after that, I never got a penalty again
That ref doesn't know his job. If you did that to me, you wouldn't be finishing the game.

I agree with Stripes. After the first shot, I'd look to see if it was intentional, after a second, you'd be out with a match.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 07:54 AM
  #49
lemieux32*
 
lemieux32*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Why is it that someone with that type of experience is playing rec league hockey? It always seems these era the players that feel they're entitled to special rules and treatment.
Actually the real question is why does the guy who gets ripped for something he said that was dumb always come back with a response touting his "high level" career.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:34 AM
  #50
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
I've had quite a few refs call games that are just horrible, my all time fav though was the Guy who would smoke while the game was going on, & he barly moved around & hung around the bench area most of the games so you're sucking area & getting a lung full of second hand smoke, & if you asked him to stop or God forbid complained it was all over, every call was not going our way.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.