HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYPost - "Rangers Eye Wheeler"

Old
06-12-2008, 03:23 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Low Risk, High Reward. If he doesn't work out, all well...we didnt lose anything in the process of getting him...if he works out, then Sather looks like a genius and we got ourself a solid player while giving up nothing.

I'll definitely take a gamble on him.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
6'4 220 lbs of non physical hockey player.

I honestly don't mind the Rangers taking a flyer on him, but he's not the power forward people want this team to acquire.

Also, I'm a little confused about Wheelers status. Is he completely an UFA now? He could sign today? I guess that'd make sense because he has never ever signed a pro contract, so he has no need to wait until July 1st. For some reason I was thinking teams weren't allowed to speak to him until then and found it strange he was talking to teams.

edit: Also interesting is that line about Jagr not speaking to Sather...but it doesn't say whether Jagr himself just hasn't spoken to Sather, or that his agent also hasn't spoken to Sather. If Sather and Jagr's agent are negotiating, no big deal. If not...I'm kind of annoyed.
It says in the article that he can't sign until July 1.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 03:37 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
He's an idiot if he takes any NHL team at their word that they'll "guarantee him a roster spot". They don't need to do that at all and can easily send him down even if he was promised a spot. It's impossible to put it in writing, the CBA would forbid something like that.
umm. Its called a no movement clause. Drury has it. So I guess its not impossible after all!

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 03:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrials View Post
Although he was probably impressed with the facilities and other things the organization showed him, I would be surprised if he did wind up signing here. There have to be other teams that have basically promised him an NHL roster spot, and I just can't see the Rangers doing that for Wheeler. It would be nice to add him to our organizational depth, but I can't see Sather going too far to get him here.
Straka and Shanahan are definitely gone.

Theres two spots open right off the bat.

Jagr and Avery may not return.

There are two more potential spots.

We can't bank on Sjostrom who is a RFA, either.

Half our forwards are either UFA or RFA.

Dawes, Shanahan, Jagr, Avery, Straka, Sjostrom. That is 6 of 12.

Out of the 6 the only real definite to return is Dawes.

Basically 5 potential spots for him to earn.

There is plenty of opportunity for a young player to play himself onto the club full time.

Old
06-12-2008, 03:43 PM
NYReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Low Risk, High Reward. If he doesn't work out, all well...we didnt lose anything in the process of getting him...if he works out, then Sather looks like a genius and we got ourself a solid player while giving up nothing.

I'll definitely take a gamble on him.
Couldn't have said it better. Rolling the dice especially for so little money on untapped potential is in no way a bad gamble.

With that said, it won't break our offseason to not get him so I'll just file this one away under Wait & See.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Pnut

Quote:
He's an idiot if he takes any NHL team at their word that they'll "guarantee him a roster spot". They don't need to do that at all and can easily send him down even if he was promised a spot. It's impossible to put it in writing, the CBA would forbid something like that.
I root for a team that he would have a great shot at making a spot on the big club, and no its not the devils or rangers
and also Wheeler played with Kyle Okposo in Minnesota, so if they were good buddies it might be a start

Just remember that this is the NY Post here, they are almost as bad as that Ek guy. (that says alot) There will be a few teams in for his services except Pho and the Wild ,their GM said that they werent going to go after him

Last edited by Pnut: 06-12-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Straka and Shanahan are definitely gone.
are you sure about that, i heard somewhere (recently)that Straka might still try to resign with NYR

Quote:
Jagr and Avery may not return..
Avery might come to the Islanders

Quote:
There is plenty of opportunity for a young player to play himself onto the club full time.
There is plenty of opportunities for any team to get him, maybe he likes the big city, so he picks the Rangers, maybe he visits Washington and likes it there, etc....My whole point is any of us can guess it doesnt mean we know what this kid wants

I can definitley say as an Isles fan that Wade Dubie, Satan, Tank and Vasi are not coming back to the Island..........Snow said so to Newsday. Did you here from Sather about these guys?

Old
06-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
are you sure about that, i heard somewhere (recently)that Straka might still try to resign with NYR

There is plenty of opportunities for any team to get him, maybe he likes the big city, so he picks the Rangers, maybe he visits Washington and likes it there, etc....My whole point is any of us can guess it doesnt mean we know what this kid wants

I can definitley say as an Isles fan that Wade Dubie, Satan, Tank and Vasi are not coming back to the Island..........Snow said so to Newsday. Did you here from Sather about these guys?
no offense but I highly doubt the Islanders Managment are even looking at him, they already have enough 3rd liners, no offense but i just cant see it happening on the Isles part.

And I agree with your first statment, I do think Shanny AND Straka are both coming back next year.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:09 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
no offense but I highly doubt the Islanders Managment are even looking at him, they already have enough 3rd liners, no offense but i just cant see it happening on the Isles part.

And I agree with your first statment, I do think Shanny AND Straka are both coming back next year.
Avery is a great fit for the Islanders. Firstly, NYI can overpay...and overpay some more. The Rangers cannot compete on how much the Isles could offer him. Secondly, it's still the NYC area. Sean can still do his Avery show just a few miles west and still make it back in time to bang an Olsen.

Lastly, although he really is a great third liner in my eyes, he isn't exactly out of place on the 2nd line. He would most definately fit in the top-6 plans for NYI and he'd do just fine.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Avery is a great fit for the Islanders. Firstly, NYI can overpay...and overpay some more. The Rangers cannot compete on how much the Isles could offer him. Secondly, it's still the NYC area. Sean can still do his Avery show just a few miles west and still make it back in time to bang an Olsen.

Lastly, although he really is a great third liner in my eyes, he isn't exactly out of place on the 2nd line. He would most definately fit in the top-6 plans for NYI and he'd do just fine.
I'll admit that we need at lest a #1 C and a #1 d to complement Witt, but i dont think that the Isles are getting an FA like that this offseason
He would exactly fit as a 2nd line C, considering the Isles probably wont go after a #1 legit center (and no Comrie doesn't count, atleast in my eyes). so i can see comrie as the #1 Center and Avery as 2nd line center with Park on the third line and Sim being our 4th line guy. And yes he can get still do his precious intership at a modeling agency and find a model to date to compete with Hillary Duff beer and the Uptown girl fan .

Old
06-12-2008, 04:38 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post

Thats all true. He'll def. add some juice to the team. He'd probably play on the 1st line. I'd be hard to watch, but I wouldn't hate him. The only thing is him on a very young, most likely losing squad, is that a scenerio where some issues may surface.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
umm. Its called a no movement clause. Drury has it. So I guess its not impossible after all!
Rookies can't sign no movement clauses.

And why are we talking about the Islanders.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Sather talk about who? Our FA's or the Islanders you mentioned?

I'm just being realistic, Shanahan has nothing left in the tank. Some may disagree, but he can't skate anymore. His hands are there, his legs are not.

Straka is on the fence, and quite honestly, he isn't getting any better or younger.

Sjostrom may come at about 1 mil, not sure if they want to pay that for a 4th liner.

Even if Jagr comes back, and Korpikoski continues where he left off in game 5, there will be spots to fill.

We still have to wait until 2009-2010 for Cherepanov.

And Wheeler will probably start out on the AHL anyway, no matter what team he signs with.

This is a very low risk, potentially very high reward type of signing.

For the Rangers, Wheeler may be the player that we were supposed to get in Jessiman.

Old
06-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I'm sure Slats will make him the max ELC offer (but it has to be the ELC from his draft class, correct?). After that, it's up to Wheels to decide.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I'm sure Slats will make him the max ELC offer (but it has to be the ELC from his draft class, correct?). After that, it's up to Wheels to decide.
No, only Phoenix could offer him the ELC from his draft class. Once he became an UFA, he became subject to the current ELC restrictions.

Old
06-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
No, only Phoenix could offer him the ELC from his draft class. Once he became an UFA, he became subject to the current ELC restrictions.
Really, so is he bound by the ELC for the current class, or can we offer him anything?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I hope we land him.

Cherepanov, Wheeler, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Korpikoski, Dawes, Callahan.

Thats a nice young forward corp so far. And, contrary to what people say, has decent size too.

Old
06-12-2008, 04:52 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Really, so is he bound by the ELC for the current class, or can we offer him anything?
He was only going to make money based on the old CBA if he signed with Phoenix. But because he left, he is now following new CBA rules. Whatever the max ELC is now is the max $$ we can offer him.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
He was only going to make money based on the old CBA if he signed with Phoenix. But because he left, he is now following new CBA rules. Whatever the max ELC is now is the max $$ we can offer him.
Yeah, basically before he became an UFA, Phoenix could have made him an offer based on the old ELC rules. Once he became an UFA, however, he became subject to the new ELC rules for any team looking to sign him (even Phoenix, at this point).

And yes, he's still bound by ELC rules in general.

Old
06-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Sather talk about who? Our FA's or the Islanders you mentioned?
Your FA's

Quote:
I'm just being realistic, Shanahan has nothing left in the tank. Some may disagree, but he can't skate anymore. His hands are there, his legs are not.

Straka is on the fence, and quite honestly, he isn't getting any better or younger.

Sjostrom may come at about 1 mil, not sure if they want to pay that for a 4th liner.

Even if Jagr comes back, and Korpikoski continues where he left off in game 5, there will be spots to fill.
ok fair enough

Quote:
We still have to wait until 2009-2010 for Cherepanov
How is he doing? I honestly havent heard anything on him?

Quote:
And Wheeler will probably start out on the AHL anyway, no matter what team he signs with.
I think if by some luck he signs with the isles i can see them putting him with Okpsoso on teh big club and then send either one or both down if they need more seasoning

Quote:

For the Rangers, Wheeler may be the player that we were supposed to get in Jessiman.
I never though Jessiman was going to pan out, wasnt there a question of his puck handling and he needed to work on his overall game on d and o?

Quote:
Cherepanov, Wheeler, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Korpikoski, Dawes, Callahan.

Thats a nice young forward corp so far. And, contrary to what people say, has decent size too.
Looks better than any team in the league except the Pens with Stall and Malkin and Crosby, and don't fool yourselves thinking they wont be able to sign both of them (Stall and Malkin)

Old
06-12-2008, 08:37 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
im calling him a bust...i dont like big softies
Hey why not, if you're wrong it works out, if youy're right it still works out, either way you can't lose.

OT, I offically declared Jose reyes a bust 3 weeks ago.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Levitate

Quote:
He matched his numbers from the previous year and did well in the playoffs, but overall he seemed to be disappointed in himself because he didn't improve on his numbers and make himself the best player in the RSL. He did have some injury problems (the concussion to start the year, bronchitas around the time of the WJC) and probably an even bigger factor, he needed to get into better shape overall. Hopefully he works on that this summer.

Basically, from what I saw of him, his skill isn't a problem, and his ability to use that skill when the opportunity presents itself isn't a problem, it'll just be making sure he gets into good shape and works in his play without the puck

Quote:
I never though Jessiman was going to pan out, wasnt there a question of his puck handling and he needed to work on his overall game on d and o?
Nah, not his puck handling, but his defensive game and what ultimately has given him the most problems, his hockey sense. Ability to mentally keep up. He's just getting up to speed with the AHL now, so we'll see if he can keep that up and manage to get himself up to the NHL level.

Old
06-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut
How is he doing? I honestly haven't heard anything on him.
Cherepanov played 47 games in the RSL last year with having 29 points(which is great in the RSL) and this year he had played 46 games with 28 points. So hes been doing very well in russia, could get better numbers but he is still only 18

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:16 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
He is now considered a rookie under the new CBA so the most he can get is the max ELC under the new CBA.

The Rangers get him but the Coyotes fan in me is gona make me boo him every time he touches the puck at MSG.
Just another reason why you're only supposed to pick ONE team.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 11:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Your FA's

ok fair enough

I think if by some luck he signs with the isles i can see them putting him with Okpsoso on teh big club and then send either one or both down if they need more seasoning

Looks better than any team in the league except the Pens with Stall and Malkin and Crosby, and don't fool yourselves thinking they wont be able to sign both of them (Stall and Malkin)
I'm not sure if Sather talked to any of our FAs since the departure day. The reports are that he hasn't talked to Jagr or Avery, so you gotta figure he hasn't talked to guys like Dawes or Sjostrom yet. I'm sure he will soon enough.

Cherepanov is doing well.

Some people say his season this year was a let down. However, i don't see how that could possibly be considering he was injured in the beginning of the season when that scum bag Suter (all the Suters are scum bags) blindsided Cherepanov is the super series, and Cherepanov still managed to match last year's production. One point less in one less game. Last year we all know he broke the rookie scoring record that had been previously held by Bure.

And those B.S. reports about him being lazy were also defied when he carried his team in the playoffs.

He is the real deal, IMO. He will be a top line scoring winger. I am not suggesting he is Kovalchuk or Ovechkin, but you get the idea. The only problem with the Rangers is our lack of developing anymore forwards with his offensive prowess. However, we are pretty good at developing solid players as of late. I credit that to the coaching staff at all levels of the organization as well as the right kind of players with the right attitudes and make up.

You are right about Jessiman. I like the guy a lot as a person. He is a good kid with a lot of heart. It is not his fault he was put in a position to have a ton of pressure on him. I still hope he can make it somewhere, with us or another organization.