HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread (continued)

Old
06-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Tedenby
Ennis
Eberle
Gustafsson
Ness
Carlson
Staal

Those are the guys i want.

Any will do. If we can land two of them that would be great (one of them in 1st and one in the 2nd).
I'd take Staal at #20, call me crazy

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
crazy.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

We could do alot worse...and we have.

Again, I think this draft is terribly overrated after the top tier goes, and thats maybe 10 or 12 players. Staal at least has good size, ability and smarts. That alone will probably be enough for an NHL career. I just think he has more than he has been able to show. Turning 18 in August will make a difference cause he's still very much a boy in a mans body. With a little more experience I think he'll show that he was one of the top forwards in this draft.

That being said, I wouldnt be shocked if Rockstrom came in and persuaded our brass to take someone like Karlsson, Petrov or Grachev.

Old
06-10-2008, 04:09 PM
NYR469

RLR is not a fan of staal...they have him on their list of most overrated, worst skaters and worst hands. and have him ranked something like 112th

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:22 PM
broadwayblue

anyone watch that nhl network show on the combine last night? didn't see a single person affiliated with the Rangers there. wondering which kid "knocked the socks off" one of the GMs...was it Lombardi who wouldn't say?

the head of the whole scouting was really gushing over Pietrangelo....said he could very well turn out to be the best player from this draft if he puts it all together. hate to think he could be an islander pretty soon.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
RLR is not a fan of staal...they have him on their list of most overrated, worst skaters and worst hands. and have him ranked something like 112th
Redline also LOVED Jessiman, I never fail to mention that when Redline is brought up. And for the record, i don't see anyone overrate him. (except me maybe

Sounds like they made up their mind on the kid sometime ago. He didn't play as timid as he did earlier in his OHL career. Worst skaters? Don't listen to them if thats their assessment.

Old
06-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
You'd take Staal @ #20 over any one of a number of solid d-men that would be available there?

I think Staal's the darkhorse that someone over reaches for in the 12-19 range.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:36 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
You'd take Staal @ #20 over any one of a number of solid d-men that would be available there?

let's hope a bunch of teams in that range go off the board and leave some nice scraps on the table for us.

Old
06-10-2008, 04:37 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
let's hope a bunch of teams in that range go off the board and leave some nice scraps on the table for us.
I'd love to see Del Zotto or Bailey fall into our laps.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
TUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Eberle is a guy who I think is undervalued right now. When you look at the projected first round picks out of the CHL this year, he and Tyler Ennis scored more goals than anyone not named Stamkos.

Personally, I like Eberle more than Ennis though. Regina was about as offensivly challanged as the Rangers this season. I just think he's going to be a good NHL'er. Not a star per say, but a really solid player who will score.

Staal to me seems like a solid second round pick. His name works both for and against him. It get's him attention, probably more than a second rounder would but it also raises expectations unfairly.

Personally, I'd take him in the second round. He's a 6'3 winger who has shown he can score and is willing to work along the boards. He hasn't put it all together yet, but there is something there. Forgetting his last name for a second, you've got to take a look at a kid with his size who shows the flashes he has. You also have to set reasonable expectations.
Sounds exactly like Marcel Hossa to me ...

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post

I admit, it'll be hard to walk away from this draft without taking one of the touted Dmen available. Thats why I think we consider Karlsson, Teubert or whoever may be there at #20. Guys like Robak, Sbisa, Cuma, Ness, Gardner, etc don't seem to standout to me. Del Zotto is one guy i'd take a chnace with but I think he'll also go ahead of our pick.

Staal will go in the first round, between 20-30 somewhere.

Old
06-10-2008, 04:45 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Redline also LOVED Jessiman, I never fail to mention that when Redline is brought up. And for the record, i don't see anyone overrate him. (except me maybe

Sounds like they made up their mind on the kid sometime ago. He didn't play as timid as he did earlier in his OHL career. Worst skaters? Don't listen to them if thats their assessment.
there are lots of things in RLR that make me scratch my head and think that woodlief is just saying it to be different. but its still a very highly respected draft guide and i just thru that out as side note.

as for him being overrated, the arguement RLR makes is that he will be drafted in the late 1st/early 2nd round (most people i think have him gone well before our 2nd round pick) and RLR feels that if he was named Jared Smith he'd be going in the 3rd or 4th round based on his talent. Heck if he wasn't a Staal no one would even discuss him and he'd just be another random prospect.

someone will pick him higher than expected because of his brothers banking on him become a real player due to his pedigree and the smarts/work ethic/etc of his brother. BUT while that could label him as 'overrated' today, if he shares the same smarts, work ethic, etc that his brothers do there is a very high chance that the team that 'overrates' him will look like geniuses in 5 years....

at #20 i'm hoping that a more sure thing is available, but if we could get another late 1st/early 2nd i'd be willing to take that risk.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I'd welcome Staal as a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick, but if the Rangers can somehow land Wheeler, the need for a power forward with top 6 potential will be solved.

EDIT: I'd stay away from Del Zotto. He's Brian Campbell lite, but we have Bobby Sanguinetti in the wings. They are two very similar prospects IMO.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
I'd welcome Staal as a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick, but if the Rangers can somehow land Wheeler, the need for a power forward with top 6 potential will be solved.

EDIT: I'd stay away from Del Zotto. He's Brian Campbell lite, but we have Bobby Sanguinetti in the wings. They are two very similar prospects IMO.
If he's the BPA at 20, I'd take him in a heartbeat. If he develops as Bobby S has, you've got two offensive D-men, for an organization that's crying for them. At worst, you've got a valuable trade chip in today's game.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I wouldn't take Staal in the first round.

2nd or 3rd yes.

He is on my list of players i'd like.

But i wouldn't waste a first round pick on him when Ennis, Tedenby, Gustafsson, among other forwards who have a lot more skill and speed then Staal, will be on the board when we pick.

I also don't waste my first round pick on a defenseman when we still have Sanguinetti and Potter in Hartford, who can both earn a spot in the nest two years.

However, the lack of top end forwards means that we should be drafting a forward with our 1st round pick both this year and next.

We are pretty set at defense for a while, especially considering that we will not have all 6 spots made up of home grown players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:05 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If he's the BPA at 20, I'd take him in a heartbeat. If he develops as Bobby S has, you've got two offensive D-men, for an organization that's crying for them. At worst, you've got a valuable trade chip in today's game.
Yeah, if he's the BPA you take him. So what if he's similar to Sangs? Last time I checked there were 2 PP units...and that's assuming that both of them were to pan out, which is certainly not a sure thing.

Old
06-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
there are lots of things in RLR that make me scratch my head and think that woodlief is just saying it to be different. but its still a very highly respected draft guide and i just thru that out as side note.

as for him being overrated, the arguement RLR makes is that he will be drafted in the late 1st/early 2nd round (most people i think have him gone well before our 2nd round pick) and RLR feels that if he was named Jared Smith he'd be going in the 3rd or 4th round based on his talent. Heck if he wasn't a Staal no one would even discuss him and he'd just be another random prospect.

someone will pick him higher than expected because of his brothers banking on him become a real player due to his pedigree and the smarts/work ethic/etc of his brother. BUT while that could label him as 'overrated' today, if he shares the same smarts, work ethic, etc that his brothers do there is a very high chance that the team that 'overrates' him will look like geniuses in 5 years....

at #20 i'm hoping that a more sure thing is available, but if we could get another late 1st/early 2nd i'd be willing to take that risk.
Actually, you could do alot worse than redline, I get their draft report every year too. I'll never forgive them for making me drink the Jessiman coolaid though

To me Staal is the classic runt of the litter. Shy, timid and a bit of a late bloomer BECAUSE of his brothers. Thats not a knock against him, just happens with alot of siblings. Look at the expectations that he has to live up to. But it seems to be he and the Staal family have kept themselves grounded for the most part.

Jordan & Marc were both underrated for their drafts as well, though not as much as Jared. The problem is everyone looking for them to be superstars right away. With me, its all about progression. Did he improve from last year? Did he work on his weak areas? Has he matured mentally? Is he still maturing physically?

He's one of the youngest players in the draft, at this age thats important to look at. With his frame he'll be a player, just not sure what to expect from him yet but i'd take the gamble.

Old
06-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Nich

Quote:
Actually, you could do alot worse than redline, I get their draft report every year too. I'll never forgive them for making me drink the Jessiman coolaid though

To me Staal is the classic runt of the litter. Shy, timid and a bit of a late bloomer BECAUSE of his brothers. Thats not a knock against him, just happens with alot of siblings. Look at the expectations that he has to live up to. But it seems to be he and the Staal family have kept themselves grounded for the most part.

Jordan & Marc were both underrated for their drafts as well, though not as much as Jared. The problem is everyone looking for them to be superstars right away. With me, its all about progression. Did he improve from last year? Did he work on his weak areas? Has he matured mentally? Is he still maturing physically?

He's one of the youngest players in the draft, at this age thats important to look at. With his frame he'll be a player, just not sure what to expect from him yet but i'd take the gamble.
fine, take staal in round one...but can we take toews in round 2?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
fine, take staal in round one...but can we take toews in round 2?
Thats pushing it, only 1 family gamble per draft

I'm obvisouly a fan of Staal and we need big forwards, but if our scouts take an Tedenby, Eberle or Del Zotto I wouldnt be upset. I just have a hard time believing this draft is deep, especially at forward.

Old
06-10-2008, 05:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Tyler Ennis has become my favorite player in the draft behind Mattias Tedenby.

I hope we get this kid.

His skill and speed is flat out awesome and underrated.

I don't care about his size. He has a good attitude about it, it drives him to be better.

If we are concerned about smallish wingers, we can trade Callahan (who can't produce worth a lick) and Prucha (who keeps his head down). Ennis has a ton more talent then those two ever will.

He has the potential to be a real game breaker. Let him work out with NHL trainers and he will get stronger.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:23 PM
broadwayblue

Yeah, Ennis has some slick hands and wheels. Granted, it wasn't against NHL competition, but that kid has some sweet moves.

Old
06-10-2008, 05:30 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Ennis could very well be the steal of the draft. Has Brian Gionta potential IMO. I wouldn't say that some 30-30 seasons are out of reach for him. I'd take a flyer on him at #20 if Tedenby is off the board.

Unless a top 10 player falls into our laps again a la Cherepanov, the Rangers need forward prospects. I wouldn't have a problem with landing a Teubert, Del Zotto, or Carlson at all. However, I'm with PukkuMikku on this one, we need bluechip forwards in the system besides Anisimov and Cherepanov.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Ennis has got to get stronger. I see a little Briere in his game, but also some Prucha. He's from Edmonton, I know Slats likes him

Old
06-10-2008, 06:16 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Tyler Ennis has become my favorite player in the draft behind Mattias Tedenby.

I hope we get this kid.

His skill and speed is flat out awesome and underrated.

I don't care about his size. He has a good attitude about it, it drives him to be better.

If we are concerned about smallish wingers, we can trade Callahan (who can't produce worth a lick) and Prucha (who keeps his head down). Ennis has a ton more talent then those two ever will.

He has the potential to be a real game breaker. Let him work out with NHL trainers and he will get stronger.
Let's not put unproven players ahead of proven players, shall we?

Ryan Callahan is a very valuable asset to our club. Petr Prucha was and still could be. When this guy puts up 30 goals in an NHL uniform, you come talk to me about his skill.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
anyone watch that nhl network show on the combine last night? didn't see a single person affiliated with the Rangers there. wondering which kid "knocked the socks off" one of the GMs...was it Lombardi who wouldn't say?

the head of the whole scouting was really gushing over Pietrangelo....said he could very well turn out to be the best player from this draft if he puts it all together. hate to think he could be an islander pretty soon.
i saw it. it was a complete waste of time. nothing new there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote