HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Official Euro 2008 Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakery View Post
This should close thát discussion.

If this rule was any different, there would more often be someone jumping out of the pitch to get the opponent in offside...boy, that would so not work...

Old
06-10-2008, 08:07 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I also predict two winners, each winning by at least one more goal over the other team.

Mark my words.
There are ties in this round of euro.

Just sayin..

Old
06-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob-KingsVisnovsky View Post
This should close thát discussion.

If this rule was any different, there would more often be someone jumping out of the pitch to get the opponent in offside...boy, that would so not work...
Goal was good and Italy did not deserve to win anyways

Old
06-10-2008, 08:09 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Goal was good and Italy did not deserve to win anyways
You just earned a lot of respect from me.

Old
06-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Not 1 match yet were both teams have scored at least 1 goal

I think it will happen today in the Greece Sweden match

Old
06-10-2008, 08:10 AM
AD

Quote:
Not 1 match yet were both teams have scored at least 1 goal

I think it will happen today in the Greece Sweden match
I wouldn't count on that game to be a high scoring affair.

Though Spain-Russia is promising.

Old
06-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post

Maybe but I would be surprised if Russia finds the back of the net in this one.Let's just hope for some good soccer

Old
06-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Megaforce

What's with all the gross tattoos on the Italian players? They looked like jailbirds. They didn't play too great either from what I saw. They got trounced. Keep this up and they'll be checking that train schedule back through the Alps.

Old
06-10-2008, 08:39 AM
habfan4

I watched both matches again last night and I came away even more disappointed with France's effort, less so for Italy. France controlled midfield well and the defense with the exception of when Mutu was bearing down on them was solid (though Gallas of all people looked shaky at times). Up front they had no sustained attack and never seemed to get enough men forward to counter Romania falling back into a completely defensive shell. Anelka is just not the answer up front and Ribery (who I had high hopes for) didn't look like he's fully healed from that ankle injury (no pace and no touch on the ball). Hopefully Vieria and Henry are back for the match against the Netherlands or it could be a quick out for France.

The Italians on 2nd review (at least up front) didn't look half as bad as I thought they did, particularly after Del Piero came on. The back four were atrocious, but fortunately for Italy, Romania and France seem incapable of generating much offense. Given that Buffon (who played very well despite letting in three goals) is the type of keeper who might not concede another goal the entire tournament, they might be okay if they can shore up that defense.

The Netherlands were tenacious, opportunistic and Van de Sar was spectacular. As an extra bonus for the Oranje, Van Persie looked fit so I'm not thrilled that France faces this team next.

Old
06-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakery View Post
http://it.eurosport.yahoo.com/feelfo.../article/1781/

"Sbagliano anche gli insospettabili. Gli arbitri italiani, ad esempio: che promulgano a gran voce un editto marchiato Aia che dice che i giocatori che risultano infortunati, e a bordo campo durante un'azione di gioco, non sono da considerare parte attiva. E dunque un gol come quello di Van Nistlerooy andrebbe annullato. Ma in tutto il resto dell'Europa, ci verrebbe da dire del mondo, interpretano questa regola in modo diverso. E all'Europeo arbitrano gli internazionali, e non i nostri fischietti. La regola potrà non piacere, e potrebbe anche essere cambiata: magari qualcuno, ironicamente, lo farà anche dopo questo europeo."

It looks like Italian rules are different from international rules...I didn't know that!
Anyways, that wouldn't have changed dramatically the game...as I said, we deserved to lose.

Old
06-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Netherlands looked very strong yesterday but the Italians did create some decent chances. Van de Sar had to be very good on a few occasions and the other times the Italians just messed it up (Toni's chance in particular).

I thought France looked OK and simply lacked finish. Romania didn't seem very interested in attacking (contrary to what their coach was saying before the game) and they seemed content to play for the goal less draw.

The Spain-Russia game will be the first match that I'll miss so far in these Championships which sucks because Spain is the bandwagon I've jumped on. I think they have arguably the most talented team and I can't wait to watch Torres play.

Old
06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
HabsKraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
... and as a HSV fan am really enthusiastic about Trochowski, a heart 'n soul player. I kind of hope Germany can perhaps get a nice 2 or 3 nothing lead in one of the next few games so that a guy like Piotr could get a little playing time.
He'd prolly be a starter on team Poland.
I used to have very high hopes for Trochowski. Had him on my Kicker manager team (you probably know what I'm talking about) for the last 3 years or so. However, he always disappointed year after year. He won't get another chance from me next year.
He definitely lacks that finishing touch: seems to have a good shot but too often misses the goal. May be with some maturing he will some day become the player I saw in him.

Quote:
PPS) Definitely check out the new arena in Berlin. Even if not a fan of the DEL, the place should be state-of-the-art and the fans - although often intimidating (sometimes for all the wrong reasons) - just have to be experienced. That's a loyal, loyal following they have there and Berlin will definitely be competitive next season. Don't forget that the IIHF attempt at making a champions league will include the Eisbären next season, so some of the best from countries like Sweden, Finland, Russia, etc. should be in town a couple of times. If I were there, I'd definitely be checking those games.
Absolutely, like I said I will check out a few games with my Czech friend (a Rangers fan btw). I kind of like the Eisbaeren, their history and their dedicated, die-hard fans. With the new arean I'm sure the attendence will grow significantly.
We'll also probably go to the Czech Republic next season to catch a few games. Not that far from Berlin...
(sorry to be off-topic here)

Old
06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
habfan4

Was anyone else annoyed with TSN's lack of coverage during Sports Centre last night/this morning? 10 minutes on the Hockey Night in Canada theme song and what seemed like a few seconds on Euro 2008.

Old
06-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I watched both matches again last night and I came away even more disappointed with France's effort, less so for Italy. France controlled midfield well and the defense with the exception of when Mutu was bearing down on them was solid (though Gallas of all people looked shaky at times). Up front they had no sustained attack and never seemed to get enough men forward to counter Romania falling back into a completely defensive shell. Anelka is just not the answer up front and Ribery (who I had high hopes for) didn't look like he's fully healed from that ankle injury (no pace and no touch on the ball). Hopefully Vieria and Henry are back for the match against the Netherlands or it could be a quick out for France.

The Italians on 2nd review (at least up front) didn't look half as bad as I thought they did, particularly after Del Piero came on. The back four were atrocious, but fortunately for Italy, Romania and France seem incapable of generating much offense. Given that Buffon (who played very well despite letting in three goals) is the type of keeper who might not concede another goal the entire tournament, they might be okay if they can shore up that defense.

The Netherlands were tenacious, opportunistic and Van de Sar was spectacular. As an extra bonus for the Oranje, Van Persie looked fit so I'm not thrilled that France faces this team next.
Good analysis, although I am not as optimistic for Italy. I thought they looked sluggish and were not capable of responding to the Dutch pressing in the first half. Once the game was 2-0, I have a harder time drawing true conclusions since the Dutch were clearly in a rope-a dope mentality. And for one of the few times, Italy was exposed tactically. With their aging defense, the Dutch scored two goal on a counter attack.

For the Azzurri psyche, this game can be a knock out blow. Donadoni completely got the starting 11 wrong and didn't substitute well. Now he needs to completely revitalize his team by bringing in some younger legs - Chellini, De Rossi, Aquilani and Cassano. Is he capable of doing this?

Old
06-10-2008, 09:06 AM
JaymzB

Quote:

The biggest plus the Oranje have IMO. While their D isn't spectacular, they have one of the very best keepers in the world (who seems to be playing better than ever before). That let's them be more aggresive pushing forward, with the knowledge that the last line of defense is solid.

Old
06-10-2008, 09:20 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Good analysis, although I am not as optimistic for Italy. I thought they looked sluggish and were not capable of responding to the Dutch pressing in the first half. Once the game was 2-0, I have a harder time drawing true conclusions since the Dutch were clearly in a rope-a dope mentality. And for one of the few times, Italy was exposed tactically. With their aging defense, the Dutch scored two goal on a counter attack.

For the Azzurri psyche, this game can be a knock out blow. Donadoni completely got the starting 11 wrong and didn't substitute well. Now he needs to completely revitalize his team by bringing in some younger legs - Chellini, De Rossi, Aquilani and Cassano. Is he capable of doing this?
I guess we're harder on the teams we support and more genteel when describing our opponents.

Van Basten completely out foxed Donadoni, with Cannavaro out the Netherlands approach from the starting whistle was to pressure the Italian backs and they did so with great success (odd that two of their goals came from quick counters). Before the tournament, there was talk about the Italians playing a more offensive game (and they did to an extent when Del Piero came on) but in the first half they played that passive counter-attacking style that has worked so well for them in the past, but without their anchor on defense they paid for it.

I still think that Italy can go through, Romania will not test the Italian defense like the Netherlands did, the Romanian style of play is perfect for Italy to exploit. France is another story, but by the time they face each other the game might not mean anything (though I'm clearly hoping it does). They also have Buffon who is arguably the best keeper in the world.

Old
06-10-2008, 09:37 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post

To me, Italy is not as bad as this performance indicates. It is more to do with the egregious tactical errors by Donadoni. He went for a lineup that was too old and that had no support for Toni. It is no coincidence that the team was better offensively when Grosso, del Piero, and Cassano were placed on the pitch.

The lineup next games should consist of

Zambrotta-Chellini-Materazzi/Pannuci-Grosso
Aquilani-Pirlo-De Rossi
Di Natale/del Piero
Cassano-Toni

Old
06-10-2008, 09:44 AM
AD

Quote:
Was anyone else annoyed with TSN's lack of coverage during Sports Centre last night/this morning? 10 minutes on the Hockey Night in Canada theme song and what seemed like a few seconds on Euro 2008.
Yes.

And I was further annoyed by the fact that the only 30 seconds they did spend on euro were spent listening to Howard try to argue for the offside call and his basic argument being: "Well come on... ".

Old
06-10-2008, 09:55 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
The biggest plus the Oranje have IMO. While their D isn't spectacular, they have one of the very best keepers in the world (who seems to be playing better than ever before). That let's them be more aggresive pushing forward, with the knowledge that the last line of defense is solid.
When called upon he certainly delivered, his stop on the Pirlo's (???) free kick was exceptional.

Old
06-10-2008, 09:56 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Yes.

And I was further annoyed by the fact that the only 30 seconds they did spend on euro were spent listening to Howard try to argue for the offside call and his basic argument being: "Well come on... ".
The UEFA news release pretty much put the matter to rest, TSN will probably mention that before the Spain v. Russia game (or maybe they won't).

Old
06-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
Quote:
France is solid on defense with their defensive line + 2 defensive midfielders. Unfortunately, their transition game was really bad yesterday. Obviously they don't the luxury of that world-class playmaker in the middle anymore where every football will go to. I honestly think Ribery is still bothered by his injury... and him getting tightly marked doesn't help too. In the last WC, France usually played 4-2-3-1... but now they always play 4-2-2-2 and they are big gaps between their forwards and defensive midfielders. If Ribery/Malouda are not able to do their things on their respective side, then France will have difficulties in their transition game therefore also having difficulties creating great scoring chances. I'm no football expert, but I would like to see a 4-1-3-2 or a 4-2-3-1 with Nasri in both formations as attacking midfielder. I know if that happens, a lot of pressure will be on the kid to distribute the ball, to find open gaps on the field and to create some offense but I'm confident he'll be up for the task. Anyways, having Vieira and Henry back might change the entire team chemistry and lead France to a qualification for the 2nd round.

Old
06-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Habnot

Quote:
The UEFA news release pretty much put the matter to rest, TSN will probably mention that before the Spain v. Russia game (or maybe they won't).
Not so sure. This from the London Times:
"For those interested in the specifics, it was Fifa regulation 11, sub-clause 11 that started the trouble. Passed five years ago, seemingly under the cover of darkness to judge from the surprise when it was implemented by Peter Fröjdfeldt, the Swedish referee, last night, it established that a player no longer has to be on the field to be active, provided he has left the pitch without the permission of the referee. And Christian Panucci, Italy’s right back, had most certainly done that after he collided with his own goalkeeper, Gianluigi Buffon, when trying to clear the ball. He stumbled two paces and collapsed in a heap, lying on his back, with both hands on his head, some three yards beyond the byline.

And it was from that prone position, not even watching the action, that he was somehow judged to have played Ruud van Nistelrooy onside and allowed him to score one of the most controversial goals in tournament history. Not because it was indisputably illegal, for it was quickly established that, despite Italy’s ire, Holland’s first goal was within the new rules as so interpreted by Fröjdfeldt, but because it was so daft, so wrong, so clearly a mistake, that it should have been scrapped on commonsense grounds. Yet when was clarity of thought last on nodding acquaintance with the offside laws? Not for some time. Maybe this will spark a re-evaluation. "

Old
06-10-2008, 10:43 AM
habfan4

Quote:

I see it Sweden 1 - Greece nil.

H. Larsson with the goal.

Spain v. Russia - Either a blowout for Spain 3-0 or an 1-0 upset for Russia.

Old
06-10-2008, 10:49 AM
usernam

Quote:
2-0 Spain
1-1 Greece and Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Spain 1-0 Russia
Sweden 1-0 Greece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
Russia 1-0 Spain
Sweden 2-0 Greece
Quote:
Spain 1 - Russia 0
Sweden 2 - Greece 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
Spain 3 - 0 Russia (Xavi, Torres, Villa)
Sweden 1 - 0 Greece (Zlatan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
Spain 2 Russia 0
Greece 0 Sweden 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino82
Spain 2 Russia 0 (Fabregas, Torres)
Greece 0 Sweden 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Russia 1 - Spain 2
Sweden 2 Greece 0

Just compiling the predictions, it will be easier to find them after. You still have 10 minutes to add yours.

Last edited by usernam: 06-10-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Russia 1 - Spain 2
Sweden 2 Greece 0

Closed Thread