HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread (continued)

Old
06-14-2008, 06:32 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
What would it cost us to move into the 11 or 10 spot so we could draft Beach? we could use his size and mean streak.

1st in 08 2nd in 09 + prucha?
The '09 might be even deeper than this year. You don't give away a 2nd round pick. There will be a very good player on the board at #20. And, if the player the Rangers want isn't there, moving down is a strong possibilty.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:06 AM
alucard

Everything I have read about Petrov says that he has a longer term contract with his current team, I think in the area of 3-4 years which he plans on honoring. If that is the case I really have a hard time seeing him leave Russia at the age of 22+ to sign an ELC with a capped salary when he can play in Russia earing 3x what the ELC max is. Again I have heard this but not specifically read it anywhere. I am not saying he doesn't have the skills but whats the point of drafting someone who will never play for your team. This information might not be 100% accurate I am sure teams all have an idea of what Petrov's intentions are based on his combine interview.

alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:35 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
Everything I have read about Petrov says that he has a longer term contract with his current team, I think in the area of 3-4 years which he plans on honoring. If that is the case I really have a hard time seeing him leave Russia at the age of 22+ to sign an ELC with a capped salary when he can play in Russia earing 3x what the ELC max is. Again I have heard this but not specifically read it anywhere. I am not saying he doesn't have the skills but whats the point of drafting someone who will never play for your team. This information might not be 100% accurate I am sure teams all have an idea of what Petrov's intentions are based on his combine interview.
According to this (in Russian) he is signed through 2012.

That certainly makes him a much bigger risk (especially if Euro draft rights are going to continue to expire 2 years after the draft) than a guy like Filatov, who's not under contract in Russia at the moment and has made it very clear he wants to come to NA next season.

That said, it's also not a given that a player who's 22+ won't come over and play on an ELC... Alexander Nikulin (Ottawa) did it this year at age 23 (and spent the season, minus 2 games, in the AHL). In many ways it makes sense for players to stay in Russia for a few years, bank some of the money they earn, develop their game, and then come over later when they're more financially stable and are better prepared for the NHL...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:47 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
According to this (in Russian) he is signed through 2012.

That certainly makes him a much bigger risk (especially if Euro draft rights are going to continue to expire 2 years after the draft) than a guy like Filatov, who's not under contract in Russia at the moment and has made it very clear he wants to come to NA next season.

That said, it's also not a given that a player who's 22+ won't come over and play on an ELC... Alexander Nikulin (Ottawa) did it this year at age 23 (and spent the season, minus 2 games, in the AHL). In many ways it makes sense for players to stay in Russia for a few years, bank some of the money they earn, develop their game, and then come over later when they're more financially stable and are better prepared for the NHL...
It makes me wonder what happens to Cherepanov if we don't sign him for next season. As for Petrov if he's signed until 2012--no way.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:07 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
So there's rule against having two quality offensive D-men, who skate well and transport the puck effectively? I am salivating at the idea of having a top for with two D-men with the offensive capabilities of Sanguinetti and Del Zotto, matched Staal and Sauer (if he makes it) or Girardi. Besides, Bobby S is a right-handed shot, while Del Zotto is a lefty.
you can't have more than 1 good offensive dman...i mean just look at how terribly it turned out for anaheim having niedermayer, pronger, and beauchemin and for detroit having lidstrom, rafalski, and kronwall...we clearly want to avoid a potential disaster like that.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
The '09 might be even deeper than this year. You don't give away a 2nd round pick. There will be a very good player on the board at #20. And, if the player the Rangers want isn't there, moving down is a strong possibilty.
Agreed.

And especially not for Beach, who has some serious character questions.

I would prefer to have players without mental problems.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Edge

I think it's far more likely the Rangers trade down than up.

Having said that, it's pretty wide open after the top 7 or 8 players and anything is possible.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:54 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Agreed.

And especially not for Beach, who has some serious character questions.

I would prefer to have players without mental problems.
well people said that about avery. and people said that about schremp and steve downie. anyways id take the risk for beach maybe in the 2ed round if he is still there, or if we happen to get an extra first round pick.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Edge

I'd easily take Beach if he is available when we pick.

I don't know if I'd move assets to trade up for him, but I wouldn't blink about taking him at 20.

I think he has some growing up to do but I really think he's going to be a very good NHL player.

Old
06-14-2008, 02:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
well people said that about avery. and people said that about schremp and steve downie. anyways id take the risk for beach maybe in the 2ed round if he is still there, or if we happen to get an extra first round pick.
If that were the case, then definitely. Because he does have a tremendous amount of skill.

But i wouldn't trade up for him specifically.

Old
06-14-2008, 02:32 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
If that were the case, then definitely. Because he does have a tremendous amount of skill.

But i wouldn't trade up for him specifically.
the most id trade up is number 15 for him. i think he goes from 15-22 i think. or maybe he goes top 5 because of his size.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 02:50 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
you can't have more than 1 good offensive dman...i mean just look at how terribly it turned out for anaheim having niedermayer, pronger, and beauchemin and for detroit having lidstrom, rafalski, and kronwall...we clearly want to avoid a potential disaster like that.
You didn't just try to compare Bobby Sangs and Zotto with Niedermayer, Pronger or Lidstrom did you?

Kronwall brings a lot more then offense to his team then Sangs or Zotto will. Again, comparing another star to Sangs and Zotto. Terrible argument.

Getting another offensive defenseman would be a waste of our first pick. Zotto isn't even that great, he doesnt hit, doesnt have much size, average at best at defense.

Much, MUCH, rather take a high risk, high reward forward then a high risk offensive defenseman.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

give me a bone crushing, make you think twice before skating in front of the net kind of defenseman. i want someone who will just destroy guys NHL Hitz Pro style.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

Getting another offensive defenseman would be a waste of our first pick. Zotto isn't even that great, he doesnt hit, doesnt have much size, average at best at defense.
I kind of understand where you're argument is coming from. But your overview of MDZ's negatives are not true at all. He might be shaky from time to time defensively like Sangs was, but he's a thick kid at an average height and does hit. He's done a much better job physically this year, and his contact throughout the course of a game is pretty impressive for a guy who's labeled as a soft offensive defenseman.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 04:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
You didn't just try to compare Bobby Sangs and Zotto with Niedermayer, Pronger or Lidstrom did you?

Kronwall brings a lot more then offense to his team then Sangs or Zotto will. Again, comparing another star to Sangs and Zotto. Terrible argument.

Much, MUCH, rather take a high risk, high reward forward then a high risk offensive defenseman.
He's 6 foot 210 pounds. I'd say he has decent size.

Old
06-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
He's 6 foot 210 pounds. I'd say he has decent size.
And this is as an 18 year old. Imagine when he fills out?

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Edge

Personally, I like Del Zotto.

He got off to a rough start but picked up steam and managed to add to his rookie totals.

Having said that, he's a work in progress. Ultimately though I'd really have to consider him. He reminds me a lot of Sanguinetti in his draft year and I could see a similar situation where falls and possibly becomes a great pick for a team.

Old
06-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Personally, I like Del Zotto.

He got off to a rough start but picked up steam and managed to add to his rookie totals.

Having said that, he's a work in progress. Ultimately though I'd really have to consider him. He reminds me a lot of Sanguinetti in his draft year and I could see a similar situation where falls and possibly becomes a great pick for a team.
Yeah, But i doubt he falls to 20. I think he'll get drafted in the 12-17 spot

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 05:50 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Yeah, But i doubt he falls to 20. I think he'll get drafted in the 12-17 spot
He's dropped on the ISS rankings to 23. I can see him being there at #20.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
I want Colin Wilson so badly, but it doesn't look possible, and trading up to the top 10 will cost too much. Realistically, hoping for John Carlson.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
give me a bone crushing, make you think twice before skating in front of the net kind of defenseman. i want someone who will just destroy guys NHL Hitz Pro style.
That is EXACTLY what we need.

Brendan Witt type.

Thats all the Rangers should be focusing on unless they move up, grab filatov and sign orpik.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Edge

Quote:
He's dropped on the ISS rankings to 23. I can see him being there at #20.
I can easily see him dropping like Sanguinetti did.

If it happens, I'd scoop him up. So far we're doing pretty good with defenseman who fall on draft day (Staal, Sanguinetti).

Old
06-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I can easily see him dropping like Sanguinetti did.

If it happens, I'd scoop him up. So far we're doing pretty good with defenseman who fall on draft day (Staal, Sanguinetti).
Didn't most GM's have Staal ranked at like #2-7 on draft day.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:47 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
Yeah probably. I remember when Carolina was picking the commentators discussing that they would take either Jack Johnson or Staal.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Yes. I remember that as well. I couldn't believe he fell as far as he did, either.

We got extremely lucky in the last 3 drafts with Staal, Sanguinetti, and Cherepanov.

All top 5 or top 10 talent and they fell into our laps.

It may happen again, but we can't rely on it, we have to draft smart. Our staff has to be on their game and be smart next week.