HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

To bake or not to bake...that is the question.

View Poll Results: Bake or not?
Yes 28 82.35%
No 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-20-2008, 01:44 AM
  #51
db88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Yes, that's possible. I don't know where you live but it was supposed to be up to 104 F today in California. Your car would be a boiler in that heat. Considering NikeBauer recomends baking at 175 F there's a good chance you got a free baking, hehe.
i live in Michigan but it wasnt that hot, but it was pretty good.. so yeah i think they sorta got rebaked or whatever.. but i put em on and all that so they reformed real well around my feet. hopefully it should feel fine tomorrow when i play

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:10 PM
  #52
Ron Jovi
Registered User
 
Ron Jovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: DC
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
I see a lot of folks here think that baking is a no brainer. It won’t "hurt" the skate in any way. Why do you think that all companies say that you can only bake a skate "X" amount of times? Because they know that the heating process WEAKENS the composite/foams/plastics that make up the skate! So does skating on the skates, baking just accelerates the BREAKDOWN of you skate.
Heating the skate is a great way to speed up the break in of your skate, no doubt.
If it were necessary than pro shops would demand that you do it - they don't.

In my experience with new skates I had to bake my Vapor 10's to get them to fit right.
I got some Vapor 25's that fit perfectly out of the box. I chose not to bake them & have not had 1 issue with fit or comfort. I was willing to heat mold them if it was necessary, but if it's not - don't do it. Your skates may last longer

Ron Jovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:15 PM
  #53
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I see a lot of folks here think that baking is a no brainer. It won’t "hurt" the skate in any way. Why do you think that all companies say that you can only bake a skate "X" amount of times? Because they know that the heating process WEAKENS the composite/foams/plastics that make up the skate! So does skating on the skates, baking just accelerates the BREAKDOWN of you skate.
Heating the skate is a great way to speed up the break in of your skate, no doubt.
If it were necessary than pro shops would demand that you do it - they don't.

In my experience with new skates I had to bake my Vapor 10's to get them to fit right.
I got some Vapor 25's that fit perfectly out of the box. I chose not to bake them & have not had 1 issue with fit or comfort. I was willing to heat mold them if it was necessary, but if it's not - don't do it. Your skates may last longer
Yes, but you also have to look after your skates.

Before I switched to custom skates I used to tear through a pair every year. And I mean destroyed. They weren't heat molded, but they lasted one season. Now that I have custom skates, these have lasted me 2 years and counting...and they were heat molded.

They obviosuly didn't stregnthen them, but they didn't weaken them significantly enough to start early breakdown.

__________________
"I channeled my inner Morneau, took the stick and hit the mother****** to the moooon!"
Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
  #54
Ten
Registered User
 
Ten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto.
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Without reading what this thread was about, I'd tell you that you could put yourself in a position to hurt yourself and others around you.

Good luck stopping anything as a goaltender.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:45 PM
  #55
Ron Jovi
Registered User
 
Ron Jovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: DC
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm1Crosby0 View Post
Yes, but you also have to look after your skates.

Before I switched to custom skates I used to tear through a pair every year. And I mean destroyed. They weren't heat molded, but they lasted one season. Now that I have custom skates, these have lasted me 2 years and counting...and they were heat molded.

They obviosuly didn't stregnthen them, but they didn't weaken them significantly enough to start early breakdown.
What do you mean by custom? Are they prostock, special order

I am not saying that by baking you are headed for premature breakdown. I am saying that realize there is a "change" to the skate that begins the breakdown before you even skate 1x. There is a consequence to it thats all. (one I was willing to take on my prior pair)

Ron Jovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:15 PM
  #56
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
What do you mean by custom? Are they prostock, special order

I am not saying that by baking you are headed for premature breakdown. I am saying that realize there is a "change" to the skate that begins the breakdown before you even skate 1x. There is a consequence to it thats all. (one I was willing to take on my prior pair)
Custom is basically anything you CAN'T buy at the store, which requires to be special ordered and/or prostock. EXCEPT prostock equipment is actually made "cheaper" than store bought products.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 08:46 PM
  #57
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
What do you mean by custom? Are they prostock, special order

I am not saying that by baking you are headed for premature breakdown. I am saying that realize there is a "change" to the skate that begins the breakdown before you even skate 1x. There is a consequence to it thats all. (one I was willing to take on my prior pair)
some skates will break down a lot quicker. Lower end skates can be baked, but it's not necessary and will make it break down a lot quicker.

The reason skates have been breaking down more quicker since the baking process has been around might not be due to baking but rather to two possibilities:

1. Material. Skates made in the past decade have been designed with the focus on eliminating weight and maximizing performance. The cost of this is durability.

2. Baking skates incorrectly. Not all pro shops follow the manufacturer's strict instructions. They might set the oven too hot or leave the skates in for too long or pull the laces up instead of out, or lace the ankles tightly. Not all players follow them either. Some people claim to have walked around in them, flexed in them, etc. This will definitely break down the skate quicker because you're doing something the skate was not meant to do.

Correctly baking your skates make take a month or so off the life of your skate at most.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:26 PM
  #58
91
Registered User
 
91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the ghetto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,821
vCash: 500
I got my Vapor 10's baked about 4-5 years ago and they are still in great condition. I would advise you to get it done if they option is there. Recently I've actually been skating barefoot and it feels amazing which probably is somewhat due to having them baked.

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
  #59
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
What do you mean by custom? Are they prostock, special order

I am not saying that by baking you are headed for premature breakdown. I am saying that realize there is a "change" to the skate that begins the breakdown before you even skate 1x. There is a consequence to it thats all. (one I was willing to take on my prior pair)
Special order.

I wear size 5. Kids size. I'm 5'10. I used to go through skates every year because they weren't built to take the abuse I put them through.

Now I got size 5 built up to adult skates.

9K's for the win!

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 12:45 AM
  #60
Security Guard Chang*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greendale
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
I'm baked.

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 11:14 AM
  #61
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm1Crosby0 View Post
Special order.

I wear size 5. Kids size. I'm 5'10. I used to go through skates every year because they weren't built to take the abuse I put them through.

Now I got size 5 built up to adult skates.

9K's for the win!
My next pair will most likely be in a few years and I'm going to get them custom (if my knee lets me keep playing by then).

I wear 5.5 EE so I have the same problem. I also have a really high instep.

I'm sure that shedding a few pounds would add some life to my skates now though, hehe.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
  #62
db88
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
you guys have some small feet, i wear a size 12 d

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 02:22 PM
  #63
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db88 View Post
you guys have some small feet, i wear a size 12 d
well, you're about a foot taller than i am, hehe. 6'4" anything less than a 10 is pretty unusual.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:03 PM
  #64
Ti-girl
Registered User
 
Ti-girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Merida, Mexico
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
well, you're about a foot taller than i am, hehe. 6'4" anything less than a 10 is pretty unusual.
This is true.

I'm 5'10 and female.

Though, my one brother who is 6'5, 245 lbs and was a Dub draft wears size 9. The other is 6'1...he wears size 10.5.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 04:58 PM
  #65
John Belushi
Registered Boozer
 
John Belushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,498
vCash: 500
Anyone else join this thread expecting discussions about green?

John Belushi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:26 PM
  #66
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm1Crosby0 View Post
This is true.

I'm 5'10 and female.

Though, my one brother who is 6'5, 245 lbs and was a Dub draft wears size 9. The other is 6'1...he wears size 10.5.
James Sheppard has freak feet. 6'2" size 15 skate.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:03 PM
  #67
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Pax Macioretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 17,549
vCash: 500
alot of you guys seem to like those Nikebauer one90 skates, i'm looking for some relatively cheap, (size 8.5 EE) just to add to this thread, i have a very wide and odd foot to say the least and i'ver heard that the one90's are the best skates for people with wide feet.

Has anyone tried the CCM U+, i heard they are also excellent for baking

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:32 PM
  #68
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
The One90 in a D width is actually a pretty narrow skate. An E width might work well for you.

The U+ skate is quite a bit different in that it requires baking to stiffen up.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 08:24 AM
  #69
GOONSQUAD
Registered User
 
GOONSQUAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Frederick MD
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GOONSQUAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
alot of you guys seem to like those Nikebauer one90 skates, i'm looking for some relatively cheap, (size 8.5 EE) just to add to this thread, i have a very wide and odd foot to say the least and i'ver heard that the one90's are the best skates for people with wide feet.

Has anyone tried the CCM U+, i heard they are also excellent for baking
The problem with eh U+ is that they are not cheap....

GOONSQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:18 PM
  #70
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
alot of you guys seem to like those Nikebauer one90 skates, i'm looking for some relatively cheap, (size 8.5 EE) just to add to this thread, i have a very wide and odd foot to say the least and i'ver heard that the one90's are the best skates for people with wide feet.

Has anyone tried the CCM U+, i heard they are also excellent for baking
Nike Bauer skates are generally narrow. I have a wide foot and I wear a EE width Vapor XXX. (stock comes in D width and EE, E is only available in custom)

The One90 is cut wider at the base, but as you go up in the skate towards the ankle it hugs your foot tighter. The idea was to create as little negative skate as possible.

I like to say that the One90 is best for "textbook feet" as in it's rough on people with heel spurs, or if you may have broken a bone in your foot at some time. The skate can be very unforgiving in terms of stiffness. So, I'm not sure if the One90s would be the best fit.

I would not advise buying skates based on what other people think without trying them on.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 03:31 PM
  #71
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
I would not advise buying skates based on what other people think without trying them on.
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.

This includes any advice that posters like myself, Vakar or any of the kids that tell you "Buaer iz teh behst!!!!!!!"

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.