HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interest in Bobby Holik

Old
06-14-2008, 04:44 PM
MatthewB

vCash: 500
No interest whats so ever.

I Beleive its Go big (Hossa, Sundin, maybe Selanne)or go home for Gainey and the Habs this year.

MatthewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:16 AM
peperebougon*

I've been hoping we land him for the playoffs. I'd be happy to sign him as a 3rd line center... He would help the team a lot in areas we need help. Good backup plan...You need guys like him against the B's and Philly.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I wouldn't be surprised nor against Holik signing in Montreal assuming they miss out on Hossa, Sundin, Rolston, Naslund, etc.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Because there are so many of those available. So what happens if Sundin signs elsewhere?

Holik would be a great two-way presence and can take faceoffs. He's also a good leader, playoff performer and generally catches too much crap for signing a big money contract in NY.
well then we don't sign any centers, we go with what we got or sign a star, we don't need no old deadweight anymore, every year we get this veteran who is supose to solidifie our team but instead they never deliver and only keep a better and younger player out of a job, last year chipper was twice as better then Smokes defensively but he still ended up going in Hamilton witch was complete bull.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:27 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
well then we don't sign any centers, we go with what we got or sign a star, we don't need no old deadweight anymore, every year we get this veteran who is supose to solidifie our team but instead they never deliver and only keep a better and younger player out of a job, last year chipper was twice as better then Smokes defensively but he still ended up going in Hamilton witch was complete bull.
Am I seriously the only one who thinks Chipchura deserved to go to Hamilton?

The guy couldn't win a faceoff for his life, and struggled making passes. He didn't look confident out there. He needed more development time in Hamilton. Besides which, if you didn't notice, the team was at least as good without him.

Anyway, I think it's ridiculous not to sign a center and just hand Chipchura the job outright. He should earn it (just like he did last year), like everyone else. The best way to keep a player motivated is to have someone trying to take their job. If we sign no one, or some stiff to spend the season in the press box, then the competition for center on the bottom 2 lines is between Chipchura, Lapierre, Grabovsky (if he's even still here), Locke, Trotter, and a bunch of green rookies straight out of the CHL.

Signing no one isn't an option.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Am I seriously the only one who thinks Chipchura deserved to go to Hamilton?

The guy couldn't win a faceoff for his life, and struggled making passes. He didn't look confident out there. He needed more development time in Hamilton. Besides which, if you didn't notice, the team was at least as good without him.

Anyway, I think it's ridiculous not to sign a center and just hand Chipchura the job outright. He should earn it (just like he did last year), like everyone else. The best way to keep a player motivated is to have someone trying to take their job. If we sign no one, or some stiff to spend the season in the press box, then the competition for center on the bottom 2 lines is between Chipchura, Lapierre, Grabovsky (if he's even still here), Locke, Trotter, and a bunch of green rookies straight out of the CHL.

YES, it is...

Most good teams like Detroit, San Jose and Dallas all started the year with there 4 clear cut centers that we're known from day 1 of the training camp and added later on when the time was right, we don't even know for now if we're going to make the playoff next year, who knows if alot of young kids will flinch when there's pressure, maybe A.Kost won't live up to his next contract, there's absolutely no good reason for now to have another 38 year old defensive forward who won't even score 10 goals for us. We lack strengh, we lack size and we lack goal scorers, we're fine defensively, we can already set up 4 to 5 pk units with our forward group as it is right now

Old
06-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

? He's still fighting for a spot even if we don't sign anyone.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
? He's still fighting for a spot even if we don't sign anyone.
exactly, there's still Bégin to play center

Old
06-15-2008, 06:41 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
YES, it is...

Most good teams like Detroit, San Jose and Dallas all started the year with there 4 clear cut centers that we're known from day 1 of the training camp and added later on when the time was right
Detroit, whose 4 clear cut centers (Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Draper and Filppula) all had more than one full season under their belt, if not several.
Likewise with Dallas (Ribeiro, Modano, Barnes, Ott/Lundqvist).
The only situation possibly similar was San Jose, who had Pavelski with only 46 games under his belt centering the 3rd line, but they'd signed Roenick (a 38-year old) as a veteran depth center/winger who's worn down, but can play just about anywhere if needed. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
Quote:
we don't even know for now if we're going to make the playoff next year, who knows if alot of young kids will flinch when there's pressure, maybe A.Kost won't live up to his next contract, there's absolutely no good reason for now to have another 38 year old defensive forward who won't even score 10 goals for us.
There is. It's call depth. Injuries happen, and when (not if) they do, I'd rather not be relying on Begin (who's a bad center) or Corey Locke, or whatever green face. If Chipchura beats him out for a spot, which he might/will, then great! That 37-year old veteran can sit in the press box, because our team will be better without him. But resigning ourselves to making the team with the same pieces again doesn't feel like we're going for it all.
Quote:
We lack strengh, we lack size and we lack goal scorers, we're fine defensively, we can already set up 4 to 5 pk units with our forward group as it is right now
Stregth, yes. Size, yes. Defensively, I don't think we're fine. We're adequate. I don't think we should sign a defensman because of the money that might be required to re-sign Komisarek, but I wouldn't be against doing it either.

The PK was mediocre at best last season, always hovering around 20th. Just because we can make up 4-5 PK units, doesn't make it good. It means we have lots of players who can fill in when required, but it still needs to improve (that's why Chris Kelly would be a great signing).

Listen, I'm not anti-Chipchura, I just don't like the look of depth at center, and I believe we need to sign someone in order to:
1) drive our young players, mainly Chipchura and Lapierre
2) As an insurance policy for injuries. I think that the nature of this site (that it's a spinoff from a prospect site) makes people far too comfortable playing guys from Hamilton on a regular basis.

Whatever, I'm obviously in the minority here. My mind can be changed if Chipchura can at least hit the 48 or 49% mark on faceoffs, which is my main reason to be down on him.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:01 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
No thx

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote