HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Olli Jokinen likely heading to Columbus

Old
06-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
You sacrifice a couple years of 1st round picks and bundle that up with someone who is not Zherdev or Nash to get Jokinen.
JM has already gone on record that he won't trade Jokinen for picks to help the team 3 years from now at the earliest. If he trades Olli it will be to get a player back that could help the team now. If picks are the center part of any deal JM won't pull the trigger. There has to be an NHL caliber player who is good enough to play on the top line coming back. It does not mean it has to be as good a player as Olli is, it can be someone who is one step below Olli & a pick or something like that. But it's not going to be someone that can't play 1st line either. Remember, JM does not have to trade Olli.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Maggle Cole
VINTAGE WWE APP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
JM has already gone on record that he won't trade Jokinen for picks to help the team 3 years from now at the earliest. If he trades Olli it will be to get a player back that could help the team now. If picks are the center part of any deal JM won't pull the trigger. There has to be an NHL caliber player who is good enough to play on the top line coming back. It does not mean it has to be as good a player as Olli is, it can be someone who is one step below Olli & a pick or something like that. But it's not going to be someone that can't play 1st line either. Remember, JM does not have to trade Olli.
I'm pretty sure Martin said if he trades Jokinen a 1st round pick has to be part of the return.

"If the Panthers swing a deal for Jokinen, expect an impact player coming back in return, with a depth guy and a first round draft pick as well."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/

Maggle Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:37 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindeadalive View Post
Why would Columbus want a goal scoring center when they desperately need a playmaker for Nash?
Quite frankly they have to take what the market gives then.

While Jokinen may not be ideal for Nash this guy is a consistant scorer and the Jackets were 2nd to last in that department in the entire NHL last season.

Paired with Nash or not, they could certainly use this guy's scoring punch. I'm not sure why the Jackets have seemingly crossed him off their list.

Ideally though, they need to get Nash a playmaker. I would love to see what a guy like Savard could do with him.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
You guys are making this way to complicated. Van Ryn, Peltonen, Stewart aren't neccessary.

Columbus would not be interested in anything other than Jokinen -- even then it appears they aren't interested.
Okay, I will make it simpler then.

To Columbus:
Olli Jokinen + Anthony Stewart

To Florida:
Nikolai Zherdev + 6th Overall pick

Old
06-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Pascal

Poor Jokinen, going from a bad team to another. Tho the Jackets are an upgrade.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Maggle Cole
VINTAGE WWE APP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Quite frankly they have to take what the market gives then.

While Jokinen may not be ideal for Nash this guy is a consistant scorer and the Jackets were 2nd to last in that department in the entire NHL last season.

Paired with Nash or not, they could certainly use this guy's scoring punch. I'm not sure why the Jackets have seemingly crossed him off their list.

Ideally though, they need to get Nash a playmaker. I would love to see what a guy like Savard could do with him.
Savard would probally be the Jackets best option (since the Bruins have the center depth to move him), signing Gomez would have been a great idea last offseason.

Maggle Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Saad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I would think they would like to keep Zherdev and maybe give up a 2nd line guy and a 1st for Jokinen. Coulbus in my mind really needs to keep Zherdev and Nash to go along with Jokinen (if they get him).
Congrats. That's the worst spelling of Columbus in the history of everything..

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindeadalive View Post
I'm pretty sure Martin said if he trades Jokinen a 1st round pick has to be part of the return.

"If the Panthers swing a deal for Jokinen, expect an impact player coming back in return, with a depth guy and a first round draft pick as well."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/
Yeah, but the trade is not going to center around that 1st pick. It's not going to be a 1st pick+, it's going to be a good player+1st pick. That 1st pick is not going to be the best part of the deal for the Panthers, that I can Guarantee. That's all I was trying to imply. JM wants to win now, not 3 years from now.

Old
06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
I really don't see anything from Columbus that would attract Florida other than Nash, and that probably won't happen. Zherdev is overrated and we already have an underachieving winger in Nathan Horton. The 6th overall is meh, doesn't help us immediately so it gives little to no value for this team right now.

And who the hell would be our number one center? This deal won't happen, Strachan is a ****ing moron.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:53 AM
goliath5151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
The point is Trading Zherdev+ for Jokinen doesnt make sense for Columbus.
Trading Jokinen for anything less than Zherdev+ is not enough for JM

THEREFOR the trade doesnt happen!!

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:04 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsAlive View Post
Watching The Spin on The Score right now and Strachan said Jokinen will defiantly not be in Florida next season and that he will most likely be traded to Columbus.
If Al said it there must be something behind. He generally knows what is going on ie Pronger trade. Not sure it will prove out but there must be talks of some sort

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I think it's too much...if I was Columbus, I wouldn't do it. Zherdev just had a good season, and the 6th overall pick will bring a pretty good star player.
You don't pass on significant immediate impact because of something that may or may not come to fruition three years down the road. What is sacrificed in the interim makes it not worth it.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:18 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath5151 View Post
The point is Trading Zherdev+ for Jokinen doesnt make sense for Columbus.
Trading Jokinen for anything less than Zherdev+ is not enough for JM

THEREFOR the trade doesnt happen!!
We have a winner.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
Congrats. That's the worst spelling of Columbus in the history of everything..

I saw that...klumbus would have been worse. As for trading that 6th pick this is not an every day draft, our 6th pick and Zherdev is possible but I don't think it will never happen for OJ. Although I want to keep Klesla I'd consider him, the 19th and Picard but that's as far as I'd go.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:28 AM
DougKnowsBest

its absurd to include zherdev or nash in any deal.

our team may suck, but we aint stupid

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Poor Jokinen. If this is true, he'll go from one mediocre club to another, and still not make the playoffs.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
its absurd to include zherdev or nash in any deal.

our team may suck, but we aint stupid
Yet Florida are?

Zim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
CBJFan827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Yet Florida are?
Actually, I don't count JM's intelligence to be much more than a rock, in all honesty.Nice fractured English, by the way. It really helps your case.

I also don't see this deal happening. As someone earlier said: Columbus won't include Zherdev in the deal. Florida won't do the deal without Zherdev. Therefore, the deal won't happen. Strachan's wrong and needs to just shut up.

Have a nice day, everybody.

CBJFan827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:47 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan827 View Post
Actually, I don't count JM's intelligence to be much more than a rock, in all honesty.Nice fractured English, by the way. It really helps your case.

I also don't see this deal happening. As someone earlier said: Columbus won't include Zherdev in the deal. Florida won't do the deal without Zherdev. Therefore, the deal won't happen. Strachan's wrong and needs to just shut up.

Have a nice day, everybody.
Sorry but that's a ludicrous statement in my mind. If Zherdev is really the stumbling block in getting Olli Jokinen, Scott Howson should be fired ASAP.

Last edited by hototogisu: 06-12-2008 at 11:16 AM.
hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Rocket91*

If this happens i really do feel sorry for Jokinen he just might be the only elite player in his nhl carear to never make the playoffs.

Rocket91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:30 AM
FiveHole23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket91 View Post
If this happens i really do feel sorry for Jokinen he just might be the only elite player in his nhl carear to never make the playoffs.
What makes you think he as a worst shot in Columbus than in Florida?

Granted I know little about Florida's situation but Columbus' is looking up.

Just cleared dead weight to add some proven not over the hill talent.
Plenty of prospects for trading and turning the corner into NHL talent.
New management, has already made many small decent moves which impacted the team in a positive way.
New coach(proven coach) and players buying into the system.

What's Florida got going for it besides rumors about them trying to trade their star for prospects and picks?

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
What makes you think he as a worst shot in Columbus than in Florida?

Granted I know little about Florida's situation but Columbus' is looking up.

Just cleared dead weight to add some proven not over the hill talent.
Plenty of prospects for trading and turning the corner into NHL talent.
New management, has already made many small decent moves which impacted the team in a positive way.
New coach(proven coach) and players buying into the system.

What's Florida got going for it besides rumors about them trying to trade their star for prospects and picks?
Plenty, people just like to rag on teams they know little about. Florida's missed the playoffs for 8 years, we get it, thanks. Why does there need to be so many posts about people "Feeling sorry" (no you don't) for Olli if he goes to Colombous in the same thread? It adds nothing to the discussion.

06-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Sorry but that's a ludicrous statement in my mind. If Zherdev is really the stumbling block in getting Olii Jokinen, Scott Howson should be fired ASAP.
Not sure how many CBJ games you caught last year, but Zherdev scored 90% of what OJ did, on a worse team, with worse linemates (and that's saying something). If Zherdev is incluced with the 6th pick for Marleau or Jokinen, I don't think CLM is significantly improving their offense, which is what they need to do.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:49 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Not sure how many CBJ games you caught last year, but Zherdev scored 90% of what OJ did, on a worse team, with worse linemates (and that's saying something). If Zherdev is incluced with the 6th pick for Marleau or Jokinen, I don't think CLM is significantly improving their offense, which is what they need to do.
I'm too lazy to look at HockeyDB but I believe last year was OJ's career-lowest year for a full 82 games and it was Zherdev's best - and OJ still came out on top. But disregarding that - Columbus gets rid of a guy who was as little as a year ago a proven headache for a legitimate first-line centre who's usually hovering around the 80-90 point mark. They also (finally) get someone to play with Rick Nash...who cares if it's not that ideal playmaking center they've dreamed of? Who do they have as their first line center going into next year...Manny Malhotra?

If Columbus is worried about losing their secondary scoring, finding a guy to put up 30g/60p like they had with Zherdev is not impossible. Hell sign Michael Ryder n the offseason for cheap and hope for the best. Guys like Jokinen, on the other hand, are much more difficult to come by.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:53 AM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Plenty, people just like to rag on teams they know little about. Florida's missed the playoffs for 8 years, we get it, thanks. Why does there need to be so many posts about people "Feeling sorry" (no you don't) for Olli if he goes to Colombous in the same thread? It adds nothing to the discussion.
surely being down south youve heard of Columbus, Georgia? its the same spelling up north

i feel your pain on about people ragging on teams they know little about. i think Columbus is a lot closer to the playoffs than people are giving them credit for

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote