HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Selanne to Montreal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2008, 06:47 PM
  #51
HabsoluteFate
Registered User
 
HabsoluteFate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post
Let's compare Pros and Cons:

Pros:
- Try to help friend Koivu win a Cup
- Could get a larger contract than in Anaheim

Cons:
- Could risk fan resentment a la Kariya and possibly not having his Jersey retired as a Duck (doubtful but who knows owners might hold this against him).
- May have to move his family up to Canada
- Pay more taxes (possibly negating the larger contract 'pro')
- More media pressure

The Cons far outweigh the Pros to me for a guy like Selanne at this stage of his career -s o I'd say Duck or retirement, but I'm heavily leaning towards him being a Duck this season. I think he'll have the urge to play more hockey, as he started late last year and hit an early playoff exit.
You forgot a big pro...not trying to start an argument but i'm sure someone will dispute this:

There is no better team in the NHL when your team is winning

And yes I realise there probably is no worst city to be in when you are losing either...it is all because the fans are so passionate

Your thoughts about the taxes being a con are kind of useless if the salary is large enough to make that a moot point as well...

Why would Anaheim be pissed at him? If he has been classy with them they have no reason not to be happy for him but perhaps dissapointed

i dont disagree with your other points however

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:55 PM
  #52
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,996
vCash: 50
You forgot bringing Yashin back.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:25 PM
  #53
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,232
vCash: 500
well first you gotta make sure Koivu's coming back next year...

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:38 PM
  #54
LuG61
2015 Playoff Saviour
 
LuG61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ducks
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 1015
Selanne says year after year that its Anaheim or retirement. Yet we have these threads year after year...

LuG61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 01:31 AM
  #55
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever
 
Phaneufed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Georgia
Posts: 4,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Good comeback.

But valuable as he is to the Habs Hamrlik is not the Habs' #1 defenseman (that would be Andrei Markov, of course).

Not that it hurts your point.
Yeah I forgot about Markov lol, #2 d-man then

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 06:40 AM
  #56
TwineSniper
Registered User
 
TwineSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
Yeah I forgot about Markov lol, #2 d-man then

Umm yeah, that would be Komisarek. Hamrlik anchored our SECOND pairing, and all season. Did a good job too. Especially considering he was paired with such defensive stalwarts as Streit and Brisebois, O'Byrne was pretty decent though.

TwineSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:16 PM
  #57
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever
 
Phaneufed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Georgia
Posts: 4,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Umm yeah, that would be Komisarek. Hamrlik anchored our SECOND pairing, and all season. Did a good job too. Especially considering he was paired with such defensive stalwarts as Streit and Brisebois, O'Byrne was pretty decent though.
Sure Hamrlik may be on your second pairing, but as of right now, Hamrlik is your second best d-man (imo anyways).

It's like saying Sarich is the Flames second best d-man because he played on the first pairing, while Phaneuf was on the 2nd pairing.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:19 PM
  #58
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
Not taking in to account the fact that Selanne might want to just finish off his career in Anaheim instead of having to move I would say that this makes sense. Montreal has huge amounts of cap space availabel, they were looking for a RW at the trade deadline and im sure they still are and as far as Selanne is concerned he would be going to a good team, a contender, probably juicy contract and he already has someone he is firends with playing on the team. Also I dont see how Anaheim can resign Selanne considering their cap issues, that is unless he wants to take a 50%+ pay cut or Anaheim is ready to part with some of their good young players to make room for him.
Ok the ducks are a contender, they are a good team and he just had his 4th kid, he's not uprooting his family...period. If he plays it'll be for the ducks, this is just like when McDonald was traded to St.Louis and people started making up rumors that Selanne would go there.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:22 PM
  #59
spot
Registered User
 
spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,574
vCash: 500
Wow Montreal seams to be the hot spot for this years UFA pool. Hossa, Selanne and Lecavalier!! They will be stacked

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:23 PM
  #60
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
You must know Selanne personally to say he wouldnt go anywhere else (and this goes to everyone else with the same opinion). I'm not saying he is going to Montreal but it is ridiculous to think he might not change his mind.

You see it all the time and i'm sure you have done it yourself.
People's opinions can change over time...that's just how people are.
Why would he go to Montreal?

He can retire now and have his number retired next year, or he can come back to a team still in a championship window.

The only half assed reason people seem to come up with is Koivu is there any other reason? No, would you like me to list the reasons why if he plays it will be for the ducks? there's alot more than why he'd go to Montreal.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:27 PM
  #61
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,996
vCash: 50
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/253696.html

In the article, Beauchemin thinks that Selanne will either come back to Anaheim, or retire.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:29 PM
  #62
spot
Registered User
 
spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,574
vCash: 500
I could see him wanting to lace them up for the Jets one last time.

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 04:00 PM
  #63
Benny Lava
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anaheim
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 8,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Wow Montreal seams to be the hot spot for this years UFA pool. Hossa, Selanne and Lecavalier!! They will be stacked
What do you mean this year? It's always like that.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 05:31 PM
  #64
suprez
Registered User
 
suprez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Laval
Country: Canada
Posts: 869
vCash: 500
We finished first in the eastern conference .Last time it's was 19 years ago.

Now we need to be serious cup contender.I expect the habs to do prety good next season.Even if we get nothing.

Selanee to Montreal?He's close to retirement and he live in Anaheim for now 10 years with his child and wife.He will most likely retire.

Sundin ..Better chance.But many team will want him.Although he said he wanted to play for a canadian team and a contender .Which give us a better chance.He still can pick anyone else.

Hossa . He will resign with the penguins and in 2 years he will be traded.Because they won't be able to keep him due to salary cap.

Luongo .... Bah

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 05:36 PM
  #65
kmart
Registered User
 
kmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,564
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kmart
at the end they trade koivu for a 2nd rounder

kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:50 PM
  #66
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 9,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/253696.html

In the article, Beauchemin thinks that Selanne will either come back to Anaheim, or retire.
Can we send Beauchemin to Montreal?

Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:07 PM
  #67
Pax Macioretty
Registered User
 
Pax Macioretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 15,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Can we send Beauchemin to Montreal?
there's absolutely no problem there

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:52 PM
  #68
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
I was about to post something exactly like this, the Nidermayer brother and everything. It makes a lot of sense IMO. Montreal had a great season and it would be easy for Koivu to plead a case.


By the way, RDS is not a rumours site, so when there's one, it's rarely BS.



I think... his post is 100% English... except maybe "wheer".. I think it's Portuguese or something.
You're kidding right? RDS is constantly spreading rumors. Heck they are the french version of Eklund.

What's really sad is there are Montreal rumors every year and nobody ever signs there.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
  #69
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
You're kidding right? RDS is constantly spreading rumors. Heck they are the french version of Eklund.

What's really sad is there are Montreal rumors every year and nobody ever signs there.
Roman Hamrlik begs to differ.

__________________
Hello, this is a signature
Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 08:36 PM
  #70
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
Sure Hamrlik may be on your second pairing, but as of right now, Hamrlik is your second best d-man (imo anyways).

It's like saying Sarich is the Flames second best d-man because he played on the first pairing, while Phaneuf was on the 2nd pairing.
+1... I don't get this resonning among Habs fans. I love Komisarek as well but to be a top-2 D-Man you've got to know how to play well in the offensive zone... I mean... Komisarek's slapper could barely hurt an insect... Hamrlik has been without any question our most consistent D-Man all season long. He just did it all...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:46 PM
  #71
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
+1... I don't get this resonning among Habs fans. I love Komisarek as well but to be a top-2 D-Man you've got to know how to play well in the offensive zone... I mean... Komisarek's slapper could barely hurt an insect... Hamrlik has been without any question our most consistent D-Man all season long. He just did it all...
We saw what happened when Hamrlik was out of the lineup, we were not even close to being the same team our defence was atrocious, when Komisarek was out we were still able to win as Gorges stepped up and played well with Markov.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 12:48 AM
  #72
Benny Lava
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anaheim
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 8,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
there's absolutely no problem there
Take him

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 01:19 AM
  #73
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
Sure Hamrlik may be on your second pairing, but as of right now, Hamrlik is your second best d-man (imo anyways).

It's like saying Sarich is the Flames second best d-man because he played on the first pairing, while Phaneuf was on the 2nd pairing.
Wasn't that because he can't play defense?

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 01:34 AM
  #74
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!
 
Sean Garrity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Nut
Country: United States
Posts: 9,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
Take him
serioully...

Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:53 AM
  #75
Rudolf Yaber
Registered User
 
Rudolf Yaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Wasn't that because he can't play defense?
Nay. Why not stagger your top defenders?

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.