HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any hope for Perezhogin?

Old
06-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Any hope for Perezhogin?

just want to get a feel for the opinions on alex perezhogin...

he's back in russia... was a major disappointment in the end of his first stint in north america. hab fans... you guys still holding out hope that he becomes an impact or semi-impactful nhl player?

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 04:53 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
This question seems to be brought up every couple of weeks. Do a search and you will what I mean. I, and many here, do not see him as a major disappointment and while I would love to see him back here, not holding my breath.

Last edited by beowulf: 06-09-2008 at 06:10 AM.
beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:07 AM
Squeaky

Perez signed a big contract to play in Russia. I think he probably could become a reasonably productive top-6 forward in the NHL, but I also don't think anyone is going to shell out the cash it would take to get him back over here.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:32 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Do a search and you will what I mean.
I agree.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:33 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
I agree.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalalahockey View Post

he's back in russia... was a major disappointment in the end of his first stint in north america. hab fans... you guys still holding out hope that he becomes an impact or semi-impactful nhl player?
I'm not a big Perezhogin fan, but even I would never say he "was a major disappointment". He actually looked pretty good and looked like he was on track to becoming at least a semi-productive NHLer. He had established himself as a guy who clearly deserved a regular shift in the league, at least. It was more of a disappointment that he left to go to Russia, if anything.

He would be a semi-impactful NHL player if he ever came back. I don't hold out much hope that he will, though. The current economic situation makes it pretty much impossible for any NHL team to match his Russian paycheque.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Maitz
Chucky#27

The only thing I remember of Perezhogin is his highlight goal against the Leafs

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:07 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Perez signed a big contract to play in Russia. I think he probably could become a reasonably productive top-6 forward in the NHL, but I also don't think anyone is going to shell out the cash it would take to get him back over here.
+1. I think he should have been given a shot playing on a second line (maybe he was, that season seems so long ago now, but I remember him playing mostly on the third line with Bonk and Johnson) but I also think Carbo had a problem with the number of hooking/tripping/holding-type penalties he took and wasn't inclined to reward that with a promotion, so to speak.

I liked the guy, and was disappointed to lose him, but if he wants the kind of money I suspect he'd want to come back, no thanks.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
you guys still holding out hope that he becomes an impact or semi-impactful nhl player?
I'm still holding out hope that i never see yet AGAIN a thread about a player that wasnt that good and that abandonned his team.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalalahockey View Post

There's no need to hold out hope for him. We don't really need him persay. I like him more then most and was disappointed because I saw him play a good bit in the RSL and the AHL and thought he looked to be very skilled but in the NHL he struggled to produce offense and just didnt' look comfortable out there. that said, he had a good year in the RSL again, so it will be interesting to see what happens to him when his contract is up next summer as the Habs still own his rights. I don't expect to ever see him in the NHL again as he is making good money playing at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I'm still holding out hope that i never see yet AGAIN a thread about a player that wasnt that good and that abandonned his team.
So if your making a certain amount of money at your current job, and a rival company offers you say triple your salary, you wouldn't consider it?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
So if your making a certain amount of money at your current job, and a rival company offers you say triple your salary, you wouldn't consider it?
Especially if you currently work in say China and don't speak the language very well and can come back to Quebec.....not many people would say no to that.

Old
06-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I would argue that he was pushed out of the team, he had declined RSL offers the year before Carbo took over because he said he wanted to prove himself in the NHL. Sadly for him, he became Carbo's scapegoat, got treated very badly from the organization, and decided he didn't want to deal with it anymore and left.

He's never coming back, even if he wanted to play in the NHL for less money, he'd probably get another RSL contract until becoming UFA and go to another NHL team.

It sucks to lose one of the most talented players in the organization, but theres' no use crying over spilled milk, all you can do is learn your lesson and hope you don't make the same mistake with another talented Russian player. (can we sign Grobovski already ?)

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 08:30 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
The main thing I remember about him was that he missed the net with a slapshot during a shootout. I believe it was during a game against Nashville in February 2007. To me, that shows how indifferent he was about playing for Montreal, because we all saw that the guy had some talent. He likely thought he deserved to be playing regularly on one of the top 2 lines. While he was on the 3rd/checking line, he did prove to be effective at times, when he used his speed on the forecheck to put pressure on the team's defence. However, he didn't seem to capitalize often enough when he was in more offensive situations.

One of the benefits of him leaving was that it paved the way for other youngsters like Andrei Kostitsyn to move up on the depth charts, and we would all agree that has provided bigger dividends for the Habs. As some like to say, it was an addition by subtraction move for the Habs when Perezhogin did not return.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 09:12 AM
mcphee

I didn't really think he was a disapointment. I never had a feel as to what kind of player he would end up as though. He didn't move the puck well enough, a la one of the Kost.'s, or play hard on the puck like a Higgins, he showed some flashes but didn't sustain.

I don't know if Carbo never liked him, never saw a place for him, but we reead too much into 1 year. Perezhogin got a nice offer, he didn't leave in shame, do anything back handed, just did what people do, take the best offer on the table.

I'm sure he'd be welcomed back, but it wouldn't make sense to get into a bidding war.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I just want to him to come back so that Michel Lacroix can be heard going up for air in the middle of saying his rather extended name.

A-LE-XAN-DER......PE-RE-JO-GINN!!!

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Jakomyte

Would we even have room for him?

Andrei-Plekanec-Kovalev
Latendresse-Koivu-UFA
Higgins-Chipchura-Sergei
Begin-Lapierre-Kostopolous
Dandenault

...unless we don't fill that UFA spot, I don't think we have the space. Its too bad because I think Perezhogin would fit better with the team we have now than the one we had 2 years ago.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
...unless we don't fill that UFA spot, I don't think we have the space. Its too bad because I think Perezhogin would fit better with the team we have now than the one we had 2 years ago.
I could find room

Akost - Pleks - Kovalev
Higgins - Sundin - SKost
Latendresse - Koivu - Perezhogin
Kostopolous - Chipchura - Lapierre
Extra: Begin, Grabovski/Stewart/Dago (competition)

Buyout: Dandenault....

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 11:32 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I could find room

Akost - Pleks - Kovalev
Higgins - Sundin - SKost

That would be a pretty nice lineup.

Old
06-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I could find room

Akost - Pleks - Kovalev
Higgins - Sundin - SKost

Lol... i guess if you want to take one of Kostopolous or Begin out of the top 12 you could do that. I actually like your proposed lineup, but I wonder if Carbonneau would be willing to sit so many grinders.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:05 PM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Lol... i guess if you want to take one of Kostopolous or Begin out of the top 12 you could do that. I actually like your proposed lineup, but I wonder if Carbonneau would be willing to sit so many grinders.
Probably not, unfortunately.

Anyway, this season made me forget Perezhogin. I still believe he would've complemented the line-up well had he decided to stay, but with the contract offer given by Salavat and the incentives of being able to play somewhere close to your home country (he's Kazakh, right?)... I'd have a hard time saying no, as well.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If I'm not mistaken Alex is making 2 mill tax free, which to get here and would be fair is like 3? i'm sure it's probably less, but that's probably what he'd want. I think it's best to trade him rights to a team that has cap room

See if we can land a 2nd for THIS draft.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:48 PM
OneSharpMarble

Lots of potential, too bad he was placed on the checking line and scapegoated for Carbos inadequacies. I don't think he will be back, we have too many Euros on the team as it is.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Lots of potential, too bad he was placed on the checking line and scapegoated for Carbos inadequacies. I don't think he will be back, we have too many Euros on the team as it is.
Say what you want, and criticize him as you will; talk about hooking, not living up to potential, money, etc.... but refusing to take him back just cause he's Euro and we have to many is not a good reason. Did Detroit have too many Euros.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 05:53 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I didn't really think he was a disapointment. I never had a feel as to what kind of player he would end up as though. He didn't move the puck well enough, a la one of the Kost.'s, or play hard on the puck like a Higgins, he showed some flashes but didn't sustain.

I don't know if Carbo never liked him, never saw a place for him, but we reead too much into 1 year. Perezhogin got a nice offer, he didn't leave in shame, do anything back handed, just did what people do, take the best offer on the table.

I'm sure he'd be welcomed back, but it wouldn't make sense to get into a bidding war.
Excellent post.

People here tend to over-rated (in some cases, grossly) the young players Montreal has. A few years down the line, they usually turn on them (a la Michael Ryder) then focus their energy on the new Next Big Thing.

Perezoghin - who did very little to earn his heady praise - left the Canadiens while he was still a young player in that honeymoon stage, and now he will be forever the one that got away around here.

Too bad the perception doesn't match the reality.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Uwey

IMO, find out if he is willing to come back to the league if he were traded, if he agrees let his agent work out deal with another team & ask said team for a pick in next years draft.

Nothing lost, nothing gained for the time being & we gain an investment for the future. Gotta keep the cupboard stocked.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote