HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread (continued)

Old
06-20-2008, 08:19 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Have a feeling Jimmy Hayes is on our radar for our second round pick should he fall..
I hope not, he's awful.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:22 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I hope not, he's awful.
had a bad year. If you can get him in the second it's a steal. He impressed many at the combine.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:23 AM
JR#9*

in my uninformed opion based solely on reading all the various scouting reports I'd like to see them address size, especially upfront amoung our prospect pool.

I'd also like them to swing for the fences at 20 if Petrov is available because we are stocked with 3rd line/charater depth guys but need top 2 line talent potenial.

Even if Petrov did 4 yrs it would be in the RSL playing amoung men so while the Rangers would like to control a guy's career a little more by having them play in NA it's not the worst thing to have a guy like Petrov play there.

In the 2nd I'd like to grab another potential steal in Grachev who also has great size and was the 2nd rated Euro to start the yr but his size and mobility would also be a nice addition to the prospect pool.

If not him in the 2nd I'm hoping to gtet maybe Stefanovich or Voinov.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Levitate

Edge, what's your thoughts on Tendenby? I liked the video I saw of him in what looked to be the WJC under 18's. Never stops moving, great agility and speed, some slick hands...but it's hard to tell how that'd translate to higher levels of play, though apparently he's playing in the top SEL league now(?).

The thought of drafting a really small guy kind of sours me, but he did look pretty impressive and is getting some good reviews.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:50 AM
NYR Viper

size doesnt bother me if they like get into the game...if they battle its fine...its when they are small and are perimeter players is when its a problem....if they like to battle they will bulk up and get to the weight they need to battle in the nhl

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 08:58 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
size doesnt bother me if they like get into the game...if they battle its fine...its when they are small and are perimeter players is when its a problem....if they like to battle they will bulk up and get to the weight they need to battle in the nhl
Size does make a big difference when you are batting the 6'4 220 defensemen for the puck down low. He's got strength AND reach where speed makes no difference (trenches)

Old
06-20-2008, 09:10 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Size does make a big difference when you are batting the 6'4 220 defensemen for the puck down low. He's got strength AND reach where speed makes no difference (trenches)
tell that to st. louis, drury, gomez, dawes, koivu and many others...is it easier if your bigger....yes, but if a smaller player is willing to battle its worth it

Old
06-20-2008, 09:11 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
tell that to st. louis, drury, gomez, dawes, koivu and many others...is it easier if your bigger....yes, but if a smaller player is willing to battle its worth it
but if what if the big players who dont battle like malik poti nedved etc

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:17 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
but if what if the big players who dont battle like malik poti nedved etc
ok you got me...all i was saying is a battler is worth the pick

Old
06-20-2008, 09:21 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
I don't think anyone here has a problem with smaller players but with the current Rangers roster and prospects, there is a need for some size. In theory I would love it if the Rangers drafted Erik Karlsson but in reality I don't know if it's a good idea to take a 5'11" D-man who only weighs 165. How much more weight can he add?

I'd like to see a Rangers team with great D and a big physical presence. If we can develop both those elements at the same time in front of henrik and get a little lucky with the wingers I think the Rangers could be unstoppable in a few years.

I'm actually not worried about who the Rangers draft. They've been doing a great job in the past few years. That said, I would like it to be Del Zotto...

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:37 AM
GarretJoseph*

whats going on with these russian players? are teams still scared to sign them? I hope we land another russian stud who should have gone top 5..

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
whats going on with these russian players? are teams still scared to sign them? I hope we land another russian stud who should have gone top 5..
Yes, teams are still iffy about signing them. But Filatov will still go top 10 I think. Petrov will drop, since he's signed to a pretty decent deal right now anyways

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 09:55 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Nikita Filatov speaks fluent English, has no contract with the Russian super league and has said repeatedly that he wants to play in North America.

He should have held his tongue. Now he's gonna find himself going high in the draft and he'll play on a crappy team.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I have a question about Jared Staal for those who have seen him play or who know about him:

If you change his last name from Staal to Smith, where is he picked? That is to say, how much of his reputation is based on his name? Or, in another way of asking, what does he bring to the table besides his last name?

06-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I have a question about Jared Staal for those who have seen him play or who know about him:

If you change his last name from Staal to Smith, where is he picked? That is to say, how much of his reputation is based on his name? Or, in another way of asking, what does he bring to the table besides his last name?
i have heard people say if he wasn't a staal he'd be a late 3rd, 4th round pick

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:

No doubt he has some skill, but his own father has said that he's not too motivated to even play hockey. I think if he's picked in one of the first two rounds, he's bound to be a disappointment, but with a 3rd round pick or later, he might be well worth it.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. I heard he was awful for the longest time, perhaps not NHL caliber potential at all. Then he had a decent year in the OHL and now he's a 2nd rounder.

Apparently he put up 20 fewer points than Jordan did at the same age in his 2nd OHL season. He played 7 fewer games though.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:04 AM
battlerex99

I'm now hoping for Tedenby or Petrov with our first pick. We need some talent on the outside.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:05 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
In theory I would love it if the Rangers drafted Erik Karlsson but in reality I don't know if it's a good idea to take a 5'11" D-man who only weighs 165. How much more weight can he add?
kronwall weighed 155lbs at his draft and allot of people doubted hed make bc of it when the wings took him

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
I'm now hoping for Tedenby or Petrov with our first pick. We need some talent on the outside.
we need defense more than wing help i.m.o.

Old
06-20-2008, 11:12 AM
DontStepanMe

Petrov or karlsson for first round please...

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Nich

i really just want the best defenseman available

Old
06-20-2008, 11:44 AM
NYR Viper

carlson/teubert and then ness in the second......i would be really excited to get ness in the second as i think he is in the form of a rafalski....great puck mover and skater...just switched from forward to defense his freshman year of high school and he played most of every game.....his coaches rave about his athleticism and his hockey sense.....

Old
06-20-2008, 12:01 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
we need defense more than wing help i.m.o.

You don't draft for your current state of the team. This drafted player will not be here for at least 3-4 years. By then Girardi, Staal, Sangienetti, Sauer, Tytuin will be well entrenched.

Looking at our players 23 years old and younger, BIG NHL caliber wingers is where we are short.

Old
06-20-2008, 12:04 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I don't understand why people are so focused on D - I really don't.

We lose exactly one player (Baranka) and it goes from a position of organizational strength to a weakness? Just because we've been so successful with our D picks that 3 of them are now on the team, rather than toiling in the AHL? I honestly think we plug our holes with FAs and then have Sauer, Sanguinetti, Potter (and even Liffiton) still waiting. Yes, we need DEPTH at D, but I don't think it's the glaring imperative that others have been saying that we get one in the first round.

Top 6 forward talent is still a much bigger need IMO.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote