HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Random UFA Idea/Movie title: Signing Ryder.

Old
06-13-2008, 01:38 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Random UFA Idea/Movie title: Signing Ryder.

Hey, listen to me first.

What if we're into free-agent season, most of the big UFA's are gone and no major trades have been made. No Hossa, no Rolston, no Redden, nothing of significance has been DONE, and it appears that no real options remain. Michael Ryder is still available with teams offering him contracts.

I think many people here, like I do, are expecting him to leave this summer. However, I'm equally sure that many people here also expect Ryder to be able to bounce back and become the feared 30 goal sniper that he was, in a long lost far away land (pretty much). I think Ryder had an off year, and while I'm not 100% positive, I think that if the scenario that no one of real interest was available occurs, then Ryder could be an option. Look at a guy like Jarret Stoll in Edmonton, with a similar skillset (minus the PKing and defensive play, although I didn't find Ryder horrible this year in the D zone). A guy like that has one off year, and many people are writing him off. Look at his stats and his track record, there's almost no way that Stoll, or Ryder for that matter, just got lucky for the past 2 or 3 years. Who here would take Stoll on their hockey team? I know I would.

How often do we see a sniper left for dead then seemingly rejuvenate their careers after a trade or signing? Guys like Kariya, Ribeiro, Huselius even....who were given a chance to shine elsewhere, and took it. What if Ryder found his touch...back in Montreal rather than somewhere else? How good would the Habs look then? It's not my first choice, but it could happen. I wouldn't mind taking what is essentially a waiver on a guy that has had one real "off year" in his career.

Euh....that's all I've got.

Last edited by benji: 06-13-2008 at 01:53 AM. Reason: thread title: was "Sign Ryder" but that sounded too authoritative. I really don't care THAT much.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Slick Nick

He can score, but he'll never be a good hockey player.

No.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
le_sean

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: No!

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Artyukhin*

I think this says more than 1000 words ever could.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~jeffrey/...yder-truck.jpg

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:46 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Fair enough, ryder is underrated in terms of toughness/grit too. He gave quite a few hits this year. In the end though, even if we wanted him, does he still want us?

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:46 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Come onnnnnn, I remember a time when I believed, and it seemed that, every time he would walk out off the boards at the top of circle, he would score. People were watching out when Ryder had the puck. Why can't it happen again?

P.S. This is more for discussion than anything. Like a hypothetical.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 01:54 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
Come onnnnnn, I remember a time when I believed, and it seemed that, every time he would walk out off the boards at the top of circle, he would score. People were watching out when Ryder had the puck. Why can't it happen again?

P.S. This is more for discussion than anything. Like a hypothetical.
The thing is Ryder seems to believe about himself that more than anyone else. So when he gets on the ice he hogs the puck and does way too much. If he kept his game simple like before and just floated around like Brett Hull, putting himself into position for shots, then he'd be effective.

Odd that he becomes more effective by doing less on the ice. He's just that kind of player. He doesn't fit this team anymore.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I'll admit that after Gainey didn't deal Ryder at the end of the deadline it was a sure fire indication that he was going to be re-signed.

But after the was he was handled at the end of the seasons it is obvious that he was expendable.

If the cap space left by Ryder's departure wasn't so significant toward the signing of a UFA this summer I would still have a little bit of desire to resign him. Maybe it's just me living in a crazy world where I want Ryder to bounce back with the Canadiens and return to 30+ goal scoring form.

That being said, I think he will definitely bounce back. I just hope it isn't with a team that we will meet often. =P

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote