HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Is JM going to Do Next?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2008, 08:39 PM
  #26
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
I agree with some of your points. Most of them are coaching problems, and i really did not like JM as a coach.

As a GM, on the other hand, i've definitely complained about the acquisition of Zednik. I don't think that was the move we needed to make. So, i complained, but i've moved on, i'm looking to see what happens this off-season.

As far as Vokoun goes.. i don't know how many times you see that good of a player at that tough of a position go for that good of a deal. I mean.. don't expect to see that anytime soon. And getting a 2nd rounder (in many ways a late 1st rounder) for gratton... just robbery.

Murray was supposed to be a short-term move until we got someone better. The injury was unfortunate, but we have since improved on Murray by getting Belak. Belak is great for the locker room, and can change games with his right hand alone. Again, we had a need, he filled it.

If he fails to sign JBo, i'll complain. If he fails to sign Olesz, i'll complain. But i'm optimistic, so sue me.

He's made some really awesome moves. No one is calling for the cup, i don't think that you think we're that stupid. And if you do, well thats just plain unfortunate.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:44 PM
  #27
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
I said I was ecstatic.

Time will tell if this is a good move. Making judgments now is pointless yet you seem to think the cup is on its way.

You still don't understand what I was saying with regards to his system and style of coaching. JM thought his style and system were the best for this team, which he should. Or else he would be a moron to implement an system/style which was not the best for this team. Now, he hires a coach who is different. Making me come to the reasoned conclusion that JM came to the realization that his coaching style/system was ineffective and not working.

No, people are fawning over him. Someone on the NHL talk forum said JM is one of the best GMs in the league, ROFL.

Maybe you don't remember the discussion and lesson taught about Matthias and how he is not ready to handle top minutes for 82 games. Matthias will probably be good but not great and will not be able to fill Jokinen's skates.

Welch is also overrated. Bringing in Vokoun is definitely up for debate. Do we need a top goalie who is expensive when we are not even close to competing for the cup? We had almost the same record with Auld and Belfour. Skrastins has played well and so has Cullimore and Johansson. But Zednik, Dvorak and Stumpel were bad moves. They are overpaid lineup fillers. He has stilled failed to get us a top line winger who is desperately needed. We also drafted Ellerby who was definitely not the best player available. Of course you talk about getting an enforcer because you are obsessed with enforcers. Who was the enforcer on Detroit and Carolina when they won their cups? Thanks. He also brought in Garth Murray to fill that role. Locking up Horton may have taken some motivation out of him or it was his inability to coach. Also, he started to have problems with our best forward.
You seriously have no idea what you're talking about and you're flaming other people so I guess I'll throw my two cents in. Deboer fills a need that JM knows is needed. He got a coach that plays an aggressive DEFENSIVE style and requires that all his players contribute. JM knew this guy was the best guy to lead a young team to the playoffs. He treats everyone fairly and you've got him marked as a possible bad sign? If this signing goes bad then it will come to EVERYONE'S surprise as he is expected to be a great NHL coach.

Yes we need Vokoun, are you kidding me? The ONLY way a defensive team gets to the playoffs is with very solid goaltending. Belfour (ex-all star) played amazing last year and alot of injuries and laziness of certain players (mainly Jokinen and Horton) made us finish around the same point total as last year. Stumpel put up around a 55 point season when he had to be re-signed before and it would have been incredibly stupid to not re-sign him, he had a bad year with a few injuries and hopefully he can turn it around (I think he's like 36 so he helps give the young guys some experience too). Ellerby at the time was expected to become a top-2 defender but he had a rough season and I believe he can still turn it around and become a top-4 or even still a top-2 but it will take longer than expected probobly.

Also, I disagree with you guys stating matthias cant handle an 82 game season. The training staff will help him to accomplish that goal if he really needs help with his stamina (we have a training camp and development camp for that).

The only bad move was Garth Murray, I guess he thought he could be a quick-fix until febuary rolled around and he could get his hands on a belak-type enforcer. It wasn't bad because it didn't affect us, but it wasn't good.


Last edited by Panthers Rock: 06-14-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Quoted flaming post
hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:45 PM
  #28
SufferingCatFan
Registered User
 
SufferingCatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fort lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 1,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
I said I was ecstatic.

Time will tell if this is a good move. Making judgments now is pointless yet you seem to think the cup is on its way.

You still don't understand what I was saying with regards to his system and style of coaching. JM thought his style and system were the best for this team, which he should. Or else he would be a moron to implement an system/style which was not the best for this team. Now, he hires a coach who is different. Making me come to the reasoned conclusion that JM came to the realization that his coaching style/system was ineffective and not working.

No, people are fawning over him. Someone on the NHL talk forum said JM is one of the best GMs in the league, ROFL.

Maybe you don't remember the discussion and lesson taught about Matthias and how he is not ready to handle top minutes for 82 games. Matthias will probably be good but not great and will not be able to fill Jokinen's skates.

Welch is also overrated. Bringing in Vokoun is definitely up for debate. Do we need a top goalie who is expensive when we are not even close to competing for the cup? We had almost the same record with Auld and Belfour. Skrastins has played well and so has Cullimore and Johansson. But Zednik, Dvorak and Stumpel were bad moves. They are overpaid lineup fillers. He has stilled failed to get us a top line winger who is desperately needed. We also drafted Ellerby who was definitely not the best player available. Of course you talk about getting an enforcer because you are obsessed with enforcers. Who was the enforcer on Detroit and Carolina when they won their cups? Thanks. He also brought in Garth Murray to fill that role. Locking up Horton may have taken some motivation out of him or it was his inability to coach. Also, he started to have problems with our best forward.
When JM took over as GM, the cupboard was bare. He turned chicken ****into chicken soup by trading an injured Bertuzzi and an aging Roberts for Mattias and Welch. His trade of Gratton has also turned into the 31st pick in a strong draft. The Vokoun trade represents value for value, but no one can fairly suggest that it was a "bad" trade from the Panthers perspective.

Welch is not overrated. He is a young D-man with top 4 potential signed to a reasonable contract, who was injured last year. Yes, Zednick, Dvorak, and Stumpel are fillers, but they were each signed to play that role on short term contracts expiring at the end of the upcoming season. Most would agree that a young team like the Panthers needs an enforcer.

Agree that JM did not do a great job of coaching last season nor did he do a terrible job.


Last edited by Panthers Rock: 06-14-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Quoted flaming post
SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2008, 08:51 PM
  #29
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
I said I was ecstatic.

Time will tell if this is a good move. Making judgments now is pointless yet you seem to think the cup is on its way.

You still don't understand what I was saying with regards to his system and style of coaching. JM thought his style and system were the best for this team, which he should. Or else he would be a moron to implement an system/style which was not the best for this team. Now, he hires a coach who is different. Making me come to the reasoned conclusion that JM came to the realization that his coaching style/system was ineffective and not working.

No, people are fawning over him. Someone on the NHL talk forum said JM is one of the best GMs in the league, ROFL.

Maybe you don't remember the discussion and lesson taught about Matthias and how he is not ready to handle top minutes for 82 games. Matthias will probably be good but not great and will not be able to fill Jokinen's skates.

Welch is also overrated. Bringing in Vokoun is definitely up for debate. Do we need a top goalie who is expensive when we are not even close to competing for the cup? We had almost the same record with Auld and Belfour. Skrastins has played well and so has Cullimore and Johansson. But Zednik, Dvorak and Stumpel were bad moves. They are overpaid lineup fillers. He has stilled failed to get us a top line winger who is desperately needed. We also drafted Ellerby who was definitely not the best player available. Of course you talk about getting an enforcer because you are obsessed with enforcers. Who was the enforcer on Detroit and Carolina when they won their cups? Thanks. He also brought in Garth Murray to fill that role. Locking up Horton may have taken some motivation out of him or it was his inability to coach. Also, he started to have problems with our best forward.
Discussion and lesson?

No one has come close to saying the Cup is on the way, I've said nothing but these are steps in the right direction.

Vokoun's debatable? How? Zednik was a bad move? He had his throat ripped open and he's a proven scorer, streaky or not 20 to 30 goals is 20 to 30 goals. I hate Stumpel, but did you ignore his numbers the season prior? Dvorak is for the PK and the bottom lines, he did his job there.

Detroit had McCarty AND Downey genius, go pull up a roster, it's not hard. Look up Anaheim, Tampa Bay, etc. That's not hard, either. Guess you missed the enforcer on Carolina now, too? And the comments made by their GM as to why they called him up?

Name a team that hasn't had problems with their best players, you can't! Olli deserved to be called out, or is that you fawning over him?

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!

Last edited by Panthers Rock: 06-15-2008 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Flaming and quoted flaming post
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:16 AM
  #30
ratmanfu
Registered User
 
ratmanfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,403
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
As for what's next on JM's plate, I'm confident he will get Jay and Olesz inked to new deals.

As for potential FAs, I hope he can acquire some value. However, I think bringing Deboer in cements JM's commitment to youth and building the organization from within. So, we may be in for some more baby steps towards becoming a playoff team.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:29 AM
  #31
Slick Cat
Registered User
 
Slick Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
I'm not sure I'm following some of these conversations properly but are some of you actually giving martin credit for getting an enforcer. The same martin who consistently refused to get one, even while watching his young players get battered around, the same martin who's boss Allan Cohen admitted in an open forum that he had to tell him to get an enforcer because he was sick of watching his players get pushed around and who promissed the fans that this team would always have an enforcer as long as he was the owner. Belak is here because martin had no choice, and I'm thankful for that. We know who's boss and it ain't martin, otherwise he would be coach and GM of the softest team in the NHL.

Hopefullly this new coach will bring some of the fire that we need, but without the right players he can only do so much. Martin has a lot of work to do before you go throwing him any GM accolades. To start, it will take a lot more than a couple of rookies to make up for Ollie's consistent 35 goals a year, every year, even flanked by third line players. We need to add scoring forwards, not subtract them.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 12:34 AM
  #32
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner
 
JonathanHuberdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Towanna
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,048
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
You also said if JM listened to you, we would've made the playoffs last year. I'm not attacking anyone here, i just don't mind giving JM credit when he makes, what i think, is a solid move.

About Ottawa, i read a couple articles as well, and a couple seemed like they were justifying why they didn't get the guy they actually wanted. It sounded an awful lot like sour grapes to me, but who
Agreed. Solid move by JM. I think this coach is going to be great. He's going to motivate the players.

I think trading Olli might be a bad idea. As someone stated before, Deboer is an in your face coach (ala Keenan). Jokinen could respond to this sort of coaching again. Seeing Zednik back will definately lift his spirits.

I just hope we get Bouw signed SOON!

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 09:30 AM
  #33
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again
 
NJ_CATS_FAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: N.J.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
Agreed. Solid move by JM. I think this coach is going to be great. He's going to motivate the players.

I think trading Olli might be a bad idea. As someone stated before, Deboer is an in your face coach (ala Keenan). Jokinen could respond to this sort of coaching again. Seeing Zednik back will definately lift his spirits.

I just hope we get Bouw signed SOON!
Ive said it the other day and I stick by it. I really think the whole Bouw situation is controlled by who the new coach was going to be. Now that he is here, its all on Bouw now. Is he happy with the decision or not, that will impact his decision greatly. I personally think he will resign. He and everyone knows he is a HUGE part of this team now and the future. I expect some news regarding his resigning very soon.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 11:34 AM
  #34
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
I'm not sure I'm following some of these conversations properly but are some of you actually giving martin credit for getting an enforcer. The same martin who consistently refused to get one, even while watching his young players get battered around, the same martin who's boss Allan Cohen admitted in an open forum that he had to tell him to get an enforcer because he was sick of watching his players get pushed around and who promissed the fans that this team would always have an enforcer as long as he was the owner. Belak is here because martin had no choice, and I'm thankful for that. We know who's boss and it ain't martin, otherwise he would be coach and GM of the softest team in the NHL.

Hopefullly this new coach will bring some of the fire that we need, but without the right players he can only do so much. Martin has a lot of work to do before you go throwing him any GM accolades. To start, it will take a lot more than a couple of rookies to make up for Ollie's consistent 35 goals a year, every year, even flanked by third line players. We need to add scoring forwards, not subtract them.

Where and when did Cohen say that? He still re-signed him, and he still got one of the better fighters out there. I'm certainly not raining down praise for his getting Belak as we should have had a guy last year at the start of the season, but at least we didn't get another Murray, who was a fill-in imo. I just don't think he wanted any enforcer who doesn't add much to the team, Belak is pretty responsible for an enforcer.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:09 PM
  #35
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Discussion and lesson?

No one has come close to saying the Cup is on the way, I've said nothing but these are steps in the right direction.

Vokoun's debatable? How? Zednik was a bad move? He had his throat ripped open and he's a proven scorer, streaky or not 20 to 30 goals is 20 to 30 goals. I hate Stumpel, but did you ignore his numbers the season prior? Dvorak is for the PK and the bottom lines, he did his job there.

Detroit had McCarty AND Downey genius, go pull up a roster, it's not hard. Look up Anaheim, Tampa Bay, etc. That's not hard, either. Guess you missed the enforcer on Carolina now, too? And the comments made by their GM as to why they called him up?

Name a team that hasn't had problems with their best players, you can't! Olli deserved to be called out, or is that you fawning over him?
You really don't read my posts. Its obvious that you either skim them or read what you want. Took you three posts to realize I've been saying I'm ecstatic. Now, Vokoun has seem to slipped past you. I clearly tell you how it is debatable in my last post.

Zednik sucks. He was TERRIBLE before he went on his "hot streak" and it was likely that he wasn't going to be able to keep up his scoring. He has only scored over 20 goals three times in his career and can hardly be counted on for 20 to 30 goals.

Stumpel isn't as bad as people make him out to be but the problem with Stumpel is that he has been brought in to play on the top line, a position he is not worthy of. Despite his nice point totals it was time to put that money and Dvorak's toward a more worthy first liner. Dvorak is way overpaid as a fourth liner. He has stone hands and can easily be replaced with someone cheaper.

ROFL at McCarty and Downie being "enforcers" You fail to realize once again that having an enforcer isn't necessary to win the cup. An expensive goalie is also not necessary to win the cup. Sorry you're obsessed with enforcers.

Again, your logic is terrible. Just because there are teams who have problems with management and player(s) doesn't make it acceptable. Your logic is awful. Not every team has problems. Pitt and Detroit are two teams that don't have problems with their top players!!


Last edited by Panthers Rock: 06-15-2008 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Flaming
OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:14 PM
  #36
hoax15
Registered User
 
hoax15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: S. Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
You really don't read my posts. Its obvious that you either skim them or read what you want. Took you three posts to realize I've been saying I'm ecstatic. Now, Vokoun has seem to slipped past you. I clearly tell you how it is debatable in my last post.

Zednik sucks. He was TERRIBLE before he went on his "hot streak" and it was likely that he wasn't going to be able to keep up his scoring. He has only scored over 20 goals three times in his career and can hardly be counted on for 20 to 30 goals.

Stumpel isn't as bad as people make him out to be but the problem with Stumpel is that he has been brought in to play on the top line, a position he is not worthy of. Despite his nice point totals it was time to put that money and Dvorak's toward a more worthy first liner. Dvorak is way overpaid as a fourth liner. He has stone hands and can easily be replaced with someone cheaper.

ROFL at McCarty and Downie being "enforcers" You fail to realize once again that having an enforcer isn't necessary to win the cup. An expensive goalie is also not necessary to win the cup. Sorry you're obsessed with enforcers.

Again, your logic is terrible. Just because there are teams who have problems with management and player(s) doesn't make it acceptable. Your logic is awful. Not every team has problems. Pitt and Detroit are two teams that don't have problems with their top players!!
Nothing you just said makes any sense. Zednik was fine for his price, theres nothing we can do about stumpel except for buy him out for the moment and that costs a lot of $. Physical teams don't need an enforcer, but teams struggling to become physical and defensive should have an enforcer. If you think as a defensive team we don't need a goalie like Vokoun then you don't understand defensive hockey.


Last edited by Panthers Rock: 06-15-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Quoted flaming post
hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:17 PM
  #37
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
You seriously have no idea what you're talking about and you're flaming other people so I guess I'll throw my two cents in. Deboer fills a need that JM knows is needed. He got a coach that plays an aggressive DEFENSIVE style and requires that all his players contribute. JM knew this guy was the best guy to lead a young team to the playoffs. He treats everyone fairly and you've got him marked as a possible bad sign? If this signing goes bad then it will come to EVERYONE'S surprise as he is expected to be a great NHL coach.

Yes we need Vokoun, are you kidding me? The ONLY way a defensive team gets to the playoffs is with very solid goaltending. Belfour (ex-all star) played amazing last year and alot of injuries and laziness of certain players (mainly Jokinen and Horton) made us finish around the same point total as last year. Stumpel put up around a 55 point season when he had to be re-signed before and it would have been incredibly stupid to not re-sign him, he had a bad year with a few injuries and hopefully he can turn it around (I think he's like 36 so he helps give the young guys some experience too). Ellerby at the time was expected to become a top-2 defender but he had a rough season and I believe he can still turn it around and become a top-4 or even still a top-2 but it will take longer than expected probobly.

Also, I disagree with you guys stating matthias cant handle an 82 game season. The training staff will help him to accomplish that goal if he really needs help with his stamina (we have a training camp and development camp for that).

The only bad move was Garth Murray, I guess he thought he could be a quick-fix until febuary rolled around and he could get his hands on a belak-type enforcer. It wasn't bad because it didn't affect us, but it wasn't good.
Everyone expects him to be a great coach? O REALL? LINK PLEASE to EVERYONE!!

The 6 million dollar goaltender isn't necessary. Look at the teams in the finals and semi-finals. Only Dallas had an expensive goalie. The most expensive goalie in the league, Roberto, didn't even make the playoffs. In the salary cap era you have to divide up money b/w players and I think it isn't necessary to put so much money into one player when other goalies who are much cheaper can get the job done. We had the same record with Belfour! Nashville made the playoffs again without Vokoun! When Carolina won their cup they used Cam freakin Ward!

Stumpel isn't worthy of the first line. That is why it is stupid to resign him.

Too many people are expecting a lot from Matthias, prepare to be disappointed in the short term. His two goals have caused many people to vastly overrate him. He will be good but not great and probably be good in three years at the minimum.

The only bad move was not Garth Murray.


Last edited by Panthers Rock: 06-15-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Flaming
OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:19 PM
  #38
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Nothing you just said makes any sense. Zednik was fine for his price, theres nothing we can do about stumpel except for buy him out for the moment and that costs a lot of $. Physical teams don't need an enforcer, but teams struggling to become physical and defensive should have an enforcer. If you think as a defensive team we don't need a goalie like Vokoun then you don't understand defensive hockey.
Our "defensive hockey" has proven it doesn't work for this team. Sorry you don't want to take an honest look at this team. But you're the guy who doesn't include OT losses as losses when counting a team's winning percentage, ROFL.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:20 PM
  #39
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Nothing you just said makes any sense. Zednik was fine for his price, theres nothing we can do about stumpel except for buy him out for the moment and that costs a lot of $. Physical teams don't need an enforcer, but teams struggling to become physical and defensive should have an enforcer. If you think as a defensive team we don't need a goalie like Vokoun then you don't understand defensive hockey.
Zednik was not fine for the price. He isn't good enough for the first line. We already have enough second line players. He isn't a grinder or particularly good defensively.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:23 PM
  #40
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckdaddy View Post
When JM took over as GM, the cupboard was bare. He turned chicken ****into chicken soup by trading an injured Bertuzzi and an aging Roberts for Mattias and Welch. His trade of Gratton has also turned into the 31st pick in a strong draft. The Vokoun trade represents value for value, but no one can fairly suggest that it was a "bad" trade from the Panthers perspective.

Welch is not overrated. He is a young D-man with top 4 potential signed to a reasonable contract, who was injured last year. Yes, Zednick, Dvorak, and Stumpel are fillers, but they were each signed to play that role on short term contracts expiring at the end of the upcoming season. Most would agree that a young team like the Panthers needs an enforcer.

Agree that JM did not do a great job of coaching last season nor did he do a terrible job.
Welch is overrated. He isn't young. He is 26. If he was such a promising d-prospect Pitt wouldn't have traded him for what was at the time a rental...

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:24 PM
  #41
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
You really don't read my posts. Its obvious that you either skim them or read what you want. Took you three posts to realize I've been saying I'm ecstatic. Now, Vokoun has seem to slipped past you. I clearly tell you how it is debatable in my last post.

Zednik sucks. He was TERRIBLE before he went on his "hot streak" and it was likely that he wasn't going to be able to keep up his scoring. He has only scored over 20 goals three times in his career and can hardly be counted on for 20 to 30 goals.

Stumpel isn't as bad as people make him out to be but the problem with Stumpel is that he has been brought in to play on the top line, a position he is not worthy of. Despite his nice point totals it was time to put that money and Dvorak's toward a more worthy first liner. Dvorak is way overpaid as a fourth liner. He has stone hands and can easily be replaced with someone cheaper.

ROFL at McCarty and Downie being "enforcers" You fail to realize once again that having an enforcer isn't necessary to win the cup. An expensive goalie is also not necessary to win the cup. Sorry you're obsessed with enforcers.

Again, your logic is terrible. Just because there are teams who have problems with management and player(s) doesn't make it acceptable. Your logic is awful. Not every team has problems. Pitt and Detroit are two teams that don't have problems with their top players!!
Stumpel had an above average season the season before last. Thats why JM brought him back. And it just-so-happened that he had chemistry with Olli. Thats why he got first line minutes (though i definitely disagree with that). To me, Stumpel is a waste. Even 2 seasons ago, i didn't like him much. Anyone who plays half a season, i don't know... i just can't vouch for them.

As for the never-ending enforcer argument... sure, it possible to win the cup without an enforcer. But you have to agree that historically, more teams have won the cup WITH the enforcer than without one.


Last edited by Panthers Rock: 06-15-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Quoted flaming post, unnecessary to respond to flaming (i.e. please report next time)
Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:25 PM
  #42
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Stumpel had an above average season the season before last. Thats why JM brought him back. And it just-so-happened that he had chemistry with Olli. Thats why he got first line minutes (though i definitely disagree with that). To me, Stumpel is a waste. Even 2 seasons ago, i didn't like him much. Anyone who plays half a season, i don't know... i just can't vouch for them.

As for the never-ending enforcer argument... sure, it possible to win the cup without an enforcer. But you have to agree that historically, more teams have won the cup WITH the enforcer than without one.

And i think you guys should stop taking personal shots at each other.... adding stuff like "pwn3d" at the end of your post doesn't really add any credibility to your argument.
I never said Belak was a bad trade.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:39 PM
  #43
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
I never said Belak was a bad trade.
I didn't mention Belak...

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 02:41 PM
  #44
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
I didn't mention Belak...
I agree with what you are saying about enforcers.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:29 PM
  #45
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
You really don't read my posts. Its obvious that you either skim them or read what you want. Took you three posts to realize I've been saying I'm ecstatic. Now, Vokoun has seem to slipped past you. I clearly tell you how it is debatable in my last post.

Zednik sucks. He was TERRIBLE before he went on his "hot streak" and it was likely that he wasn't going to be able to keep up his scoring. He has only scored over 20 goals three times in his career and can hardly be counted on for 20 to 30 goals.

Stumpel isn't as bad as people make him out to be but the problem with Stumpel is that he has been brought in to play on the top line, a position he is not worthy of. Despite his nice point totals it was time to put that money and Dvorak's toward a more worthy first liner. Dvorak is way overpaid as a fourth liner. He has stone hands and can easily be replaced with someone cheaper.

ROFL at McCarty and Downie being "enforcers" You fail to realize once again that having an enforcer isn't necessary to win the cup. An expensive goalie is also not necessary to win the cup. Sorry you're obsessed with enforcers.

Again, your logic is terrible. Just because there are teams who have problems with management and player(s) doesn't make it acceptable. Your logic is awful. Not every team has problems. Pitt and Detroit are two teams that don't have problems with their top players!!
I read your posts, I don't agree with them and it's not to hard to read between the lines.

What's "debatable" about Vokoun? What is there to debate? I don't get it, oh, it's your opinion that his acquisition is debatable so therefore it is? uh, ok. I mean, other than GP, everyone as a whole disagrees. You're in the minority there.

Zednik was "TERRIBLE?" He certainly wasn't outstanding by any stretch, especially the 20 or so games, but "TERRIBLE?" He still got nearly a point every other game, that's not "TERRIBLE." If you could take off your Martin hating glasses, you'd see that he's finally allowing this team to be re-built properly and brought those guys in and back as filler, same as Murray was. You clearly don't know how to re-build a team.

Dvorak was overpaid, but isn't everyone these days? He did thejob he was brought in to do.

Aaron Downey's not an enforcer? McCarty didn't play that role most of his career? ROFL? Again? I mean, did you really? I doubt you did. You clearly don't know what an enforcer is or what role he plays. Nice that you ignored the other examples I put out there so far as enforcers. How many did Anaheim have on that team?
You and GP like to throw out the "You don't need an expensive goalie" bit all teh time, yet all these guys eventually get paid, so you still need a high calibre goalie, or did Osgood not play in that fashion? Cam Ward? What about Giggy? Khabi? Roy? You and your boy have zero proof to support your claim.

Who's logic is terrible? How's that my logic? I simply said that things happen and Olli HIMSELF said he didn't play 100% in like 68 games or so. The coach is supposed to just let a comment like that stay out there???

C'mon.


Last edited by Panthers Rock: 06-15-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Quoted flaming post
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:35 PM
  #46
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I read your posts, I don't agree with them and it's not to hard to read between the lines.

What's "debatable" about Vokoun? What is there to debate? I don't get it, oh, it's your opinion that his acquisition is debatable so therefore it is? uh, ok. I mean, other than GP, everyone as a whole disagrees. You're in the minority there.

Zednik was "TERRIBLE?" He certainly wasn't outstanding by any stretch, especially the 20 or so games, but "TERRIBLE?" He still got nearly a point every other game, that's not "TERRIBLE." If you could take off your Martin hating glasses, you'd see that he's finally allowing this team to be re-built properly and brought those guys in and back as filler, same as Murray was. You clearly don't know how to re-build a team.

Dvorak was overpaid, but isn't everyone these days? He did thejob he was brought in to do.

Aaron Downey's not an enforcer? McCarty didn't play that role most of his career? ROFL? Again? I mean, did you really? I doubt you did. You clearly don't know what an enforcer is or what role he plays. Nice that you ignored the other examples I put out there so far as enforcers. How many did Anaheim have on that team?
You and GP like to throw out the "You don't need an expensive goalie" bit all teh time, yet all these guys eventually get paid, so you still need a high calibre goalie, or did Osgood not play in that fashion? Cam Ward? What about Giggy? Khabi? Roy? You and your boy have zero proof to support your claim.

Who's logic is terrible? How's that my logic? I simply said that things happen and Olli HIMSELF said he didn't play 100% in like 68 games or so. The coach is supposed to just let a comment like that stay out there???

C'mon.
I get private messages from people who post here who tell me they agree with what I say and I'm crazy trying to debate with people here and I'm beginning to believe them...

Basically, the results speak for themselves. Look at our record

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:41 PM
  #47
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
I get private messages from people who post here who tell me they agree with what I say and I'm crazy trying to debate with people here and I'm beginning to believe them...

Basically, the results speak for themselves. Look at our record
Yeah well, I've never seen anything about that and I'm sure most of them don't know much obout the Panthers. You can go to the comments on TSN and ESPN and see that most don't know what they're talking about.

All I've ever said was that things are finally moving in the right direction and the team is finally in nearly a decade re-building the right way.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:44 PM
  #48
OneOfTheHockeyGods*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah well, I've never seen anything about that and I'm sure most of them don't know much obout the Panthers. You can go to the comments on TSN and ESPN and see that most don't know what they're talking about.

All I've ever said was that things are finally moving in the right direction and the team is finally in nearly a decade re-building the right way.
ROFL at not being able to see my private messages!
ROFL at being sure they don't know what they're talking about!

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:49 PM
  #49
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
You and GP like to throw out the "You don't need an expensive goalie" bit all teh time, yet all these guys eventually get paid, so you still need a high calibre goalie, or did Osgood not play in that fashion?
C'mon.
You don't need an expensive goalie and Osgood is the case in point, a $1.4 mil cap figure. I NEVER said you don't need a goalie that is playing at a high level. Of course, these guys eventually will carry a high price tag though in Osgood's case that will be awhile, he's signed through 2010/11 at that $1.4 mil cap figure. When these guys eventually do go for the big money, that is when you cut them loose and look for the next bargain basement goalie. At least one turns up every season in the NHL.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2008, 03:53 PM
  #50
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig
 
I May Be Wrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I read your posts, I don't agree with them and it's not to hard to read between the lines.

What's "debatable" about Vokoun? What is there to debate? I don't get it, oh, it's your opinion that his acquisition is debatable so therefore it is? uh, ok. I mean, other than GP, everyone as a whole disagrees. You're in the minority there.

Zednik was "TERRIBLE?" He certainly wasn't outstanding by any stretch, especially the 20 or so games, but "TERRIBLE?" He still got nearly a point every other game, that's not "TERRIBLE." If you could take off your Martin hating glasses, you'd see that he's finally allowing this team to be re-built properly and brought those guys in and back as filler, same as Murray was. You clearly don't know how to re-build a team.

Dvorak was overpaid, but isn't everyone these days? He did thejob he was brought in to do.

Aaron Downey's not an enforcer? McCarty didn't play that role most of his career? ROFL? Again? I mean, did you really? I doubt you did. You clearly don't know what an enforcer is or what role he plays. Nice that you ignored the other examples I put out there so far as enforcers. How many did Anaheim have on that team?
You and GP like to throw out the "You don't need an expensive goalie" bit all teh time, yet all these guys eventually get paid, so you still need a high calibre goalie, or did Osgood not play in that fashion? Cam Ward? What about Giggy? Khabi? Roy? You and your boy have zero proof to support your claim.

Who's logic is terrible? How's that my logic? I simply said that things happen and Olli HIMSELF said he didn't play 100% in like 68 games or so. The coach is supposed to just let a comment like that stay out there???

C'mon.
Well, as to the Zednik statement, Martin said he was planning on making the playoffs last season, not sure that you can rebuild and be in the playoffs at the same time. If you do plan on making the playoffs, atleast sign legit forwards for your top six. Hoping Zednik would return to his MTL days as a 30 goal consistent scorer was blind. Zed is a 3rd liner at best but even then does not hold defensive abilities. He really does not fit on the team.

Vokoun is a good goaltender yes, but there are others who do not cost as much and can put up a performance around his area. The trade itself was good, but there is logic in having a quality goaltender who does not have a monster salary to go a long with it.

If we paid Dvorak to just come in and skate fast for the team, then thats frightening.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.