Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So if we don't sign Langkow...

Old
06-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Qubax

vCash: 500
So if we don't sign Langkow...

...Were going to have a few extra million on our hands. Plus you still hear that Darryl is in on the Marleau and Jokinen sweepstakes.

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I would like to qwell that rumour. Sutter is tight lipped about anything he does, so for him to go on TV multiple times and say he has signed Langkow to a 4-year deal, I believe it. It will get done. 4 years, 20 million. Book it.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:15 AM
DBU
DBU Hockey™

vCash: 50
Ugh. I don't even know who I'd rather have between Marleau or Jokinen. Apparently, Jokinen's a huge *******, and Marleau's a huge underachiever.

Decisions, decisions..

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 11:20 AM
scoringmachine

Once the draft is over and we know how much the cap will be then you will know whether Langkow will be resigned or not.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

I honestly hope we sign him short term, like 3 years 15 mill, 5 years at 25 million (with an NTC too apperently), is absolutely terrible.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Qubax

I get the feeling Langkow is going to free-agency...I think Sutter and the Langkow camp had a deal in principle but since then the Langow side has thought that free agency might be worth it...This would open up a lot of cash for Darryl to play with. We'll see what happens. Draft day is going to be a big trade day for many teams.

Old
06-14-2008, 12:42 AM
StreakingRed
We Want Gold!

I still think Langkow will re-sign.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Lunatik*

should Langkow walk I say put more stock into quantity than quality... I'm not suggesting going out and getting a bunch of crap players... I am suggesting instead of spending 5 million for a #1 center and another 4-5 to till out the top 6 Sutter could spend the money more evenly and sign 3 guys for 3-4 million to fill out the top 6 and have a more balanced offense

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 05:04 AM
AndersEriksson*

What part of Sutter saying it's a done deal don't you people understand?

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiganticSnake View Post
What part of Sutter saying it's a done deal don't you people understand?
Since when does Sutter tell the truth? He denied even being interested in Hamrlik mere hous before he was signed by the Flames.... he denied Lombardi's extension for months... he even denied Giordano until recently

Old
06-14-2008, 02:31 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Since when does Sutter tell the truth? He denied even being interested in Hamrlik mere hous before he was signed by the Flames.... he denied Lombardi's extension for months... he even denied Giordano until recently
And you don't see a difference in him saying it's a done deal? Teams deny things all the time, girls I've gone out with always deny it when asked. It's normal.

There's no reason Sutter would say they have an agreement in place if they didn't. And if they didn't, wouldn't the agent of mr Langkow have said so?

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Hyperkookeez*

langkow puts up very solid numbers and doesnt hurt the team when hes not scoring

no team will give him more than 5 mil and considering his age and success with calgary it seems wierd that he would leave calgary. this being said, im thinking that langkow sees calgary has his backup plan

id love to see him signed and come back for another season but if he leaves so be it

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Qubax

Quote:
And you don't see a difference in him saying it's a done deal? Teams deny things all the time, girls I've gone out with always deny it when asked. It's normal.

There's no reason Sutter would say they have an agreement in place if they didn't. And if they didn't, wouldn't the agent of mr Langkow have said so?
Well what's the hold up then? If he's signed, why isn't it official?

I really don't think Langkow will sign, and I for one am excited about the prospects.

Darryl has a lot tied up in immediate success: Dion, Jarome, Miikka, Robyn. If Langkow indeed does not resign, then Darryl will save 4 mill and have a ton of incentive to find a way to get a deal done for a Marleau or Jokinen. There's not mjch free agency wise, and I kinda doubt we are in on the Hossa and Sundin sweepstakes.

Old
06-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Treliving The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post

I really don't think Langkow will sign, and I for one am excited about the prospects.

Darryl has a lot tied up in immediate success: Dion, Jarome, Miikka, Robyn. If Langkow indeed does not resign, then Darryl will save 4 mill and have a ton of incentive to find a way to get a deal done for a Marleau or Jokinen. There's not mjch free agency wise, and I kinda doubt we are in on the Hossa and Sundin sweepstakes.
If Langkow doesn't re-sign than Sutter would have to trade assets to acquire a Jokinen or a Marleau. Tanguay would likely have to be dealt in order to get one of those two guys. If you re-sign Langkow you don't need to trade an asset to fill the hole that Langkow would leave.

Treliving The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:23 AM
chubeyr

Quote:

A weak rumor says langkow is going to be paid based off the percentage of the salary cap, which is unknown until after the draft. So maybe that is why he has not signed yet.

Never the less we are stronger with him than without him. I dont see him as a number one centre who deserves 5 million. He is so invisible on the ice yet he does put up numbers consistently. Yet he lacks that wow factor. A very solid player he is.

Do I want Marleau? No! Jokinnen Yes! Joki can carry a line like Iggy. It doesant matter who is on with them they still produce. That is what langkow lacks. He never carries a line.

Never the less he is a solid player,
I just hope his contract is not stupid.

chubeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr View Post
A weak rumor says langkow is going to be paid based off the percentage of the salary cap, which is unknown until after the draft. So maybe that is why he has not signed yet.

Never the less we are stronger with him than without him. I dont see him as a number one centre who deserves 5 million. He is so invisible on the ice yet he does put up numbers consistently. Yet he lacks that wow factor. A very solid player he is.

Do I want Marleau? No! Jokinnen Yes! Joki can carry a line like Iggy. It doesant matter who is on with them they still produce. That is what langkow lacks. He never carries a line.

Never the less he is a solid player,
I just hope his contract is not stupid.
Langkow may not have that 'wow factor' but he is far from invisible on the ice

Old
06-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Buttonwood
$$$

vCash: 924
We'd end up losing more cap space and tradeable assests by aquiring either guy. I think back at $5M per would be a better choice.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:26 PM
scoringmachine

Quote:

It looks like Langkow may remain in a Calgary Flames uniform. This is my thought of Langkow remaining or we go after Patrick Marleau or Oli Jokinen.

Lets look at Langkow. When he is surrounded with the right players he can score and uses is body. When he can't score he does sacrifice his body. Also he will be cheaper than Marleau and Jokinen as it look like we can have him at 4 million.

Patrick Marleau is still under contract for two more years at 6.3 million per year. He is a good scorer when surrounded by the right players. Last season his point total dropped which is why he being shopped around. In order for the Flames to get him they would have to make trade with the Sharks and with the Sharks knowing that the Flames will use Marleau as a number one center they may ask for more than what the Flames may want to give to get him. Example they may want draft picks, prospect and a top 6 forward.

Oli Jokinen is still under contract for two more years at 5.25million and 5.5million. Rumor has it that Florida would like to trade him. He would fit well with the Flames, but I do not know what Florida would want in return from the Flames except Tanguay. We cannot lose Tanguay as he is our top LW knowing that Huselius will be not be resigned.

Sutter since he became GM of Calgary loved to work with veteran players. After three straight years of not going passed the first round it looks like he starting to want younger players. The best prospect on the Flames are not ready for the NHL just yet. In order to get younger quicker Sutter needs to find younger players who have some NHL experience. To do this he needs money. By signing Langkow it gives Sutter some Flexibility to get the players he wants on the team. Oli Jokinen and Patrick Marleau are good players but will eat up too much of the Flames cap if the Flames aquire anyone of those players so Sutter's best choice it to re-sign Langkow.

Last edited by scoringmachine: 06-15-2008 at 11:30 PM.
scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Qubax

Obviously you are going to have to trade Tanguay and probably a Boyd, Irving, Pardy etc...

But the second you trade Tanguay you've now also got 9 million dollars of room. If said player makes 6 or 7 mill. Then you've still got 2-3 million bucks to add a decent Top 9 winger.

Old
06-16-2008, 12:15 AM
It's Iggy Time

Quote:
Obviously you are going to have to trade Tanguay and probably a Boyd, Irving, Pardy etc...

But the second you trade Tanguay you've now also got 9 million dollars of room. If said player makes 6 or 7 mill. Then you've still got 2-3 million bucks to add a decent Top 9 winger.
Ya I agree, the only thing is I dont see them trading Boyd or Irving (or I hope not). But I have wanted to trade for Oli Jokinen for a while and think he would be awesome in a flames jersey.

Love this time of year cant wait for the draft!!!!

It's Iggy Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Roger Millions reported friday this deal may not happen because Langkow's agent is pointing his towards free agency. Apparently the Jackets are very interested in Langkow.

Wasn't Millions the same guy saying Regehr or Phaneuf wouldn't sign? I don't believe but I do believe Columbus would want Langkow. They really need a centre.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
bob_the_fish

Quote:

Someone on a forums board has dates with Girls?

*laughing at myself for posting this while posting on a forums board*

bob_the_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 05:48 PM
StreakingRed
We Want Gold!

Quote:
* On an unrelated topic, Sutter repeated the statement that he's got an agreement with Daymond Langkow on a new contract and that the media only has it "half right" when it comes to the deal. Either Sutter is bluffing, or he's saying that either the term or the dollars (or both) on the rumoured four-year, $20-million deal are off base. As to any doubts the deal will get done, Sutter said he was an honourable person and that Langkow was also an honourable person and he expects both sides to live up to the verbal agreement. It seems like the official announcement won't be made before July 1.

* On another unrelated topic, one that makes sense given the Flames' tight payroll situation, Sutter says Calgary won't be a major player in the UFA market this summer. Besides, says Sutter, the crop this off-season isn't that great.

http://communities.canada.com/calgar...the-draft.aspx

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Qubax

hmm interesting, maybe he will sign then...

Old
06-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Lunatik*

as it stands the flames at pretty much at the cap... and until next years cap figures are announced and made official the flames can not sign anyone to anything that will raise their cap figure... re-signing Langkow right now would do this and put them over the cap for next season... if they wait until the new cap is official then they have 5-6 million in wiggle room until expiring contracts are off the books