HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter DeBoer is the new Panthers Head Coach

Old
06-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Holy Jokinen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
The logic on this board is terrible. If JM says he is going to do something and then does the opposite the people complaining about signing a d-man are proven right. The people who find a way to agree with every move JM might make are proven wrong.
No one is forcing you to "endure" our logic.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:46 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
No one is forcing you to "endure" our logic.
LOL. I'm just trying to show people the light here! If people are going to call out "JM bashers" then I will respond accordingly.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
LOL. I'm just trying to show people the light here! If people are going to call out "JM bashers" then I will respond accordingly.
Well, i mean.. no disrespect at all, but you find problems with the Vokoun trade.

Its hard NOT to consider you a JM basher.

I mean, as i've said, many of us have called out JM in the past. But we have the ability to pat him on the back when he does something that helps the club.

With our history with GMs, i think JM is at least 25x better than the others. I just don't get why people are so eager to kick out the best GM this organization has had in quite some time.

Old
06-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I would rather him sign Cullimore and a goal scoring winger then not sign Cullimore and sign an expensive puck-moving defenseman. That's all I was implying. I know Cullimore is getting old but he played really well for us. As for lagging towards the end can you name one Panther besides Booth that wasn't.
erm.. if you think signing Cullimore shores up our problems on defense, you're sadly mistaking. IMO Cullimore is not anything more than a 5th defenseman and to use him beyond that is well sad. He played good for what we needed him. Does not mean he is some solid top 4 dman by ANY means. I'd rather have Redden by leaps and bounds.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:22 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Well, i mean.. no disrespect at all, but you find problems with the Vokoun trade.

I mean, as i've said, many of us have called out JM in the past. But we have the ability to pat him on the back when he does something that helps the club.

With our history with GMs, i think JM is at least 25x better than the others. I just don't get why people are so eager to kick out the best GM this organization has had in quite some time.

I don't have problems with the trade itself (the picks for vokoun was probably a good trade).

I have problems with us spending 6 million dollars on a goalie during the salary cap era. I'm not a believer of spending a ton of money on a goalie. I would not have signed Roberto to a 7million+ contract. Goalies, imo are not worth that money.

I gave him credit for Cullimore and Johansson...Getting Matthias for Bertuzzi was also a decent move. Much like our prospects and players, JM is overrated.

Old
06-15-2008, 04:23 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:

Also, I'm not a basher, I'm a critic. I back everything I saw with reasoning.

Old
06-15-2008, 04:27 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Because even though he's the best we've had in recent history, he still hasn't produced a postseason appearance.

Granted, he hasn't had much time in the personnel seat to make enough noise. Given that, I'll continue to be patient and hope it starts coming together this next season.

But, trust me, my patience with this organization wears thinner every year, so I can totally understand if some fans currently think our best GM in recent history isn't good enough to get us into the playoffs.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Bouw-Allen
PMD-Skrastins
Welch-Johansson/Murphy/Cullimore/Ryno.

Or...
Bouw-Allen
PMD-Skrats
Welch-Ryno/Murphy as it looks right now, right?

While he makes to much to be a bottom pairing guy, I wouldn't mind seeing what Ryno paired with Welch would turn out.
I wouldn't mind if Smurf is sent packing. Especially if someone like Liles is signed. And I wouldn't mind if Van Ryn played on the 3rd pairing as long as he's playing. Does anyone know how much it would be to buy him out? We can't afford to have $3 million-plus sit in the press box any longer. Not with Bouw's expected raise and a supposedly new multi-million dollar defenseman.

EDIT: For giggles, I did some math. Although it may be incorrect:

Van Ryn is owed $6.7 million for the two years remaining on his contract.
As far as I know, the buyout option is 2/3 of the contract over twice the length.
Meaning $4.5 million spread over the next 4 years at $1.125 million per year (against the cap).

This would save us $2.225 in cap space per year, for the next two.

Do I have this right?

-ghoste

Last edited by Ghoste: 06-15-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Martin simply has done what any GM's job is to do. Make a team that can win. For me, he hasn't done anything outstanding yet, I'll respect him more when or if we make it to the playoffs, but to call him a good GM yet is pushing it.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
Martin simply has done what any GM's job is to do. Make a team that can win. For me, he hasn't done anything outstanding yet, I'll respect him more when or if we make it to the playoffs, but to call him a good GM yet is pushing it.
Yeah, obviously, history decides if he's a good GM or not.

And i understand criticizing a GM, cause they each make good and bad decisions, so there's no harm there.

I just think the people who want JM gone are actually calling for something that hurts the organization a lot more than it would help. As far as i'm concerned he's taken about 4 steps forward and one step back.

Now its time to cross that playoff line. I completely and fully expect JM to produce that this season. Anything less, and i'll be rather vocal about it.

Old
06-15-2008, 11:08 PM
PanthersFanatic12

I am sure most of you have visted the panthers site today but for people who havent . Our new head coach is having a press conference at 11am tomorrow live on the panthers official web site.

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
The logic on this board is terrible. If JM says he is going to do something and then does the opposite the people complaining about signing a d-man are proven right. The people who find a way to agree with every move JM might make are proven wrong.
Quote:
Again, you're not seeing things clearly. Who's agreeing with Kilger? I see no reason to hammer it to death, though, and don't think it's 100% Jacques' fault, either. It's dumb to think that it is. I wasn't happy with his signing Zednik or Dvorak at the time, but I'm also smart enough to understand what the reasoning behind it is. I wasn't happy with the Stumpel re-signing AT ALL, but I also understand why, he had good numbers the year prior.

many of us see the good that he's done and see that it outwieghs the bad, most of the "bashers" don't see that and ignore a lot of facts. Such as what was here when Martin took over and that it generally takes a few years for a new GM to implement his vision for a team. The 'bashers' frustrations with ownership carry over onto Martin.

Seriously, there's no light to show anyone. We're all pretty smart people and understand this game. As it's been said, noone's forcing you to stay here. It's not been all roses, but it's also not been as horrible a picture as you guys paint. We see what's going on.

06-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I don't have problems with the trade itself (the picks for vokoun was probably a good trade).

I have problems with us spending 6 million dollars on a goalie during the salary cap era. I'm not a believer of spending a ton of money on a goalie. I would not have signed Roberto to a 7million+ contract. Goalies, imo are not worth that money.

I gave him credit for Cullimore and Johansson...Getting Matthias for Bertuzzi was also a decent move. Much like our prospects and players, JM is overrated.
Yeah but, most of the GMs in the NHL disagree with you. Aren't Ottawa(even though they made the playoffs, they sill clearly have goalie issues), TBL, and LA proof enough? While Carolina and Detroit, even though Osgood is a bit underrated imo, have both won, Anaheim still won with Giggy. That's not exactly overwhelmng proof.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:51 AM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
I am sure most of you have visted the panthers site today but for people who havent . Our new head coach is having a press conference at 11am tomorrow live on the panthers official web site.
The time is changed to 1pm today.

Old
06-16-2008, 02:00 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
The time is changed to 1pm today.
Bah I'm at work and I just ran back to the office to check the time and it was 12:30 and i came back later and it was 1:55, ugh that sucked. Did anyone see it? Was it just an introduction or did he outline what he wanted to do for the team?

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 06:36 PM
PanthersFanatic12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Bah I'm at work and I just ran back to the office to check the time and it was 12:30 and i came back later and it was 1:55, ugh that sucked. Did anyone see it? Was it just an introduction or did he outline what he wanted to do for the team?
U can rewatch the press conference , its up on the panthers site now . And yes it was more of an intro . He talked about why he choose the panthers , a little about his coaching tactics , and some of the young players we have . JM talked about why he choose Deboer.

Old
06-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
erm.. if you think signing Cullimore shores up our problems on defense, you're sadly mistaking. IMO Cullimore is not anything more than a 5th defenseman and to use him beyond that is well sad. He played good for what we needed him. Does not mean he is some solid top 4 dman by ANY means. I'd rather have Redden by leaps and bounds.
I didn't say he can be a top 4 dman. All I said was that I would rather sign Cullimore and a scoring winger then sign a puck-moving dman. That's it.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Olli not to be captain anymore??? I wonder if Weiss is given the "C"? Here is a quote from our new head coach Deboer himself.

DeBoer said he had not thought about who would serve as captain next season.

Well get to that, Im sure, in the next few weeks, he said.

Old
06-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

RUMOR:

Saying Paul Maurice can still join the Panthers bench as an assistant if he can't find a job elsewhere.

Old
06-16-2008, 09:12 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Olli not to be captain anymore??? I wonder if Weiss is given the "C"? Here is a quote from our new head coach Deboer himself.

DeBoer said he had not thought about who would serve as captain next season.

Well get to that, Im sure, in the next few weeks, he said.
He said that because he hasn't met his players at all yet (as he said earlier in the conference)...you're the new EKLUND!!! lol jk

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:20 PM
PanthersRule96

lol It'd be a joke to make Weiss the captain now. He's out of the lineup with injuries a lot and he also didn't even hit 50 points this past year. I like him a lot and he means a lot to this team but he's still too young to be a captain IMO. I'd throw it on someone like Cullimore or someone like that long before any of our young guys. I do believe Weiss will be a C in the future though. If VanRyn can regain his solid form, he should be an A if we need one.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:25 PM
zeroG

Quote:
He said that because he hasn't met his players at all yet (as he said earlier in the conference)...you're the new EKLUND!!! lol jk
someone a few months ago called something innocuous "telling". imnsho, deboer's laugh after being asked that question *was* telling. it's clear that this is an issue he is familiar with and realizes is sensitive. whether he gleaned that from reading the old stories in the press or via JM we don't know but team leadership is obviously something that is on his radar. JM would have taken a lot of criticism for stripping the C from olli when he came in (though he should have) but now it HAS to be done, for olli's sake and for the team's sake. deboer clearly knows that. this all assumes that olli stays. perhaps that laugh was telling wrt that as well.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
someone a few months ago called something innocuous "telling". imnsho, deboer's laugh after being asked that question *was* telling. it's clear that this is an issue he is familiar with and realizes is sensitive. whether he gleaned that from reading the old stories in the press or via JM we don't know but team leadership is obviously something that is on his radar. JM would have taken a lot of criticism for stripping the C from olli when he came in (though he should have) but now it HAS to be done, for olli's sake and for the team's sake. deboer clearly knows that. this all assumes that olli stays. perhaps that laugh was telling wrt that as well.
Hah... Or maybe he laughed cause he just got off the plane and went directly to the BAC where he immediately held a press conference and had signed the actual contract literally moments before the question was asked.

he's gotta move his family here etc...

I don't think he's thought about who to take the C away from or who to give it to.

I DO think he should get a clean slate and determine who the captain is, if anyone, when camp rolls around.

Old
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Hah... Or maybe he laughed cause he just got off the plane and went directly to the BAC where he immediately held a press conference and had signed the actual contract literally moments before the question was asked.

he's gotta move his family here etc...

I don't think he's thought about who to take the C away from or who to give it to.

I DO think he should get a clean slate and determine who the captain is, if anyone, when camp rolls around.
my point was not that he's thought about or knows what he going to do, just that he's keenly aware of the issue. he's been the head coach now for 4 days but was interviewed probably just after the mem. cup. perhaps GR can confirm (without being too provocative) but i'd be willing to bet that the issue of team C has come up, as has olli's potential trade.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
I was merely saying he will probably pick his own captain from what he sees in training camp and pre-season and that Olli would have to earn it if he is to continue wearing it.

You can't call me Eklund because his rumors never come true and Weiss will eventually become our captain making my rumor come true. lol

Last edited by Beezer: 06-17-2008 at 09:30 AM.