HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

This is the panic button...click me!

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Lafontaine

vCash: 500
This is the panic button...click me!

Ok, it is definitely time for something to happen. Buffalo is going nuts and the Isles aren't slowing down either. Zednik is hurt and Souray is out. Despite what some of you might say about us not being meant to make the play-offs anyways this year, the play-offs are a HUGE deal, both for the experience it would give our young players, and the extra cash it would earn our franchise. And when I say its time to PANIC, I don't base the comment on specifics about how the team, or certain players have played. What I'm talking about it is a simple, straight forward common sense reaction to a team's turn for the worse at a pivitol time in the season. I think that anytime a team is in solid play-off standing with 25 games to go and then suddenly takes a nose dive, any good GM is obligated to do SOMETHING to shake up his troops. I'm not saying trade away the future, and I won't lose faith in Bob if he stands still. However, if a trade were ever going to happen, logic would dictate that now is the time. I wouldn't suggest tearing away at the confidence of the main group by dealing one of our regulars, but we got driftwood like Perreault, Juneau, Dagenais sitting around, and nobody would miss them or the likes of Hossa/Hainsey if it meant bringing in a helpful peice to the puzzle. Come on Mr. Gainey, work some magic!

Old
02-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine
Come on Mr. Gainey, work some magic!
Well it's hard to work Magic, when you have nothing to use to make that magic. Seriously... what kind of Magic are we going to get out of perreault, Juneau or Dagenais?? I think we'd get some pretty crappy magic, and a lot of laughs from ppl. of embarressment.

Old
02-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Zednik's not injured.

People, just relax for now. If we lose on Tuesday vs ATL and Buffalo wins against those same Thrashers on Monday and cuts the lead to only 4 pts, then YES you can start panicking.

Bottom line, the team must forget about those 3 games, pick up the pieces, remember they didn't play ALL that baddly in each of those 3 games, get their batteries recharged emotionally and physically and start doing the things to win again.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:24 AM
SHUDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine
Ok, it is definitely time for something to happen. Buffalo is going nuts and the Isles aren't slowing down either. Zednik is hurt and Souray is out. Despite what some of you might say about us not being meant to make the play-offs anyways this year, the play-offs are a HUGE deal, both for the experience it would give our young players, and the extra cash it would earn our franchise. And when I say its time to PANIC, I don't base the comment on specifics about how the team, or certain players have played. What I'm talking about it is a simple, straight forward common sense reaction to a team's turn for the worse at a pivitol time in the season. I think that anytime a team is in solid play-off standing with 25 games to go and then suddenly takes a nose dive, any good GM is obligated to do SOMETHING to shake up his troops. I'm not saying trade away the future, and I won't lose faith in Bob if he stands still. However, if a trade were ever going to happen, logic would dictate that now is the time. I wouldn't suggest tearing away at the confidence of the main group by dealing one of our regulars, but we got driftwood like Perreault, Juneau, Dagenais sitting around, and nobody would miss them or the likes of Hossa/Hainsey if it meant bringing in a helpful peice to the puzzle. Come on Mr. Gainey, work some magic!
I really have a hard time understanding the logic in the posts of you guys who say something has to happen. What makes you believe that if "SOMETHING" Happens, it will make the team any better?

I think we are missing the purpose of this season, It was to develope some young players. I think that even if we don't make the playofs, there has been great accomplishment this year with the development of Ryder, and Riberio. I agree that it would be nice to make the playoffs, but remember that with the great play of our team since the start of he season, we have surpassed everybodys expectations of this season.

Also, there is no reason to press the panic button just yet. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe we lost three in a row before the all star game, only to win 3 just before the break.

Nothing good could come out of paniced decisions. Lets keep the team the way it is and make some decisions, when there is really time to think. Do we want to take the gamble in making some changes right now to fix our short term problems? (See the New York Rangers to see what decisions like these do) Or do we want to stick to our game plan to have a team that will compete withing the next five years (See the Ottawa Senators to see what decisions like these do.) I think we should stick to the game plan. We do have a bright future, if we are willing to wait. GO HABS GO

Old
02-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Lafontaine

Like I said....

Like I was saying, I don't think we should take anything away from the core we have, but that doesn't mean we sit back and do nothing while saying "oh well, we weren't supposed to make the play-offs anyways". We have Perreault who, while useless in my books, has some (even if its very small) trade value, and a prospect like Hossa who could garner some trade value in return. Don't get me wrong, I am strongly opposed to the type of moves Montreal has been pressured into in the past, just to appease their "WIN NOW" fans. But that's not what I'm talking about here. Gainey has some assets that almost certainly will be moved. If he is going to make a trade, why not do it right now? The team needs a boost. Even small trades can get that done. Usually the new player comes in with boat loads of energy trying to make his mark (ie. Kilger). It should also accomplish injecting a sense of urgency into the players. I mean, I'm not saying that I know what the Hab's dressing room needs right now in the sense of morale, but just as a general rule, these kind of tweaks to a lineup help a team. Surely the players would be excited to see another hard hitting 4th or 5th defenceman like Gauthier, or a Dagenais replacement brought in for the 2nd line brought into the fold. I believe that even a rebuilding team has to show its willing to add to it's self to try and win every season - especially when we are so close!

Old
02-15-2004, 01:25 PM
felixd

Shudo is absolutely right. Let's not address our short term problems at the expense of our future. Lafontaine, just chill out a little, if the habs make the playoffs, good for us, let's see how much we can ride the train. If we trade for Gonchar or any other veteran in a trade which includes prospects and we don't make the playoffs, everyone will regret that trade. I say, let it be, and when we are Cup contenders, can we start making deals to plug holes before the playoffs. But for now, let's wait for our youth to develop.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:48 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
look up rebuilding in the dictionary and you will see patience. This is the year that we weed out the players that do not fit into the system and find what we have in our system that fits into the future of this team
our prospects are what gives us a brighter future
the mentality of trading them is what got us into this position we see ourselves in now
we need a power forward that can score, a superstar
they are indeed hard to come by and are very costly
BUT with all the experimenting with lines in this rebuilding year would he have an impact this season?

IMO we stay the course and truly evaluate what we have, see what the CBA situation is and then see what our needs really are and what is available for UFA's.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
GOGOGO hits the panic Button!!

ehhh, hey where he is?? I cant find the button.

Oh well, I might as well wait another week before hitting it...

We were on a 3wins streak before all stars break.

We lost to Florida... no big deal, it can happen, we do not dominate but managed to shoot like 45 times. Not many dangerous shoots but would Luongo have been only GOOD, we would have win this one... Add to that they scores the Game winning goal from a board pass... Bad lost, but can and will happen a few times in a season

Then Comes the Lightning... They are about 20-4-1 in their last 25 games... St-Louis could scores from the BENCH these days and it was the reason we lost...
We cannot really complains about this lost.

Then comes who? AAH yes Ottawa. Perhaps the only team in the nhl who could beat us 10 times out of 10... This is the perfect team to play against us in all the nhl except perhaps "average-good" goaltender... They are doing all the things we are with better and faster players... This is the VERY top team i would be scare to face in the playoffs in the entire league as a first encounter... Mind you, it's very possible we do...

It's still 3 losts in a row but...

Old
02-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Disco Volante

Old
02-15-2004, 02:14 PM
habsfansam

no need to panic... at all!

What good would a trade do right now? It'd show the team that if they ever fail to produce points in 3 consecutive games that they are likely to see a teammate sent off to "stir things up". Bull****! Gainey said when he came in that he wanted to create an atmosphere of stability... calling for trades when a team so young as buffalo gets hot while we have a mild cold-streak is jumping the gun by a long shot.
chances are greater that buffalo would fade away than that the habs current woes would continue.

I agree that this season has already been a great success... we've found great talent in Sheldon Souray; Mike Ribiero has come very far offensively and if you watched yesterdays game he was throwing solid hits and even "scrapped" with Chara; Michael Ryder has been a sweet surprise with 40 points (almost as many as Zetterberg had in his rookie campaign); Steve Begin scored a beauty last night and is once again electrifying the audience with big hits and sweet defensive plays; Jason Ward has been very good recently and looks to be a guy who can play just about anywhere and be effective... Garon has played well in his backup position and deserves a lot of credit for having a good outing last night coming into a game late against a very hot opponent; Theodore has returned to form and was even defended by "his highness the french-canadian/euro-hater, don cherry". Jan Bulis has played well, Dagenais has produced offense when called on, Zednik has quietly been on his way to another 20+goal season. On defense we've seen lots of good things from oldtimers and new guys... Hainsey looked okay when he was up, and Komisarek spends more time on the ice now with Souray gone (he dominated the game for about 4 minutes last night right after the penalty... i was impressed), Markov is scoring again and is on pace for another 30+point season... even Brisbois has been very solid this season!

Hell, what more do you want??

If that isn't enough, look at the farm club... second best record in the AHL and we've got kids stepping up all over the place: Plekanec, Balej, Ferland, Milroy, Perezhogin, Higgins. To boot, we were ranked #1 in prospects recently!

Don't let success get in the way of goalsetting... we hoped for a decent team that would compete every night, and we're getting it more consistently than anytime in the past 5 years. We hoped that Julien would prove to be a decent NHL coach, or that we would find one... he's passing with flying colors for a guy with only 1 NHL season under his belt. We hoped a young guy would step in and be effective... Ribiero, and Ryder have easily accomplished this one and the season isn't over. We wanted a more physical team... Begin, Langdon, Ryder, Ward, Souray, Quintal, and Komisarek are big hitters and even Brisbois has been hitting well. These were our goals at the beginning of the season, and we're right on top of all of them.

Relax.

Closed Thread