HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread (continued)

Old
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
the one thing i do know is that considering next years draft is full of forwards, while this years draft is full of defenseman and the crazy thing is that the rangers needs now are defenseman and wingers....i think going the first two rounds of this year without grabbing a defenseman in a deep draft for defenseman like i said would be a mistake, as most likely if they dont take one this year, they will have to take one next year, when they may have to reach to find one....i say find a solid defenseman in the first round this year and a winger in the first round next year

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
If we are concerned about smallish wingers, we can trade Callahan (who can't produce worth a lick) and Prucha (who keeps his head down). Ennis has a ton more talent then those two ever will.
Yeah double digit goals in 66 games, a willingness to fight, kill penalties.

He's completely useless.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2008, 11:27 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
I wouldn't take Staal in the first round.

2nd or 3rd yes.

He is on my list of players i'd like.

But i wouldn't waste a first round pick on him when Ennis, Tedenby, Gustafsson, among other forwards who have a lot more skill and speed then Staal, will be on the board when we pick.

I also don't waste my first round pick on a defenseman when we still have Sanguinetti and Potter in Hartford, who can both earn a spot in the nest two years.

However, the lack of top end forwards means that we should be drafting a forward with our 1st round pick both this year and next.

We are pretty set at defense for a while, especially considering that we will not have all 6 spots made up of home grown players.
If you think Callahan is going anywhere you must be crazy. He's the type of player we should be bringing in, not getting rid of. Plus, he's homegrown and seems to love playing for this team.

I'm willing to bet he stays here for at least another 5 years. He has enough skill, and more importantly, the drive to make a big impact for us in the near future imo (guess you can say he already has made a noticeable one)

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Pizza

As much as I'd like to see skilled players with more size and grit added to the line up,
Callahan is one of those guys I liked immediately. I would like the Rangers to hang on to him for at least another year or so to see how he rounds out.

Just a great attitude to see in a Ranger uniform.

It's hard not to like a guy who gets seven hits in one shift. If we could just add a little size that does the same and scores a bit we would be headed in the right direction imo.

Jared Staal in the second round is sounding much better to me.

Beech's head problems (both physical and otherwise) have me leery of him.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Pizza

An interesting discussion on Beach here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=521860

I wonder how his interview with the Rangers went?

Old
06-11-2008, 03:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If he's the BPA at 20, I'd take him in a heartbeat. If he develops as Bobby S has, you've got two offensive D-men, for an organization that's crying for them. At worst, you've got a valuable trade chip in today's game.
I agree jas.

Also, Del Zottos strength is supposed to be his passing game -- like he is supposed to be more of a Zubov/Phil Housley type of QB then someone who joins the rush. Sangunettis passing game isn't his biggest strength. I really like the sound of Del Zotto too, but I've never seen him play.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 05:50 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I agree jas.

Also, Del Zottos strength is supposed to be his passing game -- like he is supposed to be more of a Zubov/Phil Housley type of QB then someone who joins the rush. Sangunettis passing game isn't his biggest strength. I really like the sound of Del Zotto too, but I've never seen him play.
One scout claimed that Del Zotto is not far off from Doughty; if he's on the board at #20, the Rangers should be running to the podium to select him.

I know the Rangers need more top six forwards, but if the BPA is a D-man, you have to take him. After Baranka's defection back to Europe, Sauer's injury, the fizzling out of Thomas Pock and, frankly, Tyuitn's 2nd half regression, I'm not comfortable with the depth on defense in the organization. They've drafted 1 D-man in the past two drafts, and this draft is supposedly teeming with quality D-men. If the right one is there for the taking, the Rangers have to go that direction.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Pizza

Agreed on Del Zotto.

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for this draft since it's so hyped and because we've been so fortunate the last few years.

I'm assuming he'll be long gone by then.

Old
06-11-2008, 08:47 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
An interesting discussion on Beach here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=521860

I wonder how his interview with the Rangers went?
i hope sather trades up to get him. we need a big player that actually has size and plays physical. he seems like a bigger avery

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:55 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Jess at Prospect Park finished up his mock draft -

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/

He has the Rangers taking Greg Neimsz

Quote:
We like Greg Neimsz of the Windsor Spitfires who needs work on skating, agility and mobility as well as adding some bulk. All of those are areas are correctable ones and we like Neimsz as a player who with is size (6'3) and low center of gravity will make him the ideal slot power forward.

Why not? We do not think the Rangers will take yet another smaller forward or another offensive minded defenseman which leaves Neimsz.

Old
06-11-2008, 09:20 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Yeah double digit goals in 66 games, a willingness to fight, kill penalties.

He's completely useless.
Callahan?

Where are you getting your stats from?

52 games played this year.

8 goals. Single digit.

13 points.

That is not productive.

Fight, kill penalties, can't produce... sounds an awful lot like a 4th line player, as i have been saying he is.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:21 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
If you think Callahan is going anywhere you must be crazy. He's the type of player we should be bringing in, not getting rid of. Plus, he's homegrown and seems to love playing for this team.

I'm willing to bet he stays here for at least another 5 years. He has enough skill, and more importantly, the drive to make a big impact for us in the near future imo (guess you can say he already has made a noticeable one)
What kind of impact? 8 goals?

Yes, he has a ton of heart.

Sometimes a ton of heart doesn't equate to productive player.

If he fails to even reach 10 goals next season, what will people be saying about him then?

Old
06-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Not big on the Neimisz pick from Jess. Guy had one of the worst plus minus on his team before he was traded. He had a terrible start, and after being moved to a better team, he came around and posted up better numbers. I think there will be better players available at 20th.

Interesting to see McKeens draft guide last night. As usual, they seem to have a much different view than most of the other scouting services. They have Beach in the 20's. Had Teubert in the low teens.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Cally is a 3rd line power forward that has shown a knack to score when it's needed. A team like the Rangers needs more players with the heart and soul of a Callahan; he's not going anywhere.

PM: He also played in 10 PO games and had an another 4 points (2 & 2) and was a +3. In his Rangers career, he has played in 66 regular season games with 12 goals and 7 assists, plus another 20 PO games with 4 goals and 3 assists. Yes, he's not Peter Forsberg, but his overall game is a keeper. He's all of 23, no need to assign him to the 4th line just yet.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Callahan?

8 goals. Single digit.

13 points.

That is not productive.

Fight, kill penalties, can't produce... sounds an awful lot like a 4th line player, as i have been saying he is.
He's played 66 games in his career. He's got 12 goals in that time period. Is he an untouchable? Hardly, but, he's easily a 3rd line RW. He'll hit 20 goals a couple of times in his career.

Old
06-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Nich

we have to take a d man in the first 2 rounds. if he falls, go for it, if not i want the kid that is going to north dakota in the 2nd round

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 09:59 AM
NYR Viper

i hope the rangers can somehow hang onto their first and add a second and draft a defenseman like teubert or del zotto in the first and two winger like staal and paquette in the second....that would be ideal

Old
06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i hope the rangers can somehow hang onto their first and add a second and draft a defenseman like teubert or del zotto in the first and two winger like staal and paquette in the second....that would be ideal
That's what I'm hoping to see happen. I would hope the Rangers trade down, though, if there isn't someone there that they have to have.

Old
06-11-2008, 10:07 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping to see happen. I would hope the Rangers trade down, though, if there isn't someone there that they have to have.
agreed....although i think there are enough players that should be available at 20 that they should take

Old
06-11-2008, 10:24 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
agreed....although i think there are enough players that should be available at 20 that they should take
I really like the idea of trading down to #28 (LA's 2nd 1st round they got from Dallas), and picking up additional 2nd round pick. Getting #28 and #32, for example, would allow the Rangers to gamble on someone like Petrov, and then take someone safe like Staal.

Old
06-11-2008, 10:34 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I really like the idea of trading down to #28 (LA's 2nd 1st round they got from Dallas), and picking up additional 2nd round pick. Getting #28 and #32, for example, would allow the Rangers to gamble on someone like Petrov, and then take someone safe like Staal.
i agree, although i wouldnt take petrov with one of those picks...too shaky to waste a pick....i would like to get staal and paquette, however i would really like to get a big, mean, physical defenseman with one of the picks

Old
06-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Thats what I said many posts ago in the Draft thread. LA seems like the best partners for a trade down.

Not sure if Staal will make it to the 2nd round though.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Callahan?

8 goals. Single digit.

13 points.

That is not productive.

12 career goals in 66 NHL games.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=71756

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 10:49 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I like Callahan, but as a player i really am not too high on him.

I hope he proves otherwise. And i would be thrilled.

Old
06-11-2008, 10:49 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Thats what I said many posts ago in the Draft thread. LA seems like the best partners for a trade down.

Not sure if Staal will make it to the 2nd round though.
Not if you're at a draft table that night.