HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Official Euro 2008 Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2008, 04:57 PM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
because he gets the results he is looking for, I think that is pretty important, there was nothing he could have done better.
Not losing any games he coached.....
He could not have done any better than 2 draws and only won goal scored? Wow.

Old
06-13-2008, 04:57 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
The question is not if he is a good or bad coach, the question is:
Why is he a better coach than Domenech? or Donadoni?
in the group of death, so far, he is ahead France and Italy, the results count

Old
06-13-2008, 04:59 PM
gusfring

Quote:
ignore list
The truth hurts, I guess. Is he a better coach than Scolari or Marcello Lippi because his record over two years is good and his only loss is a meaningless one (so you say)?

Ask any objective soccer pundit who the better manager is Domenech or Piturca? Seriously.

Old
06-13-2008, 04:59 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino82 View Post
He tried on Monday and the entire world saw that it didn't work. Will he try again?

Seriously, like all the football fans here, I'm really eager for Tuesday's matches....
One way I'm looking at it is that the Dutch have got three teams' destinies in their hands right now.

Old
06-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Brisk-Illusion

In all seriousness, wouldn't it be a good plan for Holland to throw the game and eliminate both France and more importantly notoriously slow-starers, Italy ?

Not only do you qualify, but you also eliminate two of the strongest teams in the tournament, and allow a weak one to go thru.

With a semi-final birth one game away, wouldn't it be stupid to risk facing Italy, that team that has a history of beating you in critical games? Want to re-live euro 2000 ?

Old
06-13-2008, 05:04 PM
gusfring

Quote:
in the group of death, so far, he is ahead France and Italy, the results count
Right and in the World Cup Domenech beat Spain, Brazil, and Portugal on his way to the final. History counts as well and clearly Domenech has the pedigree and better RESULTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
In all seriousness, wouldn't it be a good plan for Holland to throw the game and eliminate both France and more importantly notoriously slow-starers, Italy ?

Not only do you qualify, but you also eliminate two of the strongest teams in the tournament, and allow a weak one to go thru.

With a semi-final birth one game away, wouldn't it be stupid to risk facing Italy, that team that has a history of beating you in critical games? Want to re-live euro 2000 ?
Van Basten would never do this. Plus if Italy or France finish 2nd, Spain will beat them both.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-13-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old
06-13-2008, 05:10 PM
guest1467

Quote:

Why would the Netherlands be scared of these teams? They just beat them 3-0 and 4-1. I don't think they really care.

Old
06-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Kriss E

Netherland is my team, but they can't get cocky if they do face either team again.

Old
06-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Kachino

Tomorrow: Spain vs Sweden....
Sunday: Czech vs Turkey
Monday: Germany vs Austria
Tuesday: Italy vs France & Netherlands vs Romania..

NICE!!!!

Old
06-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Van Basten would never do this. Plus if Italy or France finish 2nd, Spain will beat them both.
Why take a chance ?

Anyways, Italy would have a ton of momentum from qualifying from the dead going into that game, and would probably be favorite against the perennial under-achievers Spain

An Italy-Holland rematch would be a whole different game, and a much tougher one than Holland-Spain.

Holland winning their next game would just make their life harder for themselves

Old
06-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
yeah the Romanian mafia paid the refs

It doesn't take Romanians to fix a game.... just someone with an interest in betting.... or an interest in seeing the italians lose...

Old
06-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
You don't watch football very often do you ?

Be honest how many games a year do you watch ?
In a non World Cup year.... at least 30-40.... in a world cup/euro cup year... 50-60....

I watch my fair share of Champions League, Serie A, TFC, EPL, and whatever else is on when I'm bored....

Tell me what this has to do with Toni being onside or not, cause he was clearly onside....

Old
06-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Tell me what this has to do with Toni being onside or not, cause he was clearly onside....
The assistant ref couldn't predict where the ball would have landed and since the ball was hit in the direction of a player who was offside (not tony but the other italian) the assistant lifted the flag.

Old
06-13-2008, 06:59 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
It doesn't take Romanians to fix a game.... just someone with an interest in betting.... or an interest in seeing the italians lose...
Lots of people would've liked an Italian loss

Old
06-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Travis Moen

I would happily contribute $50 to see both France and Italy out

Old
06-13-2008, 07:03 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
I would happily contribute $50 to see both France and Italy out
I'd pay max 5$. Yeah, I'm a poor student.

Old
06-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Where do you think Romania gets the money from ? Seriously, I mean if Italy or Germany or another rich country got bad calls, I could understand the idea of some sort of conspiracy. But Romania ?
Just stop with your ignorant bigotry

Old
06-13-2008, 08:16 PM
gusfring

Quote:
The assistant ref couldn't predict where the ball would have landed and since the ball was hit in the direction of a player who was offside (not tony but the other italian) the assistant lifted the flag.
It's called the passive offside/onside rule. Look into it.

Old
06-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Guy Caballero

Wow. Italy got punked big time. Not much you can do when the refs are granting illegal goals against you and taking legit ones away from you. This is soccer, after all. One goal this way or that is pretty much the game. Good on Italy for fighting through it and at least salvaging the draw to stay alive.

Romania hasn't impressed me at all. They're a bunch of ham-n-eggers who play not to lose, as we saw with their pathetic 30% possession rate.

Netherlands and Portugal look deadly. This will be the final, IMO. I think Italy will beat France but bow out to Spain.

Old
06-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Habnot

Quote:
It's pathetic the hate spouted on this board by so called soccer fans. It seems Euro's and WC's are a perfect venue to spew all the intolerance and bigotry. This started as a fun thread but quickly degenerated to an ugly display of civility.

Objectivity needs to be part of the discourse. All the anti-Azzurri were quick to point out rule whatever to validate the Dutch goal. The ruling was harsh to Italy, but so be it, it was an interpretation and we live with it.

Today, Toni scores a valid goal by every account. Still the same hate filled individuals cannot see past the bigotry. We can be fans of a team and still remain objective.

Beak - I would be more than happy if you lock and delete this and further Euro threads.

Old
06-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:

I dont think that the italian guy who was offside was "passive". IMO, he was actively involved in the action and the romanian keeper had to keep an eye on him.

Old
06-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Beak - I would be more than happy if you lock and delete this and further Euro threads.
It's pathetic, but I see no reason for a lock. I can take it. As a Habs fan and an Italy fan living in Toronto, I spend pretty much every day defending against haters, and I just laugh at it, because I know the cause is usually jealousy and resentment at the passion of our fans.

Old
06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Objectivity needs to be part of the discourse. All the anti-Azzurri were quick to point out rule whatever to validate the Dutch goal. The ruling was harsh to Italy, but so be it, it was an interpretation and we live with it.
I hate Italy and I think that the dutch goal was offside even if the rule might be interpreted otherwise...

Quote:
Com'on... If you can't take it, don't read these threads and stop crying like a baby...

Old
06-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I dont think that the italian guy who was offside was "passive". IMO, he was actively involved in the action and the romanian keeper had to keep an eye on him.
Please... that interpretation is really drawing at straws to nullify what should by the accounts of almost all unbiased "expert" observers (ie nearly every media account ive seen) a legal goal....

Its really a tough argument you are making...

Old
06-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Travis Moen

Quote:
Please... that interpretation is really drawing at straws to nullify what should by the accounts of almost all unbiased "expert" observers (ie nearly every media account ive seen) a legal goal....

Its really a tough argument you are making...
Maybe. I don't even know why I'm arguing with this decision. Anyway, the fact that it was a bad decision against Italy makes it sweeter for me

Closed Thread