HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Is JM going to Do Next?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2008, 06:28 PM
  #1
SufferingCatFan
Registered User
 
SufferingCatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fort lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
What Is JM going to Do Next?

JM, thus far, has been full of surprises. When he was fired as coach, the pundits wrote that he was not interested in being a GM and was looking for a new coaching job? What did JM do? He signed a long term contract to remain as GM only. Next the pundits wrote that GM was looking to bring in a close friend as a coach, who would coach the same style of hockey. GM false carded us all and hired a firebrand, young coach out from under the Senators that no one knew he had any interest in. What other surprises does JM have up his sleeve?

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:45 PM
  #2
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdaddy View Post
JM, thus far, has been full of surprises. When he was fired as coach, the pundits wrote that he was not interested in being a GM and was looking for a new coaching job? What did JM do? He signed a long term contract to remain as GM only. Next the pundits wrote that GM was looking to bring in a close friend as a coach, who would coach the same style of hockey. GM false carded us all and hired a firebrand, young coach out from under the Senators that no one knew he had any interest in. What other surprises does JM have up his sleeve?
Well, at least his bashers around here got a nice helping of foot sandwich. Yeah, DeBoer is SOOOO a Martin clone.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 06:53 PM
  #3
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Well, at least his bashers around here got a nice helping of foot sandwich. Yeah, DeBoer is SOOOO a Martin clone.
So true!

I think he'll trim the fat and hopefully get Bouw signed long term here shortly.

As I've said, Martin never tips his hand, I'm happy about that.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!

Last edited by Acadmus: 06-13-2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: unnecessary personal comment deleted
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 07:13 PM
  #4
RoadDoggFL
Registered User
 
RoadDoggFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Colombia
Posts: 4,804
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
I'm gonna guess that he fires DeBoer, hires Maurice, trades Olli and Bouw to Ottawa for Spezza, and quits to try and get a job with the Sens.

The past few years have all been a rouse, now is the time for him to execute his master plan.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:04 PM
  #5
SufferingCatFan
Registered User
 
SufferingCatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fort lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
I'm gonna guess that he fires DeBoer, hires Maurice, trades Olli and Bouw to Ottawa for Spezza, and quits to try and get a job with the Sens.

The past few years have all been a rouse, now is the time for him to execute his master plan.
I am going to guess that JM does the following during the offseason:

(1) Trades Ollie, Olesz, and other value to Vancouver for the Twins before the draft:

(2) Resigns Bo after July 1

(3) Signs Redden and unloads Van Ryn after July 1

(4) Unloads Stumpel, Peltonen and probably Murphy at first opportunity

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:09 PM
  #6
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdaddy View Post
I am going to guess that JM does the following during the offseason:

(1) Trades Ollie, Olesz, and other value to Vancouver for the Twins before the draft:

(2) Resigns Bo after July 1

(3) Signs Redden and unloads Van Ryn after July 1

(4) Unloads Stumpel, Peltonen and probably Murphy at first opportunity

He will not trade Olesz. He has a mancrush on him. I would love to get the twins, but I know Olesz would not be part of any deal. JM would find something else to give up.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:15 PM
  #7
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie
 
Beezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Country: Brazil
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
I believe JM will do everything he can to sign Bouw before the draft. That way he knows how much & what he has to deal with to try and trade into the 1st round or add something to the roster. Be it a forward to play with Olli or a more expensive forward to replace him?

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:25 PM
  #8
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
I hadn't thought of it at first, but if DeBoer is as billed, a motivator that demands the most of his players, I think Olli will still be a Panther come September. Martin may be gambling that DeBoer can resurrect him. And who knows, maybe he can.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 08:31 PM
  #9
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I hadn't thought of it at first, but if DeBoer is as billed, a motivator that demands the most of his players, I think Olli will still be a Panther come September. Martin may be gambling that DeBoer can resurrect him. And who knows, maybe he can.
I was about to post the same thing. Olli flourished under Keenan, no reason he won't do the same under Deboer.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2008, 09:53 PM
  #10
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig
 
I May Be Wrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I was about to post the same thing. Olli flourished under Keenan, no reason he won't do the same under Deboer.
It's a big risk not moving him at this point in my opinion. Because if he sucks just as bad as last season, we screw ourselves out of a trade involving him. I think it'd still be best to deal him, much to everyone elses disagreement.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 12:22 AM
  #11
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
It's a big risk not moving him at this point in my opinion. Because if he sucks just as bad as last season, we screw ourselves out of a trade involving him. I think it'd still be best to deal him, much to everyone elses disagreement.
While he was lazy at times last season and I was frustrated with him, he was still a PPG player, and he also had to deal with ripping Zednik's neck open.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 03:05 AM
  #12
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
It's a big risk not moving him at this point in my opinion. Because if he sucks just as bad as last season, we screw ourselves out of a trade involving him. I think it'd still be best to deal him, much to everyone elses disagreement.
I wasn't saying whether it is best to trade him or not, simply stating that I think the coaching move suggests Martin probably won't.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:39 AM
  #13
FlaPanthers7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: France
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I was about to post the same thing. Olli flourished under Keenan, no reason he won't do the same under Deboer.
If he does promote a fast attack offense then there's no reason Olli should be happy.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 09:54 AM
  #14
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
If he does promote a fast attack offense then there's no reason Olli should be happy.
Where did you get the idea that he was fast attack offense? He promotes aggressive defense while letting his star players do what they do best.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 06:18 PM
  #15
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
yeah, i'm loving how JM is just shutting everyone up. Its really wonderful to see.

the silence is deafening..

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:23 PM
  #16
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I wasn't saying whether it is best to trade him or not, simply stating that I think the coaching move suggests Martin probably won't.
i don't get it. why? seems to me like everything is as it was two days ago - if he gets good value, he will move him. if he doesn't, olli will stay. either way, i'm ok. if he stays, though, one thing that needs to happen before the start of the season: deboer needs to either find a new C or go without one for a bit; he *can't* go into the season leaving the current on-ice leadership structure in tact. it didn't work and was likely a drag on olli's play. if he doesn't make a change before the season, it will only make it more awkward later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
If he does promote a fast attack offense then there's no reason Olli should be happy.
what is a "fast attack offense"? lol.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:42 PM
  #17
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
yeah, i'm loving how JM is just shutting everyone up. Its really wonderful to see.

the silence is deafening..
LOL @ shutting everyone up. JM just hired a coach who could definitely be a huge failure or a huge success. Only time will tell. Making judgments now is pointless.

I'm shocked he hired someone who isn't as defensive obsessed as himself but this only adds to the credibility as JM being a failure as a head coach in the new NHL. If JM realized what I and many other posters realized we may have been in the playoffs last year. I'm ecstatic he didn't hire a clone of himself. Even JM finally realized his defensive style and passive coaching ability didn't work and showed this with his hire.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:48 PM
  #18
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
LOL @ shutting everyone up. JM just hired a coach who could definitely be a huge failure or a huge success. Only time will tell. Making judgments now is pointless.

I'm shocked he hired someone who isn't as defensive obsessed as himself but this only adds to the credibility as JM being a failure as a head coach in the new NHL. If JM realized what I and many other posters realized we may have been in the playoffs last year. I'm ecstatic he didn't hire a clone of himself. Even JM finally realized his defensive style and passive coaching ability didn't work and showed this with his hire.
He hired the best guy he felt was out there that fit what he sees as this team's needs. It's not like we were the only team after him, like Cunneyworth(I haven't heard anyone else going after him).

It doesn't add to any credibility, though, I'm glad he's just the GM. You really need to get over yourself, especially since you and Gp were more than convinced that JM would hire a clone. Give some credit where it's due.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 07:56 PM
  #19
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He hired the best guy he felt was out there that fit what he sees as this team's needs. It's not like we were the only team after him, like Cunneyworth(I haven't heard anyone else going after him).

It doesn't add to any credibility, though, I'm glad he's just the GM. You really need to get over yourself, especially since you and Gp were more than convinced that JM would hire a clone. Give some credit where it's due.
Meh, I read that Ottawa picked their guy before and then Debour signed the next day with us and San Jose also signed their guy before.

Get over myself? I said I was ecstatic.

If JM thought his style of coaching and system were working the logical thing to do would have been to hire a coach who was similar. With the hiring of a coach who appears to be more different than similar this can lead to my conclusion that it gives credibility to JM being a failure as a head coach.

People need to stop fawning over JM the GM. He has been an average GM so far. Too many people confuse not making terrible moves with being a great GM.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:06 PM
  #20
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Meh, I read that Ottawa picked their guy before and then Debour signed the next day with us and San Jose also signed their guy before.

Get over myself? I said I was ecstatic.

If JM thought his style of coaching and system were working the logical thing to do would have been to hire a coach who was similar. With the hiring of a coach who appears to be more different than similar this can lead to my conclusion that it gives credibility to JM being a failure as a head coach.

People need to stop fawning over JM the GM. He has been an average GM so far. Too many people confuse not making terrible moves with being a great GM.
You also said if JM listened to you, we would've made the playoffs last year. I'm not attacking anyone here, i just don't mind giving JM credit when he makes, what i think, is a solid move.

About Ottawa, i read a couple articles as well, and a couple seemed like they were justifying why they didn't get the guy they actually wanted. It sounded an awful lot like sour grapes to me, but who knows.

The point is JM has done nothing wrong this offseason and i've heard a good amount of complaining about him still.

Since i haven't posted here in a bit, i'm wondering, would you have liked to see JM fired?

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:08 PM
  #21
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Meh, I read that Ottawa picked their guy before and then Debour signed the next day with us and San Jose also signed their guy before.

Get over myself? I said I was ecstatic.

If JM thought his style of coaching and system were working the logical thing to do would have been to hire a coach who was similar. With the hiring of a coach who appears to be more different than similar this can lead to my conclusion that it gives credibility to JM being a failure as a head coach.

People need to stop fawning over JM the GM. He has been an average GM so far. Too many people confuse not making terrible moves with being a great GM.
Meh, he chose Florida. Didn't it come out that Ottawa wanted him and went to their guy after finding out he chose Florida? Atlanta and LA also wanted to interview him for the position and most in the hockey world have touted this guy.

He hired what he thought was best for the team, which shows that he's smart enough to understand that his name is attatched to whomever is the coach. He's the GM, he hired the best guy out there, that's his job, not to prove his validity and system as you so fervently claimed he would.

Noone's fawning, as I said, give credit where it's due. He hasn't been bent over on trades, Kilger hasn't panned out, but he's also brought in Matthias, Vokoun, Welch, Skrastins, and got rid of Salei and Gratton.
He's signed the kids long term, got an enforcer and signed him, etc.

You confuse everything he's done and rip it apart, it's tired and old. What exactly are you looking for? Who did you want brought in that would've made you stop whining?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:11 PM
  #22
Booth10
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Meh, I read that Ottawa picked their guy before and then Debour signed the next day with us and San Jose also signed their guy before.

Get over myself? I said I was ecstatic.

If JM thought his style of coaching and system were working the logical thing to do would have been to hire a coach who was similar. With the hiring of a coach who appears to be more different than similar this can lead to my conclusion that it gives credibility to JM being a failure as a head coach.

People need to stop fawning over JM the GM. He has been an average GM so far. Too many people confuse not making terrible moves with being a great GM.
If you read the reports you would see that Deboer choose Florida over Ottawa, San Jose. and LA. I think those teams just hired the next best when they realized they werent going to get him.
The owner of the Senators flew Deboer to Bermuda, where he lives, to get him to come to Ottawa and then flew to Ottawa the next day to meet Hartsburg and get him signed. If it wasnt a rush to make it seem like they were getting their first pick, why did he have Deboer come to his home in Bermuda and not Hartsburg? Then rush up to Ottawa the next day to make it look good.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:18 PM
  #23
Booth10
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Meh, he chose Florida. Didn't it come out that Ottawa wanted him and went to their guy after finding out he chose Florida? Atlanta and LA also wanted to interview him for the position and most in the hockey world have touted this guy.

He hired what he thought was best for the team, which shows that he's smart enough to understand that his name is attatched to whomever is the coach. He's the GM, he hired the best guy out there, that's his job, not to prove his validity and system as you so fervently claimed he would.

Noone's fawning, as I said, give credit where it's due. He hasn't been bent over on trades, Kilger hasn't panned out, but he's also brought in Matthias, Vokoun, Welch, Skrastins, and got rid of Salei and Gratton.
He's signed the kids long term, got an enforcer and signed him, etc.

You confuse everything he's done and rip it apart, it's tired and old. What exactly are you looking for? Who did you want brought in that would've made you stop whining?

How about overlooking two great draft years, signing Horton,Weiss and Allen to long term deals. Getting what amounts to a first round pick for Gratton and now out gunning all the other teams for this great coaching prospect.

Just avoiding bad moves is good enough, but he has made a bunch of fine ones. Give credit where it is due.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:22 PM
  #24
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Meh, he chose Florida. Didn't it come out that Ottawa wanted him and went to their guy after finding out he chose Florida? Atlanta and LA also wanted to interview him for the position and most in the hockey world have touted this guy.

He hired what he thought was best for the team, which shows that he's smart enough to understand that his name is attatched to whomever is the coach. He's the GM, he hired the best guy out there, that's his job, not to prove his validity and system as you so fervently claimed he would.

Noone's fawning, as I said, give credit where it's due. He hasn't been bent over on trades, Kilger hasn't panned out, but he's also brought in Matthias, Vokoun, Welch, Skrastins, and got rid of Salei and Gratton.
He's signed the kids long term, got an enforcer and signed him, etc.

You confuse everything he's done and rip it apart, it's tired and old. What exactly are you looking for? Who did you want brought in that would've made you stop whining?
I said I was ecstatic.

Time will tell if this is a good move. Making judgments now is pointless yet you seem to think the cup is on its way.

You still don't understand what I was saying with regards to his system and style of coaching. JM thought his style and system were the best for this team, which he should. Or else he would be a moron to implement an system/style which was not the best for this team. Now, he hires a coach who is different. Making me come to the reasoned conclusion that JM came to the realization that his coaching style/system was ineffective and not working.

No, people are fawning over him. Someone on the NHL talk forum said JM is one of the best GMs in the league, ROFL.

Maybe you don't remember the discussion and lesson taught about Matthias and how he is not ready to handle top minutes for 82 games. Matthias will probably be good but not great and will not be able to fill Jokinen's skates.

Welch is also overrated. Bringing in Vokoun is definitely up for debate. Do we need a top goalie who is expensive when we are not even close to competing for the cup? We had almost the same record with Auld and Belfour. Skrastins has played well and so has Cullimore and Johansson. But Zednik, Dvorak and Stumpel were bad moves. They are overpaid lineup fillers. He has stilled failed to get us a top line winger who is desperately needed. We also drafted Ellerby who was definitely not the best player available. Of course you talk about getting an enforcer because you are obsessed with enforcers. Who was the enforcer on Detroit and Carolina when they won their cups? Thanks. He also brought in Garth Murray to fill that role. Locking up Horton may have taken some motivation out of him or it was his inability to coach. Also, he started to have problems with our best forward.


Last edited by Panthers Rock: 06-14-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Flaming
OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:37 PM
  #25
Booth10
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
From the Ottawa paper


From an outsider's point of view, it appeared DeBoer had been the front-runner for the Senators' position, if only because he was wined and dined by Melnyk in Barbados.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.