HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Peter DeBoer is the new Panthers Head Coach

Old
06-14-2008, 08:19 AM
blackpanthers

vCash: 500
Nice to read some of the quotes in Goren's article in today's Sun Sentinel.

Martin chooses DeBoer as coach

Stephen Weiss:
"He's very intense. ... He's not afraid to raise his voice and put the fear of God in you, At the same time, he's extremely fair."

"If something needs to be said to you during the course of a game, if [DeBoer] doesn't like something going on, he's going to let you know about it, And he's going to tell why."

Peter DeBoer:
"All of my teams play an aggressive style of hockey, We'll pursue the puck, we'll be a speed team, and we'll be an attacking team."

Last edited by blackpanthers: 06-14-2008 at 08:21 AM. Reason: added a quote
blackpanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I'm happy that its new blood from outside the NHL. I couldnt have stand Maurice, Quinn etc here

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:38 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I'm happy that its new blood from outside the NHL. I couldnt have stand Maurice, Quinn etc here
Maurice and DeBoer were roomates once.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
For those that forget, Neal was the Herald's orginal Panther Beat Writer.

"DeBoer gets opportunity, needs players"
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/570037.html
Well, I don't really care for Neal, but if you're going to take his view, then the plan Martin has set forth is the best course of action to meet Neal's objectives. He's targeting a top end puck moving d-man this summer, and over the next year or two, Matthias, Frolik, and Repik will be worked into the roster giving you that "extra scoring line". It's not going to happen overnight. You can't just go," I want to be like Pittsburgh", and get it done in one summer unless you have tremendous cap space and unreal luck with UFA's.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Peter DeBoer:
"All of my teams play an aggressive style of hockey, We'll pursue the puck, we'll be a speed team, and we'll be an attacking team.[/quote]

This is the quote I'm liking the most. The more I read about this guy the more and more I'm approving of this move. This is exactly what a lot of us have been asking for, a coach that will open up the game offensively and show some passion behind the bench.

I'd like to reserve judgment until some games have been played and we see what system he implements, but give another preliminary +1 to Martin as GM. He hasn't been perfect so far, that's for sure, but it seems like he's really building this team in the long term. I just REALLY hope that he realizes this team needs short term help offensively, too.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:53 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers_Fan View Post
I am indifferent as I know very little about him, but I'll give him a blank slate. Hopefully, he can motivate this team into the playoffs!
Im the same way. I dont know anything about the guy, so its a fresh start. If what Ive read about him though is true, I like it. We need a loud mouth, in your face coach. I love his quote about being a fast team, an aggressive team and an attacking team. Seems we wont have to worry about him sitting on a lead like weve always done under JM. I cant wait for the season to start.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Maybe he could take Stewart's work ethic to the next level?
HAHA! That's just down right hilarious!

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 11:07 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
HAHA! That's just down right hilarious!
Actually..some know im not a fan of DeBoer (Mainly cause im a diehard Bulls fan)...but if any coach can do it..its DeBoer. He will work your ass all night long.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:08 PM
CanadianPantherFan

When is the presser' or did it already take place and where?

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Holy Jokinen

The official presser is supposed to be Monday.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Crossbar

Very happy with this hire by Martin, was hoping we'd hire some new blood, even with Martin telling the media outlets that he wasn't looking to hire anyone from the Junior ranks, he did it anyhow. DeBoer seems to fit exactly what we need, a coach that shows his emotions/motivates (Martin's weakness), but also works well with young players (Keenan's weakness), and has a good overall system. We'll see what happens next season!

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
Very happy with this hire by Martin, was hoping we'd hire some new blood, even with Martin telling the media outlets that he wasn't looking to hire anyone from the Junior ranks, he did it anyhow.
Yeah, it's apparent Martin likes to throw people off the scent. He also did this when he said he'd probably stick with the Belfour/Auld tandem before ultimately trading for T-Vo. And I think he said we were going to be quite at the trade deadline as well, then we ended up making several moves. You definitely have to take what Martin says with a grain of salt, but in a good way.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Yeah, it's apparent Martin likes to throw people off the scent. He also did this when he said he'd probably stick with the Belfour/Auld tandem before ultimately trading for T-Vo. And I think he said we were going to be quite at the trade deadline as well, then we ended up making several moves. You definitely have to take what Martin says with a grain of salt, but in a good way.

-ghoste
Well, when you think about it... its a great way to go about things for a GM.

If he doesn't do anything, no one can really say he didn't keep a promise.

And when he does make a move, everyone is surprised. Hopefully its a pleasant surprise more often than not.

Old
06-15-2008, 12:33 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
The more I read about Deboer, the more I like this decision.

I can't wait to see how he motivates this bunch.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
The more I read about Deboer, the more I like this decision.

I can't wait to see how he motivates this bunch.

AGREED

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Heimy

I like this move too. In particular with regard to either keeping or dealing Olli. Now if Olli does stay we know he'll be backchecking his tail off.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

-ghoste
I agree, and was figuring the whole time that Martin saying he didn't have to sign a guy until after FA started was just him blowing smoke. The guy doesn't tip his hand, which works for me as he's been able to sneak it, seemingly. Not many saw us getting Vokoun and noone knew Deboer was on the radar. Why put things out there to make rival GMs wonder if they could offer more?

06-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I agree, and was figuring the whole time that Martin saying he didn't have to sign a guy until after FA started was just him blowing smoke. The guy doesn't tip his hand, which works for me as he's been able to sneak it, seemingly. Not many saw us getting Vokoun and noone knew Deboer was on the radar. Why put things out there to make rival GMs wonder if they could offer more?
I wonder if him saying he will try and sign a puck-moving defenceman means he is going after a goal-scoring winger? He can easily keep Cullimore who was great and sign a winger instead. I'm calling it now. JM will sign Hossa to play wing with Jokinen! I wanna see what some of you JM bashers have to say about him when that happens.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I wonder if him saying he will try and sign a puck-moving defenceman means he is going after a goal-scoring winger? He can easily keep Cullimore who was great and sign a winger instead. I'm calling it now. JM will sign Hossa to play wing with Jokinen! I wanna see what some of you JM bashers have to say about him when that happens.
Heh, i've been wary of keeping Cullimore. Towards the end of the season he lagged a bit, and he's only getting older. I mean, no doubt that he completely exceeded expectations and played very well, but i'm just not sure if its worth the risk. If it is, then i'll be happy, but i'm just saying, if we can improve on him, then i would hope we would.

Old
06-15-2008, 12:05 PM
zeroG

Quote:
hehehe... THAT would be a riot!

however, cullimore is the antithesis of a PMD

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Heh, i've been wary of keeping Cullimore. Towards the end of the season he lagged a bit, and he's only getting older. I mean, no doubt that he completely exceeded expectations and played very well, but i'm just not sure if its worth the risk. If it is, then i'll be happy, but i'm just saying, if we can improve on him, then i would hope we would.
I would rather him sign Cullimore and a goal scoring winger then not sign Cullimore and sign an expensive puck-moving defenseman. That's all I was implying. I know Cullimore is getting old but he played really well for us. As for lagging towards the end can you name one Panther besides Booth that wasn't.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
Honestly let's not get carried away. I can see JM signing someone like Naslund to a reasonable contract. His price would be relatively cheap and he wants to play in a more offensive system.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Funny, I recently re-watched the awesome 4-3 win in Carolina and Cully didn't have a good game. He just couldn't keep up with the pace. Granted, that's just one game and all. But since Cully and Johansson are kinda on the same level and word is Cully should be getting quite the raise, I wouldn't mind going with the less expensive Magnus.

On the defense side of things, I'm more interested in what's in store for Van Ryn. If Martin is indeed looking to add a multi-million dollar defenseman, as well as giving Bouw his big raise, it would seem we'd need to cut Van Ryn's $3 million dollar contract. But I really don't see any takers because of Mike's injuries. We'll see.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Funny, I recently re-watched the awesome 4-3 win in Carolina and Cully didn't have a good game. He just couldn't keep up with the pace. Granted, that's just one game and all. But since Cully and Johansson are kinda on the same level and word is Cully should be getting quite the raise, I wouldn't mind going with the less expensive Magnus.

On the defense side of things, I'm more interested in what's in store for Van Ryn. If Martin is indeed looking to add a multi-million dollar defenseman, as well as giving Bouw his big raise, it would seem we'd need to cut Van Ryn's $3 million dollar contract. But I really don't see any takers because of Mike's injuries. We'll see.

-ghoste
I'd like to see Cully re-signed because I thought he did well last year and adds a veteran presence that's needed on this team. I also am wary not really of his age, but he could tale off greatly this coming season and not be at all what he was last season. I'd also like to see Magnus re-signed as I think he did fairly well here and he's not near the liability on defense that Murphy is. I think that in order for him to be re-signed, though, Murphy would have to be on the way out.

Bouw-Allen
PMD-Skrastins
Welch-Johansson/Murphy/Cullimore/Ryno.

Or...
Bouw-Allen
PMD-Skrats
Welch-Ryno/Murphy as it looks right now, right?

While he makes to much to be a bottom pairing guy, I wouldn't mind seeing what Ryno paired with Welch would turn out.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:31 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
The logic on this board is terrible. If JM says he is going to do something and then does the opposite the people complaining about signing a d-man are proven right. The people who find a way to agree with every move JM might make are proven wrong.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote