HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYPost - "Rangers Eye Wheeler"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2008, 10:21 PM
  #76
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I'm not sure if Sather talked to any of our FAs since the departure day. The reports are that he hasn't talked to Jagr or Avery, so you gotta figure he hasn't talked to guys like Dawes or Sjostrom yet. I'm sure he will soon enough.


Cherepanov is doing well.

Some people say his season this year was a let down. However, i don't see how that could possibly be considering he was injured in the beginning of the season when that scum bag Suter (all the Suters are scum bags) blindsided Cherepanov is the super series, and Cherepanov still managed to match last year's production. One point less in one less game. Last year we all know he broke the rookie scoring record that had been previously held by Bure.

And those B.S. reports about him being lazy were also defied when he carried his team in the playoffs.

He is the real deal, IMO. He will be a top line scoring winger. I am not suggesting he is Kovalchuk or Ovechkin, but you get the idea. The only problem with the Rangers is our lack of developing anymore forwards with his offensive prowess. However, we are pretty good at developing solid players as of late. I credit that to the coaching staff at all levels of the organization as well as the right kind of players with the right attitudes and make up.


You are right about Jessiman. I like the guy a lot as a person. He is a good kid with a lot of heart. It is not his fault he was put in a position to have a ton of pressure on him. I still hope he can make it somewhere, with us or another organization.
Yea...hopefully hes a Cherepanov which is better than both

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:29 PM
  #77
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Yea...hopefully hes a Cherepanov which is better than both
i do have a feeling that the future line of Anisimov, XXX, and Cherepanov will make the rangers a russian rivalry with Washington Semin vs. Anisimov, and Chere vs. Ovy

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:45 PM
  #78
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
i do have a feeling that the future line of Anisimov, XXX, and Cherepanov will make the rangers a russian rivalry with Washington Semin vs. Anisimov, and Chere vs. Ovy
We sure hope so

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:50 PM
  #79
Dredden
JT Miller
 
Dredden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
I would take the risk of persuing him. If he doesnt pan out or make progress i would package him in a deal at the trade deadline.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 12:26 AM
  #80
FLYLine24
Registered User
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,123
vCash: 500
Not sure why anyone would be against this...the kid has potential (Not top 5 in a draft potential) but he does have 1st line potential.

So he takes up a contract spot in our 50...who cares.....so that mean that one of our maybe future 4th liners doesnt get a contract? Hell thats well worth the risk of a potential 1st or 2nd liner.

The BS about "attitude problem" is always overblown for a young kid....I was always a huge "Please sign RJ Umberger" fan..but we didnt....now look at him...a very good center for the flyers...and there has not been a hint of any sort of "attitude problem" with him.

Kids are immature at 20 still(Hell I was! as were im sure a bunch of you)...so those types of comments I usually just disregard. They grow up, and then all that skill they had comes out.


Im not saying throw the bank at him, but give him a legit offer...if he signs hooray, if not...all well, but I would love Sather to at least take a gamble with him, whihc it looks like he is at least doing.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 12:51 AM
  #81
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Fly

If the Rangers invited him to New York to see the sights, then I'd be shocked if they didn't offer him a contract. The problem (unless they got cute and low-balled him--which I doubt in this case)) is it's pretty much the same contract that all the other teams have offered him. I don't think money is the issue here.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:06 AM
  #82
FLYLine24
Registered User
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
If the Rangers invited him to New York to see the sights, then I'd be shocked if they didn't offer him a contract. The problem (unless they got cute and low-balled him--which I doubt in this case)) is it's pretty much the same contract that all the other teams have offered him. I don't think money is the issue here.
Thats fine with me, if we offered him a contract but he went somewhere else, then all well...at least we tried(cant get them all)..

But if Sather doesn't even offer him something, then I would a tad pissed. But like you said, i'm sure Sather will or has offered him something.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:07 AM
  #83
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
If the Rangers invited him to New York to see the sights, then I'd be shocked if they didn't offer him a contract. The problem (unless they got cute and low-balled him--which I doubt in this case)) is it's pretty much the same contract that all the other teams have offered him. I don't think money is the issue here.
Its not. He wants to go somewhere that he is going to play in the NHL in his first year at some point.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:29 AM
  #84
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Its not. He wants to go somewhere that he is going to play in the NHL in his first year at some point.
How can any organization guarantee that? He's never played professionally and it's pretty rare for prospects coming out of Juniors to be ready for the speed and intensity of the NHL.

Also, why wouldn't Wheeler just sign with Phoenix then?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:31 AM
  #85
rangerfan_79
Registered User
 
rangerfan_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Its not. He wants to go somewhere that he is going to play in the NHL in his first year at some point.

It's definitely not a money thing... he can only be offered a set entry level contract so all teams are equal in that respect (other then the coyotes).

The guy is doing what his agent is telling him to do...check out all of his options, then take the deal.

No one can offer him a deal until July 1 when he becomes available.

I don't think the rangers have a chance at this kid but what the hey. give it a shot.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:38 AM
  #86
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
How can any organization guarantee that? He's never played professionally and it's pretty rare for prospects coming out of Juniors to be ready for the speed and intensity of the NHL.

Also, why wouldn't Wheeler just sign with Phoenix then?
i dont think he was entirely in tune with the team concept there. Ever since Turris got drafted and started playing for PHX, hes been the top guy and Wheeler kind of fell out of the picture with Turris there plus the years that Mueller, Porter, Kolarik, and MacLean had and i don't think he was too happy about that.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:44 AM
  #87
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
i dont think he was entirely in tune with the team concept there. Ever since Turris got drafted and started playing for PHX, hes been the top guy and Wheeler kind of fell out of the picture with Turris there plus the years that Mueller, Porter, Kolarik, and MacLean had and i don't think he was too happy about that.
Thanks. Another question for you--if he's worried about competition from other young players, why is he leaning toward signing with Chicago (according to one of the sources cited in this thread)?

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:56 AM
  #88
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Its not. He wants to go somewhere that he is going to play in the NHL in his first year at some point.
from all I've heard about the guy, it's a pretty slim chance he plays for any NHL team next year unless he really makes big strides in the AHL for awhile and gets called up later

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:29 AM
  #89
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Cherepanov played 47 games in the RSL last year with having 29 points(which is great in the RSL) and this year he had played 46 games with 28 points. So hes been doing very well in russia, could get better numbers but he is still only 18
19 actually.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:14 AM
  #90
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
19 actually.
Yup. Which is still impressive. That league is really a veteran's league.

Only very high level of talent youth produces with as much consistency in the RSL (now KHL).

Just to compare something, the highest ranked European skater in this year's draft, Filatov, is only playing in Russian juniors. Cherepanov, only a year older, has already been in the RSL for 2 years.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:24 AM
  #91
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,545
vCash: 500
I think this is where someone says that Filitov is only playing in juniors because the senior team doesn't have room for him, or something like that.

I don't know if it's true or not, though. You'd think if he really was that good and ready to play at the next level, they'd find room for him because he'd make the team better.

At any rate, everyone's already decided Filitov is better than Cherepanov

VVVVVV Oh snap

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:24 AM
  #92
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Just to compare something, the highest ranked European skater in this year's draft, Filatov, is only playing in Russian juniors. Cherepanov, only a year older, has already been in the RSL for 2 years.
They are two different situations involving two very different organizations and shouldn't be used as an indicator of anything.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:29 AM
  #93
bigblue21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think this is where someone says that Filitov is only playing in juniors because the senior team doesn't have room for him, or something like that.

I don't know if it's true or not, though. You'd think if he really was that good and ready to play at the next level, they'd find room for him because he'd make the team better.

At any rate, everyone's already decided Filitov is better than Cherepanov

VVVVVV Oh snap
Filatov is the flavor of the week with the draft approaching, while Cherepanov is old news. Truth is no one really knows until they come over to NA.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 10:34 AM
  #94
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Thanks. Another question for you--if he's worried about competition from other young players, why is he leaning toward signing with Chicago (according to one of the sources cited in this thread)?
I think another piece to this is that Wheeler wants to go to a hockey rich market. Maybe Chicago isn't a booming choice right now but they are on their way back. Plus they are an Original 6 team. Its tough to say what this kid wants other than a spot to play because I am sure there are hockey rich markets looking at him but he doesn't want to go to those places. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
  #95
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
They are two different situations involving two very different organizations and shouldn't be used as an indicator of anything.
I disagree.

Cherepanov is on a professional level. Even if he were in the US at this point he would have been in the NHL or AHL.

Whereas Filatov will be going straight to Canadian Juniors.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 12:58 PM
  #96
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
They are two different situations involving two very different organizations and shouldn't be used as an indicator of anything.
True to an extent. However, I don't think many could argue that Cherepanov would be the more likely of the two to make an immediate jump to-- and make an impact in the NHL at this point.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 02:14 PM
  #97
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I disagree.

Cherepanov is on a professional level. Even if he were in the US at this point he would have been in the NHL or AHL.

Whereas Filatov will be going straight to Canadian Juniors.
No one, even Filatov, knows where he will play next year. Just because he's said he's willing to play in the CHL doesn't mean that that's where the team that picks him will want him. My money's on him going to the AHL, where the team will have more control over his develoment and have the opportunity to call him up if he proves ready for it. Chances are it's not going to be a team that's stacked with talent if they're picking in the top 5 so there's a better chance it could happen then if he were going to a team like Detroit or Pittsburgh, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
True to an extent. However, I don't think many could argue that Cherepanov would be the more likely of the two to make an immediate jump to-- and make an impact in the NHL at this point.
Of course he would, he's a almost a year and a half older, more physically mature, and has the experience of playing against men. But just because he got the opportunity to play in the RSL earlier than Filatov doesn't mean he'll ultimately be the better player. It's like saying Sam Gagne will be a better player than Anisimov because he played in the NHL at a younger age.

Personally, I think Filatov has been way over-hyped. But so has Cherepanov by Rangers fans. Until they both play at the same level anyone who tries to predict who is better is just guessing. Especially those of us here who've only seen either play in very limited amounts.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
  #98
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Personally, I think Filatov has been way over-hyped. But so has Cherepanov by Rangers fans. Until they both play at the same level anyone who tries to predict who is better is just guessing. Especially those of us here who've only seen either play in very limited amounts.
Squish, just curious why do you feel he is over hyped?

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:24 PM
  #99
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,248
vCash: 873
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
No one, even Filatov, knows where he will play next year. Just because he's said he's willing to play in the CHL doesn't mean that that's where the team that picks him will want him. My money's on him going to the AHL, where the team will have more control over his develoment and have the opportunity to call him up if he proves ready for it. Chances are it's not going to be a team that's stacked with talent if they're picking in the top 5 so there's a better chance it could happen then if he were going to a team like Detroit or Pittsburgh, etc.



Of course he would, he's a almost a year and a half older, more physically mature, and has the experience of playing against men. But just because he got the opportunity to play in the RSL earlier than Filatov doesn't mean he'll ultimately be the better player. It's like saying Sam Gagne will be a better player than Anisimov because he played in the NHL at a younger age.

Personally, I think Filatov has been way over-hyped. But so has Cherepanov by Rangers fans. Until they both play at the same level anyone who tries to predict who is better is just guessing. Especially those of us here who've only seen either play in very limited amounts.

While I'll admit that Rangers fans have hyped this kid up, it's not Rangers fans that had him listed as the 4th best prospect in his draft class. The only reason (I say again, the only reason) he fell was because that was the first draft without the Russians not being included in the IIHF Transfer agreement.

Had the Russians been included in that, Cherry is taken top 5.

Filatov is in the same boat and I could see him dropping as well. Alot of teams do not want to deal with the hassle that comes along with drafting a russian kid nowadays.

I'll go out on a limb right now and sa that Nikita drops to the 8-12th spot

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 03:30 PM
  #100
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
While I'll admit that Rangers fans have hyped this kid up, it's not Rangers fans that had him listed as the 4th best prospect in his draft class. The only reason (I say again, the only reason) he fell was because that was the first draft without the Russians not being included in the IIHF Transfer agreement.

Had the Russians been included in that, Cherry is taken top 5.

Filatov is in the same boat and I could see him dropping as well. Alot of teams do not want to deal with the hassle that comes along with drafting a russian kid nowadays.

I'll go out on a limb right now and sa that Nikita drops to the 8-12th spot
Toronto would take him at #7 no matter the Transfer Agreement

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.