HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

What Is JM going to Do Next?

Old
06-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Rattrick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
You don't need an expensive goalie and Osgood is the case in point, a $1.4 mil cap figure. I NEVER said you don't need a goalie that is playing at a high level. Of course, these guys eventually will carry a high price tag though in Osgood's case that will be awhile, he's signed through 2010/11 at that $1.4 mil cap figure. When these guys eventually do go for the big money, that is when you cut them loose and look for the next bargain basement goalie. At least one turns up every season in the NHL.
HA! Osgood freaking sucks. Did you see how poorly he played in the All Star game when he didn't have a lock tight defense in front of him? The only reason the Wings won the cup with a $1.4 million goalie is because their defense is a damn near $18 million defense. Nice try though.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
HA! Osgood freaking sucks. Did you see how poorly he played in the All Star game when he didn't have a lock tight defense in front of him? The only reason the Wings won the cup with a $1.4 million goalie is because their defense is a damn near $18 million defense. Nice try though.
Another comment that proves my point. Spending money on other assets besides goal thereby strengthening a team overall allows you to play a cheaper goalie. I'm not against spending money on a team, just in goal where one injury could kill your chances at success. I want more eggs in my basket for success instead of hoping my lone Golden Egg doesn't break.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Ginoro

JM was interviewed this morning on CKAC in Montreal and he pretty much said his main concern was to improve the defense and that a guy like Jokinen was available for the right D-Man.

Just saying and thought you'd want to know, not sure if it's something he made clear before.

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Georgia Panther

So in JM's grand scheme, Jokinen is traded for "the right D-Man" and then who is our Number One Center? Stumpel?

Old
06-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Hey guys. A few things. First...I think we all saw last season that we have two goalies capable of handling multiple games for us. I think next season we are going to see Andy get a lot more starts than this season, and if we can make a playoff run, that would benefit Vokoun down the stretch. As much as I think that you need a hot goalie in net during the playoffs, rather than a big named one, Im happy with Vokoun here.

Second...Olli needs to stay now with the hiring of our new coach. He sounds like exactly what Olli needs to be put back on track. Ive said it for so long and will so again...Olli is a 100 point player in this league if he just has some true linemates to work with. I just cant see this team improving if we deal Olli, no matter who or how high of a pick is brought back. Its a step backwards for the next season or two IMO.

With the addition of DeBoer as our new head coach, we should see a big improvement in the scheme from our top line to our backup goaltender. It sounds like we are going to be a bit more up tempo, utilizing our speed on the wing. If thats the case, then Bouw needs to be resigned ASAP and another Dman needs to be brought in. Unfortunately, i dont see forwards added unless others are traded/bought out. I think we are capable of putting up enough goals if we improve our offense, and if our man games lost is more along the league average. I just hope that Olli does indeed stay and Bouw is signed longterm on the eve of the draft, so all these ideas can be put to rest.

Dont look for the offense to improve dramatically if Martin refuses to bring in offensive help.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
Dont look for the offense to improve dramatically if Martin refuses to bring in offensive help.
oh yeah, i forgot that Matthias isn't an option.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:34 AM
BabyJagrov

Olli will be gone at the draft... That's for sure !

And we'll have a great deal in our hands, we'll just need Martin to sign Redden and a center like Demitra or something, and we'll be set !

Mark my words !

Gotta go, watch the press conference of THE new man in town !

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Georgia Panther

Anyone, ANYONE think Matthias, Frolik or Repek could replace Jokinen's production this coming season if Olli is traded for that "Right D-Man"?

Old
06-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Holy Jokinen

And anyone who thinks Olli is gonna be traded for 1 Dman...

i mean, come on. Seriously?

Old
06-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagr View Post
Olli will be gone at the draft... That's for sure !

And we'll have a great deal in our hands, we'll just need Martin to sign Redden and a center like Demitra or something, and we'll be set !

Mark my words !

Gotta go, watch the press conference of THE new man in town !
MARKED

Old
06-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
And anyone who thinks Olli is gonna be traded for 1 Dman...

i mean, come on. Seriously?
Just going by the quote about JM's stated intentions.

Ginoro" JM was interviewed this morning on CKAC in Montreal and he pretty much said his main concern was to improve the defense and that a guy like Jokinen was available for the right D-Man."

Old
06-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Just going by the quote about JM's stated intentions.

Ginoro" JM was interviewed this morning on CKAC in Montreal and he pretty much said his main concern was to improve the defense and that a guy like Jokinen was available for the right D-Man."
Right, but that quote doesn't mean, i'll trade jokinen for a top Dman. It means that Olli could be available if the price is right, which would include a top Dman.

Anyways, since when does JM say what he's gonna do before he does it? Especially on Canadian radio....

Old
06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Anyone, ANYONE think Matthias, Frolik or Repek could replace Jokinen's production this coming season if Olli is traded for that "Right D-Man"?
I know him a big fan of his, and I may be biased... But Frolik is twice the player Olli is !

And I love Olli, I would like him to stay ! But I don't have a good feeling about my captain saying I wouldn't mind giving the "C"... Olli is not a leader... A great first-line shooting center, an amazing combo of skills and size, but his leadership isn't his force !

Always trust Martin my friend, I'd rather trust the devil than god !

Old
06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Right, but that quote doesn't mean, i'll trade jokinen for a top Dman. It means that Olli could be available if the price is right, which would include a top Dman.

Anyways, since when does JM say what he's gonna do before he does it? Especially on Canadian radio....
But if a top Dman is included in a Jokinen deal, after him, what kind of forward would also be included? Certainly no one who could be EXPECTED to contribute anywhere near Jokinen's production.

Old
06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Ginoro

I'll try to translate exactly what he said :

"He's a big center, a number one center and as you know Michel(the host) there are many teams in the NHL that doesn't have a number 1 center so if there's a possibility of getting an excellent D-Man, then we'd have to think about it"

Before that he said "My objective is to improve our team and one of the aspect that we have to improve is our defense and to do that, we have a few players that are available"

Ginoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Hey GP, have any idea he was going to get the coach he did get? Vokoun? Sorry, he doesn't tip his hand.

06-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Georgia Panther

Baby Jagr:
"I know him a big fan of his, and I may be biased... But Frolik is twice the player Olli is !"

Once Frolik is able to stay healthy an entire season you might have THE START of an arguement to make. Forget the talent, compare how many games Jokinen has missed the last few seasons with the amount Frolik has missed.

Old
06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Georgia Panther

Laus723:
"Hey GP, have any idea he was going to get the coach he did get? Vokoun? Sorry, he doesn't tip his hand."

You have a valid point.

Old
06-16-2008, 12:02 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
the offense absolutely does NOT need to improve dramatically for this team to take the next step. this is at the root of the current difference of opinion and the numbers simply do not lie. we've gone through them all before (i.e., we outscored 3 of the 8 EC playoff teams).

sure, we need better and more consistent scoring (how many teams don't?) and sure, i'd like to see the type of play pitt and det are capable of but that's not the short term goal. now if olli is moved for a Dman, then we need to address the loss of ~70-80 pts. there are a number of ways this can all shake out that could help the club. we'll just have to see how JM plays this. it does appear that he's beating the drum for a trade, though.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 12:17 PM
BabyJagrov

"The fear of God is one we keep for special occasions"

Love it !

Old
06-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I liked that quote as well. Another interesting thing is that JM apparently interviewed DeBoer 2 weeks ago which just goes to show JM is very good at keeping a secret.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 12:35 PM
BabyJagrov

DeBoer seems great...

I really believe Martin when he said Peter was his top-choice for the job !

And I also believe Peter when he said we were his top-choice !

But who is the mysterious third-man JM didn't want to talk about ? Maybe it was Hartsburg... Then my theory would be flushed down the toilet !

Did anyone catch the question when DeBoer was laughing out loud ? Was it about meeting the captain of the team ?

Old
06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
the offense absolutely does NOT need to improve dramatically for this team to take the next step. this is at the root of the current difference of opinion and the numbers simply do not lie. we've gone through them all before (i.e., we outscored 3 of the 8 EC playoff teams).

sure, we need better and more consistent scoring (how many teams don't?) and sure, i'd like to see the type of play pitt and det are capable of but that's not the short term goal. now if olli is moved for a Dman, then we need to address the loss of ~70-80 pts. there are a number of ways this can all shake out that could help the club. we'll just have to see how JM plays this. it does appear that he's beating the drum for a trade, though.
For people thinking Matthias will come up and be the Panthers' savior, they have a rude of wakening coming, if Olli is traded for defense which isnt all bad.. and he brings up our prospects like Frolik/Matthias I just dont see it being the answer to the problem.. We just can't pin the offensive production lost from Olli on Matthias/Frolik. Yes trading Olli means other players stepping up, but I think it would be wise to bring in better free agents if we trade Olli. I mean if Martin does get his man via trade jokinen, then why not sign free agent forwards, I mean what the heck is the big deal? Let Matthias/Frolik/Repik stay down and develop.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 05:01 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

We need a top line winger more than a d-man. We need more scoring as it will take pressure of our d-men and allow them to play better. The numbers say we are 20th in the NHL in gpg and 14th in the NHL in goals against. Our biggest problem was not generating enough powerplays (29th in the league.) We get more powerplays we score more goals and we give our D a rest and it is likely the team on the penalty kill wont be scoring and killing penalties usually keeps the other team's best players off the ice. We had 5 teams in the eastern conference out score us who made the playoffs! I think this says it is easier to make the playoffs if you score more goals. Your spin is making me dizzy!@!!

Bringing in Liles will not improve this defense to the point of making a significant difference because good defense is a TEAM EFFORT. We could have two Lidstroms and two Maddens but if Jokinen doesn't bust his ass to get back to play D it doesn't matter who we have. Whereas our offensive ability is limited by the talent we have. It is easier to improve our team by bringing in a top 6 forward than bringing in a d-man.http://hfboards.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=14423073
HFBoards - Reply to Topic

Last edited by OneOfTheHockeyGods*: 06-16-2008 at 05:10 PM.
OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Hey GP, have any idea he was going to get the coach he did get? Vokoun? Sorry, he doesn't tip his hand.
This "tip his hand" crap is retarded. It would be stupid for JM to go out and say, "we are trading Jokinen for x,y, and z." No GM says who they will be trading or who they will be signing. JM wanted to sign Todd White but he was too expensive. Things in general can be predicted (sign a d-man or get a goalie) but cannot be said with certainty. As for Vokoun, I predicted it 100%. Check my past posts if you want.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote