HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

What Is JM going to Do Next?

Old
06-17-2008, 05:03 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Theres a quote going around that says he doesn't like the trap and doesn't want to play a martin-style game. His game will probably be a hybrid of offensive and defensive style but it will still rely heavily on either good two-way defenders (a puck-mover too because they can help in the offensive zone getting some puck possession time in the o-zone for PP's) and good goal tending which we have. I don't know, yes our forward do need to be better but they are all capable of putting together a fantastic year of hockey and our D-Core right now looks solid and it could use a puck-mover but it isn't like 'HOLY **** WE NEED ONE' haha. I don't know I think overall we shouldn't do....anything. Maybe buy out stumpy or something.
I'm for doing nothing if that means we save money this year to go after a $$$$ Forward. I'm afraid if we get someone this season we will be out of the market for significant UFA next year.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 05:28 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
I'm for doing nothing if that means we save money this year to go after a $$$$ Forward. I'm afraid if we get someone this season we will be out of the market for significant UFA next year.
Yeah but it all really depends on how well we do next year. If we are still a bottom team we would probobly go to the market but it will be tough to get someone who wants to come to a losing team.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Sedins? ROFL

We wont get back equal value. Doesn't happen.

Nobody was talking about a PMD at any point during the past season. Everyone was talking about first line forward. Transition game is largely a result of the coach. New coach = new transition game. Plus this PMD wont be making all of the passes out of the zone

We can improve our D without bringing in a D-man.
Doesn't happen? Heatley for Hossa! And just like that deal, Olli doesn't have to go anywhere, noone's hand is being forced. Heatley asked out, and it was granted. Olli, so far as we know, hasn't asked out. If Martin doesn't like the deal, he won't take it.

But why is that all that you touched on? What if he is able to get them? Not just for Olli, obviously, but what if? Will we not have an improved team with them? What about Gaborik? Or as you've asked for Lupul and Umberger?

Noone was talking about it? How many times did we wish Murphy was back to do something or compain about the defensive game and the dump and chase? Or the turnovers? Perhaps we weren't directly wanting one, but it's clear we all thought the defense needed work. And if you would have read my post more clearly, youd have seen that I siad he'll be a another guy paired up so we don't just have to rely on Bouw being the best pmd, which he's not really that great at. Where did I or anyone say or expect him to be out there all the time?

Deboer will improve the D, even if he replaces Kitchen it's improved.

06-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
UFA's aren't the end-all in helping the team. There are plenty that don't work as well as expected. See Blake alone for that proof. Teams need to have young players coming up, smart trades, and smart UFA acquisitions. I'm sure that's what you mean, but it's not wise to just back on the kids not being able to get it done and just think all of the draftees are going to fail. If they earn a spot, it's there's.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Matthias will be lucky to score 40 pts, half of Jokinen's production.
Idk, I think he can get 41points.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers_Fan View Post
I am on the side that the Panthers need to acquire a 1st line winger, but it seems like a lot of people are saying that Hossa is not an option as he's too expensive. I agree although I would love to have him on the team, but there are still plenty of people who could fill the role in our price range

Possible Forward UFA's
Really Like and could be affordable probably 4-5 million max with Demitra the most expensive
(L) Nagy, Ladislav
(R) Demitra, Pavol
(R) Rolston, Brian
(L) Shanahan, Brendan
(R) Vrbata, Radim

Other options
(R) Nolan, Owen
(C) Williams, Jason
(L) Stillman, Cory
(C) Prospal, Vaclav
(L) Naslund, Markus
(C) Fedorov, Sergei

Yes, some of these guys are old. So the Panthers should just sign them to a one or two year deal while they wait in see if any of their prospects develop into a 1st liner. I think I saw some statistic that less than 1 out of 3 1st rounders succeed in the NHL. I am reading some people saying that Mattias, Repik, and Frolik are going to be a future top 6 line for the Panthers when in all likelihood only 1 or none them will live up to expectations in the NHL considering only one of them is even a 1st rounder to begin with.
I think both Matthias & Frolik can be superstars in the NHL. Repik I see more of a role player like Mccarty in Detroit or a Tikanen before he retired, because Repik really excells in the playoffs just like they have.

Old
06-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Which makes his point even more significant.
No it doesn't. You don't know how a player will develop after being drafted. Look at Zetterburg in Detroit, he was drafted in the 7th round. Look at our 1st rounder Stewart a few years back, he's not even 1/10th of the player Zetterburg is.

Old
06-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Vokoun was a 9th rounder.
Wow, what a pick.

Old
06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
huh??? can you please explain in (hockey) english?
I meant, if we had more scoring we would have a bigger lead so when we are playing defense which is always we have more of a gap in the score to fall back on incase we let a goal in.

Old
06-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I meant, if we had more scoring we would have a bigger lead so when we are playing defense which is always we have more of a gap in the score to fall back on incase we let a goal in.
He's saying the best defense is a good offense.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
That's it exactly!!!

Old
06-18-2008, 09:46 AM
zeroG

Quote:
that's very easy to say. not so easy to accomplish. a coach's main responsibility is to assess his teams strengths and weaknesses and put together a system that best fits them; imo, JM had chosen a relatively conservative style but one that allowed the team to play to its strengths and away from weaknesses. when they played it well, they won. again, it would seem that the problem with this team last year was a lack of experience and a lack of commitment from its leaders.

it sounds like deboer is going to tweak things a bit, which sounds good. remember, though, he very likely won't be dealing with the same personnel so comparing a system he brings in to what JM was teaching is not very helpful (i know it's going to happen anyway, though).

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Apparently Brian Rolston is set to test the FA market...If Jokinen is traded this guy is at the top of my list to come in and captain this team..

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Just looking through the list of UFAs this offseason and wondered what everyone thought about the possibility of signing Vrbata? He had a solid year last year and could probably be had for cheap.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote