HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Official Euro 2008 Thread II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2008, 12:19 PM
  #926
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
What the hell was that? Not letting Ljunberg back onto the pitch?

habfan4 is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 12:20 PM
  #927
Brisk-Illusion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
News for the Romanian squad:

Mirel Radoi-out of the tournament
Goian-out one game (2 yellow cards); undeserved 2 yellow card
Marica-fit for the game against Holland ....really good news


Him and Mutu have been dynamite thought qualifications, this news more than cancels out Goian's absence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Just stop with your ignorant bigotry


PC has gotten to the point where you can't make fun of your own home country without someone calling you an ignorant bigot


Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-15-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Brisk-Illusion is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 12:33 PM
  #928
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
In response to the quote above, and many others who share the same sentiments, I would like to place the shoe on another foot. A little event happened in Salt Lake City in 02. Jamie Sale and David Peltier were denied a legitimate Gold medal by incompetent officiating. The whole country was up in arms over the result. They should have meekly accepted the fate of the officiating because that is what they deserved. A few days latter in the women's gold medal hockey game the officiating was utterly biased in favour of the Americans. Stacey Livingston called Canada on 10 penalties while the Americans had a token 2. Canada barely won 3-2. Do you think Canadians would be content with the result if Canada lost? No. BTW, us Habfans should no longer complain about anything that happens on the ice in the regular season or playoffs .
The Sale/Pelltier thing wasn't incompetent officating- it was, and still is, thought by most people in figure skating to have been fixed. The French judge in the pairs event had agreed to put the Russian pair in first in exchange for the Russian judge putting the French team first in the ice-dance event. The French judge confessed to the deal, then later recanted, but very few people in figure skating believed it when she took back her statement. The International Skating Union (equivalent of IIHF) wanted to sweep it under the rug, and had it not been for the public outcry in North America, they probably would have succeeded.

Obviously, the situation is unusual because of the confession of the French judge, but within figure skating most people were glad that Sale and Pelletier, Skate Canada, and the IOC pushed for an investigation simply because it was so clear that something was not on the up-and-up. This crap went on in figure skating for years, and everyone knew it, but this was the first time there was anything even resembling proof.

LilWinger11 is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 12:50 PM
  #929
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
David Villa with the winner, tough loss for the Swedes.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 12:50 PM
  #930
Kachino
@kachino82
 
Kachino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 50
and David Villa wins it for Spain in the stoppage time...

Kachino is online now  
Old
06-14-2008, 12:51 PM
  #931
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,557
vCash: 500
Screw this.

SpreeEndaz is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 12:53 PM
  #932
Kachino
@kachino82
 
Kachino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 50
Portugal, Croatia, Netherlands and Spain all finishing on top of their group...

Kachino is online now  
Old
06-14-2008, 12:53 PM
  #933
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
The Sale/Pelltier thing wasn't incompetent officating- it was, and still is, thought by most people in figure skating to have been fixed. The French judge in the pairs event had agreed to put the Russian pair in first in exchange for the Russian judge putting the French team first in the ice-dance event. The French judge confessed to the deal, then later recanted, but very few people in figure skating believed it when she took back her statement. The International Skating Union (equivalent of IIHF) wanted to sweep it under the rug, and had it not been for the public outcry in North America, they probably would have succeeded.

Obviously, the situation is unusual because of the confession of the French judge, but within figure skating most people were glad that Sale and Pelletier, Skate Canada, and the IOC pushed for an investigation simply because it was so clear that something was not on the up-and-up. This crap went on in figure skating for years, and everyone knew it, but this was the first time there was anything even resembling proof.
Sometimes it's up to the federations to step up. Match fixing, judging irregularities happen in every sport and every nationality (although on this board it only occurs in Italy). FIFA is the ultimate political machine, deny, deny, deny. WC 2002 was a real farce with Korea clearly brought to the semis.

Habnot is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 12:54 PM
  #934
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
David Villa with the winner, tough loss for the Swedes.
Am I wrong or was that a foul on the Swedish player....

Habnot is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 12:55 PM
  #935
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,339
vCash: 256
Sweden played so well in the 1st half and with Puyol out I would have expected them to push even more in the 2nd half,very poorly 2nd half for Sweden who will now have to beat Russia to get trough

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 12:57 PM
  #936
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,339
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Am I wrong or was that a foul on the Swedish player....
It was close but Sweden did not get 1 call their way in the 2nd half.Did the ref see the penalty replay at the half that he should have called before the break? Who know's

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:01 PM
  #937
Ghost of Saku
Registered User
 
Ghost of Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
As a Spain supporter.... YES!

Ghost of Saku is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:04 PM
  #938
thrillhous
Registered User
 
thrillhous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Sweden played so well in the 1st half and with Puyol out I would have expected them to push even more in the 2nd half,very poorly 2nd half for Sweden who will now have to beat Russia to get trough
Not necessarily. Depends on what happens today and in the Spain-Greece match. Could be that a draw would be enough.

thrillhous is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:05 PM
  #939
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Confirmation from the Norwegian ref from yesterday's Italy-Romania:

L'arbitro Ovrebo ammette
"Ho sbagliato con Toni"

L'arbitro norvegese sul gol annullato per fuorigioco all'azzurro che era in posizione regolare: "C' poco da discutere, un errore, l'ho detto anche alla commissione Uefa"


Quick translation - The Norwegian ref on the goal disallowed for off side which was (Toni) was in regular position. "There is little to discuss, it was an error, I even told Uefa commission."

Let the haters spin this one.

Habnot is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:14 PM
  #940
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We are the only ones that see it because everyone is happy when we lose,the only country that see this BS against us is Spain because in 2002 they got the same treatment against Korea right after Korea "beat us"
I could not have said it better myself.

gusfring is online now  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:16 PM
  #941
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Am I wrong or was that a foul on the Swedish player....
It was close, could have gone either way.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:17 PM
  #942
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Confirmation from the Norwegian ref from yesterday's Italy-Romania:

L'arbitro Ovrebo ammette
"Ho sbagliato con Toni"

L'arbitro norvegese sul gol annullato per fuorigioco all'azzurro che era in posizione regolare: "C' poco da discutere, un errore, l'ho detto anche alla commissione Uefa"


Quick translation - The Norwegian ref on the goal disallowed for off side which was (Toni) was in regular position. "There is little to discuss, it was an error, I even told Uefa commission."

Let the haters spin this one.
Let me try:

-That's a made up quote by Italians - he didn't actually say that
-Even if the ref says it after review I say Del Piero was offside
-That halftime whistle should have been blown before the play
-this is payback for Radoi being hurt

gusfring is online now  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:21 PM
  #943
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
With regards to the Italy v. Romania game, Toni was onside and that goal should have stood. That said, I don't think there is any conspiracy to prevent Italy from going through, calls get missed all the time. Offside is easy enough to call on the replay, but it's not as easy on the pitch.

I actually was pulling for Italy, well at least to maintain the tie. Cheering for Buffon to stop a penalty was a very odd thing for a France supporter.


Last edited by habfan4: 06-14-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typos
habfan4 is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:25 PM
  #944
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
With regards to the Italy v. Romania game, Toni was onside and that goal should have stood. That said, I don't think there is any conspiracy to prevent Italy from going through, calls get missed all the time. Offside is east enough to call on the replay, but it's not as easy on the pitch.

I actually was pulling for Italy, well at least to maintain the tie. Cheering for Buffon to stop a penalty was a very odd thing for a France supporter.
I know what you mean. I have never pulled for France but yesterday, I wanted the french to win. It would of made Italy's road easier, or at least they controlled their own destiny.

Habnot is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:26 PM
  #945
thrillhous
Registered User
 
thrillhous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,674
vCash: 500
Conspiracy theories are absurd. There is no conspiracy to keep any team from winning - now give it up.

thrillhous is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:26 PM
  #946
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,339
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I know what you mean. I have never pulled for France but yesterday, I wanted the french to win. It would of made Italy's road easier, or at least they controlled their own destiny.
If France would have won we would have had to beat them by 4 goals or more?

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:27 PM
  #947
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,954
vCash: 500
If anyone still foolishly believes that Italy have not been on the wrong end of referee decisions over the years should read this article, written by a Frenchman.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=736084

gusfring is online now  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:31 PM
  #948
habfan4
Registered User
 
habfan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Deus Amat Pretzel
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
If anyone still foolishly believes that Italy have not been on the wrong end of referee decisions over the years should read this article, written by a Frenchman.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=736084
I don't think anyone is saying that Italy hasn't been the victim of some bad calls. It's the collusion aspect that I think is baseless.

When you qualify for and generally go deep in major competitions you're bound to have some bounces go against you.

habfan4 is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:33 PM
  #949
Penner getrdonebryan
Registered User
 
Penner getrdonebryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rou.
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
For those who argue who is a better coach Donadoni ,Domenech or Piturca: way to go to bring such arguments as Domenech has led the France to a WC final or Donadoni is better because Italy had 60% possession .
Let me tell you what Domenech did in the first game :
-played Ribery on the right side , even though Riberi thrived at Bayern playing on the left
-he left out Trezeguet who scored 20 goals in Seria A and brought Gomis and Benzema who definitely have potential but now they even keep the ball at their feet
-Altough,Romania is well known as a team who rely on their defence , he used two defensive midfielders .
-He starts Abidal who had a poor season at Barca instead of Evra who is more offensive and was a major part for Manchester being so succesful
-He starts Sagnol who missed a lot of games last season
-He left out Mexes
-Zidane is the only reason for Domenech sniffing the Cup in 2006
-He introduced against Romania two unproven players at international level in Gomis and Nasri
There are many more reasons for me to say that Domenech is not a very wise coach . A coach who can't get Italy or France in the quarterfinals with the talent that these teams have , aren't too good I might add

Italy has Buffon,Zambrotta,Pirlo,Toni,Del Piero , De Rossi just to name a few star players
France has Gallas,Thuram,Evra,Ribery,Henry,Makelele,Malouda
Romania has 2 world class players in Chivu and Mutu , and 3-4 potential stars in the future Tamas,Marica ,R.Stefan...lol


Probably Holland wins Tuesday because, let's face it ...they are awesome examples of fair-play...unfortunately, they will meet Italy again in the semifinals and they will get beaten in the last minute of the game because of an own goal ...

Penner getrdonebryan is offline  
Old
06-14-2008, 01:35 PM
  #950
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmyn View Post
For those who argue who is a better coach Donadoni ,Domenech or Piturca: way to go to bring such arguments as Domenech has led the France to a WC final or Donadoni is better because Italy had 60% possession .
Let me tell you what Domenech did in the first game :
-played Ribery on the right side , even though Riberi thrived at Bayern playing on the left
-he left out Trezeguet who scored 20 goals in Seria A and brought Gomis and Benzema who definitely have potential but now they even keep the ball at their feet
-Altough,Romania is well known as a team who rely on their defence , he used two defensive midfielders .
-He starts Abidal who had a poor season at Barca instead of Evra who is more offensive and was a major part for Manchester being so succesful
-He starts Sagnol who missed a lot of games last season
-He left out Mexes
-Zidane is the only reason for Domenech sniffing the Cup in 2006
-He introduced against Romania two unproven players at international level in Gomis and Nasri
There are many more reasons for me to say that Domenech is not a very wise coach . A coach who can't get Italy or France in the quarterfinals with the talent that these teams have , aren't too good I might add

Italy has Buffon,Zambrotta,Pirlo,Toni,Del Piero , De Rossi just to name a few star players
France has Gallas,Thuram,Evra,Ribery,Henry,Makelele,Malouda
Romania has 2 world class players in Chivu and Mutu , and 3-4 potential stars in the future Tamas,Marica ,R.Stefan...lol


Probably Holland wins Tuesday because, let's face it ...they are awesome examples of fair-play...unfortunately, they will meet Italy again in the semifinals and they will get beaten in the last minute of the game because of an own goal ...
I'm not saying Domenech is a great manager, I just don't see how you say Piturca is head and shoulders better (than Domenech or Donadoni). It just doesn't make sense.

gusfring is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.