HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread (continued)

Old
06-11-2008, 11:01 AM
NYR469

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
He's played 66 games in his career. He's got 12 goals in that time period. Is he an untouchable? Hardly, but, he's easily a 3rd line RW. He'll hit 20 goals a couple of times in his career.
and that includes 18 games without a goal after returning from his knee injury...take out those 18 games, you could say that 'when healthy' cally has 12 goals in 48 games. which over a full 82 game season would give him 20 goals when healthy.

whether he is a good 3rd liner or really really good 4th line isn't exactly a high priority when it comes to fixing this team...get me 6 wingers better than him and he can become a '4th liner' but right now with avery, jagr, shanny, straka, dawes, etc unsigned cally might currently be our #1 winger. so its pretty tough to justify demoting him to the 4th line till we actually have guys signed to play ahead of him.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:05 AM
NYR469

Quote:
I really like the idea of trading down to #28 (LA's 2nd 1st round they got from Dallas), and picking up additional 2nd round pick. Getting #28 and #32, for example, would allow the Rangers to gamble on someone like Petrov, and then take someone safe like Staal.
depends on who is still on the board at #20. but i'm not sure petrov will still be there at #20 no less 28...its an interesting option though

Old
06-11-2008, 11:08 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i agree, although i wouldnt take petrov with one of those picks...too shaky to waste a pick....i would like to get staal and paquette, however i would really like to get a big, mean, physical defenseman with one of the picks
as far as forwards go, he is the guy most likely to fall (besides beach) and could be a potential steal at that point (similar to cherry last year). so far the biggest concern i've heard about him is the risk of getting him out of russia. at #20 there might be safer picks that make it not worth the risk. but if we move down and add extra picks to grab a 'safer' pick with him then it might be worth the risk considering we need highly skilled forwards.

Old
06-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Not if you're at a draft table that night.

I'm that obvious?

Seriously, I don't expect us to take Staal at #20 if we stay there. And i'm ok with that. Like i said, this is a draft to take Dmen who have potential. The forwards are really lacking, just look at what Europe is offering - not a whole lot IMO. Plus there are very few forwards who have size and ability. I just think Staal being one of the youngest 1990 birthdates still has 1st round potential we havent seen yet.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 11:47 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
as far as forwards go, he is the guy most likely to fall (besides beach) and could be a potential steal at that point (similar to cherry last year). so far the biggest concern i've heard about him is the risk of getting him out of russia. at #20 there might be safer picks that make it not worth the risk. but if we move down and add extra picks to grab a 'safer' pick with him then it might be worth the risk considering we need highly skilled forwards.
i agree that he is likely to fall....and IMO i think he will go in the mid-late 2nd round...especially with all of the depth this draft has.....i wouldnt take him any higher than 30, as i think there are other players in the top 30 who i like better(maybe not skillwise but overall)...if the rangers were to trade down i would rather get staal first and then i would be ok with getting petrov as the other second and then paquette or a defenseman as the third and late second

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:20 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm that obvious?

Seriously, I don't expect us to take Staal at #20 if we stay there. And i'm ok with that. Like i said, this is a draft to take Dmen who have potential. The forwards are really lacking, just look at what Europe is offering - not a whole lot IMO. Plus there are very few forwards who have size and ability. I just think Staal being one of the youngest 1990 birthdates still has 1st round potential we havent seen yet.
Hey, why we all have our favorites....Patrik Berglund, anyone?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
I'm that obvious?

He's also been touted as the most naturally talented of the 4. I think he's worth a shot, not just at #20.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 12:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
He's also been touted as the most naturally talented of the 4. I think he's worth a shot, not just at #20.
i absolutely agree...would love to aquire a low second, like 32 from LA to get him

Old
06-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Its all relative though, if you feel hes the best player available you take him.

You telling me Central scouting has never been wrong ?

Old
06-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Its all relative though, if you feel hes the best player available you take him.

You telling me Central scouting has never been wrong ?
Only as often as RLR & ISS!

Here's the crazy thing, we will take BPA. It's the way our front office works. We almost never draft for position, so it's going to be a real crap shoot. It's the same with 90% of the teams in front of us. Yes, we may think Atlanta NEEDS a d-man, but they won't pass on a Filatov, they'd be crazy to. Same thing down the line.

If some one reaches for Carlson, Colborne, or Staal, that means one of the other coveted players is likely to fall to us, and we'll grab him if he's a center, LW, RW, or D, and we'll burn this place down arguing why "we" were right (which is half the fun).

Just once I'd like to see the Rangers draft board after a draft, I bet we'd all be stunned at how they rated some players.

Old
06-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i absolutely agree...would love to aquire a low second, like 32 from LA to get him
What if Philly decides to take him at #27?

Old
06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
then he is gone and id take someone else like jokinen or a defenseman who is left over from the first round....either way in the early second there is a chance that a very good player could drop...heck, maybe petrov this year is the anisimov of this year and wants to come over immediately

Old
06-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
See my post above. It means that Philly had Staal higher than we did, but it also probably means that someone else we covet is still there. I really doubt that teams trade up or down SOLELY based on getting a single player. They must have contingencies in place that if player A isn't available, they'd be happy with players B, C, or D.

Old
06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
See my post above. It means that Philly had Staal higher than we did, but it also probably means that someone else we covet is still there. I really doubt that teams trade up or down SOLELY based on getting a single player. They must have contingencies in place that if player A isn't available, they'd be happy with players B, C, or D.
Most of the time a team trades up to take an exact player they are targeting, at least from what i've heard over the last 17 years of following the draft.

Old
06-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Most of the time a team trades up to take an exact player they are targeting, at least from what i've heard over the last 17 years of following the draft.
Right, but there are times when they can't quite get there in time, or there's at least the chance. So they must have a plan b.

Old
06-11-2008, 02:16 PM
NYR469

Quote:
that is FALSE...that was written in THN before eric's draft year when jared was like 11-12 years old and its been noted countless times that the guy meant to say jordan was the most talented but put jared in error. but its still constantly brought up as fact...as if his talent level at 12 years old means squat anyway.

Old
06-11-2008, 02:19 PM
NYR469

Quote:
if you trade DOWN then you are taking the risk that the player you want will be gone. but normally if you are trading down there isn't a player you love that much and often you have a group of guys you are looking at so as long as you are guaranteed to get 1 of them its ok.

but when you trade UP you sure as heck do it trying to get 1 specific player. thats why teams don't make trades to move up weeks before the draft instead they make the trade 2 minutes before making the pick when they see that their guy is still on the board.

Old
06-11-2008, 03:13 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469 View Post
if you trade DOWN then you are taking the risk that the player you want will be gone. but normally if you are trading down there isn't a player you love that much and often you have a group of guys you are looking at so as long as you are guaranteed to get 1 of them its ok.

but when you trade UP you sure as heck do it trying to get 1 specific player. thats why teams don't make trades to move up weeks before the draft instead they make the trade 2 minutes before making the pick when they see that their guy is still on the board.
If Beach is there in the 12-13 range we should trade UP to get him. Otherwise I'd like to take Petrov, Grachev or Colborne intrigues me.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
If Beach is there in the 12-13 range we should trade UP to get him. Otherwise I'd like to take Petrov, Grachev or Colborne intrigues me.
Colborne=Jessiman II

Old
06-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Forechecker

All this talk of trading up 8 to 10 spots is kind of insane. When was the last time a team moved more than a handful of spots, say more than 5?

Old
06-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
All this talk of trading up 8 to 10 spots is kind of insane. When was the last time a team moved more than a handful of spots, say more than 5?
That was one of my first posts in this thread, it almost never happens. Flyers traded up into the top 5 for Pitkanen. We traded up in the '99 draft, so did Vancouver to take the Sedins(special circumstance).

Most teams are not looking to trade down, thats why its rare when it happens more than just 5 or 6 spots.

Old
06-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
That was one of my first posts in this thread, it almost never happens. Flyers traded up into the top 5 for Pitkanen. We traded up in the '99 draft, so did Vancouver to take the Sedins(special circumstance).

Most teams are not looking to trade down, thats why its rare when it happens more than just 5 or 6 spots.
How many did we jump to grab Staal in '05? 3?

Old
06-11-2008, 03:42 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Colborne=Jessiman II
Pretty much what I expected to hear from people here. Why is that, because he's big? Every player is different.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:43 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
How many did we jump to grab Staal in '05? 3?
4. 16--->12

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Pretty much what I expected to hear from people here. Why is that, because he's big? Every player is different.
Umm, yeah. His size is what has ranked so high. Reminds me of Geoff Paukovich & Victor Oreskovich, look them up, Colborne should be drafted where they were picked cause I see the same type of player.

And like Jessiman, he's more of a playmaker than a goal scorer.