Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Welcome your Texas Stars

Old
06-14-2008, 10:09 AM
AustinHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Per Brian R. of the Dallas Stars -

The Stars are hoping to have ticket pricing and a website out "sometime in August." Once the website is up, they should have more information about the specifics of the Cedar Park Event Center, the season ticket packages, and the pricing. Nothing is finalized, but they will likely have full, half, and partial season ticket packages available. The $100 you put down on a waiting list will go toward your future season ticket package.

No word on merchandise yet, though once the website is up, and online store is planned.

AustinHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 02:34 AM
ScubaSteve*

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Austin Snipers

too soon?

Golden.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:38 AM
starsfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I don't live in Lubbock, but Longview is much closer to Austin than Lubbock. It's not a state team, rather it's a local team. There's even another AHL team in Texas.
You live in Longview? I just moved from Longview to Houston, lived there for ten years.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:40 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan4ever View Post
You live in Longview? I just moved from Longview to Houston, lived there for ten years.
That would be me.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:03 AM
starsfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
That would be me.
Yeah I went to Spring Hill High School, just graduated year of '08. Going to a community college for a year here in Houston (family moved down here)

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan4ever View Post
Yeah I went to Spring Hill High School, just graduated year of '08. Going to a community college for a year here in Houston (family moved down here)
Went to LHS, graduated '07.

(to keep this topic on track) Anyone willing to guess which division the Stars are put in?

Houston and San Antonio are both in the West Division of the Western Conference, so I'm assuming that's where they'd be put (even though there's like 8 teams in it already).

Old
06-19-2008, 01:16 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
I hate the name. It should be the Austin Stars or the Cedar Park Stars. I realize they are trying to 'capture the entire state,' but let us be reasonable. No one in, for instance, Lubbock, is going to go to a Texas Stars game in Austin. No one in Houston will either.

Better yet, maybe it should be called the Austin Bensons. The Austin Free Rides? The Austin We Let Everybody In?

/rant
Austin Healeys?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Mx

Send a message via AIM to Mx
Quote:
I hate the name. It should be the Austin Stars or the Cedar Park Stars. I realize they are trying to 'capture the entire state,' but let us be reasonable. No one in, for instance, Lubbock, is going to go to a Texas Stars game in Austin. No one in Houston will either.

Better yet, maybe it should be called the Austin Bensons. The Austin Free Rides? The Austin We Let Everybody In?

/rant
I'm sure there are Texas Rangers fans in Lubbock.

Mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Chad_

Yeah, and Lubbock is just a couple of minutes from Houston too. That wasn't the point though. It's dumb to call a team with other professional teams within the same league a state team. It isn't. And there's a far cry between a minor league team and a professional sports franchise. Minor league teams, for the most part, don't draw in fans from the entire state, whereas professional teams do, not to mention television rights that are beamed throughout the carrier's region for a pro. team versus very little to none for a minor league team.

The reason for the name is just marketing, and bad marketing for a minor league team at that. Nothing more, nothing less.

But to answer your guess, there are Rangers fans in Lubbock. I was one for five years, but not because I felt the Rangers were competing for state pride.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 07:29 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I didn't even know that there were Texas Rangers fans in Dallas

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 03:59 AM
dstarrs

I really hope that this helps build up the hockey culture around the Austin area, considering that there are only 2 rinks to actually play hockey at this will be a much welcomed change.

dstarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Mx

Send a message via AIM to Mx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
I didn't even know that there were Texas Rangers fans in Dallas
Actually, I'm one of only three known Texas Rangers fans in existence. We're like the Yeti.

Mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Brian28

I know Dallas is trying to get an AHL franchise. I was wondering if you knew if the AHL was creating another franchise for Dallas or are they buying one off someone else?

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:19 AM
BigG44

I thought this was a great promo pic for bringing pro hockey to Austin:

This one too:

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 11:45 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

the Stars Organization has had great advertising the past couple years. That is for sure

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
the Stars Organization has had great advertising the past couple years. That is for sure
100% agree.

They take shots, but not too bold of shots. Funny ones infact.

Gonna have to take a trip down to Austin once the team starts up next season. Yay we finally have our own team...and it's close!

Old
02-09-2009, 01:22 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
That logo still annoys me. Something like this would've been cool IMO.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 09:28 AM
BigG44

What are the chances Stu Barnes is coaching for the Texas Stars next year?

Think about it. They had him coach defensemen at the Traverse City Tournament, and he's mainly responsible for the rookies in Dallas.

He'd get more experience behind the bench in the AHL then in the box in the NHL. Besides, who wouldn't want this guy rubbing off on Dallas' prospects.

They should get Sydor down their too. Barnes with the forwards and Sydor with the defensemen.

Old
02-10-2009, 09:48 AM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
What are the chances Stu Barnes is coaching for the Texas Stars next year?

Think about it. They had him coach defensemen at the Traverse City Tournament, and he's mainly responsible for the rookies in Dallas.

He'd get more experience behind the bench in the AHL then in the box in the NHL. Besides, who wouldn't want this guy rubbing off on Dallas' prospects.

They should get Sydor down their too. Barnes with the forwards and Sydor with the defensemen.
I'd be all for this (both Barnes and Sydor). Groom Barnes for an NHL head coach job one day down the line?

Last edited by theheadmata: 02-10-2009 at 09:57 AM.
theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 12:04 PM
________

vCash: 205
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I'm guessing the coach will be Derek Laxdal.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 08:43 AM
BigG44

Guys like Jamie Benn, Colton Sceviour, and Ondrej Roman seem to be a lock for the Texas Stars next year.

What do you think the Stars will do with their other WHL prospect, Matt Tassone? Despite the fact he was drafted a year after those guys, he's only two months younger than Benn (Born late September).

Tassone would be permitted to play in the AHL next year though because he will be 20 by December 31st. Do the Stars sign him and play him with the Texas Stars or should he stay in the WHL next year?

On the Stars, he’ll be at most a 3rd line player behind Wandell, Lindgren, Benn, Sceviour, Roman, and probably Korostin. Not to mention Conner or Wilson even Sawada could still be in the AHL. Another year in the WHL will allow Tassone to play top minutes in all situations, but the competition won't be as tough. Plus, he'll have the advantage of being older and more physically developed than quite a few of those guys.

I think Dallas should hold off on the contract, bring him to camp, and go from there. If Benn or Sawada make the NHL, it might be worth signing him and sending him to the AHL. I think you definitely do it if they both make the NHL. If Benn and Sawada can't make Dallas' lineup, Tassone should go to back to Swift Current though.

Old
02-13-2009, 11:18 AM
map94

I expect Dallas to give him a contract this summer. The only reason I see for him playing in the AHL next year is if Dallas thinks the WHL competition is not a challenge for him. I don't think that will be the case.

To add to you list, I'd bet Lammers gets a contract this summer and plays in Austin. Gazdic and/or Michael Neal could get contracts this summer. Either wouldn't surprise me since the team will need some depth players to fill out the AHL roster. Guys that get called up from the ECHL when AHL players get called up.

Conner becomes a group 6 UFA unless he hits 80 NHL games this season. I believe he still needs about 27 more games, which is probably more than he will get. If he becomes and UFA, he might be hard to keep. He's not an NHL player in my mind, but he's a great AHL player. He might have more chance of staying in the NHL on a team with less depth.

Anyone have any idea what happened to Alexander Naurov? He should still be under contract with the team this year, but I don't see where he's playing.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I don't think it matters where Narov is playing. He's a bust of epic proportions.

Lammers will get a contract. He started off pretty hot in Houston and has shown at least some scoring prowess at the AHL level. They'll be looking for bodies, I can't imagine they'll turn away a guy already with them. I seriously doubt either M. Neal or Gadzic gets a contract. They'll pick up a vetern AHLer or two to "lead" the guys before signing and giving contract bonuses to either of these spares.

Tassone will stay with Swift Current. Just like Beskorwany probably will stay with the Owen Sound. The defense is where it gets interesting.

Ludwig-Fortunus
Stafford-Vishnevskiy
Jancevski-Monast

I guess are the top six (ignore their order). But Vishnevskiy is going to push for a spot in Dallas. This also assumes Fistric claims a full time job with the big club. They'll almost certainly sign another guy or two as well. They could make room for Larsen but he might be better off with another year playing top minutes at Frolunda.

So I expect something like this. Please understand the line combinations are just throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.

Benn-Wandell-Korostin
Lammers-Roman-Sceviour
Wathier-Lindgren-Shelast
Gagnon

Plus two. Either college guys they sign or older AHLers for leadership. Sawada may be here, but he's just as likely to earn one of the 4th line spots in Dallas next year as well. His right shot, right wing ability might give him the inside track over more talented players like Benn.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 03:36 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Ludwig-Fortunus
Stafford-Vishnevskiy
Jancevski-Monast
There's a small chance Hutchinson plays there. I think with his contract and play this year though that he will at least be a 7th defenseman for Dallas.

Old
02-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Captain Awesome

I think Hutchinson has done a decent enough job this year that he could be a 6th. I keep hearing he isn't bad offensively but I haven't seen much in the way of that.

Maybe it was the horror that is the TRaverse City tournament, but I just cant see Vishnevski making the Stars, that kid needs to learn defense in the worst way.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote